Guides/Tours in South America

sophie1

We are looking for guides or private tours for 2-8 people in Rio, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Sao Paulo. Any Suggestions.

After reading several good reports about WOWArgentina travel agency, we booked our BA post cruise trip to Iguazu Falls and our stay in BA through them. We've dealt with Karina and found her to be very efficient and helpful.

In Feb this year we used Defrantur for all our BA tours,transfers,tango show and trip to Iguazu Falls.Ricardo the boss of Defrantur came highly recommended on these boards and I could not fault the service he offered.Check out his web site for further info,I understand he can also arrange tours in Chile although he is based in Buenos Aires.

In Feb this year we used Defrantur for all our BA tours,transfers,tango show and trip to Iguazu Falls.Ricardo the boss of Defrantur came highly recommended on these boards and I could not fault the service he offered.Check out his web site for further info,I understand he can also arrange tours in Chile although he is based in Buenos Aires.

We used Ricardo in Jan 2006 for BA and Iguazu and he was great!

I am using Carlos of Private Tours for BA and Iguazu Falls and he has been most efficient and patient with all the changes I have made. He also has come highly recommended on the boards.

I am using Carlos of Private Tours for BA and Iguazu Falls and he has been most efficient and patient with all the changes I have made. He also has come highly recommended on the boards.

I have heard good things about him too.

Hi Sophie I don't know about Rio, Montevideo or San Pablo but I live in Buenos Aires. What would you like to do while visiting ? Maybe some shopping (leather ? sweaters ? antiques ?), having a traditional barbecue in a "estancia" near the city, seing a tango show, transportation from or to the airport ? Visit Recoleta district? Visit El Tigre ? Theres a nice zoo in Escobar too ("Temaiken") What time of the year are you coming? Lots of things to do and see. Ask me, maybe I can help. I would definetly go shopping at least !

Hi Sophie I don't know about Rio, Montevideo or San Pablo but I live in Buenos Aires. What would you like to do while visiting ? Maybe some shopping (leather ? sweaters ? antiques ?), having a traditional barbecue in a "estancia" near the city, seing a tango show, transportation from or to the airport ? Visit Recoleta district? Visit El Tigre ? Theres a nice zoo in Escobar too ("Temaiken") What time of the year are you coming? Lots of things to do and see. Ask me, maybe I can help. I would definetly go shopping at least !

September honeymoon,

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Which Tango show?? There are so many that have been mentioned! I have read about several in detail, and I think I have narrowed it down to El Querandi and Piazzolla. What are your thoughts/experiences?

Re: shopping, anything to consider besides leather and wine?

Re: dining, recommendations for the best seafood restaurants would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi Tarheelbelle. I know "Señor Tango" is a great tango show. You shoud go with some guide or local, not on your own. I really don't know about the shows you mentioned. About shopping...although most tourists end up in Florida Street there are great shopping centers in Buenos Aires you can visit (the exchange rate is 3 argentine pesos for one US dollar so you can get great deals) You can find great clothes, leather, sweaters, wine, etc. There are some nice seafood restaurants in Buenos Aires but it's not a specialty since there's not sea but a river cost (Rio de la Plata). Fish is brougt from the south, maybe it's better if you have seafood in Puerto Madryn or Ushuaia. You should have beef or pasta while in Buenos Aires. There are great american style restaurants and great local style restaurants. What would you like to try ?

September Honeymoon- I will also be in Buenos Aires for 3 days before our cruise in January. What are your thoughts about tour guides in BA? The two that were mentioned on this thread are:Defrantur and Private Tours. Do you know of either of them or do you know about any other reputable tour agencies?

:) Tarheelbelle - The real local specailty would be beef...but if you don't eat meet, this is what i would do: if you like Pasta, you can go to "La Parolaccia" in Puerto Madero (A. Moreau de Justo 1052) , if you like sushi, you can go to sushiclub in Puerto Madero too (A. Moreau de Justo 286), there's a restaurant I like called "La Bistecca" in Puerto Madero too (A. Moreau de Justo 1890). This place is self-service but has great options and I love desserts ("Tulipa de frambuesas")!

:) CruzinNoony - I would call "Sebastian" from "Legend Travel" (He's my travel agent and has been really great for me and my family. I booked my entire honeymoon last year through his agency) his e-mail is

sebastian@legendtravel.com.ar If you contact him, please say hi from Mariela (Tino's daughter !).

I'm currently working on our shore excursions for our trip so always interested to see who folks have used and recommend.

So far we have booked with:

Also

• Montevideo - Discussing some interesting wine options and touring with Tim Robertson (robertsonwinetours@gmail.com)

Appreciate everyones posts... keep them coming

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

We are booked on the X Infinity 2/15/08. Have just begun planning and need some suggestions for a hotel in BA. Tentatively planning on 4 days, 3 nights pre cruise. Have contacted a couple of tour guides and have received prompt replies.

We've never been to SA so we're really "green" on this part of the world. Suggestions appreciated.

Bop;)

We used Carlos whilst in Buenos Aires and he was excellent. I have also had correspondence with Pedro and I believe he is also a great guide for Brazil.

