Removal of Auto tips on P&O ?

NSWP

After reading all the Princess posts, I formulated a response. If any one

is interested have a read of this

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10681277&posted=1#post10681277

I have no problem paying for GOOD service, but I am not topping up wages, when we have to pay so much more. I asked Princess Cruises about the difference in the cost and they couldn't answer me. But I am going and having a good time anyway. It will be interesting to see what else they

"Australianise", because we are "Colonials" after all

Roflamao, Love your sense of humour CruiseKidz!

Is it OK if I wear my Navy blue work singlet?

I don't want to risk getting the butter from the lobsters on my nice Billabong T-shirt!

Cheers,

Hey Singlets, we could commission CC singlets for the group!!

To be honest Katkell I don't take the tipping issue seriously, I will continue to make a personal decision about tipping. It's the heavy handed responses that peeve me, if that thread is an example of free speech well I'm a bit worried. Not too long now till half of the US wakes up and the barrage of comments unfold

Hi everyone

I've been reading the tipping threads - this one and the overseas one too - with great interest.

Does anyone have any idea how many people elect NOT to tip when they travel on the P&O Australia ships? Would it be as high as 50%? On the other hand, do people elect to reduce the amount of their autotip instead of going the $5.50 per person?

Is there a percentage breakdown of where the auto tip money goes on the Australia based ships?

Cheers

Pieboy

(Almost Thursday)

Does anyone have any idea how many people elect NOT to tip when they travel on the P&O Australia ships? Would it be as high as 50%? On the other hand, do people elect to reduce the amount of their autotip instead of going the $5.50 per person?

I'm also curious. To me, and I think to most Australians, we expect good service and we tip for exceptional - if someone went over my expectations, I like to reward them. We don't tip the hairdresser - they're doing their job etc.

I would also think that working on a cruise ship in Australia you would know that.

$5.50 per person per day sounds reasonable, but when my husband and I have scrimped and saved for this holiday and are trying hard to save even more to buy drinks etc on board, an extra $121 on top of everything else is difficult. And then, even if there is auto tipping, are you expected to give even more tips at the end of the cruise (to the cabin steward etc)? For us, this extra money means we have to be even more careful with how many drinks we buy and what goods we purchase. But I guess we'll keep it on there as I'm sure we would feel embarrased if we were the only ones on a ship not tipping this amount.

I'm not wanting to remove all tipping altogether, I do understand that it is important to some of the staff, but I would like to be able to have a say in how much we tip.

After reading all the Princess posts, I formulated a response. If any one

is interested have a read of this

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10681277&posted=1#post10681277

I have no problem paying for GOOD service, but I am not topping up wages, when we have to pay so much more. I asked Princess Cruises about the difference in the cost and they couldn't answer me. But I am going and having a good time anyway. It will be interesting to see what else they

"Australianise", because we are "Colonials" after all

OMG sick of that thread ! Wow they get personal don't they !! They lost me when they started the "your country is trying to rule the world so expect some criticism"....strange place to end up when discussing tips !!! Good luck Jennie, but I think you're wasting the electricity it is using to power your computer to keep up the 'tennis match' as Foundloveatsea put it :rolleyes:

Hi cruisers. I don't like the money taken off each day, but I pay it. I would much prefer to give it in a gratuity envelope personally.

I give my waiter and his assistant, and the cabin steward and assistant a $20.00 international phone card each....if they do a good job..so far they all get it. that way I know they don't have to put it in a pool for everyone to share like the daily tipping.

I would not cruise if I could not afford to tip.

to me it is like cruising without insurance...

but, everyone is different. at least here in Australia we all have that option. if you want to take the tip off you can do so. without an interrogation.

I would hate to try that in the US.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Well the auto tip thing is still going flat out on Princess section. I just think the Americans have too much money, thats why they tip, maybe they should buy the beers for the Aussies, Kiwis and Poms on board.!! Great to see most of you guys on here, getting STUCK IN. Cheers .

:cool: :eek:

Well the auto tip thing is still going flat out on Princess section. I just think the Americans have too much money, thats why they tip, maybe they should buy the beers for the Aussies, Kiwis and Poms on board.!! Great to see most of you guys on here, getting STUCK IN. Cheers .

:cool: :eek:

I had a bit of a giggle when one of the US cc said they wouldn't hear anything "from the other side" due to the hour of the day (presumably our night time) and "they" won't change "their" ideas anyway :) Funny "they" expect "us" to change "our" ideas !! go figure. I'm sure this quote

"I just think the Americans have too much money" would get them going:eek:

We were a bit shocked when we read they would be taking $5.50 per person per day from us for tips but i suppose it removes the hassle as we were going to tip anyway, but I do agree with those who believe we should have the opportunity to elect if and how much. I kind of feel its not really a tip in the true sense if it is forced. in answer to a previous question about whether it is pooled or how to deliver additional personal tips, we spoke to the pursers desk on Pacific Sun about tipping out waitor and cabin crew and were told that the majority of the tips automatically go to the respective waitor and cabin crew and the rest is pooled which saved us the hassle :o

LOL love this topic :D It just resurfaces again and again!!!

