Packing Food and Beverages...

TexasMel

Does anyone pack food/drinks?

My main concerns are:

1. bottled water

2. food items for my ds who is a VERY picky eater. (The only thing on the ship I think he'll eat is pizza.)

Also, is there access to a microwave? He likes several food items that are in a can but need to be warmed.

Just think.....This might be a great opportunity for your picky eater to expand his culinary horizons...?:D If you don't take his favorite foods with you, he WILL eat whatever is available. It might be a blessing in disguise for you, mom! (No microwaves in cabins.)

Bottled water - what are your concerns? You can bring all the bottled water you can haul on board, if you'd like. However, the ship's water goes through some type system that's over my head, but it's very, very good water. I take one bottle of water on board and refill from the water dispenser at the Lido buffet area.

My main concerns are:

1. bottled water

2. food items for my ds who is a VERY picky eater. (The only thing on the ship I think he'll eat is pizza.)

Also, is there access to a microwave? He likes several food items that are in a can but need to be warmed.

You need not bring water. There are no microwaves. I would venture to say any meal from a can is not better or healthier than the choices he will have onboard. Let him see "that is what you have to choose from" Keep him away from the pizza (don't even let him know it is a choice) and he may come home liking more than you think. Your on a cruise! NO COOKING OR MICROWAVING! :D

My main concerns are:

1. bottled water

As others have said, no need to bring bottled water. The water on the ship is better filtered than anything you'll get on land.

No microwaves, no self-serve kitchens, and you can only buy things like chips and a few chocolate bars in the shops.

Depending on the ship you are on, there will be plenty of pizza. If the child doesn't get enough pizza for his fill then there are tons of other choices.

When I was a kid I would only eat hot dogs = no steak, no hamburger, no chicken, no ground beef = just hot dogs and iceberg lettuce. Because I was the third child my parents had pretty much given up by that point and let me eat whatever I wanted. I survived and thrived eating hot dogs and iceberg lettuce and bread. You son will find something he likes, and if he doesn't he surely won't allow himself to starve. Don't fret too much. I only learned to like other foods when I was so hungry that I finally tried them. Just a couple of months ago I finally tried green beans, and I like them!

Don't let your son's pickyness ruin your cruise. He'll be fine.

Hello TexasMel,

Nope I'm not going to lecture you on what your child should or should not be eating, or that the water on the ship is just as good as bottled, and I am certainly not going to lecture to you that anything your son will get from a can is NOT as good as what he can get from the ship. And last I would certainly NEVER EVER keep him from his favorite food, why in the world would any parent who claims to love their child not allow them to have choices? :rolleyes:

You can take snacks as we have for our kids in the past. I am thankful we did becasue they did not have their favorite snacks on board. As far as water, to me it has always had a odd taste to it so we take our own water, and soda because we drink diet 7-up and rootbeer.

My children are picky eaters and I never ever make them eat anything they don't want to, they are not over weight or under weight and are very healthy. We would take them to the dining room and told them they could order what ever they wanted to and just try it if they wanted to, if they did not like it I never made them eat it. It's a bad habit to make your kids eat something they don't want to however, my kids were not offered the junk until I knew they had enough of something healthy something other than sugar and I would not allow my kids to load up on sugar. My DR. told me if my child would only eat cold pizza for breakfast fine give it to him it is certainly better than having nothing in their tummy! When my DS was in the first grade he would not eat breakfast foods he just hated all of them and I worried sending him off to school with nothing to eat. The only thing he would eat were Little Debbie Snack cakes. So again the DR said they were better than nothing and probably just as healthy as most cereals kids love. He could not drink milk or fruit juices as he was lactose intolerant and hated fruit jucies so when he was in middle school moutain dew was his choice of drink and that is what he had every morning. He is a strapping 6'3 and 205 pd man that is very seldom ever sick!

We also take snacks for oursleves as they don't have our favorite snacks that we like on the ship either. :D

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your kids and their picky eating habits becasue they grow up way to fast to fret over something as silly as a picky eater! :p DD will eat more than DS but she is very picky so that she keeps her figure and her complexion clean.

Unless you're driving to the port, taking a week's worth of canned food is not advisable. You'll take up all your luggage weight allowance with cans of food. And, like others said, you will not have access to any place to warm the food, so unless he's able to try other things, it might have to be pizza. Of course, if this is your very first cruise, you might not realize the amount of food that's available on a ship. And, you can always talk to your head waiter the night before and he can prepare anything for your son to eat at dinner. As long as you give them some lead time, they can prepare just about anything for your son. Another idea is to contact the cruise line's Onboard Guest Services office and request a special menu for your son. They do this all the time for passengers who, for health reasons, need special diets. But as others have said, this is a really great chance to introduce your child to some new foods. He might find he really likes some different things.

In terms of water, many cruise lines charge for bottled water so some folks bring on bottled water and other beverages (sodas) for consumption in their cabins.

In terms of food, you can get almost anything immaginable on a cruise ship, and quite frankly that is one of the many attributes about cruising. So, I'm sure that there will be enough food to satisfy you sons appetite. I would imagine that just about anything in a can can be prepared by the cruise line.

And, no there are no microwaves available for the use of passengers.

Keith

As others have said' date=' no need to bring bottled water. The water on the ship is better filtered than anything you'll get on land.

No microwaves, no self-serve kitchens, and you can only buy things like chips and a few chocolate bars in the shops.

Depending on the ship you are on, there will be plenty of pizza. If the child doesn't get enough pizza for his fill then there are tons of other choices.

When I was a kid I would only eat hot dogs = no steak, no hamburger, no chicken, no ground beef = just hot dogs and iceberg lettuce. Because I was the third child my parents had pretty much given up by that point and let me eat whatever I wanted. I survived and thrived eating hot dogs and iceberg lettuce and bread. You son will find something he likes, and if he doesn't he surely won't allow himself to starve. Don't fret too much. I only learned to like other foods when I was so hungry that I finally tried them. Just a couple of months ago I finally tried green beans, and I like them!

Don't let your son's pickyness ruin your cruise. He'll be fine.[/quote']

This I found amusing. My daughter went through food phases in her early childhood, mostly chicken nuggets. But, we took her on one vacation (not a cruise) where there was a buffet that was affordable at the hotel. She ate only bacon and jello for several days....and apple juice. Thank goodness for Flintstone vitamins :)

I have to agree with the majority, don't take special food for your son, there is a childrens menu, including mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and other "typical" kiddie choices. There is a huge Windjammer buffet, pizza, hot dogs and hamburgers at the pool grill (although those choices closely resemble shoe leather). When he gets hungry enough, he'll eat. The staff in the dining room will make a big fuss for him, to try to find something to his liking.

We always take a few bottles of water with us for the cabin, but the water in the dining room is just fine to drink.

Hi TexasMel,

Here's the Children's Menu from the Carnival website (I think that's the line you're sailing:confused: ):

"Do You Offer A Children's Menu?spacer.gifCarnival's children's menu is presented in a small booklet with a packet of crayons.

Fresh Fruit Cocktail

Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich

Hamburger - Cheeseburger

Chicken Nuggets

Hot Dog

Pepperoni Pizza - Cheese Pizza

French Fries

From the Captain's Sweet Treasure Chest

Chocolate Brownies

Ice Creams

Banana Split

Jello with Custard

Assorted Cookies "

If I recall, there's also some kind of pasta offered each night. As a child I was "forced" to eat what was there, or nothing. Not a good idea, IMO :( .

Archived