Need Advice

hcross888

I think that I want to book a river cruise on the Danube (stopping in Brataslava) for June 2008, but I have never booked a cruise before. I have read all of the posts on this board and have learned a lot. I would appreciate some more advice.

First, when should I book? Some of the cruise lines don't seem to have a schedule yet for 2008.

Second, is it ok to book my own flight to the cruise?

Third, how often do these cruises get canceled (high or low water)?

Fourth, where are the rooms that I need to avoid on the ship?

Fifth, what will be the extra expenses on a river cruise? Are all the drinks extra like on an ocean cruise? Are the scheduled trips extra?

I would appreciate any advice at all!

Thanks!

I think that I want to book a river cruise on the Danube (stopping in Brataslava) for June 2008, but I have never booked a cruise before. I have read all of the posts on this board and have learned a lot. I would appreciate some more advice.

First, when should I book? Some of the cruise lines don't seem to have a schedule yet for 2008.

Second, is it ok to book my own flight to the cruise?

Third, how often do these cruises get canceled (high or low water)?

Fourth, where are the rooms that I need to avoid on the ship?

Fifth, what will be the extra expenses on a river cruise? Are all the drinks extra like on an ocean cruise? Are the scheduled trips extra?

I would appreciate any advice at all!

Thanks!

1. I book early, as soon as I decide on a trip

2. We did for our Danube/Main/Rhine cruise because we used FF points.

3. Don't know.

4. The ships are not all identical, so a good cabin on one ship could be the worst on another.

5. On ours drinks were extra, but wine was free with dinner. Most shore excursions were included, but there were a few optional one. Tips are also extra.

My all-time advice for booking a river cruise: Order all the brochures and compare the itineraries. If there are two or more companies which have an itinerary fitting your needs then compare the "amenities" (included shore tours, included wine/beer for dinner....). Then compare the prices.

To answer your questions:

1. Usually as soon as possible, there are no big discounts. Sign up for the online newsletters which are sometimes offering discounts.

2. Sure you can book your own flights which can save you some money (but then you also have to care for your transfers).

3. No one can tell you unless you can make a reliable weather forecast :D . But it´s quite seldom the whole cruise gets cancelled. It might be shortened. It´s usually a decision by the captain which is very last minute.

4. I´d prefer a midship cabin. To the bow you might hear the bowthruster especially on the Danube river with all the locks. To the aft you might hear noise from the engine. Deck doesn´t really matter but of course the higher you´re up the less noise you might hear.

5. Extra expenses depend on the cruise company. Most US marketed companies do include shore tours and some do offer additional optional tours. Deilmann (a German company) does not include the shore tours. Some include beer/wine for dinner. Soft drinks are usually not included. Some offer free coffee/tea 24/7. Some offer a free bottle of water. Tips are always extra.

steamboats

Archived