A Full Galaxy

british betty

It would appear that our cruise is practically all sold out. That might be good for Celebrity but is this good news for the pax??...are we all going to be fighting for a lounger in the sun? (if there is any)...dont want to feel as though we are travelling on the London Underground...:(

Just a couple of thoughts from me. Firstly, there is full and there is FULL, depending upon the average number of occupants in each cabin. Even though all the cabins have been sold it may be that there aren't so many that are occupied by more than two. There's a limit to how many people the ship can take to comply with the regulations. I was on Century in April and that was as full as it could have been, I'm sure.

I've been on Galaxy a couple of times and felt that the ship handles traffic really well (as did the other Celebrity ships I have been on, including my Century experience above). I don't think I have been on a cruise where it hasn't been sold out, perhaps a few cabins left and it's amazing that you can still find a quiet spot. Sometimes I am left wondering where everyone is! One thing to say though is that the pool area is busy and you don't necessarily need a full ship for that. Just a sea day with a bit of sun and a few chair hogs;) I always found a nice spot for sitting in the sun was one deck above the walking track, forward. Never had a problem finding a chair there and a bit more breeze too.

Phil

Even at full capacity, Celebrity ships have a lower passenger number than a lot of other cruiselines with a similar sized ship.

For example-

Galaxy:

Tonnage: 77713

Length 866

Beam 105.6

Passengers 1894

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas:

Tonnage: 70000

Length 867

Beam: 105

Passengers: 2076

As the previous poster stated, you might find a problem finding a chair directly pooliside even if the ship is not full, but there are plenty of chairs around the pool deck and the upper deck so you should be able to find one.

I beg to differ about finding lounge chairs. Was on the Galaxy recently and while I loved the ship it was virtually impossible to find lounge chairs. I used to go to some of the upper and side decks, but even there the chairs were very limited. Also, it was very hard to find seating in the buffet area at prime times. I still had a wonderful time, but it was the first time on any of our cruises (and we have been on 17 Celebrity alone) that I found it crowded

I beg to differ about finding lounge chairs. Was on the Galaxy recently and while I loved the ship it was virtually impossible to find lounge chairs. I used to go to some of the upper and side decks, but even there the chairs were very limited. Also, it was very hard to find seating in the buffet area at prime times. I still had a wonderful time, but it was the first time on any of our cruises (and we have been on 17 Celebrity alone) that I found it crowded
Cruises have been sailing at over 100% for a while. Generally, cruises sail at well over 100%. 100% is deemed to be double occpancy. On our last cruise on the Century the ship was listed at 1750, but was sailing with about 2100 people. This is not uncommon, we had 2200 on our last cruise on Galaxy. I have never felt crowded on an X ship.

The problem with the chairs is the chair hogs who throw something on in first thing in the morning and hold the chair all day. You get enough of them and it makes it tough. I'm not a skin cancer guy, so that does not bother me. I'd rather find a seat in the shade and be the whitest guy getting off the ship.

Depending on when and where you are sailing, will make a difference in the availability. Have a great cruise.

The Celebrity web site shows that our Galaxy cruise in October (Eastern Med and Black Sea) has 4 inside cabins left at over $3000 pp for two weeks. We've had an active roll call since many of us booked last summer, and are we glad we did as prices have risen dramatically since then.

above). I always found a nice spot for sitting in the sun was one deck above the walking track, forward. Never had a problem finding a chair there and a bit more breeze too.

Phil

Phil: Isn't that the nude sunbathing deck????????

Tis true, deck 13 had plenty room on the Galaxy last month; deck 14 is the "topless" deck. We did not use either as we had a lovely Deck 12 balcony :)

For me, news of the Galaxy's demise is drastically premature. I will certainly sail on her again, though I have a few others to go on first

I always found a nice spot for sitting in the sun was one deck above the walking track, forward.

And on this level of the ship, there are also plenty of free loungers on the aft-part, larger than the forward side. You can choose left or right side (which are huge) or totally aft (perfect when it's very windy). If you want a quiet spot on seadays : this is the place to be. So if you're on the jogging track : face the aft side of the ship, go upstairs (left or right), and there you are. We returned from our third Galaxy cruise two days ago, and as usual, it was our favorite spot on seadays.:)

tell us about your shore tours. did you go on the ship's tours or didyou wing it on your own????

We did 2 ship tours : 'Highlights of Ephesus' in Kusadasi and 'Ancient Korinth and canal cruise' in Athens. Last year on the same itinerary : 'Athens sightseeing and Acropolis' and 'Exploration of Pompeii". I'll give you more info on this as soon as I have more time. (in a new thread, since this is off topic). ;)

Archived