The Zuiderdam 7/31 review you waited for !!!

superstein61

I strongly doubt that Pinnacle was out of salmon to save money. Salmon used to be a big deal but you can buy fresh farm-raised salmon anywhere now for $4.99 a pound. Ribeye, Porterhouse & rack of lamb are much more expensive. Smoked salmon is another story.

Another consideration is that the ship had just been provisioned. New stock had probably not had time to be unpacked and defrosted. I understand that the defrosting process for some foods is 24 to 36 hours and of course under refrigeration in a special unit away from other food stuffs.

[quote name='hdawson']Another consideration is that the ship had just been provisioned. New stock had probably not had time to be unpacked and defrosted. I understand that the defrosting process for some foods is 24 to 36 hours and of course under refrigeration in a special unit away from other food stuffs.[/QUOTE]

[b]That certainly sounds like the most reasonable explanation. We are very fortunate to have been taken on a very inclusive tour of the galley and refrigeration/freezer areas. Astounding!!! Indeed, the fish is stored no where near the chicken which is stored well apart from the beef etc[/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Yes, everyone does dress casually on the first night at the Pinnacle. Mainly because some people get on the ship late. Others haven't completely unpacked. Some have traveled all day and don't feel like dressing up.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Country club casual is prefectly acceptable.[/color][/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]That does sound like a reasonable explanation as to why the Pinnacle did not have salmon on the first night.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Does the Pinnacle have their own supply rooms and separate refrigeration areas?[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]On some ships the Pinnacle has their own kitchen while on others, they have to share the kitchen facilities.[/color][/font][/b]

superstein-
My husband & I are enjoying your review and especially got a laugh out of your description of Tortola - it was crazy that day! We were on the Smith's Ferry with you, your wife, and daughter. I'm sure we were sitting behind your wife on the way over to VG that day. We also thoroughly enjoyed our day at the Baths. My sunburned shoulders are just now peeling!! Very fun to relive the week through your review. Thanks!

[QUOTE]We grab a table and enjoy the sights sailing out of Tortola - then at 6pm, the BBQ is ready. grilled steaks (YUM), ribs, fish, sausage, baked potatoes, salad, etc. I try a little of this and that - and get two steaks . Quite good - cooked just as I liked them (they asked my preference and took it right off the grill for me). So good in fact, I head back later for a third steak What can I say - i love steak - and I took the third one instead of dessert[/QUOTE]

superstein61, I'm beginning to think you're a man after my own stomach! :D We may not agree on formals or the propriety of bringing booze aboard, but we DO appear to agree on that which is of supreme importance ... MEAT. :D ;)

Thanks for an excellent review. I've enjoyed it, and look forward to any further remarks. It sounds like you had a good time, and for that I'm particularly pleased. Even though yours was a very different cruise than the one I'm getting geared up to board, reading your review has contributed to the ramping up of my enjoyment and excitement about my next cruise. THANK YOU.

Thinking about sailaway parties, I've really never paid much attention to them. I'm usually more of a loner when it comes to port departure events ... I like to be up in the Crows nest or out on one of the forward observation decks, watching the departure itself, rather than being involved in some games, or in the "let's see who can jump in the pool, fully clothed, first and win a free round of drinks in the crows nest" contest. For a view of what I do, watch my "sail away" video from my Alaska Cruise last year. :)

This doesn't mean that I don't have fun at port departures ... I do. I've been to several parties, in fact, but I'm more interested in the actual departure itself. I generally go to the aft deck for a drink, then forward to an observation deck for departure, then back to the aft to watch the port slip away behind us and to listen to the music and see what's going on. I've seen some dancing, and people jumping into the pool, etc., but not much else that interested me.

