So, if you don't whale watch in Juneau-what do you do???

SANDY823

Having trouble finding small reputable whale watch co. in Junueau for late Aug... Doing a wildlife boat tour in Sitka....

So what else does everyone do in Juneau? we're only there from 7am-3pm..............

thanks,

Sandy

Take a taxi out to the Shrine of St. Therese - it is beautiful and scerene. Then have the taxi make a stop at Mendenhall and then drop you at the Library and have HUGE Alaska King Crab Legs at the little outdoor vendor behind the library and if the weather is good take the tram up Mt. Robert. That would be a wonderful day!!

Having trouble finding small reputable whale watch co. in Junueau for late Aug... Doing a wildlife boat tour in Sitka....

So what else does everyone do in Juneau? we're only there from 7am-3pm..............

thanks,

Sandy

There's plenty to do. I manage to keep guests busy for a full week, so surely there's something you'd be interested in doing. :D

It depends on your interests and mobility level, but here's some quick thoughts:

The Tram to Mt. Roberts

Gold-panning in Gold Creek

Riding the little steamboat around the Channel

Ziplining

Going to the salmon bake for lunch

flightseeing on a fixed wing plane, instead of the helicopter tour

Guided hikes and photo tours

Kayaking

Touring the fish hatchery, then renting and pole and trying your luck right there.

Going to the glacier

Touring the museums

Taking Mrs.007's advice and hiring a taxi--they have touring rates--to see sights Out the Road, such as Chapel by the Lake and the shrine.

...and I'm not sure about this, but I've heard on the ship, they may encourage you to shop. ;)

We're not going whale watching in Juneau. Instead we decided to rent a car from Rent a Wreck--they've gotten good reviews on this board and they're the only rental company that will pick you up at the pier and take you to their office to fill out the paperwork. It's only $57 for the day (there's an additional $15 to drop the car off downtown). We plan to visit Mendenhall glacier, of course! And also Glacier Gardens, Auke Bay, Douglas Island and the Shrine of St. Therese. We have a long day in port, so we're taking advantage of it! :)

Jayne

thanks,

Sandy

Sandy,

I was wondering the same thing, we're there at the end of august to beginning september. As we're doing a wildlife cruise in SItka with Capt. Davey, and the whale watching here in Gloucester on StellWagen Bank is great, I wanted to find other things to do. I think we are going to do the tramway, and go out to Mendenhall Glacier.

Just noticed that you are from Mansfield, we lived in Attleboro until about 18 months ago when we relocated to Milford, NH.

Hi ex neighbor,

as soon as you said Gloucester, I knew where you were from !.... I am also just waiting confirmation from Capt Davey- Looks like i'm going before you, so if you want feedback after i'm back, let me know

thanks everyone for the input--- wish we had more time there---

Sandy

thanks,

Sandy

There have been many great reviews of Harv and Marvs Whale Watching tours www.harvandmarvs.com on these boards. There web site is awesome......look at their pictures, read their experience, their guarantee, etc. I booked with them for July because of the reviews they are getting, their site, and their attention to the customer when you call or email. I especially like the fact that they carry 6 or less guests out at a time. We have learned that in Alaska, when looking for wildlife.......smaller is better. We have also whale watched with Orca and found them to be very good.......though a larger vessel. The ship excursions carry a lot more people and we found this unsatisfactory. Please do not" NOT go because you think there are not any......there are and this is an opportunity of a lifetime. I would never spend time walking around a city, when I could be out experiencing wildlife.....as long as I can afford it :D . gg

If you are doing the tram or the Mendenhall glacier don't book it from the ship. The tram is walking distance and there are MANY buses that take you to the Glacier (they run every half hour) for $6 each way. This is better (in my opinion) as with the tour you only get 1 1/2 hours. I needed longer as I walked right out to the glacier. The tour was $36 on the ship and $20 at a kiosk just as you leave the ship.

At the tram they sell a combined Tram and glacier ticket which was good value. Tram was $24.95, bus $17.95 or both for $34.

We are doing the Photo Safari Land and Sea... We haven't done it yet, so I am hoping that it is worth it and great !

Tori

We did the Photo Safari by Land and Sea a few weeks ago and trully enjoyed it. I hope you are comfortable in really small craft that get tossed around a bit by the wake of large boats - that would be the only caution I would give.

