Puffins?

emilygrace

I did a search but couldn't find the exact info I'm looking for. We will be in Sitka next May and would like to do a tour that includes seeing puffins. I don't need names of tour companies, but I am concerned about about actually seeing them. I read one thread that says they would probably not be there in September, but what about May? We will be there mid-May. I don't want to spend the $$$ for this excursion if DH cannot see the puffins.

Thanks!

Carol

You will need an independent boat tour to St. Lazaria Island. I was in Glacier Bay in this same timeframe and no puffins were seen in the rookery next to Margerie Glacier.

I would contact the vendor's directly and inquire of the sighting timeframe.

Are you going to Seward or Homer- plenty of puffins on boat tours there.

Thanks BQ! We were thinking of going with Capt. Davey Lubin. I've read good things about his tours and I think I will email him and ask about sightings that time of year. We really don't want to spend that kind of $$$ unless we can see the puffins.

Not going to Seward or Homer. Our new ports on this cruise (did the typical Inside Passage ones last time) are Sitka, ISP and Prince Rupert, BC.

Carol

Carol - I am not sure if they will be there in September, but we were in Icy Stait the first week of June and did a private boat excursion with Tok River Outfitters. Chris knew I wanted to see puffin if possible and took us to an island with loads of them and we saw them up close. You may want to call him and see if puffin stay around there till September because if so I highly recommend him for a wonderful wildlife tour. His # is 907-957-2410.

635308506_Alaska2007142.jpg.75a6552e1a7ede4e478ac900c955ac1b.jpg

Hello, on our Alaska tour - we just returned from, we went to the Alaska Wildlife Center and they had Puffins in their own little space - reserved just for them. It looks/ feels like it they're outside with all the lights etc, but they were actually inside their own zoo type of space. Actually it was very very nice. So this may be something else you can check into - A place inside that Puffins are available all season long. Cute - funny looking things aren't they? LOL

Penguin6969, where was the Alaska Wildlife Center? Which port?

I did email the tour guide and he said May would be too early to see them outside. He said mid-June to mid-August.

But I would like to know more about the Wildlife Center.

Thanks

Carol

Thanks BQ! We were thinking of going with Capt. Davey Lubin. I've read good things about his tours and I think I will email him and ask about sightings that time of year. We really don't want to spend that kind of $$$ unless we can see the puffins.

Not going to Seward or Homer. Our new ports on this cruise (did the typical Inside Passage ones last time) are Sitka, ISP and Prince Rupert, BC.

Carol

We saw a lot of puffins on our wildlife cruise out of Icy Strait Point with an independent tour operater. We were there around August 9th last year.

Hope this helps!

When we were in Glacier Bay on the Island Princess, last Saturday there was a large flock? if that is the right word, of Puffins identified by our on board naturalist. They we hanging out in the water right next to margeri glacier. best viewd with binoculars, but they were fun to watch. :)

http://www.alaskasealife.org/

Hi Carol! It's actually the Sea Life Center in Seward and very worth a visit, if you are getting off in Seward or flying in to Anchorage. Even worth the trip if you're getting off in Whittier, but you need at least one more day before flying out of Anchorage. So much to see in Seward, it's a lovely little town.

Shar

When we were in Glacier Bay on the Island Princess, last Saturday there was a large flock? if that is the right word, of Puffins identified by our on board naturalist. They we hanging out in the water right next to margeri glacier. best viewd with binoculars, but they were fun to watch. :)

There is a Puffin rookery to the left of Margerie Glacier.

Archived