Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

My family and I just returned from a short 4 day cruise. We informed our waiter that we would not be attending formal night as we decided to not pack formal clothes for this cruise. We do on our 7 days cruises. The waiter and then head waiter both tried to convince us to attend the formal night wearing what we wanted as it was our vacation. So if you want the rules followed the entire dining home staff has to be willing to enforce the rule. It is not going to happen. My family dresses appropriately when we dine in the dining room - not by choice but because it is recommended and I am afraid that if I did not dress appropriately and someone said something to me an augument were occur. As for statements that cruising is cheap - it depends on the number of cruisers and the type of suite you book. I pay between $5000 - $8000 for a seven day cruise and that is not cheap. I have done all inclusive resorts cheaper. And that amount does not include airfare which adds another 1600 - 2000. As others have stated most ships have at least 2 dining rooms - designate one for formal and one for casual. I think you would quickly see how many individualsd that dress formally would no longer do it as they had an opportunity to experience the same food without dressing up. Formal wear is going the route of the dinasours and soon will be dead anyway.

I have been hearing that alot lately.......

We also had friends in the same situation. Came back late from port (not on formal night) and stopped by the dining room to let them know they would not be there that night. It was too late for them to change out of their shorts.....Long story short...Maitre d' assured them to come on in and sit down for dinner.....

Seems some of those people that get looked down upon had no intentions of dressing down;)

I'm curious about this because I thought I read it in your review as well. We absolutely had lobster upstairs on formal night. On SJ night, it was filet mignon which is why we rushed back onboard for the kids to get their "good steak".

BTW, I'm a rule follower. I voted absolutely enforce and please also don't allow jeans/shorts on the other nights either.

Maybe I'm wrong there ... maybe that was the day I had too many Miami Vices ... LOL! Regardless ... filet mignon was on a port day and that wasn't a formal night. I just didn't want them to make the assumption that filet mignon and lobster is only on formal nights and miss out. Thanks!!!!! :D

It will become a lot more of an issue over time also..

Sad isn't it...that proper adherance to dress codes and manners is not taught at home the way my generation was - Our whole society has gone downhill in almost all areas and consider where it leads thru every generation.

Consider the consequences if this attitude of 'do your own thing no matter what' does continue - soon there will be no rules or regulations followed for anything - there will simply be chaos..

I mean, if u believe in it and feel like going nude to dinner - why not - rules are meant to be broken correct - especially when folks won't say or do anything about it..like complain to the cruiseline?? When u see people improperly dressed - do u?

If something is done often enough by enough people it becomes the norm and acceptable...and..indicative of a declining civilization - think it fits perhaps?

A trifle dramatic - yes - but then again perhaps not!!

You're absolutely right........ People and what's accepted in society is changing. Not too long ago it was frowned upon for a person not to be dressed in their Sunday best for air travel. How long has it been since ties and jackets were the bill of fare at church? Even family dinners (which were every night of the week) use to be dress "appropriate". We are all changing attitudes and formalities. I'm not saying it's for the better, just a fact of life. I thought it was beautiful to see women walking down the street at the turn of the century in large hats and 20 lbs. of clothing. Times a changing and Carnival recognizes that by being lax in enforcing their "required" rule.

I don't want to see sloppy dress in the dining room on "formal" night, just appropriate to the times. I know the answer will be, "IT'S THEIR RULE. EAT ELSEWHERE IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEIR RULE." I will continue to eat in the dining room on formal night, nicely dressed with out a a nuse (tie) around my neck.

Change with the times. Carnival has, even if they don't want to put it in writing.

We were on the May 25 Carnival Freedom Mediterranean cruise of 12 days. As first time cruisers we had no idea of expectations, so we had formal clothing for the 2 formal dinners. They were special evenings with special menus and entertainment, and were well worth our effort. The staff were dressed appropriately. Few attended in other than formal clothing. There were few empty tables. On a shorter cruise, I don't know......

I too think it's a failure of the parents, regardless of the generation. After all we are always a reflection on our parents and their teachings. Sadly, many of those that are so selfish as to ignore the expected dress standards are also teaching their children that it's OK to pick and choose what rules apply to them. Creating a constant spiral down in social standards.

JPG. Are you saying those that respect the dress standards are normally late to dinner? I dress appropriately and am quite anxious to get to dinner.

No. What I meant was that I don't care how people dress. What does annoy me are the people who are late, thereby inconveniencing others.

You know Mike. I honestly have never had one of those dreams. Have had the flying ones. And the ones where you fall off something and wake yourself up. Even had one where a large plane crashed into my neighborhood (don't know what that one meant), but never the nekkid one.

Maybe I'm just odd. :D

A dress code is not made to be enforced. It is there so that no one will be embarrassed by overdressing or under dressing. So if you couldn't care less what others are wearing, dress to suit yourself.

