Please Explain Princess Transfer Options in Anchorage

JeannetteC

My TA told me that for $59pp, I could sign up for the Princess transfer. Princess would handle my luggage from Egan Center and I would take the afternoon train to Whittier. I declined the transfer thinking that I could handle my own luggage and pay $10pp less to take the same train. Now, I realize that the afternoon train to Whittier must be a special train and that I've got to take the 10AM train if I do this on my own. Is that correct?

Also, I'm not having much success on Priceline for Anchorage hotels. Is there a Princess transfer option that includes a hotel and, if so, how much does the hotel cost? Thanks.

Everything in Alaska is expensive, so maybe you are not bidding high enough. Also, with all the tourists going through there from all the cruise lines, the hotels fill up quickly during the summer, so they can hold out for high prices.

LindaKE

Sun Princess(Alaska)
Carnival Inspiration

Not sure if this is much help but one of the hotels Princess uses is Captain Cook.

Last year I stayed there and found a good rate on Expedia (about $110/night). I had arranged my own train to Seward (Princess used Seward last year and not Whittier). The bell captain asked what I was doing (booking independently, taking train independently) and I told him - he told me to drop my luggage off with the Princess luggage tags with the bell captain in the morning and he would make sure that my luggage was put with the Princess passengers staying at the hotel and make sure it gets transported to the ship. Needless to say he got a big tip and so did the morning person.

The following day I took the train on my own. After checking in, I ventured into Seward. When I returned, my luggage was in my room. This helped out so much.

-------

If you want - it probably isn't too late to add Princess transfers or to add a hotel stay through Princess. It would probably be cheaper to book it directly but sometimes it is just worth it to pay more for the convenience - especially if you are not familiar with the area.

Correct- the regular run of the Alaska RR leaves around 10am. As for hotels- I have NEVER seen any bargains booking these through the cruiselines- they are per person rates that are sky high. If you want a "budget" property and don't have a car- look at the Ramada's? Bonus is they have airport and depot shuttles that yield considerable savings if needed. I have stayed at the Muldoon property, there is now the converted Ramada former, Howard Johnson downtown that is supposed to be completely redone.

Archived