Crocs in the Dining Room?

IMHO, the original styles are ugly and only appropriate in the garden, on the beach, for a nurse to wear at work, or for someone who has such a severe foot injury that no other shoe would fit. Even the newer ones look too casual for dinner.

LOL. I don't like the original style either. I may try the new flip flop style though for the beach and pool. But even at that, IMO they are way too casual for a nice dinner in the formal dining room. I just would never wear them.

But, if you want to wear them I sure won't care!!!!:D Each to his own.

Thanks to the poster who showed us the different styles in crocs.

I really like the Sassari - they look like very nice espadrilles. Casual, but somewhat classic. I think we all probably take awhile getting used to new style trends. But heck, that's what fashion is all about-trying something new and different; who wants to wear the same old styles-we'd all be wearing those high heel boots from the 1890's or the platform shoes from the 1970's if we weren't open to change.

Oh, I've tried so hard to refrain from jumping into this thread but finally gave in. Would I wear Crocs to the dining room? Yes -- and I've done so. My black ones, similar to the beach ones, without the holes in the top. It was on NCL, which is more casual anyway, but after long days of being on my feet for excursions, they were swollen and I couldn't wear anything else comfortably.

My children tease me about my "ugly toes", so believe me, you'd rather see me with Crocs on than with my ugly toes hanging out of sandals or flip flops. My point is, WHO CARES???? I honestly don't notice what people wear on their feet. As long as their clothing is clean and neat, I honestly don't notice what other people have on. To me, revealing clothing is more offensive than Crocs, but to each their own.

Oh, I've tried so hard to refrain from jumping into this thread but finally gave in. Would I wear Crocs to the dining room? Yes -- and I've done so. My black ones, similar to the beach ones, without the holes in the top. It was on NCL, which is more casual anyway, but after long days of being on my feet for excursions, they were swollen and I couldn't wear anything else comfortably.

My children tease me about my "ugly toes", so believe me, you'd rather see me with Crocs on than with my ugly toes hanging out of sandals or flip flops. My point is, WHO CARES???? I honestly don't notice what people wear on their feet. As long as their clothing is clean and neat, I honestly don't notice what other people have on. To me, revealing clothing is more offensive than Crocs, but to each their own.

Glad you jumped into the thread, because I agree with you on all points!! Everyone is on vacation, and as long as you are not directly effected by the Crocs on someone else's feet, then who cares what they wear? People wearing Crocs in dining rooms are being judged, but no one knows the circumstances as to why they're wearing them. Everyone is stating "Unless you have a foot problem, they shouldn't be worn." But if you're in the dining room, how would you know WHY that person is wearing Crocs? A lot of people have trouble on a cruise with eating different foods and doing more walking then usual, and Crocs are the only thing they could wear. Lets see who's laughing when all of you wearing your ultra sexy shoes come back with calluses, corns and blisters all over your feet...:rolleyes:

I personally would not wear them, but know my young children will wear with their cute outfits...have to say I think they look great on toddlers...so they will, but I don;t own a pair and will not...but love 'em on my little one's. :)

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkslateblue]I own a pair of "Mary Jane" crocs and I [B]HAVE[/B] worn them with capris, out to eat at places like "Outback Steakhouse" etc... So I would wear them on a casual dinner night on a cruise. They are not "ugly" or make my feet look big, like the ones that I own that I wear in the garden. They are black and just as cute as any casual summer shoe/sandal style out there. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=#483d8b][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.shoebuy.com/crocs-mary-jane/190634/425032"][IMG]http://i.shoebuy.com/pi/crocs/crocs190634_89356_fs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote=Rodeomomof2;10666171 [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkslateblue][B]They are not "ugly[/B]" ... :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.shoebuy.com/crocs-mary-jane/190634/425032"][IMG]http://i.shoebuy.com/pi/crocs/crocs190634_89356_fs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

Umm...beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. :cool:

[quote name='happysinglemom']Umm...beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. :cool:[/quote]

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkslateblue]Yeah, I think so too, I get compliments on them all of the time when I wear them. I have given the online store where I bought them a LOT of business.;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Sabrett']Glad you jumped into the thread, because I agree with you on all points!! Everyone is on vacation, and as long as you are not directly effected by the Crocs on someone else's feet, then who cares what they wear? People wearing Crocs in dining rooms are being judged, but no one knows the circumstances as to why they're wearing them. Everyone is stating "Unless you have a foot problem, they shouldn't be worn." But if you're in the dining room, how would you know WHY that person is wearing Crocs? A lot of people have trouble on a cruise with eating different foods and doing more walking then usual, and Crocs are the only thing they could wear. Lets see who's laughing when all of you wearing your ultra sexy shoes come back with calluses, corns and blisters all over your feet...:rolleyes:[/quote]

If someone truly has foot problems that necessitate wearing a shoe like Crocs, that's fine. However, I think it's sometimes the case that people don't really TRY to find good looking shoes that are also comfortable.