I am thoroughly enjoying all the many parts of your review, superstein, and love your writing style and organization. I like that you are giving us the good and the bad and that something like the bbque is given a good grade, when so many have given it a thumbs down. Glad you enjoyed the cruise overall. :)

Did you or anyone else ever find out what the local Tortola festival or holiday was for? It would be interesting to know. I think sometimes we forget we are going into countries with different cultures, celebrations and customs. It is their country after all and they don't need to do things like those of us in North America nor should we expect them to just because we arrive on a certain day on a ship. It sounds like your experience was a lot like a foreigner to the U.S. might feel being dropped into New Orleans during Mardi Gras with no explanation! :D

[quote name='MandyGirl'][color=darkorchid][b]:) Thanks for everything you are writing!! :) [/b]

I have thought of those boats often this past week. When we vacationed there and heard it referred to as Hurricane Bay... it really puts things into perspective. We stayed south of Coral Bay so we would pass that area each day. I told [/color][color=darkorchid]hubby that since we have the long time there (in November), we should rent a jeep and have lunch at our favorite place there... Shipwreck Landing. :) I think you and your daughter would enjoy staying Concordia (part of the Maho group). Not sure if your wife is into that, but might be worth looking into if returning to St John for a land vacation. [/color][url="http://www.maho.org/"][color=darkorchid]www.maho.org[/color][/url][color=darkorchid] The land that Maho is on is leased and the contract runs out in 7 or 8 more years, and it looks like it will not be affordable for Maho to continue, which is why Con[/color][color=darkorchid]cordia is being built on land that was actually bought by Stanley Selengut.[/color][/QUOTE]
MandyGirl - thanks. I took a brief look at the website you provided and bookmarked it. It looks interesting - and I would love to spend a week in St John. We will check it out for a possible future vacation

[quote name='sail7seas'][b]Why do we keep trying to make every cruiseline like every other? I strive to find differences among them.[/b]

[b]A cruiser who has done their research should select the cruiseline that offers the most of what they want and IMO should not be trying to make that cruiseline then adopt patterns and ways of doing things that mirror another. If you prefer NCL and Disney's sailaways, then list that on the "like it" side of your check list when selecting which line to cruise. IMO, HAL's sailaway is just fine the way it is. [/b][/QUOTE]
You may enjoy a lame, boring HAL sailaway - but we do not. Its my review and my opinion. Please let me state it without getting up in arms.

Someone asked me why I found it lame - and I explained why, and in doing so compared it to some other lines I have cruised on. Whats wrong with that. No single cruise line is perfect. Every line can improve in some area. Sailaways is one area I believe HAL should improve upon. JMO

[quote name='localady'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Superstein-[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]With regard to the Marriott-seems to me you got what you paid for. When you book a hotel via Priceline, you book the hotel at a huge discount! Simular to the price for an interior cabin. For those of us that booked the hotel at less of a discount, it makes perfect sense that they would put you in one of the less desirable rooms of the hotel. Marriott would be doing themselves a disservice to accommodate those that have paid Priceline type rates in the best view rooms while putting those that paid a greater price in the non-view wing IMHO.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Sounds like your daughter really enjoyed the cruise! My kids were scared to snorkel at first, now keep begging to "go back"!!!![/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
Locallady - I disagree. Hotels that participate with Priceline are not supposed to discriminate in handing out rooms. All Priceline customers are supposed to receive the same treatment non-priceline customers do.

I have used Priceline many times in the past - and was always pleased at those hotels. My experience at the Marriott , that was not the case. I do not know if it was because we were Priceline customers or not - but I had made my request for a room on a higher floor with a view months ago - and the Marriott did not accomodate that - so for that they get low marks from me.

As to my daughter, thanks - yes, she really did enjoy the cruise and snorkeling

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=navy]Superstein, your review is such fun to read! And it certainly sounds like overall you were having a great time. I shiver to imagine, though, what you're going to write about the "seniors" on sea days. Remember you made a friend out of me so try to be kind;) [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]As to sail-away parties, I could care less:) ... I don't think I've gone to one yet.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]You have a fascinating writing style that's very easy to read so I can't wait to read the rest. You know what you need, though? You need a cruise buddy who lives in the Ft. Lauderdale area to carry your blender, rum and sundries. Then you'd be all set with your weight limit:D [/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
Thanks Heather. Its late so I may not get another installment up tonight, but I will have some more soon.

