Just off the Spirit 6/20/2007 Alaska

Hasletlady

Flew into Anchorage two days early, rented a car and spent two nights at Trapper Creek and the Gatecreek Cabins. Very nice. Did the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali. Took about seven hours. Went to the park general store and bought deli sandwiches and chips to eat on the bus. You get a little box lunch on the bus but the deli sandwich was well worth the extra money if you are really hungry, or take extra snacks with you on the bus. Saw several grizzlies, caribou, Dall sheep, moose, porcupine, and at one of the restroom breaks another tour said they saw wolves right at the beginning of the tour, close to the visitors center. The weather for our entire 10 days in Alaska was close to perfect. We took the Alaskan Leopard Comedy Tour Transfer from Anchorage to Whittier. It was a nice tour, stops at a small animal reserve that has great hot dogs for sale and then at the Portage Glacier where you get a free piece of pie and drink. Never rained on us at all. On the coldest day all we needed was a light wind resistant jacket except for the Juneau Whale Watching with Harv and Marv. I spent the tour inside the enclosure out of the wind and had my gloves on. The other five stood outside to take pictures and would come in to get warm. Got some really good pictures. Whales, sea lions and eagles. It clouded up on us several times but never rained. Harv and Marv's was one of the highlights of the cruise. The captains are really Pete and Jay and Jay's wife Eileen kayaked out to the boat and brought us fresh baked cookies that hit the spot for sure. It was a great excursion. Eileen's dad Sandy drives the van and dropped us off at Mendenhall Glacier and then picked us back up and took us back to the pier. We had a burger at The Hanger right down the pier where we could sit and watch the floatplanes take off and land. We shopped in Sitka, in Skagway we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake and to Whitehorse. Nice sunny day and the scenery was well worth the trip. In Ketchikan we saw the Lumberjack show, pretty entertaining, I think all the kids would enjoy it alot. The CD had told us not to miss going to Creek Street. Glad we found it. One saleslady in one of the many shops gave us a little history lesson concerning Creek Street. Quite interesting for sure.

The ship was great, very clean. We were on Panarama Deck 8145 starboard with an extended balcony. Brother and SIL next door. Took advice from these boards, thanks Wennfred, and asked the purser to be on the list to open the partition and they did the next day. Was a little windy with it open but most of the time it was very nice. DH sit out on the balcony quite alot watching for whales. Saw several in fact right from the balcony. Miguel was our steward, not seen much but everything in our cabin was perfect. Had late seating for dinner, our waiters Marco and Osman were true gentlemen and very nice. Always polite and Osman made time to talk with us because late dinner was not full on this cruise. We heard everyone requested early dinner for some reason so we were switched to late. That was ok with us. This cruise was very different from our first Western Caribbean cruise. It was more laid back, I actually had a chance to take an afternoon nap a few days and still had plenty of time to get ready for dinner and sneak up for ice cream.;)

I thought the shows on this cruise were very good. The first formal night show included different broadway shows and I really enjoyed it. We saw the magician who was surprisingly funny and two regular comedy acts that actually made us laugh! And not even the adult acts. The CD, Shawn Bussey was very good but we did not see her around the ship talking to guests very often. Our first cruise we saw the CD everywhere.

Our only complaint was being right under the Lido deck. At 7 am sharp you would hear the deck chairs being dragged right over us. And of course no carpet up there so anyone running or walking heavy we could hear loud and clear. I cannot say it bothered us a whole lot. Certainly didn't interfere with those naps, and at night it was too cool up there to be very busy. My SIL and I tried the spa for the first time. The Hot Stone message:p oh boy! is all I can say. You gotta try it.

Embarkation was a breeze but debarkation in Vancouver, we had a late flight so we were last off but we just relaxed and waited. Went right out to a bus and off to the airport. The airport is where it got tiring. Had to wait in line to get luggage. Hint: grab a luggage cart! then you take your luggage thru the ticket counter and then thru customs, long line, and then right before you hit security they take your luggage and you go thru security and try to hustle down to your gate to maybe catch a little lunch before you board. Was it worth the hassle. Of course, small price to pay for a great cruise.

Sorry if this is too long....if you have any questions I will try and keep it short and sweet.

Spirit 06/2007

Conquest 03/2006

We to have rented a car in Skagway and would also like to get to Whitehorse.

Most of the people talk about going to Emerald Lake and coming back. How much further was Whitehorse and was it worth going there.

Bob

DH says he thinks it was about 60 miles to Emerald Lake and another 80/90 to Whitehorse, just a guess though. He wanted to go to Whitehorse because he is thinking about riding his motocycle to Alaska and is trying to map his route. There wasn't really anything there to go for. The Avis guy suggested going there for lunch. I would suggest turning around at Emerald Lake, nothing any prettier past there.

Sandy at Harv and Marv's was going there for a week to play golf. No Golf in Juneau.

Thanks for the information on Whithorse. I guess we will have to make a decision on whether to go there or not. On our trip Skagway is a long stop for us. We arrive at 5:30 am and don't leave till 8:00 pm.

Bob

We to have rented a car in Skagway and would also like to get to Whitehorse.

Most of the people talk about going to Emerald Lake and coming back. How much further was Whitehorse and was it worth going there.

Bob

Emerald Lake/Skagway is about 75 miles. It is recommended that you allow 4-5 hours for this portion. Whitehorse another 35 miles. But the scenery significantly drops off those miles and it's a pretty dull drive. Be certain you have a reason to go to Whitehorse. I've gone several times for the Harley Shop. :) And a few attractions.

Archived