As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

I appreciate the explanation. I know that some people like AYW and it is probably not going away but we will not book if AYW is all we can get. I realize that people have had to dine at 8pm in the past but not us since we have not booked a cruise when that was our only option. This is why we typically book so far in advance.

We were originally assigned first seating on the cruise in question but because someone in our party booked later they put us ALL into AYW. We did not know this until we were on board...not a good thing! We should have been told in advance.

We did find that dinner at the Lido was better than in the past and were told they are trying to make this an improved option since AYW is driving some people to this alternative. The only problem was that the Lido was very crowded and they were not prepared for this from what I could tell. Food seemed to be very late or arrived while you were still eating the first course. I'm sure they will get this working better in the future.

As I said in my original post, I am sure that part of our problem was being a party of 5. AYW might work well if you are a party of two or four. With 5, we were limited to tables of 6 or more which is probably why we had so much trouble getting a table since there are fewer options.

When all is said and done, we still like having the same table staff every night.

Doug

I

As I said in my original post, I am sure that part of our problem was being a party of 5. AYW might work well if you are a party of two or four. With 5, we were limited to tables of 6 or more which is probably why we had so much trouble getting a table since there are fewer options.

When all is said and done, we still like having the same table staff every night.

Doug

We were a party of six on a sold out cruise on the Volendam last November. Our cruise was only the 2nd on the Volendam with AYWD which we switched to before the cruise departure. The first night we arrived at the DR at 7pm got our beeper and before we got to the bar for a drink it went off and we had our table. The food was hot the service was fantastic so for the rest of the cruise (9 nights) we called every day and made reservations for the same table and wait staff at 7:45. We called as late as noon on some days and got this same #307 table. The DR manager told us that we could arrive earlier for our table and that it would most likely be ready . So we showed up in the DR at 7:15 (which was the perfect time for our party to eat) and every time we immediately were seated to our table. As I have said on this forum before, 6:15 is way too early and 8:00 is way to late to eat dinner, so we were able to turn 7:15 into our perfect "fixed" dinning time.:D :D

I appreciate the explanation. I know that some people like AYW and it is probably not going away but we will not book if AYW is all we can get. I realize that people have had to dine at 8pm in the past but not us since we have not booked a cruise when that was our only option. This is why we typically book so far in advance.

We were originally assigned first seating on the cruise in question but because someone in our party booked later they put us ALL into AYW. We did not know this until we were on board...not a good thing! We should have been told in advance.

We did find that dinner at the Lido was better than in the past and were told they are trying to make this an improved option since AYW is driving some people to this alternative. The only problem was that the Lido was very crowded and they were not prepared for this from what I could tell. Food seemed to be very late or arrived while you were still eating the first course. I'm sure they will get this working better in the future.

Doug

The HAL website says:

We are proud to introduce As You Wish™ dining in our main dining room. This innovative program allows you to choose from the best of both worlds; either traditional pre-set seating and dining times, or a completely flexible dining schedule.

Everyone (including HAL) seems to define As You Wish as Open Seating. I feel that it is great that those who want open seating have that option. However, it seems that those that want fixed time seating rarely have that option As They Wish. Our Westerdam cruise will be the first HAL for the 6 of us. Since we booked the cruise 11 months ahead of time, I thougt it was a computer "glitch" that we were "waitlisted" for fixed seating. Now I keep reading of all the problems trying to get tables for 6. I should have stuck to my rule, i.e. if confirmed fixed seating isn't available at the time of booking, book some other cruise.

Now I keep reading of all the problems trying to get tables for 6. I should have stuck to my rule, i.e. if confirmed fixed seating isn't available at the time of booking, book some other cruise.

I do not know where you have got the idea that a table for 6 is hard to get in the open dinning area of the main DR. Please read my post #1477 above about our experience with the availability of a table for 6 in the open dinning option. I did not hear of anybody on our cruise not being able to get a table of 6, in fact I saw several every night that were totally empty when we dined.

I find it interesting that HAL apparently has changed its website wording regarding AYWD ... until quite recently, AYWD was described as open and fixed in the main dining room, as well as Lido, Pinnacle, room service. Now, it appears that AYWD alludes only to the seating options in the main dining venue.

