what to do, what to do???

cruiseorbust

We are looking at cruising over the holidays...the prices are really high right now, and some ship have limited availability (only two in a cabin). We have not cruised with Celebrity since 2004...nothing but RCI. We are in our 50's with young men 18 and 24. We would like some input please....which one would you pick?

1. Galaxy 13 nights with air to San Juan (St. Thomas,Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Kitts, Tortola, and sea days)

2. Constellation 10 nights from Ft. Lauderdale (San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, and sea days)

3. Brilliance 12 nights from Miami (Key West, Grand Cayman, Panama Canal cruising, Panama, Colombia, Aruba, Curacao, and sea days)

Some info.....

we live in FL so we can drive to the Constellation and Brilliance; we would have to fly to San Juan. We have been on the Galaxy before, but not to Bonaire or Tortola. We have not been on the Constellation, but have been to all those ports. We have not been on the Brilliance and have not been to Panama, or Aruba. We have the same type cabins on all ships...that being said The constellation is the cheapest, the Galaxy with airfare is $1500 more, and the Brilliance is $1800 more than the Constellation.

I always pick cruises based on destinations, and I like the Brilliance itinerary the best. I think the Panama canal is fascinating, and it is the only cruise that gets away from going to just Caribbean islands (not that they're not great....). It sounds the most interesting, but it really does depend on what you like to do. We went to the Panama Canal and found it to be a wonderful, and very interesting part of the cruise. Good luck on your decision!!:p

I have no real input for you other than to say the my wife and I will be on the Constellation (Dec 27th? sailing).

It will be our 18th wedding anniversary on New Years Eve and this will be our first Celebrity cruise and the first without our boys (12 & 14).

We've vacationed in St. Thomas and have loved it. We're excited to be there on NYE day.

I have no real input for you other than to say the my wife and I will be on the Constellation (Dec 27th? sailing).

It will be our 18th wedding anniversary on New Years Eve and this will be our first Celebrity cruise and the first without our boys (12 & 14).

We've vacationed in St. Thomas and have loved it. We're excited to be there on NYE day.

Hi Mark from Plano, I'm Vicki from Plano....... You're the 5th person in 2 days that I've run across from Plano. Maybe we're all trying to escape??????

Cruiseorbust- We love the Constellation. Beautiful ship, Fantastic service, and terrific food.

I think I would take the Galaxy. That time of year it could be chilly for the sea days leaving and coming back to port in Florida. We like to get off the plane and feel the warmth on our faces. Some friends of ours took a cruise in Feb. out of Florida and had to wear sweatshirts at first. If you spend those sea days by the pool, the cool weather could eat up 2 of them at least.

Well ~ we've been to all the islands listed and there isn't a port that we don't like...altho I'd give the edge to the eastern Caribbean islands overall.

We did the exact same Brilliance itinerary you're looking at and loved it. In fact, it was one of our best cruises ever, but as much for the ship and her crew as the itinerary (we had already done a canal full transit some years ago). We will be disembarking Brilliance (transatlantic) on December 15 so I'm guessing you would be boarding as we disembark.

We have not been on either Galaxy nor Constellation but we have sailed Mercury, Summit and Millennium (and we're booked on Constellation next spring). That said, we enjoy all the ships you've selected a great deal and all are at the top of our "favorites" list. (Not much help, am I?).

All that being said, since this is a holiday sailing, I'd personally lean towards Constellation for the price. I just can't justify the extra costs over the holidays. You can do a lot with the $1,500 - $1,800 you'd save. Good luck with your decision!

Cruiseorbust:

I am partial to Galaxy. Maybe it's because we are booked on this December 22nd Southern Cirbbean Holiday sailing. We would love to have you join us.

Thanks...we appreciate the invite! I love the Galaxy, as well as many other Celebrity ships! We have not traveled with Celebrity in awhile. I just hate the thoughts of having to do the whole airport scene when we live so close to all the other ports in Florida. Are you flying in the day of the cruise? How about after the cruise...same day back out? The itinerary looks interesting, and the price not bad. The costs of air tickets has gone up since we first looked into this cruise....therefore making it not the best of deals.

