HELP! Can't decide between two excursions

fabnsab

Hello all, we are sailing on the June 6th Norwegian Star and can't decide between the White Pass Railway or the Yukon Territory scenic drive. My husband wants to do the train but I think it'll be cramped(we're not small people) and boring. I want to do the other. We're 28 and 30 years old by the way, if that makes any difference.

Can anyone give me any opinions either way on this. I want to book online but we're at an impasse...Thanks so much!

Only you can decide. icon_smile.gif The train is significant for history, scenery and engineering. If you have a long port day- you could do both? Perhaps let him take the morning train- you head to the Park Service Visitor center- , take a walking tour, shop, go on a flight??? Then meet back up early afternoon for your drive?

How long is the Yukon scenic drive? I have seen some tours are 4 hours and others 8 hours

I actually have done both and prefer the Yukon bus trip but I am glad I have had the opportunity to do both.

You will not feel cramped on the train - they have bench like seats and there is plenty of room.

We had the same dilemna. Decided to take the train in the a.m., then rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake in the afternoon. They say it's different enough. I think we'll look forward to getting off on our own for awhile, but didn't want to miss the train experience.

Thanks for the responses. This is the description of the Yukon Scenic Drive...

With your mountain guide at the wheel, our mini buses will transport you up the original White Pass Trail of '98. Pass waterfalls, glaciers and peaks before crossing the mountain cradle of the 3,290-foot summit and following a jewel-like string of headwater lakes that feed the Yukon River. In the Yukon, you will visit the village Carcoss. Rich in history, you will be charmed by its picturesque log cabins, hotel and general store (the oldest operating store in the Yukon). Further north, see the "smallest desert in the world", and then continue to Emerald Lake, truly a gem in its green valley setting. Lunch is a home-style affair at Spirit Lake Wilderness Resort, famous throughout the Yukon for its wonderful pies.

Approximate Duration:

5 hours

We're 30/32 and looking forward to taking the train up and riding bikes down. On bikes, we'll get to see everything on the road, stop for pictures, etc. but we'll also work off breakfast. We won't be going into the Yukon and Emerald Lake does sound nice, but I can't pass up the opportunity to ride on the historic train. I confess. I'm an engineer.

Hi, I would like to strongly suggest if you go on the Yukon tour stop at the Cinnamon Bun Cash and not Spitit Lake resort. The people are true northerners and the food is MUCH better than Spirit Lake Resort. The Cinnamon Bun place has all home made food, we ate at Spirit Lake and the food was super expensive with not much of it and poor service.

Southeast Tours has a tour that goes into the Yukon as well and they go to Emerald Lake the Yukon horseback tour they ride behind Emerald Lake which I have heard is a wonderful tour. OUr friends took that one and we plan on going on it in 2005.... Happy holliday...

Ok, so whats a girl to do when she can't decide?? She gets both!

We have been through the pro's and con's of both and just felt that we would be missing something by not experienceing both.

We are goin on the 8:30am Yukon Drive which will get us back at 2pm then we go on the 4:30 White Pass Rail trip which will get us back at 8.

I am more of a hands on person. I like photo ops and getting off and experiencing things firsthand, not through a window but I know that hubby wanted the train badly and I know I'll love it once I'm on it.

Hubby was worried it would be a bit hectic, but hey, our life is hectic. There's nothing hectic about sitting on a train for 3 hours, watching natures wonders roll by! Sure beats a day at work!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Archived