New here - I don't understand...

Hi, Kims Aunt. I hope that you are finding these boards to be a good source of information about cruising, because they really are.

I am somewhat puzzled by your post.

I guess that I could understand better if I knew to which posts or threads you are reacting. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi Carol. I'm just guessing (not assuming because I know I musn't) that she could be referring to the general comments that often go something like this:

"Well X bad behavior is something I'd expect to see on Carnival, but not here" and various same-song-different-thread remarks about Carnival = Trash, low class, and so on. Those comments really do bother me because so many of the members who make them also admit they've never even been on a Carnival ship and because that kind of crass generalization is in and of itself "low class" IMO.

The same applies to comments members make about NCL, HAL, Princess, and other lines. The attitude that essentially RCI is the be-all and end-all of cruising and thus all the other lines stink so let's feel free to make insulting remarks about them. That is uncalled for. Although there is some of that "my cruise line is the only one" on all the forums here (at least the ones I've visited), it's certainly not the majority of posts. But it is noticable.

Now, if it's a direct comparison of actual experiences expressed logically, that's another thing. Such as:

"On Princess, we didn't like the Anytime Dining because X, Y, and Z bothered us and we much prefer RCI's Traditional Dining." Or "On HAL, we experienced X kind of bad service, which we haven't experienced on RCI." Or "The decor on Carnival's X ship was quite garish; we like RCI's color schemes better." Or "The design of the NCL X ship is very difficult to navigate; we really had trouble with it."

Those comparisons can be helpful; the others are just simplistic insults, IMO. Anyway, that's my take on what Kims Aunt might be referencing.

beachchick

p.s., How's your summer vacation so far? Hope it's fantastic. You have cruises booked, don't you?:D

Welcome to CC!:) I have not read a lot of negative comments about other cruiselines here but you are on the RCCL board and there is a board for each cruiseline. If you posted here that Carnival or another line is the best cruiseline in the world, you would most likely get flamed pretty bad on an RCCL board as most of us are here because we like RCCL. As for negative comments sometimes found on the boards, just ignore them. Conversations can get heated but people are giving opinions so some disagreement is to be expected occasionally:)

Hi Carol. I'm just guessing (not assuming because I know I musn't) that she could be referring to the general comments that often go something like this:

"Well X bad behavior is something I'd expect to see on Carnival, but not here" and various same-song-different-thread remarks about Carnival = Trash, low class, and so on. Those comments really do bother me because so many of the members who make them also admit they've never even been on a Carnival ship and because that kind of crass generalization is in and of itself "low class" IMO.

The same applies to comments members make about NCL, HAL, Princess, and other lines. The attitude that essentially RCI is the be-all and end-all of cruising and thus all the other lines stink so let's feel free to make insulting remarks about them. That is uncalled for. Although there is some of that "my cruise line is the only one" on all the forums here (at least the ones I've visited), it's certainly not the majority of posts. But it is noticable.

Now, if it's a direct comparison of actual experiences expressed logically, that's another thing. Such as:

"On Princess, we didn't like the Anytime Dining because X, Y, and Z bothered us and we much prefer RCI's Traditional Dining." Or "On HAL, we experienced X kind of bad service, which we haven't experienced on RCI." Or "The decor on Carnival's X ship was quite garish; we like RCI's color schemes better." Or "The design of the NCL X ship is very difficult to navigate; we really had trouble with it."

Those comparisons can be helpful; the others are just simplistic insults, IMO. Anyway, that's my take on what Kims Aunt might be referencing.

beachchick

p.s., How's your summer vacation so far? Hope it's fantastic. You have cruises booked, don't you?:D

I just got back from 5 days in VERY HOT Nashville, but that was a conference, not a vacation.

Just one cruise coming up this summer..........my son made me cancel the second one! :eek:

I thought of all those possibilities, too, beach chick. I'm hoping that KimsAunt will return and tell what has set her off.

I was somewhat surprised and confused, since she has only been a member for a month and only has four posts, what could have upset her so much that she had to start a thread telling us how upset she was.

Here's waiting for tomorrow! ;)

I just got back from 5 days in VERY HOT Nashville, but that was a conference, not a vacation.

Just one cruise coming up this summer..........my son made me cancel the second one! :eek:

I thought of all those possibilities, too, beach chick. I'm hoping that KimsAunt will return and tell what has set her off.

