regarding food

redjuliet

My husband does not like all the fancy food, I was just looking at princess menus and I think he is going to be really disappointed with the food. Even the Sabatino's looked too "fancy" for him. Did anyone else have a problem with this?

Thanks

My husband does not like all the fancy food, I was just looking at princess menus and I think he is going to be really disappointed with the food. Even the Sabatino's looked too "fancy" for him. Did anyone else have a problem with this?

Thanks

I don't think the food is all that fancy. They always have regular stuff like steak and shrimp cocktail on every single dinner menu.

Although many of the items on the dining room menu sound fancy, they really aren't. There are a couple of exceptions (like snails), but all he needs to do is ask and the waiter will explain the dish.

And don't forget, he can always order things off of the kids menu that include simple things like burgers, hotdogs, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs and other plain, kid-friendly items.

You guys can also go up Horizon Court buffet, and I guarantee you will find things there as well. But the food in the dining room is much better and I have a hunch your husband will find things he likes. Your waiter has come across many, many people who are not comfortable with fancy food - I am sure he will make suggestions and keep your hubby well fed!

There is a list of 'always available' on the diningroom menu that seems to work better for those that like food more on the 'plain side'. I would also suggest trying Sterlings Steakhouse instead of Sabatinis if he doesn't like that menu. The Steakhouse is more like an Outback restaurant and more meat and potato type of menu.

Also, he might try the buffet in the evening if the diningroom menu doesn't suit him. The menus for the day are always listed outside of the diningrooms that morning.

I was raised in a basic "meat and potatoes" kind of family, and used to be intimidated by the menus in nicer restaurants. I once had a chef tell me how to break through all the menu BS and ignore the fancy descriptions as he went through his own menu saying - that's the steak, that's the pork chop, this is the chicken and that's the fish. When it came down to that, it didn't seem so fancy after all and I have always been able to find something that I like after that. (I have also become a much more adventurous eater)

If that doesn't work, he could always get hot dogs, hamburgers or pizza out by the pool. Or they have spaghetti and meatballs and chicken fingers on the children's menu.

My DH is a somewhat "picky" eater. He orders his dishes without sauces and almost always changes the vegetable selection to green beans or a baked potato. He has always gotten what he ordered - and it came at the same time as the other meals at our table.

Also remember that you can SAMPLE! If you see something you MIGHT like, order it! If you don't like it, fine, you can get something else. A cruise is the perfect place to try new things, without worrying about the cost or consequences.

I have been doing this with my kids, and it's an excellent way to get them to try new foods. I can also say that my husband and I would never havr ordered frogs' legs or buffalo on a regular restaurant menu, but ordering them on a cruise ship and trying them was a wonderful experience.

Can someone please answer the question as to where the menus are located? This is the third thread I've seen where someone has mentioned the menus and someone else asks where they are and no one answers. Thanks!

Princess' food is general quite plain even with French or Italian names. There is probably a McDonalds in every port to meet his needs. If Sterling Styeakhouse is like Outback I plan to avoid it. A steakhouse should be the quality of The Palm or Morton's to justify the surcharge, not a low end chain.

Can someone please answer the question as to where the menus are located? This is the third thread I've seen where someone has mentioned the menus and someone else asks where they are and no one answers. Thanks!

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/theshipws.html

Look at the top and click "dining". It will give you a general idea of menus, but each ship does things a bit differently.

M steve,

I don't think Toto meant that it was exactly like the Outback but that it was geared more towards "meat and potatoes" as opposed to Sabatinnis and their tapas.

You can steer clear of Sterlings if you want to, there are so many dining venues, I think everyone will be happy, including the OP's DH.

Princess' food is general quite plain even with French or Italian names. There is probably a McDonalds in every port to meet his needs. If Sterling Styeakhouse is like Outback I plan to avoid it. A steakhouse should be the quality of The Palm or Morton's to justify the surcharge, not a low end chain.

