motion sickness?

arb711

My question is about how motion sickness-producing the various shore excursions are - e.g. float plane, helicopter, small boat, etc. I unfortunately tend to get nauseous - took a small (i.e. 15-20 seat) plane from Boston to Long Island once in heavy wind and was green for hours after.... I've never found the wristbands to be all that effective, and I don't love the medicine (hyper or sleepy) - but I really want to go on these excursions! How much of a risk am I taking?

i would say that even for the cruise you had better find something that works. what works for the cruise will work for the others.

some report taking the meds at night, instead of in the morning, helped with the sleepiness.

our cruises has 1 rough morning and 2 rocky nights.

Patch? Motion-eaze (dab behind ear)? Meclazine? Non-drowsy Dramamine? Ginger tablets? There are LOTS of options out there! I'd be testing them all BEFORE the cruise and also consulting your doctor!

With your history, you have a great potential for motion sickness during this entire trip. I highly recommend you consult your health care profession for advice on what could be the best for you.

My question is about how motion sickness-producing the various shore excursions are - e.g. float plane, helicopter, small boat, etc. I unfortunately tend to get nauseous - took a small (i.e. 15-20 seat) plane from Boston to Long Island once in heavy wind and was green for hours after.... I've never found the wristbands to be all that effective, and I don't love the medicine (hyper or sleepy) - but I really want to go on these excursions! How much of a risk am I taking?

I agree with everyone else--having been sea sick I truely think nothing but death feels better:eek: now I wasn't expecting to get sea sick while whale watching in Cabo last Jan...but I did..ok it was rough & I didn't think to take anything..I plan and AM going whale watching in Juneau (Capt Larry)

Meclazine? Non-drowsy Dramamine? Ginger tablets? I have them all now--the Meclazine you can get at most pharmcy's (sp)(go ask for them at the druggist part they are over the counter but not in view--I got mine at Walgreens...I Plan to take Ginger tablets 2-3 times a day(rather safe than sorry--but I also will check this out with my Dr before leaving & taking them)--they won't hurt me either way..I figure it might be rough the first day out--then on our way down the coast after Alaska to California--also ginger hard candy & even ginger ale--none of those will hurt you to take them ..but if you get sick ALL the time I'd also check with my Dr first..aske him about these other things we have mentioned..he'd know if they'd do you any harm. good luck & hope you have a GREAT cruise.

Tell you the truth ,if you get sick ,LOOK OUT. I was on the Sun Princess 6/10-6/17. The seas were so rough that poeple were green all over the ship.

Our steward told us & I believe it, I talked to others on ship 7 out of 10 were sick. I took Meclazine,didn't help. Even people who had the patch were sick.

Our steward also told us that the trip from Seattle to Kechikan has been like this every time out this year.

I swear by the patch! It will work on all of the above for me. You can call your doctor and tell him what you are doing and he will call in a prescription for you to the pharmacy. It is a little, round, "band-aid" looking thing and you stick it on behind your ear a couple of hours before you get on the plane, ship etc... You leave it on for 3 days. You can bathe and it won't come off. After 3 days, you take that one off and put another one behind the other ear and so on depending on how many days you are gone. You don't have to worry about taking meds that will make you sleepy or making sure you take them every 4-6 hours. I also had some alcoholic drinks with the patch that you are not suppose to do with the oral meds. The only side effect I had ( and most everybody I talked to had the same one) was my eyesight being blurry. It was my close up vision. It felt like my eyes were always dilated but not quite as bad as when the eye Dr. puts the drops in. You could still read but it was a little difficult to see. Make sense?:cool:

Hope this helped

I agree with BudgetQueen, talk to your doctor about the different choices. Also consider talking to your pharmacist, sometimes there have great over-the-counter advice.

I will say this, someone mentioned Motioneaze (oils rubbed behind your ear) and it helped my daughter greatly. We were on a small boat in Sitka Bay and it got rough when we went fast. She turned green and got sick. This stuff made her feel completely better in about five minutes.

But even with that, I still believe it would be best for you to talk with your doctor about the different options and what may or may not be good for you.

I hope you have a great trip! :)

Another one here to tell you to take it definately while on board the ship-- We had two nights where trying to get the fork to our mouth during dinner was TOUGH due to rough water... but on the other side of it... during excursions we were always in protected waters and never had any problems!

Also the ship will have wonderful medical facilities --if you don't feel well visit them and they can give you something!

I can relate. I'm fine on cruise ships (for the most part) but "chumming" on small fishing boats despite Bonine (meclizine), Transderm Scop (the "patch"), AND a Rx ReliefBand electrical stimulant wristband. I want to go out on Kenai Fjords "northwestern" tour (of course their longest and best trip of course) on a 150 pax catamaran and am worried sick that I'll be sick! :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm thinking of "eating" the cost - that is, booking the trip with hopes that it'll be a calm day at sea and, if it's not, see if I can negotiate with the company to just go on their "inside the bay" cruise (which is much cheaper) without them having to refund me any money. It's either that or just book the bay cruise and come home to NJ wondering and regretting what I missed! ah, it's so hard.