Before anyone jumps to respond, I've had foot problems all of my life. I have diabetes. I've had broken bones in both feet and cannot wear heels. I have a hammer toe (sorry if TMI....). Yet, I have ALWAYS managed to find shoes that are both comfortable and stylish. There are any number of shoe companies out there that make high quality shoes that aren't made out of plastic or whatever synthetic material Crocs are made of. It's just a matter of looking.

I will often spend several weeks looking for a new pair of shoes, but I don't give up. I'm sorry -- and don't mean to offend -- but I don't want to wear something like Crocs that only draws attention to my foot problems. To me, that's like giving up.

[quote name='cruisemom42']If someone truly has foot problems that necessitate wearing a shoe like Crocs, that's fine. However, I think it's sometimes the case that people don't really TRY to find good looking shoes that are also comfortable.

Before anyone jumps to respond, I've had foot problems all of my life. I have diabetes. I've had broken bones in both feet and cannot wear heels. I have a hammer toe (sorry if TMI....). Yet, I have ALWAYS managed to find shoes that are both comfortable and stylish. There are any number of shoe companies out there that make high quality shoes that aren't made out of plastic or whatever synthetic material Crocs are made of. It's just a matter of looking.

I will often spend several weeks looking for a new pair of shoes, but I don't give up. I'm sorry -- and don't mean to offend -- but I don't want to wear something like Crocs that only draws attention to my foot problems. To me, that's like giving up.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but a lot of people go out and by what their podiatrist recommends, and since I work for one, I've heard him recommend Crocs to a countless number of patients.

[quote name='Sabrett']Yes, but a lot of people go out and by what their podiatrist recommends, and since I work for one, I've heard him recommend Crocs to a countless number of patients.[/quote]

For an event (such as dinner on board ship followed by a show) where you are going to spend much of the night sitting??:rolleyes:

[quote name='cruisemom42']If someone truly has foot problems that necessitate wearing a shoe like Crocs, that's fine. However, I think it's sometimes the case that people don't really TRY to find good looking shoes that are also comfortable.

I will often spend several weeks looking for a new pair of shoes, but I don't give up. I'm sorry -- and don't mean to offend -- but I don't want to wear something like Crocs that only draws attention to my foot problems. To me, that's like giving up.[/quote]

So people should go out and spend hundreds of dollars looking for shoes that won't hurt their feet (it is often after wearing a shoe for a couple days that you know if they will work for you, and then it is too late to return them). If they decide not to go that route, than they are giving up? Yes the bright colors will draw attention to your feet, but the more neutral ones blend in better, as well as the nice stylish ones for women.

MAC

[QUOTE]For an event (such as dinner on board ship followed by a show) where you are going to spend much of the night sitting??[/QUOTE]
As mentioned before, I don't wear anything open toed, so as to protect other guests from my "ugly toes", and after spending all day on the deck, standing on my feet while viewing glacier bay, my black dress shoes weren't going on my feet -- literally. I guess I could have gone barefoot, put my sneakers back on, or worn my bedroom slippers? Would any of those have been a more positive fashion statement :D ?

As far as spending much of the night sitting, we had a forward cabin and were eating dinner in the aft restaurant on the ship. I then spent most of the night back out on deck watching the scenery and bypassed the show. Other than the hour and a half or so for dinner, sitting wasn't in my vocabulary.

If you've been able to find shoes that are comfortable for your foot problems that manage to be dressy, I'm glad that you've had success. I've looked for years and still haven't found anything comfortable enough to spend much time in, except one pair of Dansko's. Any suggestions you can pass along for brands that work for you would be appreciated.

