Car Rental Recommendations MAN pick-up LON return

Any recommendations on companies that provide reasonable rates for this type of rental without excessive drop-off charges?

Is the typical estate large enough for a family of 4 with 4 extra large duffels with hand luggage to seat comfortably & safely? I really don't want to drive a van.

Thanks in advace!

I had a van from Budget a few years back and don't remember there being a drop-off charge at all, but I'd have to look for paperwork and double check.

I do remember them having a desk across from the terminal in MAN, but the cars actually come in from a remote office not too far away. Drop off at Heathrow was just across from the airport on one of the A-roads that circle it, not in the airport itself.

For 4 people and that much luggage, I personally think an estate (unless it was one of the larger ones like a big Volvo, MBZ, or Jag) might be a bit tight.

Whoops, my bad. It was Sixt, not Budget.

And although I haven't found my end of rental receipt yet, the e-confirmation for the rental does say that "one-way rentals may cause additional fees", but I really don't remember there being any.

Edit: But I just checked the Sixt web site and encounter a £30 drop-off fee for everything I try to rent. So either I'm mistaken or things have changed.

Thanks Big Wally, I was afraid you were going to say that regarding estates. I hate driving my wife's van. Perhaps the ones in the UK aren't quite as bulky as our Chrysler. I'll search some of the travel web sites as well as Sixt.

Any recommendations on companies that provide reasonable rates for this type of rental without excessive drop-off charges?

Is the typical estate large enough for a family of 4 with 4 extra large duffels with hand luggage to seat comfortably & safely? I really don't want to drive a van.

Thanks in advace!

Auto Europe doesn't charge drop-off fees, and has very good rates. (I think their web site is Autoeurope.com, but am not sure right now.)

Be sure to compare the two sites, Sixt and Auto Europe. I emailed Sixt directly and asked about it for our recent car rental in May. They did not allow you to return to another location, but we were renting from Stanstead, not the bigger Heathrow. (I would never want to drive into Heathrow, by the way; that place makes SFO and LAX look like the boondocks.)

Thanks to all for your responses! The extra cost of getting a big enough vehicle for carrying all of our stuff around just for the drive down to London doesn't make sense. I have just reserved a car for driving in the Manchester area and will turn it in at Piccadilly Station prior to taking the train into Central London.

Archived