And yes - having someone in FLL who could just meet me onboard with my blender, rum, etc would make packing a whole lot easier :D

[quote name='anngie']Superstein, I have enjoyed your review very much.
On your visit to the Pinnacle the first night of the cruise, you say that you dressed in casual clothes. Did you in any way feel out of place? Were others dressed formally? Did your wife wear casual clothes too? I am asking this because we are considering dressing casually for the Pinnacle the first night of our cruise and would like to know how it went.
I agree with your assessment of Tortola. We spent 2 weeks on a sailboat there 8 years ago and found the locals to be very unfriendly. It is easy to imagine that cruise ship passengers are not met with hospitality.
We wondered at first if it was because we are Americans but our captain was from England and he was treated the same way that we were.[/QUOTE]Anngie - Thanks. I would say in the Pinnacle Grill on that first night, about 75% of the folks were dressed casually, 25% had chosen to dress up more (ie men wearing a jacket, women in fancy dresses). I certainly didn't feel out of place as the dress of the day was casual. As to my wife - she wore a nice pair of black slacks and matching top which she considered casual.

[quote name='hdawson']Another consideration is that the ship had just been provisioned. New stock had probably not had time to be unpacked and defrosted. I understand that the defrosting process for some foods is 24 to 36 hours and of course under refrigeration in a special unit away from other food stuffs.[/QUOTE]
That could be - but it still boggles my mind how the Pinnacle could be out of one of its signature dishes on the first night of a cruise. Just poor planning IMO

[quote name='Kylie']superstein-
My husband & I are enjoying your review and especially got a laugh out of your description of Tortola - it was crazy that day! We were on the Smith's Ferry with you, your wife, and daughter. I'm sure we were sitting behind your wife on the way over to VG that day. We also thoroughly enjoyed our day at the Baths. My sunburned shoulders are just now peeling!! Very fun to relive the week through your review. Thanks![/QUOTE]
Kylie

Thanks - yes, it certainly was crazy that day. Did you also get the dueling men trying to direct you to different ferries?

I agree with you - the Baths were great

[quote name='revneal']superstein61, I'm beginning to think you're a man after my own stomach! :D We may not agree on formals or the propriety of bringing booze aboard, but we DO appear to agree on that which is of supreme importance ... MEAT. :D ;)

Thanks for an excellent review. I've enjoyed it, and look forward to any further remarks. It sounds like you had a good time, and for that I'm particularly pleased. Even though yours was a very different cruise than the one I'm getting geared up to board, reading your review has contributed to the ramping up of my enjoyment and excitement about my next cruise. THANK YOU.

Thinking about sailaway parties, I've really never paid much attention to them. I'm usually more of a loner when it comes to port departure events ... I like to be up in the Crows nest or out on one of the forward observation decks, watching the departure itself, rather than being involved in some games, or in the "let's see who can jump in the pool, fully clothed, first and win a free round of drinks in the crows nest" contest. For a view of what I do, watch my "sail away" video from my Alaska Cruise last year. :)

This doesn't mean that I don't have fun at port departures ... I do. I've been to several parties, in fact, but I'm more interested in the actual departure itself. I generally go to the aft deck for a drink, then forward to an observation deck for departure, then back to the aft to watch the port slip away behind us and to listen to the music and see what's going on. I've seen some dancing, and people jumping into the pool, etc., but not much else that interested me.[/QUOTE]
Rev - thanks. Glad to see our stomachs agree on the all important MEAT !!!
My wife laughs at me - I will easily pass up dessert / sweets for another helping of meat - LOL.

As to sailaway - yes, I took a look at your video - very nice. I realize they aren't for everyone - and everyone likes to do something different (shoot - if everyone attended - there would be no way to pack everyon in to the Lido deck). But I guess IMO, if you advertise a sailaway party - which HAL does, (they even offer special sailaway drinks - then the least they can do IMO is liven it up a bit and make it more of a party - even if it is just for that hour . Just something to start the fun flowing . Just my opinion

[quote name='bookworm0911']I am thoroughly enjoying all the many parts of your review, superstein, and love your writing style and organization. I like that you are giving us the good and the bad and that something like the bbque is given a good grade, when so many have given it a thumbs down. Glad you enjoyed the cruise overall. :)