[quote name='cruisemom42']For an event (such as dinner on board ship followed by a show) where you are going to spend much of the night sitting??:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Well, you're not going to get air lifted to the restaurant. These are 1,000 foot ships. You have to walk from your cabin, to the restaurant, and most people don't go right back after dinner, they like to walk around, and then go back to the cabin. And yes, that IS enough time for your feet to KILL you in a uncomfortable shoe. And like I said, if someone else is comfortable, and their shoes aren't all that good looking, why does everyone else have such a problem with that? :confused:

[quote name='Wadadli1']My chances of wearing Crocs in the dining room are the same as wearing snow shoes in the dining room, and I have some of both.

.[/quote]

Too funny Angela!

My opinion is no, the original style Crocs do not look appropriate in the dining room.

[quote name='BlueHerons']Too funny Angela!

My opinion is no, the original style Crocs do not look appropriate in the dining room.[/quote]

My first pair were/are the originals in orange, in honor of chef Mario Batali, of Babbo, etc., fame. I don't think I'd be able to sneak those babies into the dining room without someone noticing. ;)

Funny thing is.....

I didn't even know what crocs were until reading this board before my last cruise, I guess I just didn't notice them.

I bought some for that cruise, and am glad I did, my feet felt great all week.

So thanks to those on this board I now am a proud owner!:D

MAC

The first time I saw CROCS was in St. John last March. Our friends own an outdoor restaurant there and when I saw the waitresses (and the owner) wearing them, I was like.."what the hell is that on your feet?!!)

They explained that they were the best for comfort and they could do 8 hour shifts with no foot pain!

If drinks are spilled on them, you rinse them off etc...They gave a multitude of reasons for loving them. No clown colors...brown, black and navy! I slipped a pair on and was sold!! I love them better than sneakers for walking.

I never realized that they came in other styles until I saw it on these boards.

Living in a beach town, I find them useful.

And I won't argue..the original (BEACH)l ones are UGLY!! (But they are comfortable)

My sister is a NYC fashion "snob" and she loves them also...she just switched from sneakers to Crocs for her walks...

I have never tried Crocs and wouldn't wear them in an evening, however I'm curious about how comfy they are for day wear.

With them being plastic, don't your feet slip around in them?

[quote name='cavkc']I have never tried Crocs and wouldn't wear them in an evening, however I'm curious about how comfy they are for day wear.

With them being plastic, don't your feet slip around in them?[/QUOTE]

They're not plastic, according to the website, they're made out of Croslite PCCR material. They're made of a softer material than plastic, and your feet don't move around at all, and they don't sweat--at least mine don't.

No other Croc knock-off is allowed to use this material, so you'll never find any like the original

[quote name='Sabrett']They're not plastic, according to the website, they're made out of Croslite PCCR material. They're made of a softer material than plastic, and your feet don't move around at all, and they don't sweat--at least mine don't.

No other Croc knock-off is allowed to use this material, so you'll never find any like the original[/quote]

PCCR is not an actual material, it stands for "proprietary closed-cell resin."

And what is a resin? It's actually a type of plastic:

"Resin" is the common name for a class of casting polymers typically requiring two parts. When the two parts are mixed, they produce a chemical reaction and generate exothermic heat, causing the material to harden and fuse into a solid form. The result is a type of plastic.

(From [URL]http://www.riorondo.com/resinhorse/info/resin.html[/URL])

It's amazing to me what lengths marketers will go to in an attempt to differentiate their product.:rolleyes:

[quote name='cruisemom42']PCCR is not an actual material, it stands for "proprietary closed-cell resin."

And what is a resin? It's actually a type of plastic:

"Resin" is the common name for a class of casting polymers typically requiring two parts. When the two parts are mixed, they produce a chemical reaction and generate exothermic heat, causing the material to harden and fuse into a solid form. The result is a type of plastic.

(From [URL]http://www.riorondo.com/resinhorse/info/resin.html[/URL])

It's amazing to me what lengths marketers will go to in an attempt to differentiate their product.:rolleyes:[/quote]

Croslite is a proprietary product that is different from other plastics in the way that it conforms to the individual foot as it is worn, providing support in the needed areas. It is anti-microbial and leaves the shoes virtually odor-free. The plastic knock-offs sold by walmart, target, land's end, etc. are not made of the same material.

Yes, resin is a type of plastic. Comparing Crocs to other *plastic* shoes is like comparing a $7 pair of canvas sneakers from WalMart to a pair of high end New Balance or Rockports. Your opinion of crocs has come through loud and clear, which is fine--but constantly picking at them will not dissuade anyone who's worn them and loves them.

Archived