Jewelry shopping in St. Thomas

Bernbun29

Bernbun 29,

I had a very disapointing experience with a very costly purchase of emerald jewelry at Havensight Mall in St. Thomas. Be very careful if you have anything "made to fit" like a ring resized. The store had a problem and didn't let me know the trouble they had. They just used some glue to have it ready for us to "pick up" in one hour. They knew we were only at port for one day. This was a reputable store recommended by another cruiseline.

If you know what you're doing you will probably do fine. My jeweler said I didn't get a great bargain either.

If y

There are many jewelry stores close to town.

If you want something nice, I would only recommend going to a shop that is part of a chain of jewelry stores rather than one that is individually owned.

And, I would highly recommend first looking in the states to get a feel for the price and the type of jewelry you are looking for, including its overall quality.

Keith

Hi,

I have been shopping with Grand Jewelers for many years. They are in town. ( I think it is 7 Main St) Ask for Jacky (Harjani). He is one of the owners.

I have a gorgeous blue and white diamond ring. Someone thought it was Cartier. Stunning. I also have beautiful diamond hoop earrings. (My third trade in).

They are very fair and their jewerly is quality.

Have fun! I plan to go back the beginning of Sept....Can't wait!

Where and what have been your best experiences? What do you recommend -- and is it close to port or do you need to go into town? This is my first trip to St. Thomas. Thanks!:confused:

I shopped at Ballerina in January, and it was terrific. They are definitely trying to get you to buy as much as possible, but they made deals and had great suggestions for items. And if you start by telling them how much you can spend -- ALWAYS make it lower than you really can spend -- they will try to stay within that.

The salesman who helped me recommended an Omega chain that was 14k yellow gold on one side and white gold on the other, 5mm. I really didn't want it because I think I have a thick neck, but I tried it on and it looked great. Because of the "thick neck" issue he also had me try on some thinner chains, but none of them looked as nice as the 5mm. It really lay around my neck beautifully. Anyway, it is the single piece of jewelry I wear most often now.

I recommend Cardow also http://cardow.com/home.jsp

I have purchased several items there for my DW over the years, and have always been please with the prices and service. They have two stores at Heavensight Mall, and at least one store downtown. In 2005, I got this beauty for my DW for a 25'th anniversary present http://www.cardow.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2058&categoryId=449&parentCategoryId=84

I have to give another very enthusiastic thumbs up for Grand Jewelers. I have been shopping with them for years, and I have bought many pieces from them, as have my mom and sister. We have always been very happy with our purchases.

I always deal with Lena (one of the owners) and I am planning another trip to St Thomas next year, and she is one of the reasons we are going back there!

Happy shopping!

Nancy

I recommend Cardow also http://cardow.com/home.jsp

I have purchased several items there for my DW over the years, and have always been please with the prices and service. They have two stores at Heavensight Mall, and at least one store downtown. In 2005, I got this beauty for my DW for a 25'th anniversary present http://www.cardow.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2058&categoryId=449&parentCategoryId=84

Thanks for the reply, your DW is a lucky woman (and I'm sure you are a lucky DH)

Has anyone gone to Chalet D'or? I have a picture of a ring that I really love and that's where it's from. I tore the page from one of those books that advertise St. Thomas.

My best advice is to research at home first. Know what you are looking at and what retail prices are like in the states. Also try to find out what wholesale prices are. Remember that the cruiseline guarantee if you buy at their recommended sites is bogus (at least on Carnival) - you have 30 days to have your item appraised by a "certified gemologist not associated w/any retail establishment". Try finding one. I bought a tanzanite ring at Tanzanite International and got the guy down 40% and when my jeweler (family jeweler for 40 years!!) appraised it it appraised for $1000 less. Lesson learned - I will either do a lot of homework prior to buying in the islands again or I just won't do it.

I'm wanting to purchase a Caribbean Hook Bracelet with larimar on it. Any suggestions on where to look and do you haggle over the price at all of the stores? Thanks for the help!

Where and what have been your best experiences? What do you recommend -- and is it close to port or do you need to go into town? This is my first trip to St. Thomas. Thanks!:confused:

Liberty Jewelers is at Drakes Passage on the waterfront. A short taxi ride from the Havensite cruise port....Rick & Chad are the owners and they are wonderful. I have shopped there numerous times and happy with my purchase/s.

I have not shopped at this store before so I do not know anything about them, but they have Larimar and Silver Hook Bracelets on their web site. http://www.thetradewindsshop.com

If you go to their web site and click on Jewelry Collection and then on Bracelets under Larimar, you will find some there.

It is also located on the waterfront. I want a bracelet or pendant with Larimar also so I am going to check them out and I will go to Drakes Passage also.

At the Havensight dock, Captain's Corner stores have larimar hook bracelets. They also have 2 stores in town with bracelets.

The Tradewinds Store in town does have a good selection, too, but also check the Down Island Traders store on the Waterfront. I know they have larimar, but not sure if they have the hook bracelets with larimar.

I think prices start at around $30.

Good luck and happy shopping for your bracelets!

I have not shopped at this store before so I do not know anything about them, but they have Larimar and Silver Hook Bracelets on their web site. http://www.thetradewindsshop.com

If you go to their web site and click on Jewelry Collection and then on Bracelets under Larimar, you will find some there.

It is also located on the waterfront. I want a bracelet or pendant with Larimar also so I am going to check them out and I will go to Drakes Passage also.

Liberty Jewelry at Drakes Passage is http://www.islands.vi/~liberty/

I believe it was Ballarina Jewelers. I ended up paying just about what I would have at home in the States. No real deal on price, but I have a beautiful, custom made mother's ring with both my kids' birthstones as an hierloom souvenir of St. Thomas. :)

Archived