Did you or anyone else ever find out what the local Tortola festival or holiday was for? It would be interesting to know. I think sometimes we forget we are going into countries with different cultures, celebrations and customs. It is their country after all and they don't need to do things like those of us in North America nor should we expect them to just because we arrive on a certain day on a ship. It sounds like your experience was a lot like a foreigner to the U.S. might feel being dropped into New Orleans during Mardi Gras with no explanation! :D[/QUOTE]
Bookworm - thanks. I had actually read about the festival on some BVI link before we left - but it didn't go into a lot of detail and wouldn't have prepared me for what we experienced. But just for fun, I just did a Google search and found this description from 2001:

[font=Arial][size=2][color=#000066]The August Festival Celebration is the biggest cultural event of the year in the British Virgin Islands and visitors delight in joining in the fun! The Festival commemorates the emancipation proclamation of Friday, August 1st, 1834 which marked the abolition of slavery in the British Virgin Islands. The proclamation was read aloud to the general population of Tortola on Monday, August 4th, 1834 at the Sunday Morning Well. Since then, the first Monday in August has been a day of celebration in the BVI. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=#000066]Modern day celebrations begin with the opening of the Festival Village in Road Town (approximately a week before Festival Monday) and continue until the first Wednesday of August when a parade takes place in East End. Among the activities of this lively celebration are:[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#000066][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#000066]It lists several things but this is my guess as to what we experienced:[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#000066][/color][/font]
[color=#000066][b][font=Arial]Rise and Shine Tramp (or Jump Up) - Road Town, Tortola[/font][/b]
[font=Arial][size=2][color=#000066]Not for the faint of heart (or those of us who like to be tucked snugly in our beds in the early morning hours), the Rise and Shine Tramp is the embodiment of "energy" and the precursor to the Grand Parade. Beginning around midnight on Festival Monday, the tramp follows the parade route down Main Street. During the tramp several bands (on flatbed trailers) proceed very slowly through town, towed by trucks. The revelers dance, sing and generally party their way through the night and along the parade route[/color][/size][/font]

[/color]

I'm one of the board "lurkers" who reads alot but does not frequently comment. I'm also an experienced "cruiser" and experienced diner.

I thought your review was super. Too many reviews from people with absolutely no cruise, travel, or dining experiences.

After about 14 cruises on many different lines I've come to believe that the best most ships can do is prepare food like a fine caterer. With rare exception is a meal on board a ship the equivelent of a fine restaurant.

Thanks for spelling out your feelings of the trip warts and all.

superstein -
In reply to your 'deuling ferries' question - we made it to the building before they started fighting over us. We chose Smith's Ferry because that lady wasn't 'in your face' as much as the guy at Speedy's (the windows are next to each other so they can both hollar at you at the same time). Actually we had already decided to go with Smith's because of recommendations on this board but that day Speedy's had the better deal if we had taken the time to listen although we were happy with what we got. We were glad that there were other people from the Zuiderdam on the ferry with us though. I think everyone was kind of watching out for each other (also why I remembered you!) and I don't think anyone would have gotten left at the Baths.
Thanks for the information about the festival - I did know it had something to do with Emancipation Day but you filled in some details. It took our taxi much longer than usual to get to the Baths that day because of a 'parade' of people dancing behind a flat bed that we had to follow most of the way.

Superstein-

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am enjoying it immensely.

One thing I'd like to comment on... the issue with Priceline. We've used Priceline twice. Both times we booked through Priceline we encountered problems. Both times we were treated as "less than" by airline personnel when problems arose during our travel. I vowed never again, not for air.

At any rate, I agree that you should not be treated as you were because you purchased through Priceline - but I do believe airline & hotel staff discriminate against Priceline purchased travel, JMO.

Please keep up the review - looking forward to hearing more. :)

Superstein...thanks for posting the detailed review. We are getting ready to go on the Zudi's Eastern route in a couple of weeks.

I am assuming that the festival on Road Town will be done by the end of August...did you hear anything to the contrary of that? Much like your daughter, my wife and I aren't into such activities.

Also, by my calculations, it took you about 30 minutes to get from the hotel to the port. Does that sound right?

Thanks again for all of the hints/tips/clues. We are staying at Amerisuites which has a free shuttle. We will plan on getting down there rightaway to get on one.

Archived