With Help From Emirates, Kiwis Can Fly !

Chivalrygirl

Nothing to do with HAL, but I just need to gloat. Just a little sailing matter :D Lack of sleep up and wide awake from 12 am to 5 am.......They did it, won the Louis Vuitton Cup, how great it would be if they could manage to get the BIG CUP back :D :D

Great weather team of course, :D includes yours truly nephew :D

Valerie

Congrats to the Kiwi team Val, and to your nephew! When you said Louis Vuitton, that threw me off. Are they the official sponsors?

As long as we're off on tangents, Val, what can you tell me about New Zealand's White Haven Sauvignon Blanc? Thanks!

Karin

So when does the next round, the America's Cup race, take place?

I don't remember. I read it in the Sports pages of the newspaper the other day, but, you have heard about short-term memory and old age, I presume? ;)

I don't pay as much attention to it now that it's not always in Newport. When the New York Yacht Club held the Cup for decades the race was local, but no more. :(

The finals start on June 23rd. The finals are a first to five series. The first boat to win 5 races wins the cup.

The Louis Vuitton Cup is the trophy that the challenger wins. When you win the Louis Vuitton Cup, you then take on the defender for the America's Cup. And just for reference, the America's Cup is actually named the One Hundred Guinea Cup, it has been called the America's Cup since then since the America was the first boat to win the cup in 1851

And yes it is the same Louis Vuitton that makes the bags and luggage. They have been the sponsor for the challenger series since 1987 if I recall correctly.

And rest assured, there are plenty of people here in the US that are interested in the cup. We've just been saddled with it being broadcast on a fairly obscure cable network.

Hi there Val:

Congratulations on a stupendous win and kudos to your nephew. You know that I would be cheering for the Kiwis anyway, given as how I love y'all so much anyway:D .

Yep - you are right there's not much interest here in The Americas' Cup. Yachting was one of the pleasures of the very (and I mean VERY) wealthy for many years and "The Cup" was proudly displayed by some yacht club back east - Newport (Rhode Island) I think, but it could have been somewhere in the New York area - who knows? Then some upstart from San Diego (where in the name of all that is holy is that? quoth the filthy rich back east:rolleyes: ). Well, there are certainly yachtspeople here waaaay out west but they're just not as much "into it", and that upstart lost the stupid Cup anyway.

A case in point: the last time "The Cup" was played out here in San Diego the whole fiasco was locally nicknamed "The Coma off Point Loma" - yep, it was that exciting:rolleyes:.

There was one incident though during "The Coma" that woke us up for a moment or two. During the trials, and I do believe that the Kiwis were out that day, and maybe the Italians? - anyway, it was a very, very foggy morning as it can be here at the coast and the ships were doing their thing off Point Loma when all of a sudden this monster hove into view: Okay, it was an Aircraft Carrier returning to port after having completed some War Games off the coast. We all thought it funny, because no-one was hurt, or even in any real danger (I mean, c'mon how can you not see an Aircraft Carrier ahead of you - they are bigger than some cities), but the U.S. Navy and the powers that be with The Americas' Cup took a different view and the senior personnel on the Carrier were severely reprimanded. Hey - we are a Navy town and our bay belongs to the Navy (unless of course I am on a HAL ship ready for my cruise and there is some Navy ship blocking our exit from the Bay;) ).

Once again, very many congratulations to New Zealand, the Land of the Long White Cloud, and especially to your nephew who did a great job and certainly has earned his moment in the sun.

Valerie:)

Chivalrygirl - it must be ESP! My husband just now came home & told me that the Kiwis won the Vuitton. Congratulations! Kiwis have always been great sailors. You have the weather for it. As 25 year former sailors, we've always taken an avid interest in the Americas Cup, especially back in the days when local boy, Dennis Connor, was manning the helm. Good luck to you!

And rest assured, there are plenty of people here in the US that are interested in the cup. We've just been saddled with it being broadcast on a fairly obscure cable network.

Are you by any chance from the east coast? I only ask since I have not heard anyone here in San Diego mention The Americas' Cup. Is there any way you can provide a link to the "fairly obscure cable network" without upsetting our board monitors? I really would be interested in watching something that may prove to be something other than the "Coma off Point Loma".

Thanks,

Chivalrygirl - it must be ESP! My husband just now came home & told me that the Kiwis won the Vuitton. Congratulations! Kiwis have always been great sailors. You have the weather for it. As 25 year former sailors, we've always taken an avid interest in the Americas Cup, especially back in the days when local boy, Dennis Connor, was manning the helm. Good luck to you!

Psst: Golfette: Dennis Connor was the one who lost the Cup!

Psst: Golfette: Dennis Connor was the one who lost the Cup!