I have been to the Sterling Steak House on different ships twice, and although the ambiance and sides are more sophisticated than what you find at Outback, the steaks are not the same quality, IMHO as Mortons or Ruth's Chris. They are a tad better than what you get at Black Angus and Outback, but not worth the $20-$25pp fee to eat there. I personally am not anxious to return there or to Sabatinis, as I don't feel the food quality is any better than what you get in the formal dining venues. It's fine for a special occasion, and if you have not been, go ahead - most people around these parts rave about them! But paying extra to get good food is not necessary.

I wish that cruiseclues site would update the menus or really provide menus at all. Everytime I look for any of my cruises, they are horribly outdated. :( That's IF any are listed at all. Or maybe I just am not using the site correctly. :confused:

My DH is a somewhat "picky" eater. He orders his dishes without sauces and almost always changes the vegetable selection to green beans or a baked potato. He has always gotten what he ordered - and it came at the same time as the other meals at our table.

Just kidding...;)

Mine doesn't look like your photo, but they may be clones. The only vegetable my guy will eat is green beans, he won't have ANY sauces, and he always subs a (plain) baked potato for the starch.

I wish that cruiseclues site would update the menus or really provide menus at all. Everytime I look for any of my cruises, they are horribly outdated. :( That's IF any are listed at all. Or maybe I just am not using the site correctly. :confused:

I can vouch for cruise clues in the fact that when those passengers send him the menus, or copys of them that were scanned, he posts them to his site. I once sent him 20 some from a long cruise we were on, since my scanner was broken at the time, I even sent them snail mail and he did all the scanning and uploaded them.

So, if he doesn't get them, he can't post current ones or update the older ones that have already been posted.

I used to check out menus before our cruise to decide on which evening was best to go to the alternative restaurants. But I have found recently that Princess has revamped their menus and most older ones are out of date.

I have found asking to see the weeks menus while at dinner the first evening is still okay to insure you get the reservation you want. I know people here tell you to do so very soon after you baord the ship, but I have found that if they didn't have the time I want when I call to make my reservation, I would book what was available (usually 9pm) and go early. Not only do people cancel, but they forget and don't show up. And they don't tell you this, but they always have a table or two for walk-ins (for high level officers and their guests). If the tables are available, you can eat.

I can't see any other reason to check out the menu in advance of the sailing. If you are vegan, you now they can modify the menu to suit your needs as long as the cruise line knows ahead of time.

I had the new menu in Feb, and it was very good. Not many changes from the ones before.

Good luck.

My husband does not like all the fancy food, I was just looking at princess menus and I think he is going to be really disappointed with the food.

I think it's safe to say that the titles of the various menu selections make them sound "fancier" than they are, and Princess' food isn't really what I'd consider "gourmet".

Dinner entrees will feature a pasta dish, fish, another seafood selection like shrimp or scallops, poultry (cornish hen, turkey), a specialty meat like pork, veal, or lamb, and beef or steak. Entrees will be served with various starches (potatoes, rice), and assorted vegetables. and you can easily substitute any of these. I never order potatoes or rice and just ask for a medley of the night's vegetable options. As has already been mentioned, there are certain items that are always avaiable: grilled chicken, steak, salmon, baked potato, fries. It's really quite simple to have a satisfying dinner that isn't too fancy.

That said, a cruise is a good opportunity to expand one's gastronomical repertoire, and if you order something that you think you might like to try and end up not caring for it, your waiter will be glad to bring something else.

Sabatini's is probably going to be a little "fancy" for your husband but he can certainly enjoy a fairly straight-forward dinner in Sterling Steakhouse.

Try not to stress out about because he will surely find ample choices in the various food venues :)

Bon Appetit! and Bon Voyage!

Chris

Try going to www.cruiseclues.com, down the left side of the screen (I think) will be all the ships. Select the one you are interested in. You'll get a screen with lots of optios - if you scan down to "Posts" you will most likely see something that says "menus."

Hope this helps.

Archived