San Pedro questions

ute_fan

I have family that will be sailing on the Monarch of the Seas the end of June. They're flying in the morning of the cruise and will land at Long Beach Airport around 7:30 am. They're not scheduled to board the ship until 1 PM.

Here's their questions:

1 -- Can you rent a car at Long Beach airport and return it somewhere at (or near) the San Pedro pier?

2 -- If not, how early can you leave the luggage at the pier, and is there anything within walking distance that they could do?

They can't quite figure out what to do for those 4 or 5 hours until they can check onto the ship, given that they will have their luggage.

TIA for your help!

I have family that will be sailing on the Monarch of the Seas the end of June. They're flying in the morning of the cruise and will land at Long Beach Airport around 7:30 am. They're not scheduled to board the ship until 1 PM.

Here's their questions:

1 -- Can you rent a car at Long Beach airport and return it somewhere at (or near) the San Pedro pier?

2 -- If not, how early can you leave the luggage at the pier, and is there anything within walking distance that they could do?

They can't quite figure out what to do for those 4 or 5 hours until they can check onto the ship, given that they will have their luggage.

TIA for your help!

I've never done it (being somewhat local, I just drive to the pier when I need to) but...

I think getting a one-way rental Long Beach Airport to Pedro might not be that easy...check with Enterprise Rent-a-car as I think they may be closest to the pier and may do one-ways...

If not, I think you can drop off your luggage early...then, there's a trolley you can walk to...but it doesn't start operating until 10 am:

http://www.railwaypreservation.com/page8.html

This will take you down to Ports o' Call Village...not the greatest destination, but at least it's someplace you can kill time at...

http://www.sanpedrochamber.com/champint/portcall.htm

I wouldn't spend too long...they usually start letting people board by around 11:30, though you can't get to the cabins until around 1 pm...but you can go up to the Windjammer and eat...

You can also take the trolley above from the port parking lot to the Los Angeles Maritime Museum. It is in the old Terminal Island ferry building (the ferry was used before the Vincent Thomas bridge that soars above the cruise ship port was built) . If you love old ships, models, or history, it is a great way to spend a few hours for both kids and adults. Seaport Village is not much, but you can get a bite to eat there.

I wouldn't bother getting a car. You can probably take http://www.supershuttle.com for less than a car would cost you. By the time you get to the port, you will be able to check bags, although it will be very busy with disembarking passengers still. Then go visit the museum, and get back to the ship about 2PM (avoiding the crush at 1PM).

Just got off the Monarch last week for a 3 day cruise. We had a great time! You can board around 11:30 as a previous poster stated. The buffet is open too. By the time your family lands, collects their luggage and gets to the ship, it might be only an hour or so until boarding time. Have a great time!

I think I would have the family plan to get luggage at the airport, grab a bite to eat at the airport if people are really hungry and grab the SuperShuttle to the port. I don't think they will have that much time waiting, and a one way rental to the port is going to be hard to find. The biggest negative for me would be having out of town people have to drive on the freeways here. They are very busy, and easy to miss off ramps and get way out of your way.

And I hope you can get on the ship at 11 or so....it makes for a nice early start for the cruise.

Archived