Has Anyone Been Close to Hubbard in 2007?

tapia

It seems to me that a lot of the ships aren't getting as close as they did in prior years to Hubbard....is that the case?

Has anyone been close and seen good calfing this year?

It seems to me that a lot of the ships aren't getting as close as they did in prior years to Hubbard....is that the case?

Has anyone been close and seen good calfing this year?

Just this last May I was at Hubbard Glacier and the ice was so thick we could not get in. But in May of 2005 we could. We got within 1/2 mile of the glacier. As I understand that area had a particular bad winter with lots of snow and ice so it is the chance you take. But going into the area of the glacier there were spectacular views. Still well worth going.

Marilyn

we were not there in 2007 but in july of 2004. I was on the radiance of the seas and apparently we were the closest that the captain had ever gone before. It was amazing. When a chunk fell off of the glacier the wave was big enough to move the ship a great deal. It was such an experience!!!

I could have probably seen some had I used my binoculars for a while. I'll see if I can post a picture to show how close we were, as I have no gauge for how "close" is "close".

Try this one. You can just see the glacier in the back. We didn't get a whole lot closer.

hubbard.jpg

Thanks for all the great information. I would just actually like to see the glacier......ya know? And some calfing--I can just imagine it would be such a great experience.

We went May 26,2007 and we didn't get very close. The captain took us in and promptly turned us around and we left. Not sure if this is the case with all? A Celebrity ship got a little closer than us but left just as quick :confused:

I could have probably seen some had I used my binoculars for a while. I'll see if I can post a picture to show how close we were, as I have no gauge for how "close" is "close".

Try this one. You can just see the glacier in the back. We didn't get a whole lot closer.

hubbard.jpg

Wow, I guess I expected to be a little closer than that.......Has anyone gotten closer? I have NO idea what distance that actually is....

I thought ships got close enough to see calfing without binoculars....

I was there last week and we got within several miles but the ice was too thick up close. The captain said this was close as he's been able to get all year with several weeks ago only being to close within 6 miles. Given the distance last week there was no issue with not feeling close. Yes, it was still cold and you could see the glacier like you were sitting right next to it.

I sent email to the HM on Oosterdam to ask about this and some oftherthings. He said that the heavy snow of this past winter was really effecting their ability to navigate into the strait and that they were not able to get as close as they would like. However he said that it may improve as the seas wears on. He also said that the viewing was good. Asthey are a bit farther away binocular or a good telephoto lens would be a wise thing to bring

I was there last week and we got within several miles but the ice was too thick up close. The captain said this was close as he's been able to get all year with several weeks ago only being to close within 6 miles. Given the distance last week there was no issue with not feeling close. Yes, it was still cold and you could see the glacier like you were sitting right next to it.

That sounds great to me.

Also, I'm bringing binoculars & a telephoto lens, so I hope I can see :-)

Thanks all!

We were told that we were the closest group of the year (we were there last week). I'll be honest, I didn't look very hard for the calving, but our naturalist said he saw 2-3 events over the course of an hour or so. I'll be honest, it Hubbard simply looked like a bigger version of Mendenhall.

We were told that we were the closest group of the year (we were there last week). I'll be honest, I didn't look very hard for the calving, but our naturalist said he saw 2-3 events over the course of an hour or so. I'll be honest, it Hubbard simply looked like a bigger version of Mendenhall.

Paint, I have been to Hubbard twice and very close to it and it is not similiar to Mendenhall at all. Mendenhall is small compared to Hubbard. That glacier is long and wide.

Marilyn

I was on the Oosterdam last week and was a little disappointed with Hubbard. We were not able to get too close because of all the ice. This was my fourth trip through the inside passage (first viewing of Hubbard). I must be the only one, but three times through Tracy Arm were wonderful. Turquoise, glassy waters, seals and pups on ice in the water, high mountains on either side of the ship. Not huge glaciers, but I always see calving. I stay outside all the way in and all the way out. I love all my trips to Alaska, but next time won't include Hubbard.

Paint, I have been to Hubbard twice and very close to it and it is not similiar to Mendenhall at all. Mendenhall is small compared to Hubbard. That glacier is long and wide.

Marilyn

Well it was white and icy, so I call that similar :).

I'm with luvalaska, I think I would skip the Hubbard next time as well if I had other options available to me.

I was on the Oosterdam last week and was a little disappointed with Hubbard. We were not able to get too close because of all the ice. This was my fourth trip through the inside passage (first viewing of Hubbard). I must be the only one, but three times through Tracy Arm were wonderful. Turquoise, glassy waters, seals and pups on ice in the water, high mountains on either side of the ship. Not huge glaciers, but I always see calving. I stay outside all the way in and all the way out. I love all my trips to Alaska, but next time won't include Hubbard.

We were on the Serenade of the Seas last week and got reasonably close. The weather was good, not sunny but also clear enough. I just took a peek at some of my photos and am pleased with the results. My guess is that we were about 4-6 miles out. Others on the same cruise may have better information. There was some large chunks of ice but the captain did a nice job of gently nudging them aside to get us in. There was a Princess (Island) I think there when we arrived. They were kind enough to depart and we did the same to a Celebrity ship later. Our time-line beginning to end was about 2.5 hours. Plenty of time for good photos.

I hope those that follow this summer have the same experience we did or better.

Well it was white and icy, so I call that similar :).

I'm with luvalaska, I think I would skip the Hubbard next time as well if I had other options available to me.

Sadly, it's too late for me. One of the reasons I picked the cruise is because I decided I wanted to see Hubbard....so, I'm kind of depressed nothing is getting close.......

Marilyn

Good to hear this. I was thinking Hubbard didn't end up really looking that big. Must just have been the distance from it.

Mendenhall was gorgeous this past May...I loved it. Best part of the cruise.

Too bad, from the photo that is posted here, it doesn't look like anyone is getting anywhere near the glacier that we did about 15 years ago. I was really disappointed in Glacier Bay 2 summers ago since my memory of Hubbard was of a glacier that was so much larger than the Marjorie Glacier. We're booked for next summer to visit both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, so shall get to compare (not a B2B, but NB and SB with 2 days in Seward.)

I guess it just shows us that each year is so different...so we can keep on returning!

Jan

I was on the Summit last week -- we too did not get close enough to see calving.. but I think we might have been alittle closer than the picture posted. But our captain did mention the ice was the problem.

If you want up close glacier... hike to Exit Glacier in Steward. This was the most wonderful up close experience for us. As you can actually touch it!

Welcome home, how was your river cruise?

Karen

The cruise itself was good, the food was awful. I hope to write a review over the 4th of July. I already have to admit - the small towns between Moscow and St. Petersburg already run together. I am going back to large ship cruises - I like having food options!

The cruise itself was good, the food was awful. I hope to write a review over the 4th of July. I already have to admit - the small towns between Moscow and St. Petersburg already run together. I am going back to large ship cruises - I like having food options!

Glad you enjoyed the cruise, sorry about the food. Looking forward to your review - WHERE will you be posting it?

Archived