... it seems that those that want fixed time seating rarely have that option As They Wish. Our Westerdam cruise will be the first HAL for the 6 of us. Since we booked the cruise 11 months ahead of time, I thougt it was a computer "glitch" that we were "waitlisted" for fixed seating. Now I keep reading of all the problems trying to get tables for 6. I should have stuck to my rule, i.e. if confirmed fixed seating isn't available at the time of booking, book some other cruise.

Don't despair. From the reports, it's hard to get fixed seating confirmed at the time of booking, because HAL seems to be keeping everyone on a waitlist so they can keep their options open. But if you booked well in advance you have a good chance of getting your fixed seating request confirmed eventually - especially if you (or your TA) push for it (politely). Try having your TA contact HAL shortly before final payment to tell them that you would like to have it confirmed before you pay, if possible. May or may not work, but probably won't hurt. Good luck!

I love the AYWD -- it gives you the flexibility to not have to plan your day around your dining times. I have always ordered from the vegetarian menus and on both the Noordam and Oosterdam, the AYWD procedure is similar to that of the fixed dining. That is-- your waiter brings you the menu after your current meal so that you can pre-order for the next night. When you call down to make your reservations, you just inform the operator that you have a "special meal". Once, we decided to just drop in instead of making reservations and when we spoke to the reservations clerk at the entrance, we just indicated that we had pre-ordered the night before. On both 10 day cruises, we never experienced a mix-up and were always seated at a table for 3 (which we requested). The folks at HAL are to be commended--they seem to have this complicated process down to a science.

What process did you use and how for any "tipping" you may have found appropriate for excellent service?

Thanks.

What process did you use and how for any "tipping" you may have found appropriate for excellent service?

Thanks.

Finely,

As it happens, when we called down to make reservations, we asked to be seated in our original waiter's section and on almost every evening, we were able to have our same waitstaff. They were very attentive and service very good. So we put "a little something extra" along with a brief Thank You note in a 3X3 inch envelope and subtly (we hope) presented it to each of them -- once about 4 days into the 10 day cruise and then again on the last day. The service and extra attention went from very good to outstanding after the first envelope. The last Thank You note, aside from containing additional cash, stated that the service was exceptional and mentioned that we were complimenting them by name on the end of cruise survey.

We followed the same procedure on each cruise when we had AYWD and it worked well for us-- and, based on the "thank yous" and plentiful smiles we received from our dining room attendants, we think it worked for them too.

So Reverand Neal reports from the Eurodam that 4/5 of all passengers requested traditional seating and that he was assigned open even though requesting traditional when booking 18 months ahead for a three-week cruise. We booked a year ahead for our last cruise and, like many others, were waitlisted for traditional dining.

AYWD fans help me understand - seems like this should not be happening when this new option is promoted as the most popular among HAL cruisers?

So Reverand Neal reports from the Eurodam that 4/5 of all passengers requested traditional seating and that he was assigned open even though requesting traditional when booking 18 months ahead for a three-week cruise. We booked a year ahead for our last cruise and, like many others, were waitlisted for traditional dining.

AYWD fans help me understand - seems like this should not be happening when this new option is promoted as the most popular among HAL cruisers?

As You Wish Dining is the new moniker for the entire dining program on HAL. Are you asking about Fixed Seating or Open Seating?

There does seem to be something wrong on the cruise you were on. Other posts and our own experience suggest that when you phone you are usually offered four times - two early and two late. I am at a loss to know how all the open diners could be accommodated at 8 pm. We personally never had trouble with this. We usually booked and were offered the four times, but a couple of evenings we went "on spec" at around 6 pm and were seated immediately.

You must understandably feel frustrated by what happened to you. On the other hand do not forget that many people in the days of traditional only dining found themselves on late sitting anyway and were unable to get early for the whole cruise.

Mancunian,

I have suspected for some time that some of the negative CC's posts about open dinning experiences, like the one you referenced in your post, are made up or fictionalized by those who are so much against the concept. There are posters on this forum who want to see open dinning go away and I think some are making up stories hoping that HAL will read them and end it. Our own experience with open dinning on the Volendam was exactly like yours above and I think many more are in favor of the AYWD concept than against it.

