Aft balcony issue

Ok so I am a moron. I has the choice of any cabin on the Mariner for the first run out of LA on 2/22/09 and I picked 9390. Now I am reading that that cabin isn't that great.

I can switch to anything on the 8th deck - do I want to do that?

I booked the opposite cabin 9690, I think it looks great! People either love this cabin or hate it, there doesn't seem to be alot in between. No you can't have 12 people on your balcony for a party but, it has a really cool round window, and a gorgeous ocean view, and a nice sunny, private balcony for sunbathing.:D

I am most concerned about the view and whether or not we can fit 4 ppl on it comfortably. With the port hole do you lose part of the experience of looking outside that you do with a normal balcony?

To me, aft cabins are overrated. We had 1390, and the view was obstructed - it was like overlooking a construction site with all the crossbeams and the extended decking below. You have to look quite far out to see the water. As well, there was hardly any breeze coming across the back of the ship to temper the heat, so what good was having the huge balcony if it was too hot out there to enjoy it? I would definitely consider moving to the side of the ship - you give up the large balcony, but you gain a clearer view of the water and you gain the crossbreezes. To adress your concern about fitting 4 people on the balcony - we have 2 teen daughters, and we always travel in ONE D1 cabin, and while it's not ideal, we do all fit.

I had 9690 on the Explorer last month. Click my webshots for many pictures of the room. The porthole is huge. It's big enough to sit in. The room itself is a little smaller, but that's why it's an E1, not a D1.

I absolutely loved this room and wouldn't hesitate to book it again.

Have you checked out the photos on Voyager-Class.com (9390/9690)?

I wouldn't call you a moron. :p ;) Looks like a pretty cool cabin/balcony to me! :cool:

The only negative I every recall reading about these cabins is that they have a regular door instead of a sliding glass door. Personally, I don't see what the big issue would be with that. The balcony is still huge. Perhaps not as big as other aft cabins but still huge by regular side balcony standards.

We had this cabin on the Explorer and really enjoyed it. And, as you can see, you can sit in the window ;) . We have had a few aft balconies and really do enjoy them, even if there is the framework obstructing some of your view. Sitting on the balcony with a beverage at sunset watching the world float out from under you is most excellent.

103792995-M.jpg.efc3a73024ebe960424a5e68209f1552.jpg

103793487-M.jpg.3db6987fb15281e7ec29ac35f3b430e9.jpg

While we like Balconies as well, we found on Voyager and Mariner the Promenade rooms are not only priced right, but they allow people watching, as well as people to come in and sit in the window as well as the sofa. Whatever route you go, you can't beat either.

Archived