I agree with others that said it's worth a co-pay to talk with your GP about your options.

Tell you the truth ,if you get sick ,LOOK OUT. I was on the Sun Princess 6/10-6/17. The seas were so rough that poeple were green all over the ship.

Our steward told us & I believe it, I talked to others on ship 7 out of 10 were sick. I took Meclazine,didn't help. Even people who had the patch were sick.

Our steward also told us that the trip from Seattle to Kechikan has been like this every time out this year.

keep in mind that the only FDA approved "drug" for seasickness (after it begins) is the Relief band and the "shot" the ship's doc administers. Meclizine (aka Bonine), Dramamine, and the Transderm Patch only work if adminstered BEFORE getting sick (like take it before you step foot on the ship).

Two akaskan cruises and I have never had a problem. Because you are cruising inside the islands, it tends not to be as rough as open sea. That being said, the most motion sickness I ever experienced was on an excursion during one of my alaskan cruises. We had a helicopter pilot that delighted in turning the helicopter sideways in an instant so we culd all get a better view of som animal. Two of those manuevers in less than 60 seconds and I was green the rest of the night.

I don't know if mythbusters has a web site. But I saw an episode on the discovery channel where they tested the standard sea sickness cures/preventions as well as ginger. And the ginger definitely worked. My recommendation is to get some ginger pills and also some hard ginger candy o suck on. Add to that ginger ale with the bubbles for your tummy and you are good to go!

I swear by the patch! ...The only side effect I had ( and most everybody I talked to had the same one) was my eyesight being blurry. It was my close up vision. It felt like my eyes were always dilated but not quite as bad as when the eye Dr. puts the drops in. You could still read but it was a little difficult to see.

anyone using the patch should DEFINITELY WASH THEIR HANDS IMMEDIATELY after applying it. If you touch your eyes, you will dilate (maybe even over) dilate your eyes. I'm not saying that's what happened in this case as it is a normal side effect anyway, but please, don't touch your eyes after you put on the patch until you've washed them good in hot,soapy water (and rinsed them as well of course).

Temporary blurring of vision and dilation (widening) of the pupils may occur, especially if the drug is on your hands and comes in contact with the eyes. This information and more located @ http://www.transdermscop.com/information.htm#precautions

btw, forgot to mention in a previous post, since I'm always chumming on fishing boats, I pack pretzels. They absorb some of the acid in the stomach (I think). Seems the only thing that really helps is if I continuously EAT! NOT a good thing at all LOL but it does help. Don't leave home without your green apples and some pretzels! (I haven't tried the apples yet but will put that on my laundry list of things to do to keep seasickness at bay.) My latest thought is to ask the dr. if I can get "the shot" BEFORE I get sick (right before I step on that excursion boat). I'll gladly pay an out-of-network co-pay to feel decent for that trip!

as a "chummer", I think this is worth one more post. I found it on a web site:

The best treatment for motion sickness is preventing it in the first place, which is why taking your medication ahead of time is so important. Here are some other things you can do that might help make future trips go smoothly:

* Sit facing forward and in a slightly reclined position—avoid backward-facing seats

* Keep your head and body as still as possible (I sometimes get a "clue" that it's coming on by getting a headache. When this happens I go to my cabin and take a nap and that makes it subside.)

* Choose a seat where motion is felt the least—such as the front passenger seat of a car, over the wings in an airplane, and on a ship, the forward or middle cabin, or upper deck

* Keep your eyes on the horizon or another distant, unmoving object

* Do not read!

* Get fresh air by opening a window or vent, or on a ship, going to the top deck (this does help some for me but doesn't make it go away)

* Avoid alcohol and tobacco, which can contribute to nausea

* Eat small amounts of low-fat, starchy foods, and avoid fatty, strong-smelling, or strong-tasting foods (those pretzels!)

* During short plane trips, especially on small airplanes, don’t eat or drink

one of the most important things to keep in mind is that not all "remedies" work for all people all the time - talk to your doctor!

I just got back from the Zaandam and I was worried about motion sickness because I am very prone to it. I started the Bonine ahead of time and took it faithfully. I started out with one and if things began to get rocky, I took another one (the box says one or two). I found out from my brother-on-law (doctor) that Bonine is what is used for vertigo in the prescription strength. That made sense that it seemed to help so much. We had one day that people all over the ship were having a hard time. I did fine the whole time. I did try to stay where I could see the horizon. By the way, I went out with Captain Larry and didn't have any trouble at all. I went all over the ship and took all kinds of pictures. I was very worried before we went because I have been very sick in the past on small boats. Also, I never had any side effects, no drowsiness at all. Good luck with your trip.:)

* Sit facing forward and in a slightly reclined position—avoid backward-facing seats

* Avoid alcohol and tobacco, which can contribute to nausea

* Eat small amounts of low-fat, starchy foods, and avoid fatty, strong-smelling, or strong-tasting foods (those pretzels!)