Other than that - it is really nice as the group is quite small and our guide was quite personable and knowledgable. The sea part is in Auke Bay, and the land part is one of the hiking trails around the Mendenhall Glacier.

You should be able to get some great shots, rain or shine!

Enjoy!

Please do not" NOT go because you think there are not any......there are and this is an opportunity of a lifetime. I would never spend time walking around a city, when I could be out experiencing wildlife.....as long as I can afford it :D . gg

The poster has been whale watching out of Gloucester and looking for other Juneau tours. I whale watch out of Gloucester all the time. Excellent sightings, will be going out for 3 days next week.

They weren't disputing there weren't any in Juneau. But I've always seen more out of Ma. depending on the sand eel migration. If they are "in", there have been up to 50++ humpbacks I've seen on a 3-4 hour trip. But they are on a 7 year cycle and not the same sighting numbers every year. Also they have more white on them (flukes) compared to Pacific humpbacks and with the funky green water of the Atlantic, you can see humpbacks from a distance off, neon green glowing under water. :)

OK sorry, I got carried away. :)

Please do not" NOT go because you think there are not any......there are and this is an opportunity of a lifetime. I would never spend time walking around a city, when I could be out experiencing wildlife.....as long as I can afford it :D . gg

The poster has been whale watching out of Gloucester and looking for other Juneau tours. I whale watch out of Gloucester all the time. Excellent sightings, will be going out for 3 days next week.

They weren't disputing there weren't any in Juneau. But I've always seen more out of Ma. depending on the sand eel migration. If they are "in", there have been up to 50++ humpbacks I've seen on a 3-4 hour trip. But they are on a 7 year cycle and not the same sighting numbers every year. Also they have more white on them (flukes) compared to Pacific humpbacks and with the funky green water of the Atlantic, you can see humpbacks from a distance off, neon green glowing under water. :)

Hi ex neighbor,

as soon as you said Gloucester, I knew where you were from !.... I am also just waiting confirmation from Capt Davey- Looks like i'm going before you, so if you want feedback after i'm back, let me know

thanks everyone for the input--- wish we had more time there---

Sandy

Sandy, I'd love to hear what you think of the trip with Capt. Davey. I saw photos that someone else took recently. The whale watching arounf here is good for humpback and finback whales. I an hoping to see some orca (even if at a distance) and other wildlife in addition to the whales. The harv and maev website does have some amazing pictures and there are lots of good things posted all over about them. I just dont want to spend two port days whale watchign and I already booked Sitka. I think we'll go up to Mendenhall glacier and take the tramway up Mt. Roberts.

BQ - I did not think she was disputing the fact that there were whale watching tours, I was addressing the OP's first sentence "Having trouble finding small reputable whale watch co. in Juneau for late August..."

Somehow I totally missed the part about the whale watching in Glouchester,:confused: but would not have mattered, since I thought her original question was about wanting to whale watch in Juneau and not being able to find reputable companies. Since I know there are at least 2 (and I am sure more), and that I was not pleased with the ship tour on one trip, I addressed her first statement. Somehow your quote of what I said and your response just befuddled me.....I think I must be missing something here. :) gg

thanks,

Sandy

If not whale watching, there's absolutely nothing to do in Juneau!

EXCEPT-of course-museums, Mendenhall, fishing, scenery, sightseeing, tram, hiking, Red Dog, crab eating, shopping, glacier trek, kayak. I get bored just thinking about it ;)

I would put a strong vote in for taking a bus out to Mendenhall and hiking the trails for part of the day.

I think Might Great Trips starts runs at either 8 or 830 and it was $6.00pp per way for the 15 minute ride.

Check out the trails and if you can, walk along the edge of the water and get to closer to Mendenhall and the waterfall - it's great fun!

There are lots of shops to check out while there and the Tram is super close to the cruise ships...it's right down town - you can't miss it.

My question about Mendenhall is what about the bears? Is it risky to hike those trails? Mendenhall looks gorgeous but I won't enjoy it if bear encounters are at all likely. Sooo... I'm thinking of Goldbelt's Spirit Tracy Arm tour so I can see glaciers and wildlife from a distance. A lot more $$ however. Any ideas?

Archived