We will be taking the auto tipping off on our cruise, because we don't feel comfortable with it. We will be tipping for less than just 'exceptional service' because we understand that it is a wage supplement, but we want to choose who we tip. We plan to tip individuals AND add a substantial amount to the tipping pool for behind the scenes staff.

I suppose we like tipping to be more personal, and we like to have control of our finances - we're just not used to tipping! I think especially Australian cruise lines who are aware of this and cater to a mainly Aussie crowd should up the price of cruises to cover tipping and not call it a 'tip'. Of course they wouldn't do this, because so many people book the cheap fares without reading the fine print about tipping or don't realise that tipping is not just for service that is "over and above" the norm.

I have read the Princess thread and swayed between laughing hysterically and realling back in shock and amazement.

It really is an eye-opener!

Don't think I would ever wade into one of those boards (especially on a topic like tipping!!!):eek:

Leave them to it!!! (But you're right - there are quite a lot of them that don't like the auto-tipping!)

Yes re the other thread on Princess section is ginormous now. The Sctosman is a classic, what a way with words, cracks me up. Having done a couple of cruises on Princess which has 90% American pax..I support the above statements..many Americans don't like auto tips and take them off. You get to know all this when you sit with them for brekkie, lunch and dinner, most tell all.

I have no basic problems with auto tipping, just that they want too much, HALVE it.!!:cool: On my Regal cruise I will leave some auto tip on..much less than the expected Wage subsidy and also tip a few $ to our Cabin/Table Steward..if they deserve it.!

Think I will retire from the Auto tip thread on Princess, raising my BP too much.

Buenos Dias:eek:

I think the debating bit is fine .... we're just a lot more laid back (and as your rightly say - accepting, it would appear) - just the way we are I guess!

It seems like it's almost a sport on the Princess board!

Hi Les & others - you sure stirred them up over the Pacific.

It has been a tradition since well off passengers started to travel by sea to tip the stewards for good sevice.

For passengers to remove auto tips from P&O cruises will only increase costs more than the increasing cost of crude oil.

I agree with Les that cruising on RP back to Aust. he should reduce the auto tip to something like what we are deducted by P&O here.

Maybe someone [foundlove@sea] knows what really happens to personal tips given when auto tipping is left ON. Is it pooled or can the steward keep it.

John

Oh my lord! I've just skimmed through the 200 odd posts in that thread!!

I can't get over how a lot of the American's just jumped in to attack the Aussies, Kiwi's & Poms!!

It suddenly turned from a tipping discussion to a which country is 'better' discussion. But rather than say why their country is so much better, they just told us why ours aren't!!! :cool:

I even got the impression from the mod who stepped in towards the end seemed to put herself out there as 'superior' to us Aussies.:cool:

I LOVE the Scottish bloke! He can come visit our P&O Aus site anytime he likes :D

I think i'll stay out of that thread now - i'm getting too worked up!!

I will test the $40Us a day for our family of 4 tipping theory on the Emerald Princess next month, if they have a proceedure to try to shame me for removing partial tips then hubby(who nearly blew a gasket when I told him the daily rates) has already said he will not sail with them again and will let Princess know that.(I need to be careful there, it's his way of trying to stop me cruising, if he can get a way out he will!!)

I will be more than happy to debate the point with a member of the crew if they insist on this new proceedure.

Happy Sailing

Have been offline for a couple of days, long story.......banned the son (18yrs) from the computer so he took the modem which belongs to him, so had to buy another....he has no bargaining power now ha ha!!

Just had a read of the Princess thread wow:eek: Geri and I havent really discussed what we will do on our 28 day cruise yet,

Chez

xx

At the end of the day..this is my opinion about WW3 on the 'other thread.' We don't take life too serious and 'we give and take more.'

Ask the table/cabin stewards about Aussie Cruisers complaints..we have been told a couple of times on the ships.."Aussies no complain much as the others"..the others? You know who I am talking about. On my Princess cruises I complained only once about food, a really tough steak..it got replaced, no worries, other types complain daily. When Pacific Dawn starts operating I reckon the old Regal Princess crew will breathe a sigh of relief, less complainers..I won't go into the fact that they (the ships service staff) may be poorer due to WAGE SUBSIDY expectations..see I did not mention that naughty word A...O T.P Heh, Heh.

.Cheers.LES (thats me NSWP) I feel I know you guys now.

:cool:

Bravo Les and well said.........when i next cruise Princess and yes i will turn the auto "thingame's" (i refrain from that dirty word).....off... i say go right ahead and bring on the interrogation stuff.....bully tactics don't work on Scots....lol .nananananana..cheers shiona

it certainly has been fun to read but didnt dare put my 2 bobs worth in.

chez, i may be doing the same as you as son is spending more time playing poker on pc than studying, (hsc year) may be hiding the mouse!!!

he feels he doesnt "need "to study much as it comes easy for him,sunday night may be my last night on here for a while if the mouse goes into hiding

Thanks for that BADGERBILL, yes I play golf with a couple of Scotsman, they don't like to 'shout.' Hey you are a Scotsman, can you get HAPPYSCOT on the Princess section over here, he is a laugh a minute, top value, crikey he gives it to em..like stirring porridge.

Cheers..Les:cool:

Archived