Valerie correct :D and who did he lose it to ?? lol

and do you remember when the Australian boat broke in half just like a banana and sunk to the bottom of the sea ? :D

Some more infor for you guys, the Americas Cup is being sailed in Europe starting on the 23 June as other posters have stated for the first time since 1851.

Its a huge win for NZ, we are after all a very small country and I guess we have to thank our chief sponsors, namely Emirates and Toyota without them we would never have been there. We do have two Americans on our team, and very good sailors they are. However during the LV series there were a total of 37 NZs on the various syndicates, we produce some amazing sailors down here, and one does not need to be super rich to participate in the sailing culture either.

I should add that for the defenders Allinghi, it is helmed by one Ed Baird an American and all the rest of the afterguard and a whole heap of the crew are kiwis also. So I guess the Americas Cup racing will be Kiwis & Americans v Kiwis and Americans :-)

Cheers

Val

Thanks John, this idiot sat up all night, I am like a Zoombie today, it was a nail biting couple of hours and then of course I had to watch the joy of our sailors at the presentation, we know one or two of them quite well, our son used to sail with them.

Like I said above really quite an achievement from a small and not a particularly wealthy country.

Whether we can match the wealth of Mr Bertirelli (sp) remains to be seen, but I guess we managed the wealth of the Ities eh!

Thanks John, this idiot sat up all night, I am like a Zoombie today, it was a nail biting couple of hours and then of course I had to watch the joy of our sailors at the presentation, we know one or two of them quite well, our son used to sail with them.

Like I said above really quite an achievement from a small and not a particularly wealthy country.

Whether we can match the wealth of Mr Bertirelli (sp) remains to be seen, but I guess we managed the wealth of the Ities eh!

Did the winning crew get wet after the race?;)

Congratulations on a fabulous victory for New Zealand and your nephew Val !! You must be sooooo proud!!:D :D

I was in Valencia last fall and there was construction everywhere in preparation for the Americas Cup races.

Here is hoping the Kiwis have continuing successes!;) :D

P.S. We are going to be visiting Auckland and the surrounding area in April, 2009! I am looking forward to spending some time seeing at least the North Island of your wonderful country. In fact I could very much use your consul when you've a moment.

If you could email me at localadyatsurewestdotnet some time, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! :cool:

A US sportscaster said of a "chubby" Dennis Connor (who won the cup before he lost it) :

"At last we have a sports hero who not only can't touch his toes - he can't see 'em."

Congrats to the Kiwi team Val, and to your nephew! When you said Louis Vuitton, that threw me off. Are they the official sponsors?

As long as we're off on tangents, Val, what can you tell me about New Zealand's White Haven Sauvignon Blanc? Thanks!

Karin

Hi Karin

Sorry my friend I actually have not heard of this particular label, if its a Marlborough SB it will be good, I haven't actually found a bad SB from Marlborough yet, I am currently trying to wean myself off them. lol They just taste so good :D

Did the winning crew get wet after the race?;)

They sure did John, they were covered in Moet, the NZ news media in ValeNZia said the whole base was dripping in the stuff and it was all over the floor etc. I have had warm fuzzies all day, Dean Barker the skipper sailed at our club and used to train our Chris, its wonderful to see the achievement and total dedication these guys have displayed, no emotion until they crossed the line this morning and then it was all on :D

I also want to extent my Congratulations to your Nephew and New Zealand:) Hopefully you can get in a Cat Nap today.;)

Thanks Lisa and everyone else who is sending their best wishes I will most certainly pass them on to the team.

Yes Lisa I just had to put myself back to bed, done nothing all day except go for my daily walk and that was shortened. Oh well no more disturbed sleep now till the 23rd and then I am not sure if my nerves will stand up to it. The next one will be much tougher.

Val

By the way it is called the Americas Cup, but it seems not one American is remotely interested! Maybe that is how it was lost to the Americas because of lack of interest?

You are mistaken. ;) I have been watching as many of the "Louie Vuitton Acts and Round Round Robins" that Versus televised, also I have seen all the Louis Vuitton semi finals and finals. Now the real question is who is going to win the cup, Alinghi or Emitates NZ ?

Did you see Oracle smash into Luna Rossa during the prestart in the semi finals ?

Are you by any chance from the east coast? I only ask since I have not heard anyone here in San Diego mention The Americas' Cup. Is there any way you can provide a link to the "fairly obscure cable network" without upsetting our board monitors? I really would be interested in watching something that may prove to be something other than the "Coma off Point Loma".

Thanks,

I don't know about cable, but I am getting on "Versus" on my dish.

A US sportscaster said of a "chubby" Dennis Connor (who won the cup before he lost it) :

"At last we have a sports hero who not only can't touch his toes - he can't see 'em."

LOL

Do you remember T.Turner getting kicked out of the Newport Yacht Club ?

Archived