* During short plane trips, especially on small airplanes, don’t eat or drink

wow -

* My cabin faces aft!

* I'm going to go on a cruise and not drink???

* I'm going to go on a cruise and not eat???????

lol

Seriously, thank you, these are terrific suggestions. I guess I'll assemble an arsenal of prescription and otc remedies (and of course pretzels)!

wow -

* My cabin faces aft!

* I'm going to go on a cruise and not drink???

* I'm going to go on a cruise and not eat???????

lol

Seriously, thank you, these are terrific suggestions. I guess I'll assemble an arsenal of prescription and otc remedies (and of course pretzels)!

1) you mean it's in the aft of the ship - not that it faces aft. ... maybe the balcony faces aft. You can face whatever way you want once in your cabin. :D seriously, if I can't get a cabin midship, then I ask for aft as it's got more weight in it so it doesn't "dolphin" as much as being in the bow!

2) drink in port. :cool:

3) eat... sure - there's lots of suggestions... green apples, pretzels, ginger candy, ginger ale, ginger root, meclizine, etc. :D (oh forgot to mention, when you can't get pretzels, breadsticks help just don't put butter on them) BREADSTICKS AND PRETZELS!

ask to sit in the front of the float plane (let them know you get motion sickness). typically the planes have a little vent in the front that pull in air from the outside. Don't dress too warm in the plane - it almost did me in last year. I had too many layers on and couldn't get them off and the cabin was warm and I wasn't feeling well from not enough air. I wished I hadn't worn all those layers - If I had just laid them across my lap, it would've been a better idea.

I think you'll be fine on the ship, just pick and choose your excursions carefully and be willing to either get sick or lose your payment.

I've made my decision. I'm going to book the NINE - OMG - HOURS on the Northwestern tour by Kenai Fjords in Seward. I'll "pick and choose" that morning and if the weather's iffy, beg and plead with the tour operator to transfer me (and DH) to their cheaper, shorter, calmer bay tour with no need to refund us the difference! And, I'll pray for calm seas so I can make the nine hour trip w/o "chumming.".... now if they only have slots still open for the day I want, I'll be all set!

Good luck and enjoy. (I'd never say, "It's all in your head" as folks say to me because it's not!)

Am in need of ginger pills or ginger candy--never heard of either but want to get some--where do I get these?? Are they over the counter and where in the drug store aisles?? Will use the Patch and then some of these others just in case--anyone have luck with the wrist bands that use pressure on the wrist???

Am in need of ginger pills or ginger candy--never heard of either but want to get some--where do I get these?? Are they over the counter and where in the drug store aisles?? Will use the Patch and then some of these others just in case--anyone have luck with the wrist bands that use pressure on the wrist???

You can get ginger pills at Walmart where they have all their over the counter health pills--like Vitamin C etc. I am sure you could also get it at a health store too...not sure if Target has them--but I would think they should...they ARE over the counter

I got both the candies and the pills at the health food store. If you don't find the candies at your health food store, here is a web site.

http://www.scandinavianspice.com/Catalog.asp?catgroup=Ginger+Crystallized&catsect=Dried+Fruit&source=overture

This crystalized ginger is what I gave my nieces and nephews on our last cruise. You could also try Altoids - they now make a ginger covered in chocolate. (They didn't have them when we went on our cruise at the start of 2006) You just need to suck on them, so I'm sure the chocolate would be gone quickly and then you are left with the ginger candy to suck on.

As long as the bracelets aren't expensive, they can't hurt. Sometimes it is a matter of mind of matter, and if the bracelets help your mind overcome the matter of seasickness, then they are good.

Good luck!

I swear by the patch! It will work on all of the above for me. You can call your doctor and tell him what you are doing and he will call in a prescription for you to the pharmacy. It is a little, round, "band-aid" looking thing and you stick it on behind your ear a couple of hours before you get on the plane, ship etc... You leave it on for 3 days. You can bathe and it won't come off. After 3 days, you take that one off and put another one behind the other ear and so on depending on how many days you are gone. You don't have to worry about taking meds that will make you sleepy or making sure you take them every 4-6 hours. I also had some alcoholic drinks with the patch that you are not suppose to do with the oral meds. The only side effect I had ( and most everybody I talked to had the same one) was my eyesight being blurry. It was my close up vision. It felt like my eyes were always dilated but not quite as bad as when the eye Dr. puts the drops in. You could still read but it was a little difficult to see. Make sense?:cool:

Hope this helped

That is what happened to me. I could not even read my menu when out to eat. I had nothing to drink at the time. I read it could cause blurred vision even by it self. I took it off as it was bothering me I could not even read. What happened hours later?? I got sick and on my B-day too.:mad:

I do think the patch works the best for me but I just do not like not seeing. But I would rather not see well then feel seasick. Heck I get sick on a swing set!!

anyone have luck with the wrist bands that use pressure on the wrist???

I tried these when I had morning sickness so bad when I was pregnant. Did not help me at all. I have heard that it does help some people. I just think I get sick very easy so not much helps me.

Archived