Skagwag? Rental car drive or train

mtd1

It you type in the words "Klondike Hwy" into the search box you will find tons of posts with answers to your question.

We rented a car from Avis in Skagway a little over a week ago and drove to Emerald Lake. The drive was the most scenic drive I have ever taken, and I have taken a lot of scenic drives through the Rockies, Canadian Rockies, Yellowstone and Tetons as well as Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park and Escalante!

We used Murray Lundstrom's famous guide to navigate our way. Here is the link to the guide if you don't already have it http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html.

I have heard the train ride is specacular as well. We preferred to do the drive because it was much less expensive to rent a car than take the train. We could also stop when ever and where ever we wanted which you really cannot appreciate until you do the drive. On our way back we spotted a bear on the road and stopped and watched him for about 30 minutes as he climbed a small tree 15 feet from our car and ate leaves!

You can find my pictures of our drive in the Yukon on page 9 on the webshot link below...

Larry

First time? Take the train. The views are so spectacular, you don't want to be spending time watching the road when you could be watching the view. All the above-stated advantages are true, but speaking as the guy who usually ends up doing the driving, I enjoyed being a passenger on this one.

It's Murray Lundberg's guide for the South Klondike Highway. http://www.explorenorth.com

With your "money" reference this is the winner.

But the train is superior in many ways. History is interesting, engineering is amazing, and the scenery is superior.

I have done both several times and for me it is hard to choose. :)

We just did the train out and bus back tour. If we ever are lucky enough to go back again I think I would rent a car just to have the freedom of stopping and starting whenever I chose. However , having said that , for a first time experience I dont think you can beat the train ride. It was definitely one of the highlights of the entire trip. We absolutely loved every minute of it. Again , the only reason I would choose a car next time is to have the ability to stop at some different picture stops along the way.

Hi we are going on the Sapphire Princess 7 July SB... We only just booked so am frantically going through the Boards for info.

One thing i would like to ask is with regard to Skagway... is the main attraction the klondike Highway? whether by train or car?

Also, how do you book the train.. what line is it? Sorry if i sound ignorant but have never been to Alaska before and live in the UK!

the town of skagway is a interesting little place, has a lot of history from the gold rush days. the train:

http://www.wpyr.com/

explains some of it and points out the sights. we did the round-trip (3 1/2 hours) just goes up the mountain and back down. there are many all day combo tours using train one way and bus/van/shuttle the other.

all the major cruise lines offers these trips, also available independently.

if you read down a few pages, you will see it discussed a great deal.

you can find other vendors by searching

http://www.skagway.com/

many do the drive up to the yukon, that way you can stop on your own.

the nice thing about the tours, they expain what you are seeing.

the train does up the mountain on one side of the valley, the highway is on the other side. some same sights, but many different sights as well.

Not sure if there is a clear winner between these two choices. Just got back from Alaska where dh and I and 2 sons did rental car, and inlaws did train. We compared notes and agreed that each of us was happy with our respective choices. Hows that for an unhelpful opinion? :)

We liked the rental car because of the flexibility... we were able to stop frequently for photos, and decide along the way if we would go all the way to Carcross (we did). Having a 5 year old and an 8 year old as passengers played a big part in the need for this kind of flexibility.

The scenery was awesome via the highway, in laws felt the same about the train etc etc

The only thing I have to add one way or another is that after our trip to Carcross, we still had time to come back to Skagway and then drive over to Dyea, the "ghost town" that was a competetor to Skagway until the railroad went through. Truly not much remains of the town at all, I mean, just the barest hint of a town, but our family loved this little side trip. Its a 9 mile drive on a narrow little road along a sort of Fjiord like inlet... absolutely stunning, reminded me lots of coastal Norway . The weather was great, so we stopped at the end of one finger of the inlet at a lovely beach. We had a picnic on a huge driftwood log, the boys skipped stones, and I napped. Then on to Dyea where we visited a little cemetary in the woods. Sounds creepy, but it wasnt . The boys marveled at the inscriptions from that era, and the setting and all. Just very unique. On the way back to Skagway there is a great overlook whereby you can take panoramic photos from up high of all of Skagway, the cruise ships in harbor, the airport etc. We had all these places to ourselves, only saw a few kyakers and horse riders, so it was a nice change from the convoys of buses up at the summit of White Pass. Just our impressions.

Our folks loved their train ride, and really felt they made the best choice for their interests.

One of the factors for us was cost...$62 total for excusion for family of 4 vs nearly $600 for the tour option that included train and then motor coach into Carcross.

Additionally, if one were interested in a sled dog experience, independant travelers can book a 20 min ride for $25 pp upon arrival in Carcross. I know one can book these types of activies thru the ship and elsewhere, but I never saw them any where near this low a price. Makes a difference when multiplying by 4 :)

Whatever you choose you can bet you will really be impressed, scenery is spectacular.

Lisa

The only thing I have to add one way or another is that after our trip to Carcross, we still had time to come back to Skagway and then drive over to Dyea, the "ghost town" that was a competetor to Skagway until the railroad went through. Truly not much remains of the town at all, I mean, just the barest hint of a town, but our family loved this little side trip. Its a 9 mile drive on a narrow little road along a sort of Fjiord like inlet... absolutely stunning, reminded me lots of coastal Norway . The weather was great, so we stopped at the end of one finger of the inlet at a lovely beach. We had a picnic on a huge driftwood log, the boys skipped stones, and I napped. Then on to Dyea where we visited a little cemetary in the woods. Sounds creepy, but it wasnt . The boys marveled at the inscriptions from that era, and the setting and all. Just very unique. On the way back to Skagway there is a great overlook whereby you can take panoramic photos from up high of all of Skagway,

HOWEVER- Avis does NOT allow you to drive on the Dyea Road past the paved portion. You are violating your contract and then take full responsibility if any damages etc.

Wow, did not realize this at all. Boy am I sure glad all was uneventful. Dont know how we missed reading this in our contract, but I would have been so bummed had we had a problem.

Thanks

Lisa

We did the drive up to Emerald Lake. It's easy, no traffic and allows most freedom to stop with many pullouts along the way. It was definitely the most stunning scenery.

Got back in town, filled tank at gas station within blocks of Avis and then had time to carouse around Skagway. For a short portion before/after Canadian customs, the road is packed dirt/gravel and then becomes normal again. At first I thought that I might have missed a turn!

I wanted to do the Dyea side trip but had been forewarned about the Avis prohibition against driving on that road.

Meant to add, stopped in Carcross and got passport stamped at Post Office open even on Sunday.

And also stopped at "world's smallest desert" just beyond Skagway and walked on the sand dunes.

Archived