Skagway - 3 hr. train through Carnival

jspirit

Is anybody really happy they did this? Seems like most of the reviews here say they are happy they did it once but wouldn't do it again. $ 200.00 ( for 2) for a so- so experience might not be worth it, when there seem to be lots of alternatives.

I just thought that it is "The " thing to do for a first time visitor. Should I stick with it? I want to have some free time to explore Skagway, so I don't want to be away all day.

There are beautiful sights along the train route but I don't know that you don't see just as beautiful sights on the rest of the cruise especially if you're doing any excursions like a whale watch or helicopter ride, etc.

In all honesty, Skagway was my least favorite stop and the train ride my least favorite excursion. Next time, we're renting a car in Skagway and driving to Haines where I understand there is better wildlife, etc.

Just my opinion... It was nice, beautiful scenery, yada, yada, yada... but I didn't think it was worth the money.

The train ride is nice. But don't book it via the ship. You can do it on your

own alot cheaper.

There is alot to do in Skagway. The town has alot of charm. One year we

were there for the 4th of July. The had the best parade I have every attended.

Have fun!

While the rail trip may not be for everyone, it's regarded as one of the top 10 rail attractions on earth, and has been the top-selling excursion in Alaska for most of the past century. I live 100 feet from the tracks and have been on it many, many times - most recently a month ago ( http://www.railsnorth.com/carcross-skagway2007.html ). To add variety, there are lots of independent excursions that combine the train with bus, bikes, kayaks, hiking and other activities.

Murray

IMHO, all depends on the weather. A sunny bright day and this is one of the best excursions. Cloudy and closed-in weather and you won't see a thing. That's why I suggest you NOT book in advance through the cruise, but buy a ticket if the weather is nice once you are in Skagway. They frequently sell for half-price, and you can be on the same train as the ship's excursion, so no concerns about being stranded.

IMHO, all depends on the weather. A sunny bright day and this is one of the best excursions. Cloudy and closed-in weather and you won't see a thing. That's why I suggest you NOT book in advance through the cruise, but buy a ticket if the weather is nice once you are in Skagway. They frequently sell for half-price, and you can be on the same train as the ship's excursion, so no concerns about being stranded.

The only time rail tickets are half-price is in mid May - a special for locals.

Murray

Also, If I am not mistaken, if you are just doing the 3 hour train ride, you should book thru the cruiseline, as you can board right at the dock. I think even the White pass RR website, says to book thru the cruiseline. If you want to do a combo tour, look at other operators, we booked thru Chilkoot Charters.

for doing the round-trip, 3 hour train ride...book it through the cruise ship. the train won't book you if they know you are with a cruise ship. plus you can board right at the dock.

we are very glad we did it, it was wonderful. the views are outstanding, even in the thick fog we got last sept. but next time i will do something else, something more active. the history lesson they give you is very interesting, you learn quite a lot. but DH got a good nap on the way back down, but then he falls asleep in the car while i am driving.

some tour driver in juneau, told my family that they should walk up to the train depot and claim to be a local to get a break on the price. it must not have worked because they paid full price through the cruiseline instead.

since there aren't that many locals, i would think they would know a local from a tourist:rolleyes:

Murray and others-- we have quite a lot of time in Skagway (5 am-8pm, though we will NOT be up at 5!) and are hoping to do something more active in the morning & early afternoon, then the 430-7 pm train. But we'd really like suggestions for what to do BESIDES the train, if anyone has them??? (We're not interested in renting a car, fyi, and we've booked a helitour in Juneau.)

When we were in Skagway last August they were hawking tickets for the train in town for up to half price. Didn't notice any disclaimers saying you had to be local.

The only difference between booking with the cruiseline and locally is where you get on and off the train. If booking with cruiseline, you get on and off right on the dock. If booking independently, you have to walk into town and pick up the train at their loading dock. You can still get off at the dock even if not booked with the cruiseline...at least that's what my cousins did. Since you will be in Skagway until 8pm, there's no worries about getting back in time for the ships' departure.

Note: if some of your party have booked thru cruiseline and others have not, you will NOT be in the same train car. Independents get on a different car and you CANNOT move from car to car during the tour.

The scenery was beautiful, and there are many great photo opportunities. It can get a bit chilly whilst standing outside getting pictures, so bring a jacket.

Other things to do in Skagway: there's a melodrama type theatre, nice shopping, a quaint period town to explore, and other more physical activities available for you.

