$1,000 or Free Suite Upgrade...your choice?

wldflr

Do you spend that much on board? If you do you might want to take the money, otherwise think if you will ever be able to be in a suite again. I don't think we could ever afford to pay for it, so I would take the suite and enjoy it for that one time. Have fun:)

Even if OP doesn't spend all the money then they could get a refund at the end of the cruise. Win-win as far as I can see. Take the refund and use it for a deposit for a future cruise!

Even if OP doesn't spend all the money then they could get a refund at the end of the cruise. Win-win as far as I can see. Take the refund and use it for a deposit for a future cruise!

They would give a refund on an OBC?

They would give a refund on an OBC?

Absolutely. If you don't spend all of your OBC then the night before (or the morning of debarkation) you can just get a refund cheque.

Sometimes OBC is also put on your account by you in advance of sailing. We do that all the time. Helps defray the cost so we don't finish our cruise with a heart attack! LOL But if there's anything left, then it comes back to you. No problem. They just give you OBC instead of a refund right off in the hopes that you will go hog wild and spend it all and then they don't actually have to fork over cash.

Absolutely. If you don't spend all of your OBC then the night before (or the morning of debarkation) you can just get a refund cheque.

Sometimes OBC is also put on your account by you in advance of sailing. We do that all the time. Helps defray the cost so we don't finish our cruise with a heart attack! LOL But if there's anything left, then it comes back to you. No problem. They just give you OBC instead of a refund right off in the hopes that you will go hog wild and spend it all and then they don't actually have to fork over cash.

Hi KAWS,

Never come across this before, is this all cruise lines?:confused:

Has anyone else had any money back?

We have never had enough OBC to have any left at the end of the cruise:(

Next year on our cruise to Venice we have £150 ($300):)

That will last until the first port:(

Happy cruising

:cool:

Dai

Hi KAWS,

Never come across this before, is this all cruise lines?:confused:

Has anyone else had any money back?

We have never had enough OBC to have any left at the end of the cruise:(

Next year on our cruise to Venice we have £150 ($300):)

That will last until the first port:(

Happy cruising

:cool:

Dai

Yes, all cruise lines will give you a refund.

If this onboard credit is in the form of cash and given by the group, I see no reason for a person not to get a refund. If it is a credit from the cruiseline, I would doubt they would refund cash. Therefore, use it up before the end of the cruise. $1000 wouldn't go all that far, we spend around $100 per day (some of this might be on shore) on a cruise, so an extra $300-400 for a whole week could go real fast. I think our spending is lower than average.

I would take the suite upgrade. I agree that the differential from the balcony cabin to a suite is probably more than $1000, for two people. I also tend to spend a lot on my onboard account, but I've already included that when planning the trip. I like the extra room in a suite but find that certain trips are not worth the extra money. This would provide the extra amenities and room of a suite without having to pay for it.

• 4 months later...
The very large cruise group that we travel with every February has a drawing for one lucky cabin...either $1,000 shipboard credit or an upgrade to a suite.

So I wondered...which would you choose if they chose you?

We're already booked for a balcony cabin on the Lido deck so the decision would be a tough one. The suite upgrade would be sweet (!) but so would $1,000 to spend in the gift shops and the bar...

So tell me your choice...suite or the money? And why.

If I have the opportunity, I would take the $1000. You can only spend so much time in the room and the 1K would go a long way for shore shopping and onboard spending....dont you agree?

As long as I was already in a balcony room, I would take the money. We don't spend nearly that much, but we could. First, paid off the tips, then book an expensive excursion in each port, then dinner in the specialty restaurants (we've never tried that), then some spa treatments we wouldn't ordinarily treat ourselves to, etc.

No contest for me. I'd take the suite. My budget/spending money would already be saved and I don't buy a lot on board... ok I did buy a black pearl necklace on the Tahitian Princess BUT I also won the big bingo. My DH would complain if I spent the extra money on the suite, although we normally get a mini suite. This way I'd get the extra room we'd both enjoy and he wouldn't have to be Scrooge.

Take the money. If you are not normally a big spender onboard, start making up your Christmas list and purchase gifts on the ship for the next holiday. You will be one step ahead of the game. On our last cruise, I purchased lovely shawls, and when I got invited to birthday celebrations. etc., I always had a ready gift. People loved them.

If the cruise was a b2b or a two weeker, I might be inclined to take the suite. Otherwise, I'd take the OBC. Then EVERYTHING would be paid for on your cruise and maybe even a little left over to cash out and bring home.

Agee with $'s. My tab runs about a $150 a day on average so it would certainly save my heart when I got the bill :) . I've done the suite thing and really don't know if I would do it again for the $$'s difference.

The pp that suggested an interior with $1,000 cash, that one makes sense to me!

Show me the money. As long as I already have a balcony the room makes no difference to me.

DITTO! This was going to be my reply, but you beat me to it.

While I've not actually had a full suite, I have had the mini-suite and there isn't that much difference from the the balcony cabin. Even Concierge Class on Celebrity only gives you an extra 20 sq ft. As long as I have that balcony to go out on, the $1000 cash will buy a lot of souvenirs, drinks, spa days, etc.

Archived