Carnival Stock

rlkubi

We bought the stock many, many years ago when it was selling for $12 a share - of course it is much more now. We have gotten quite a bit of shipboard credit from it over the years.

If you plan to cruise a couple of times a year, then you will get your money back. But if you plan on cruising only once a year, it may not be worth it to you. We also do 10 day and longer cruises so we get the $100 per cabin credit.

Carnival Shareholder benefits also extend to the other cruise lines in the Carnival family.

We're cruising Holland America for 15 nights and received a very nice OBC for being Carnival shareholders of over 100 shares.....

I took a quick look a couple of weeks ago and at that time the stock was trading at approx $40/share ... so I took a pass. Also, not sure the stockholder benefit is combinable with other discounts/promos.

IMHO, the investment of $4,000 to $ 5,000 should not be solely driven by what may amount to only a 2 percent (or less) "dividend" in the form of an on-board credit. The standard criteria for a stock purchase should take precedence (e.g. potential appreciation, risk factors, current & future dividends, value of the shares etc.)

Having said that, if the investment is a good fit for you, here is the recap on the only two companies whose shares are publicly traded:

Carnival Corp's (ticker symbol CCL) shareholder benefit ranges from $ 250 per stateroom (sailings of 14 days or more) to as low as $ 50 on salings of 6 days or less. 7 to 13 days garner $ 100. The benefit is extended to all brands in the Carnival empire and is denominated in Pounds Sterling (L125, L50 & L25), Euros (same as U.S. $) and Australian $ (also same as U.S. $) for divisions operating in those areas.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (ticker symbol RCL) parent of Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and recently launched Asamara lines offers $ 250 for 14 nights, $ 200 for 9 to 13, $ 100 for 6 to 8, and $ 50 for 5 or less. The benefit excludes Celebrity Xpeditions.

Both companies require ownership of at least 100 shares and the benefit is per sailing so it can be utilized any number of times within a year. The benefit is not transferable - the shareholder must be a passenger in the stateroom for which the benefit is given.

One very important distinction in the two company's programs is that on CCL the benefit may NOT be combined with any other shipboard offer or discount to which you are entitled. Thus on our last cruise with them, our $ 100 benefit was only $ 25 since we had a $ 75 OBC as a result of another offer. RCL's program does not contain that restriction.

Hope this was helpful. Bon voyage!!

John F., CPA:)

One very important distinction in the two company's programs is that on CCL the benefit may NOT be combined with any other shipboard offer or discount to which you are entitled. Thus on our last cruise with them, our $ 100 benefit was only $ 25 since we had a $ 75 OBC as a result of another offer. RCL's program does not contain that restriction.

So for example - I received $100 OBC from my TA on my booking for our next cruise - that would make me ineligible for the $100 OBC from owning Carnival stock? :confused: Just want to make sure I understand correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

We have owned the stock for years.

As soon as we book a cruise, I mail the booking number and other info with the attached "proof of ownership" (current stock statement ~with other info blacked out).

We have never had a problem getting the OBC. $50 for 4 and 5 day, $100 for 7 day...more for longer cruises...

Since we take several cruises a year, it helps!

So for example - I received $100 OBC from my TA on my booking for our next cruise - that would make me ineligible for the $100 OBC from owning Carnival stock? :confused: Just want to make sure I understand correctly.

As long as it's not a cruiseline OBC you should be able to use the stock OBC.

We have owned the stock for years.

As soon as we book a cruise, I mail the booking number and other info with the attached "proof of ownership" (current stock statement ~with other info blacked out).

We have never had a problem getting the OBC. $50 for 4 and 5 day, $100 for 7 day...more for longer cruises...

Since we take several cruises a year, it helps!

We've always used a copy of the proxy. Saves having to black out the info that's none of their business:eek: !

Using the proxy is a good idea. Remind me to do that next time!

And, I believe in asking ... Carnival Shareholder Relations is very good about taking care of shareholders ... I have asked for my Shareholder OBC in combination with other discounts, and have always received it. Sometimes the request needs to go to a supervisor, but as long as I have asked nicely, it has been allowed.

Good luck.........

From that wording is sounds like we wouldn't get it because we get a military discount. BUT, I called and asked them and they said we would. Anyone with a military discount get the OBC from their stock????

Possibly CCL is making an exception to their stated policy in the case of the military discount. If so, good for them. If you can get it, go for it!!

Bon voyage!!

John F. :)

Archived