OK - I know this question has probably been asked over and over, but I promised my friends I would post it. We are waitlisted for early fixed seating which they really want. I think open sitting would work for our group of eight. What we would like to do with the open sitting is request the same table and same waiter every night for our back-to-backs on the WEsterdam this fall. In essence, turning our "open" seating into "fixed" seating. Will they let us do this without calling for reservations each day (i.e. a standing 14 day reservation)? Or should we see if one of our TA's could push for fixed early seating? What is the best way for us to be able to dine together at the same table at the same time each night? I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Snowcat,

We were on the Westerdam in March and were assigned to open seating. We very much did not like it. (Yes, I am a REAL person...not making this up as was alleged in an earlier post!)

The first thing we did when getting on the ship was find the reservations desk and make dinner reservations for 8:00. We were given a confirmation card and instructed to be at the door 15 minutes early. We arrived at 7:45 PM - and stood in line for 50 minutes to be seated! Service was awful. For the entire cruise we had only one very busy waiter and no other service. The next morning, I spent about 30 minutes trying call for reservations and never got through. Instead, I went to the main desk and waited in line to make our dinner reservation. That night, we were seated more promptly and met 2 very nice couples. The topic of conversation was our frustration with the dining arrangements. One of the other couples said that they had not made reservations the first night and waited for 2 hours to be seated. Eventually, they were told they would not have any tables open that night and told to go to the Lido for dinner. They hurried up to the Lido deck and were among the last people served before it closed.

We enjoyed the dinner company and asked our waiter about being seated together at the same time each evening. He told us to call reservations. We were not successful in arranging that reservation. After a third night of total frustration, I contacted reservations again and pitched a fit until we were given traditional seating. Imagine our surprise to discover that the traditional - late seating - dining room we had requested had numerous empty tables for the duration of the cruise. While we were happy to have traditional seating, the service did not improve. We again had only one very harried waiter with no support staff at all. Most evenings I could not even get my water glass refilled!

We loved the Westerdam and we will be sailing on her again in November. However, we will probably eat most meals in our cabin or on the Lido deck. At least on the Lido I can refill my water glass!

Brenda

Hi, I have never been on HA before and asked for anytime dining. Now that I have been reading these threads I am a bit concerned. I know from other cruise lines that anytime seating means just walk in when you want. However, is that how HA does it? Or do I still need to make a reseravation?

I appreciate any help.

Theresa

Hi, I have never been on HA before and asked for anytime dining. Now that I have been reading these threads I am a bit concerned. I know from other cruise lines that anytime seating means just walk in when you want. However, is that how HA does it? Or do I still need to make a reseravation?

I appreciate any help.

Theresa

No, you do not need to make a reservation. You may have to wait if you do the walk up approach. Much depends on what time you go.

No, you do not need to make a reservation. You may have to wait if you do the walk up approach. Much depends on what time you go.

They were really "selling" the idea of reservations on my recent Maasdam cruise and were clearly hoping everyone would make one. As I said in the other thread, we got in fine at 6:00 PM (never tried going later). But some folks who came at 6:30 were told there would be as much as a one-hour wait.

We had always had the traditional dining choice and thought it was the only way to go until we took a Princess cruise last year for 10 days to the southern Caribbean and after sitting with a group of travelers that, had two of the mature ladies were drenched in perfume we decided that we would go to the As you wish dining, we found it fabulous, we could relax after a busy day on shore and then go to the dining room at anytime we wished, A note to those of you that like to meet a lot of different people, Always ask the Mater'd for a table as large as possible, we found that we never had to wait for a table as those people who only wanted a table for two or four sometimes did, the people were always interesting and you always had someone you could talk to. Sometimes because we usually went to dinner around the same time as some others we had met we were again seated with people we already knew. It is a fantastic way to travel and we will never go back to traditional dining again.