There are some dress restrictions like no shorts or bathing suits in the dining room for dinner. Those are not dress codes, they are restrictions.

Some posters here, usually newbies, really do wish to know what is acceptable to wear, when and where. We all do, if we are going to a social setting, whether on a cruise or at a local affair. A suggested list of items paints the picture of what most people are going to wear. Once you know, it really comes down to how YOU wish to conform to what everyone else will be wearing.

I think this is the smartest post here, including my previous one.

I always have dressed "up" on formal night and my whole family did also. On our next cruise DD,FSIL, and I will be dressed up. We enjoy it. We take pictures and I marvel at how the camera always adds 75 lbs. (to me only:) ).

The difference will be that DH will be wearing whatever is comfortable to him. His outfit will be clean, smart, and appropriate for dining in public. He will not wear shorts, a ripped tee, or P.J.'s. He may be in a ball cap, comfortable shoes, elastic waist golf pants and a loose polo.

His attire can not possibly ruin anyone else's enjoyment of dinner.

My family has the absolute right to dine together in the main dining room on formal night even if DH is not dressed in a suit or tux.

He will not feel out of place, we will not be embarrassed, and if anyone else looks at his ball cap and has to flee the dining room in horror I feel sorry for them, because they will be the ones missing out not us.:p

A dress code is not made to be enforced. It is there so that no one will be embarrassed by overdressing or under dressing. So if you couldn't care less what others are wearing, dress to suit yourself.

There are some dress restrictions like no shorts or bathing suits in the dining room for dinner. Those are not dress codes, they are restrictions.

Some posters here, usually newbies, really do wish to know what is acceptable to wear, when and where. We all do, if we are going to a social setting, whether on a cruise or at a local affair. A suggested list of items paints the picture of what most people are going to wear. Once you know, it really comes down to how YOU wish to conform to what everyone else will be wearing.

Thanx for saying what I've been saying for awhile now. But violating the dress code is still rude. ALL knew in advance what would be expected of them.

Dan

Just my 2¢

I know people will disagree with me and this is OK. Just don’t flame me for my opinion.:rolleyes:

Someone asked and I’ll give mine.

On our first two cruises my DW and I did bring dress or formal attire. But for the past four we have decided that our vacation is to relax. Dump our worries, clear our heads and de-stress.:(

So we no pack light. Or as light as we can.;)

I will take one or two dress pants. And a few Hawaiian type shirts because I like them.

As I said we go on vacation to relax and not too have people tell us what we HAVE to do. We get enough of that the rest of the year. We haven’t gotten dressed up to eat on a cruise for three or four years now. Why should we just to eat than go an dress down to enjoy other activities of the evening. I will also admit that I HAVE worn Hawaiian shirts and nice shorts to diner. I will NOT wear tank or t-shirts to dinner.

It’s my vacation. I want to enjoy it. If I wanted to dress for diner all the time I would sail HAL or one of the other known for that cruises.

Just my 2¢

Kevin

If people would mind there own buisness and just pay attention to the ones that are with you, the ones you love, then there wouldn't be any problem. It's a freakin' cruise, not a State Dinner.

agree 100%

If you want a fine dining experiance, don't force the waiters to entertain us with a 3rd class monkey show. Tell me which 3 Star michelin restaurant you would find that in??

I don't see how singing "Summer Wind" and other Sinatra hits during coffee and dessert is inconsistant with a formal affair :confused:

I don't see how singing Summer Wind and other Sinatra hits during coffee and dessert is inconsistant with a formal affair :confused:

I have seen the waiters jump up on the tables and dance... that is NOT found in any 5 star restaurant I have EVER been to... maybe a piano singer yes.. not a conga line... sorry, big difference there.

CTC is right H. People don't dress formal for weddings anymore. No one ever holds a black tie dinner any longer. There are never any celebrities in tuxes when they walk the red carpet on Emmy night. And when George W. hosts a dinner at the White House, he's always in his jeans and golf shirt.

:cool:

I know Mike..I'm SO 'old school' shame on me, I haven't got a clue. ;)

I don't see how singing "Summer Wind" and other Sinatra hits during coffee and dessert is inconsistant with a formal affair :confused:

Done by untrained singers and accompanied by the Conga Line and a poor sound system.... EXTREMELY INCONSISTENT!!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh MYYYYYYYY :eek::D

So is that what you wear on formal night H ???

buttah :p

no, seriosuly, I have full length dresses because I'm old school. ;) My Dh actually bought a tux last year.

We won't be packing them on the next cruise because that is on NCL BUT when we get on the Legend in March, we'll have them in the garment bag.

If we want to cruise casual we'll go freestyle. When we cruise Carnival we are happy to dress as requested.

Archived