Yes we are flying in the day of the cruise. We have an early flight thru Charlotte that surpose to get us to San Juan just after 12 noon. The ship departs at 10 pm. We have done the San Juan thing on other occasions. It is also a stop on our March 2009 Solstice cruise. Air fare has come down for us, but the cruise price went up $300pp since we booked. Decisions, decisions, decisions

Love the Connie! We have been on her twice and she is outstanding. The last time was on a similar itinerary in Feb 07 and it was terrific. Alll the islands can't be beat. I loved this itinerary because it was touching on so many interesting places.

Barbados was our favourite hands down. We took the local bus and went to Crane Beach. It is the most breathtaking beach I have been too! It was Valentine's Day and I bought my DH a beaded necklace from the coolest local vendor (No problem Mon) that I approached. He still wears it every day. After the beach we went to a roadside shack (immaculate) and had the most amazing flying fish sandwich and gota chance to talk to the local folks a bit. Took the bus back but we hated to go :)

St Lucia was our next favourite. We did the most amazing tour with COSOL who I found on the port boards. Our driver was his brother Yellowbird and he truely shared his island with us - the sights, sounds and flavours. We like to say we ate our way thrugh St. Lucia :). The snorkeling was terrific too.

St Maartin was great as usual. We went to Orient Beach for the first time and I honestly must say, it was not at all what I expected. It was too crowded and small for my taste but then I am used to Rhode Island and Cape Cod beaches which are the best in the continental US (IMHO). On the plus side, the strolling 'entertainment' was everything it was cracked up to be :D . Afterwards we went shopping downtown and had the strongest Margarita of our trip .... yummy and refreshing.

St Thomas we hopped over to St John Via the Red Hook ferry and went to Cinnamon Bay. We had been to Trunk Bay several times and wanted to check it our. You won't be disappointed with either beach. They are wonderful. On the way back we took the local bus from the ferry to the ship and had a wonderful chat with some local folks about their island. A great way to explore.

Boy am I being wordy. To be brief on San Juan, we have been there several times and the last time we stayed on the ship and had a wonderful time enjoying all its amenities.

As far as the Brilliance goes, you have great taste .... we are scheduled on that cruise Feb 08 :D . I think it also sounds like a great choice!

Ok, I have posted this on RCI and Celebrity boards....so far the Brilliance and Constellation are way out in the lead. We usually don't have so much trouble deciding. I will share your thoughts with my family for hopefully a quick decision. Currently we have money out there on all three...ugh

Cruiseorbust ~ thanks for the warm wishes. I know we are going to have a fantastic cruise on Brilliance.

Picking by ship - it would be a close call between Connie and Brilliance for us. Our choice would probably go to Connie since we've been on Brilliance twice.

Picking by intinerary - it would be Galaxy or Connie.

Since Connie figures into both for us, I'd pick Connie....but that's not a reason for you to do so....

Go with your gut! And get the rest of your deposit money back!!!! :)

We like Constellation very much but we did a similar itin on Brilliance & the mini Panama Canal experience is exceptional esp on that ship--Your family might enjoy that-- only drawback is that in any school vacation there will be lots of little ones--on Brilliance we sailed from Miami & had many unruly, unsupervised kiddies on board...still was a great trip!

We are looking at cruising over the holidays...the prices are really high right now, and some ship have limited availability (only two in a cabin). We have not cruised with Celebrity since 2004...nothing but RCI. We are in our 50's with young men 18 and 24. We would like some input please....which one would you pick?

1. Galaxy 13 nights with air to San Juan (St. Thomas,Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Kitts, Tortola, and sea days)

2. Constellation 10 nights from Ft. Lauderdale (San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, and sea days)

3. Brilliance 12 nights from Miami (Key West, Grand Cayman, Panama Canal cruising, Panama, Colombia, Aruba, Curacao, and sea days)

Some info.....

we live in FL so we can drive to the Constellation and Brilliance; we would have to fly to San Juan. We have been on the Galaxy before, but not to Bonaire or Tortola. We have not been on the Constellation, but have been to all those ports. We have not been on the Brilliance and have not been to Panama, or Aruba. We have the same type cabins on all ships...that being said The constellation is the cheapest, the Galaxy with airfare is $1500 more, and the Brilliance is $1800 more than the Constellation.

sounds like Brilliance would be the way to go. You have not been on the ship before OR to the ports. Also the Brilliance Is in the best class of the Royal Caribbean line. ;)

Archived