If we had our time over again, I would have used a guide in Montevideo. The tour with the ship was dreadful and for us a waste of time. At the time, no-one was recommending anyone for Montevideo.

Of course as more and more people travel to S.A. more information comes to hand. This where C.C. is such a good forum.

Jennie

We used Carlos whilst in Buenos Aires and he was excellent. I have also had correspondence with Pedro and I believe he is also a great guide for Brazil.

If we had our time over again, I would have used a guide in Montevideo. The tour with the ship was dreadful and for us a waste of time. At the time, no-one was recommending anyone for Montevideo.

Of course as more and more people travel to S.A. more information comes to hand. This where C.C. is such a good forum.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

It's me again! I got all your information from Julie and I have already heard from both Carlos' (BA and Puerto Montt). Thanks again! Still no response from Paula in Punta Arenas. I definitely prefer local guides to cruiseline tours. I call them MMOOOO tours due to the "cattle call" format. I hate to pay someone to take me shopping! I have only been on X once before and their tours left much to be desired and were not a good value.

I still don't have any information on Hotels in Buenos Aires. We are tentatively planning to spend almost 4 days in BA (3 night) and I am wondering if we really need that much time there. I usually think 2 or 3 days is enough to "delag" and see ther local sights. Four days is a bit long unless we have a lot we want to see. I am shamefully ignorant about SA so this is a real learning experience for me. Ask me about Europe or Australia but not SA at this point.

We still want to return to Australia again. I just heard from Goomblar, our Aborigine tour guide in the Blue Mts. He has a new Website. We still talk about his wonderful tour.

Seemount,

Thanks for the link. I'll send an e-mail for details on Montevideo tour.

Take care,

Jim;)

I have been trying to make contact with Whales Patagonia for 3 weeks..with no reply. I have emailed 2 different addresses and still nothing.Their website is in Spanish and google is not translating for me.Does anyone know a different way to reach them...I am early since we are not going until January on the Insignia...Thanks so much for anyones help...We want to do the Punta Tombo penguin tour. Are there anh other private guides for this?

hello there

We did a south american cruise about 3.5 years ago. Back them we contacted German from Hiunca travel. We did the Punta Tombo penguin tour and had a great time. We are going back to south america this December and already contacted him for another tour.

Please note that as an owner of a growing business, he told me that he rarely has the time to do the tours himself, but has a quality staff that work for him.

His website is: http://www.huincatravel.com

Noel

Hi Clint's Mom

We used whalespatagonia for our trip to Punto Tombo and they were excellent.The email I used was info@whalespatogonia.com.ar and the contacts name was IIeana Medici.Hope this helps.

Someone wanted advice on a hotel in Buenos Aires,I suggest the Claridge.We stayed there in Feb and found the experience most pleasant.It is very centrally place just a few steps from Florida Street which is the main shopping area,there was free internet access,a very good English style bar,and the staff were most helpful.This is a very popular hotel for cruise passengers and as it is reasonably priced it will quickly become fully booked.When we were there Princess Cruises booked in a load of people.Buenos Aires is a wonderful city with many things to do,we stayed 5 days but used 2 of these to fly up north to see the Igauzu Falls,which really should not be missed if you can afford the time and money.You will just love this cruise.

Hi Clint's Mom

Someone wanted advice on a hotel in Buenos Aires,I suggest the Claridge.We stayed there in Feb and found the experience most pleasant.It is very centrally place just a few steps from Florida Street which is the main shopping area,there was free internet access,a very good English style bar,and the staff were most helpful.This is a very popular hotel for cruise passengers and as it is reasonably priced it will quickly become fully booked.When we were there Princess Cruises booked in a load of people.Buenos Aires is a wonderful city with many things to do,we stayed 5 days but used 2 of these to fly up north to see the Igauzu Falls,which really should not be missed if you can afford the time and money.You will just love this cruise.

Hi Englishmum,

Thanks for the tip on the Claridge. Apparently, I waited too long to ask as the entine months of Jan and Feb 08 are booked. Probably the cruise lines have beat me to it. I was considering the Ibis Hotel but know nothing about it other than the recommendation and reviews on Tripadvisor. It is very reasonable but don't know about the location etc.

Cheers,

Jim;)

Hi Jim

Try http://www.south-america-hotels.com they have quite a choice of hotels.We used them and found them to be quite efficient.I think they have also got a toll free number if you are in the states,you will find this on their site.We booked our hotels and excursions about June of last year for our cruise in Jan-Feb of this year.If you are thinking of doing any private excursions I recommend you book them all as soon as possible,especially the Falklands.I understand from our guide there that because of the influx of so many cruise ships all the locals use their 4 wheel drives to take visitors around the island.The population is small and with so many cruise ships visiting it doesn't take long for everything to get fully booked.There is also a limitation on how many coaches the ship can hire so the ships excursions also get booked very quickly.It was very time consuming organising it all but I enjoyed every minute and when it all worked to perfection I had a great sense of satisfaction.

clints's mom I contacted two tour companies includiing the one you have been trying to contact and they told me that the whales will be gone by Dec. We are going Dec. 9 and they said there might be a chance that some will be there but they couldnt guarantee it.

Archived