Ship Name

I know I saw a thread on this and have tried to search with no luck. We are thinking of going on the Volendam (is it pronounced Vol (like Ball) en dam? We are thinking of the 10 day Sunfarer to the Panama Canal in March 2008. Anyone that has been on this ship or that cruise, would appreciate your comments. Never too early to start planning!!!!

Thanks, Rose

Hello, Rose:

Click here for a recent thread on the Volendam with that itinerary. Yes, that is the correct pronunciation for the Volendam (or I should say, that's the way I've been pronouncing it!;) ) I've never been on the Volendam, but I've read many postive reviews of it. Bon Voyage:)

Karin

I know I saw a thread on this and have tried to search with no luck. We are thinking of going on the Volendam (is it pronounced Vol (like Ball) en dam? We are thinking of the 10 day Sunfarer to the Panama Canal in March 2008. Anyone that has been on this ship or that cruise, would appreciate your comments. Never too early to start planning!!!!

Thanks, Rose

Copper 10-8 might chime in to give you the Dutch pronunciation, but most Americans say "vole-en-dam" or "vole-en-dom" ... vole as in pole or bowl, and dom as is domino.

Welcome to the HAL board! :D

Volendam is my favorite ship - newer than the aging "S" class ones, smaller than the Vistas, still has a traditional cinema and self serve laundry. I'd go on her anywhere!

Thanks to all who replied. I knew I had seen the pronunciations somewhere. Now I found them again. We cruised to Alaska last August on the Ryndam and had a wonderful time. Really appreciate this board and all the information available to newcomers.

Actually if you see Host Walt's pronunciation in that thread,

Volendam, the V actually takes the "F" sound

so he says "foal" rather than pole, but the sound is the same.

And dam is dom as in domino

so you get Foal-en-dom.

The Dutch language is really awesome. When I was there, we took a tour to the city of Volendam and the tour guide corrected all of us Americans on the produnciation. And another story about a lady on the train kept saying Flushing was where we wanted to get off, but I couldn't find it on the map. She finally pointed to it, and it was spelt Vlissengen (I think), no where near what I would pronounce Flushing even if the V does take the F sound. But it was a fun trip and the locals were all so helpful and friendly. We never got lost once, always got where we wanted to go on the train or even when we were driving the car.

Have a great cruise!

Hello "R&R sail again" – hello Rose,

As you can see while reading my past cruise list, we are already been twice on the elegant MS Volendam – and we will be again on here next April…..

This Ship is classy and large in all sections of the ship. But cabins are almost as all other HAL vessels. We do like this type of class – the Rotterdam class, especially, because these types of HAL vessels do have a center elevator and stairway section.

And also, on those vessels, the Crows Nest is larger, as well the Dining Room.

Because we did book the partial Panama Canal Passage on April 1st, I re-checked its Hal "find a Cruise" section, next March and April, the MS Volendam do not have a "Sunfarer Cruise" scheduled. But a so-called "Southern Caribbean Panama Canal, Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale" sailing……

I hoop it helps for you, or, maybe we will see us on its MS Volendam sailing on April first, 2008.;)

Happy cruising

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

106 days - 29'479 Nm

Future Cruise :

at least a 7 day Caribbean Cruise in the next 18-month => just won from its MS Veendam raffle, oh happy cruising days....

=>> MS Volendam, April 1st 2008:)

event.png

Thanks to all who replied. I knew I had seen the pronunciations somewhere. Now I found them again. We cruised to Alaska last August on the Ryndam and had a wonderful time. Really appreciate this board and all the information available to newcomers.

I was on the Sunfarer cruise in April and loved it. Both the ship and the intinerary. If you were set down in a ship and told it was either the Ryndam or the Volendam, you'd have a hard time telling the difference - I haven't been on the Ryndam, but I was on the Veendam a couple of times and they are very, very similar.

If you were set down in a ship and told it was either the Ryndam or the Volendam, you'd have a hard time telling the difference - I haven't been on the Ryndam, but I was on the Veendam a couple of times and they are very, very similar.

There's three key ways to tell---

If you head aft of the Wajang Theatre and have to back-track to go anywhere---you're on the Ryndam (or any S-class ship).

If you see an escalator from Main Deck to Lower Promenade---you're on the Ryndam.

If you leave the Dining Room on Upper Promenade, Starboard, and pass the Pinnacle Grill---you're on the Ryndam.

On the Volendam (or any R-class ship) there is a third set of stairs/elevators midship. There is no escalator. The Pinnacle is on Promenade across from the Wajang Theatre.

Rose:

We took the Volendam Sunfarer Panama Canal cruise this past April, and we had a GREAT time! The Volendam was in Code Red during almost our whole cruise, but even so it was a great cruise. The ports were very nice, the especially seeing the Canal.

We liked it so much we wanted to book the same cruise in 2008, but it wasn't offered at the time we could take it, so we are going to do the Southern Caribbean Wayfarer cruise instead on the Maasdam.

Mary

Archived