We are scheduled for Alaska on June 3rd,2009 Land /sea cruise and we have been given this As you like it dining option on the Statendam.:D

Mancunian,

I have suspected for some time that some of the negative CC's posts about open dinning experiences, like the one you referenced in your post, are made up or fictionalized by those who are so much against the concept. There are posters on this forum who want to see open dinning go away and I think some are making up stories hoping that HAL will read them and end it. Our own experience with open dinning on the Volendam was exactly like yours above and I think many more are in favor of the AYWD concept than against it.

I think this comment it outright rude and uncalled for. :mad: You have taken one cruise with AYW and yours worked out fine. Like it or not, there are some others that have had some problems.

Thanks for the answers to my previous post! Any more opinions? Can we turn our open seating into "fixed" seating with a one-time standing reservation?

Previous Message: OK - I know this question has probably been asked over and over, but I promised my friends I would post it. We are waitlisted for early fixed seating which they really want. I think open sitting would work for our group of eight. What we would like to do with the open sitting is request the same table and same waiter every night for our back-to-backs on the WEsterdam this fall. In essence, turning our "open" seating into "fixed" seating. Will they let us do this without calling for reservations each day (i.e. a standing 14 day reservation)? Or should we see if one of our TA's could push for fixed early seating? What is the best way for us to be able to dine together at the same table at the same time each night? I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks for the answers to my previous post! Any more opinions? Can we turn our open seating into "fixed" seating with a one-time standing reservation?

It really seems to depend on the ship. On the Maasdam that is clearly what many people did. At least, even when we came at slightly different times and sat at different tables, I saw many of the same people at the same tables every evening (and they had all the tables by the window).

I think this comment it outright rude and uncalled for. :mad: You have taken one cruise with AYW and yours worked out fine. Like it or not, there are some others that have had some problems.

I think your comment is as rude as well. I did not say that ALL of the negative posts seemed fictionalised. I agree there have been some problems as well as misunderstandings about the new AYWD. I was responding to a post from someone saying that when they walked up to the open dining room at 7pm and were told by the DR Manager that no tables were going to be available that night and that the they would have to eat in either their cabin or the Lido. Maybe this could happen one night, but this poster said this was the same very night. This story has to be fiction or extremely embellished as this situation is so outlandish that it could not be possibly true on any HAL ship.:p

Our one cruise with AYWD was 100% sold out and I neither saw nor heard of anyone being turned away from the DR for the entire night. I never saw the long lines at the entrance to the DR and most waiting times for tables were 10 minutes or less. So I stand by my original post and opinion that some CC posters will do anything including making up negative stories to undermine the AYWD program.

So I stand by my original post and opinion that some CC posters will do anything including making up negative stories to undermine the AYWD program.

Some people just don't care for the concept of AYWD. Some had negative experiences. Just because you liked the AYWD doesn't mean the ones who don't and posted negative comments are "fictionalized."

There are posters on this forum who want to see open dinning go away and I think some are making up stories hoping that HAL will read them and end it. Our own experience with open dinning on the Volendam was exactly like yours above and I think many more are in favor of the AYWD concept than against it.

I do think these two sentences say it all. You like AYWD and you don't want it to be dropped. So you "think" some people are making up negative stories...so you choose to discredit them. A lot of HAL traditionalists don't like the open concept. HAL may or may not discontinue the AYWD practice. I personally think there's room for both dining options. Who knows...time will tell.

Some people just don't care for the concept of AYWD. Some had negative experiences. Just because you liked the AYWD doesn't mean the ones who don't and posted negative comments are "fictionalized." .

Again, I have not said ALL negative postings about AYWD are untrue or fictionalized only that some are so unbelievable and preposterous to be anything but made up or fictionalized. Do you really believe any HAL DR Manager would tell a passenger that they can not eat in the DR because it will be full for the entire night and that they will have to eat in their cabin or the Lido and that this happened ever night for the rest of their cruise?? :confused: :confused: I am of the opinion that these "stories" are intended in hopes that HAL management rethink their AYWD program and to scare others away from considering it on their cruises.:eek:

I admit that there have been some problems with AYWD but the overwhelming opinions have been positive. The HAL traditionalists are apparently in the minority about AYWD.