What foods looked better than they tasted?

flagger

I was reading in a thread how someone had ordered some cookies from Room Service and said they just looked divine. However when they bit into them, the sensation was less than desirable.

So let's have it. What food have you had on a cruise that looked good in presentation, sounded good on the menu, but when you tasted it wished you hadn't?

I think the desserts in general were not that good. A lot of gelatin in what was attempts to stretch certain foods or increase their shelf-life. Desserts that should have used butter but didn't. Particularly in the buffet -- many desserts had no flavour whatsoever and I couldn't honestly taste the chocolate if it was supposed to be, or similar. A lot of desserts tasted like they'd been made with mixes. Oh wait a minute...I just realized I'm on the Celebrity board...I was talkin' about Royal Caribbean!

Nevermind!

I've got to agree with the desserts. Especially those on the buffets. They just don't have a lot of taste, although they look great. I thought desserts at dinner were better, but still sometimes disappointing. The exceptions to this, at least for me, were Baked Alaska and Creme Brulee, which were both outstanding. I totally agree about the swan puffs.

Terri

Vary from ship to ship. Order them once and see. I can never remember which ship is good. Some of the desserts are not as tasty to us (Americans) because they are made in the European style with less sugar. This is not always as pleasing to our taste as, we are, let's face it, sugar nuts! We use a lot of sugar or sugar substitutes. That being said, some things just aren't very good. One thing I was surprised was good was the chocolate banana tart which is a sugar free dessert. Everyone kept saying how good it was so I tried it - very good. The cheesecakes are generally very good as are the ice creams in the dining room. You just pick and choose, try a little of this and a little of that and by your next cruise you'll have your favorites!

There are a number of desserts which perhaps are a bit too....subtle....for the american pallet. I love the little round tarts that have glazed fruits on top with a bit of custard or creme underneath. Also love panna cotta with some glazed black raspberries on top, or tarte tatin. Although, I agree there are others that are not too exciting! They have those wonderful sweet things at Cova Cafe in the late afternoon which are worth a stop. Oh, and on the last formal night they have the petit fours tray....and I love love love candied orange peel dipped in dark chocolate. I like them so much on one of our Mercury cruises I asked if I could get some the next night and they brought me a full plate of them, made just for me. I was in heaven.

Jeff

For me, besides those room service chocolate chip cookies, I would say it is the Baked Alaska. I always order something for dessert on that evening. If you pay attention to your menu when you order your dinner, there are some very interesting choices. I can have ice cream any time!

I found that the gala buffet desserts, while beautiful, did not quite taste as good as they looked. Some of the spun sugar creations were a bit burnt since the chefs were trying for the right color rather than the right flavor.

Overall, though, the Ceelbrity buffet was better than HAL. The HAL creations were spectacular but it was just way too much of a good thing.

Haven't been on Celebrity yet, but IMO the Baked Alaska, at least on other cruise lines is way over rated. It looks exciting, but doesn't taste that great. Some of the chocolate ones sound better than they actually are also. I love the flaming desserts, Bananas Foster, Jerries Jubilee, Peach Flambe, etc. that I have had on NCL. Of course, Creme Brulee is always wonderful. YUM!

I never order the cake by room service anymore. They had a wonderful looking Chocolate Cherry cake. But when I dove into it it was all wet and soggy on the bottom. I think they froze it and thawed it out again. :(

One thiing I have had on Celebrity a few times that taste better then they look are the homemade doughnuts. They don't look like anything special, but if they are make fresh. They were the best I have ever tasted!

Do they still make brioche rolls and serve them at breakfast? I would have my bowl of cereal and then two brioche, yummm.

Thanks for the tips about desserts. Never liked the swans either.

Scrambled eggs! Mind you, I ate them everyday so they weren't awful. It's just that I like them more wet or something like that. The ship's eggs were cooked through that's all.

I have to agree with the people who talked about the desserts. I did have dessert everynight but some of them just didn't taste like I thought they would.

Archived