Have a great time!!

are you doing the Mendenhall Glacier Rapids tour? The river was very high last year, and we had some really fun rapids to navigate! Not sure about the river this year tho.

When we were in Skagway last August they were hawking tickets for the train in town for up to half price. Didn't notice any disclaimers saying you had to be local.

If you would have checked "the fine print", they were actually selling van tours that are "just like the train" or some such misleading phrase according to the hawkers (it isn't).

Murray

Haven't been there yet, but have read and read and read....

I, too, was skeptical of the WP Rail trip - sooooo..... we booked through Southeast Tours their Yukon horseback adventure.... They pick you up in a van, paralleling the train ride - (so you see the same beautiful scenery) and then bring us to Emerald Lake for horseback riding.

I have really thought long and hard about this excursion, because we have booked independently (never did that before), it is all day and we won't have much time at all to see the town of Skagway.

I learned here that Skagway is all about that scenic drive up to the Yukon. We'll do our shopping in Juneau and Ketchikan.

We are renting a car in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake. Since there are 4 of us it is one of the least expensive things to do. It is supposed to be a beautiful drive.

I had a friend do the train last year and she really liked it.

Next time, we're renting a car in Skagway and driving to Haines where I understand there is better wildlife, etc.

Just my opinion... It was nice, beautiful scenery, yada, yada, yada... but I didn't think it was worth the money.

I hope you are overnighting in Skagway. From the 2007 Milepost. "Although Skagway is only 15 miles from Haines. It is 359 miles by road!" (pg.725) figuring a very conservative 50 mph. That is 7 hours one way!

I hope you are overnighting in Skagway. From the 2007 Milepost. "Although Skagway is only 15 miles from Haines. It is 359 miles by road!" (pg.725) figuring a very conservative 50 mph. That is 7 hours one way!

1,000 pardons mapsmith (how appropriate). I believe someone we met at dinner on the Pearl ferried to Haines then rented a car for sight seeing there. I'm certain I'll have this detail worked out prior to our next Alaska trip.

We took the 3 hour train ride last July and all of us --myself and my husband and our 2 kids (ages 6 and 9)-- LOVED it! The scenery was breathtaking, even with a bit of fog, and I loved being on the train instead of in a car because of the history of the railroad. We had ordered a few books ahead of time (from the WPYRR website) to learn all about Skagway at the time of the gold rush, which was money well spent and made us even more excited for the ride. We did spend most of our time while on the train standing on the platform outside -- very chilly (dress warmly) but fantastic!

Then in the afternoon we had about 1 1/2 hours in town (make sure you check out the gold rush museum) before we took a hike and float trip.

Enjoy your time in Skagway! We are cruising to Alaska this year and, unfortunately, are not going to Skagway again. If we did, we'd be back on the train!

Sounds like something we should not miss doing. It is an important part of Skagway. Since it only takes 3 hours, it still leaves us lots of time to explore other things as well.

Feel better now, thanks!

1,000 pardons mapsmith (how appropriate). I believe someone we met at dinner on the Pearl ferried to Haines then rented a car for sight seeing there. I'm certain I'll have this detail worked out prior to our next Alaska trip.

The Ferry makes sense. I am trying to find an independent tour (with someone who really knows the history) for Dyea. Seems like a lot of buried history that might be interesting. At least from what minimal information that I have uncovered. (But again, I like prowling graveyards {and Old Maps of course})

Different strokes for different folks! Skagway was my favorite port because of the train trip! I booked the rail/bus excursion to Carcross with Chilkoot Charters, but found out when we arrived in Skagway that the train wasn't running all the way to Carcross due to the tracks being washed out. So - we opted for the 7-hour excursion with train to Fraser, BC, followed by the bus to Carcross and back. The day started out somewhat overcast, but the views from the train were beautiful. I spent most of the time on the platform between cars. By the time we began the drive to the Yukon, the sun had come out and the skies were blue.

If I were going to do a shorter trip (and at one time I did book the 3.5-hour rail/bus excursion with Chilkoot Charters), I would take the train one way and the bus the other direction.

By the way, the day we were there, the roundtrip train for those who booked with the cruiseline was NOT next to our ship. Something about the crew wanting to watch a sporting event...and they couldn't get reception if the train was as far back as the ship. (We were the only ship in port that day - June 8th.)

Archived