One More Passport Update

harrynterry

June 15 I sent my husband's and my passport renewals in overnight, expedited and included overnight return envelopes for both. About $325.00 later I checked status daily. June 20 mine showed up as routine processing requested. I began my email campaign, first notifying them I requested expedited and requesting status on my husband's. Mine changed to expedited and his still didn't show up. I continued e-mailing and finally got the tracking number on his. I stayed on them with every other day e-mails and I think it paid off. His arrived 6/27, 12 days after shipping, (never showing on the website) mine arrived today, 13 days after shipping. I do think bugging them helped.

Thanks for the update on expedited turnaround time.

When are you leaving? And where are you going?!

Have safe and happy travels.

We are on CB 10/7-10/21 Doing B2B Eastern & Western. I had just gotten worried about the passport ordeal when it was taking so long. I just feel much better having it done! Can't wait to go, we need a vacation!!

:eek: Since you are traveling to the Caribbean by sea, a passport is not required this year. This is one of the reasons passports are being delayed. Even though you paid extra, your request for expedited service and numerous emails took staff time away from issuing passports to those who actually require one for their travel. When you multiply this type of request by the thousands of people who are requesting passports when not actually required, the impact on the Passport Agency is profound. The change in law did not factor in the high number of people requesting passports when not needed. That is why different time frames for passport requirements were written into the law to begin with.

Anyone that has traveled recently knows that you will move along MUCH quicker if you have a passport even if it isnt yet legally necessary in some cases. In this day & age I'm not going anywhere internationally without one.

I see your point. Maybe every American citizen should immediately apply for a passport in the event they may need one at some time. That would definitely help the situation. LOL

My point is that by now, everyone knows that the Passport Agency is overwhelmed with requests. At this time, we can help this situation by not reqesting passports, especially expedited passports, and sending numerous emails when a passport is not required for current vacation plans.

Everyone has known that a passport was going to be needed. Both governments keep changing the rules and times because most people "waited" until the "last" minute,

Our passports come up for renewal next yr, but i'm seriously thinking about starting early.

Also the poster might find a "good" deal on a cruise and may need a passport for it. It's always much easier to have one than not.

I see your point. Maybe every American citizen should immediately apply for a passport in the event they may need one at some time. That would definitely help the situation. LOL

My point is that by now, everyone knows that the Passport Agency is overwhelmed with requests. At this time, we can help this situation by not reqesting passports, especially expedited passports, and sending numerous emails when a passport is not required for current vacation plans.

We can agree to disagree. Not every American citizen travels internationally or is planning to travel internationally in the near future. These are the people that could apply at a later date. Asking all others to endure delays and longer waits to return to the US because they didnt technically "need" a passport isnt a realistic expectation, especially when having one will absolutely expedite getting you back into the US. Again, I say in this day and age travelling internationally without a passport is simply not a good idea. The world is a different place than it was before 9-11.

I'm glad I got a new passport last fall before our Christmas cruise. Although we did not need them then and a certified birth certificate would have worked, having it made going through the immigration check quicker.

Peace of mind is good. I'm not sure I would have spent the extra to expedite them for a cruise that's not until October--unless you're the type who might fly somewhere spur of the moment.

June 15 I sent my husband's and my passport renewals in overnight, expedited and included overnight return envelopes for both. About $325.00 later I checked status daily. June 20 mine showed up as routine processing requested. I began my email campaign, first notifying them I requested expedited and requesting status on my husband's. Mine changed to expedited and his still didn't show up. I continued e-mailing and finally got the tracking number on his. I stayed on them with every other day e-mails and I think it paid off. His arrived 6/27, 12 days after shipping, (never showing on the website) mine arrived today, 13 days after shipping. I do think bugging them helped.

Can you tell me exactly what e-mail address you used? I've been on their site (many, many, many times), tracking our 3 passports which we applied for OVER 15 WEEKS ago. I have tracking numbers, but they've been there for probably the last 10 weeks and there is still no indication that they will be sending the passports.

We're traveling in August, so no one needs to tell me that we don't really "need" the passports. The bottom line is, we gave ourselves plenty of time, sent them their $ (they cashed our checks a long time ago), sent them our original birth certificates, and I want my passports!!! I'm not above starting a daily e-mail campaign. This entire passport situation is really an embarrassment to the agency. I'm pretty sure that if I did my job as poorly as they are doing theirs, I'd be fired pretty quickly.

Again, would you let me know the exact e-mail address you used? Thanks -

DD's boyfriend applied in April. Called to the passport office yesterday after going to the post office to get his proof of application (he leaves this Saturday for the Dominican Republic). The person at the passport office had his passport there and they would try to overnight to him by Friday (apparently a few things left to do with it still).

The person at the passport office told him to have his original birth certificate with him as well if he does not have his passport by Saturday. He had to go today to get another birth certificate since his was with the passport application. If you are getting close, get another birth certificate to take with you.

Archived