I was somewhat surprised and confused, since she has only been a member for a month and only has four posts, what could have upset her so much that she had to start a thread telling us how upset she was.

Here's waiting for tomorrow! ;)

Only the one cruise?:eek: You poor thing. Boo.

I'd like to visit Nashville sometime, but I will definitely avoid summer. OTOH, it's not exactly freezing up in your neck of the woods this time of year. For me, east coast summers = hot, humid, sticky, but that's from kid and teen memories. Haven't been back east in the summer for 20 years...Guess that's why.

Yes, I do see why you were confused by Kims Aunt's post. I agree that it would be nice if she'd come back and explain why she feels this way.

Have a great cruise, especially because it's your only one this summer. Bummer.

beachchick

Only the one cruise?:eek: You poor thing. Boo.

I'd like to visit Nashville sometime, but I will definitely avoid summer. OTOH, it's not exactly freezing up in your neck of the woods this time of year. For me, east coast summers = hot, humid, sticky, but that's from kid and teen memories. Haven't been back east in the summer for 20 years...Guess that's why.

Yes, I do see why you were confused by Kims Aunt's post. I agree that it would be nice if she'd come back and explain why she feels this way.

Have a great cruise, especially because it's your only one this summer. Bummer.

beachchick

Would you believe that they FINALLY lowered the cost of the Empress to Bermuda out of Philadelphia? They put it in their July 4th sale, three sailings, for decent prices. (I've been complaining about how high they had priced her).

And would you believe that all three sailings overlap our Explorer cruise?!?!?!?!? Can't take advantage of the sale price AT ALL. :(

We are actually having a cool spell here in Philadelphia! Feels great.

What you will find is that some people go on a cruise and begin looking for negatives so they have something to post about. 98% of the other passengers don't post on this board, happy or not.

Some with 10,000+ posts feel they have to comment on every post. This is their hobby I guess.

As with life, the negatives are typically the loudest and stand out, after all it is called "Cruise Critic". If you think this board is opinioned, wander on over to the HAL board.

People are a bit passionate about their cruise lines - unless you are like me and like trying every cruise line!

Welcome to the boards - these are the best boards on the internet as far as getting questions answered. Just don't take anything personally.

Agreed....people are weird-they only cruise one line,then bash all other cruise lines based on what a few posters say...well-I didn't eat lobster or shrimp till I was 35(54 now),because I had a PRE-CONCEIVED notion about the taste.Then one day a friend insisted I at least try some lobster w/butter...WOW!!! I loved it,and the rest is history...

When I tried HAL's Westerdam in Nov.'05,I wrote a review on the HAL boards..I practically got crucified because I wrote the CD was the worst(she was!) I had seen so far.We waited 45 minutes for SALAD in the Pinnacle Grill(is that OK,too?),AND they switched our dining time WITHOUT asking from 6 PM to late 8:30...so what,you might think?Well,I have acid reflux and eating late makes me very uncomfortable in my throat.Even when I told officials that,they did nothing to help.AND I mentioned that average age was death on this cruise(it was)..as mentioned earlier by a poster,many were in walkers,canes,wheelchairs,etc...we were 52 & 50 and the average passenger was 25-30 years older than us.....I write what I observe & experience.I do the same with restaurants,hotels and movies.People are passionate about cruising and I.E.,if you loved the Mariner or the Freedom(as we did) and then write a negative comment/review,people take offense because you are both critisizing and contradicting what they thought.I have enjoyed all 17 cruises my wife & I have sailed.We PREFER RCI,NCL,Disney,and Princess.I liked Celebrity,but entertainment on the Mercury was awful.Carnival is OK,but ships too glitzy and neonie for me.I have strong opinions about dinner attire and traditional dining vs. freestyle/alternative,BUT they are only my thoughts & opinions-no need to have a cow-it's just a cruise,not a cure for cancer......

Big Al

I too, do not get it. Having a favorite is fine. Everyone does. Putting down other lines, especially lines you've not sailed on is akin to my eldest not liking green beans. He hates them and is very vocal. He's never tried them.

In reference to your questions: I have had the exact thoughts you are posting. I read the thread that Somebeach referenced and was surprised at some of the responses. I asked myself why did some people respond rudely to such a pleasant post about a blog? As has been mentioned here, our English language can easily convey the wrong emotion behind a statement and I may have incorrectly read those replies.

I find that the little smiley faces help when reading people's comments because they represent the missing body language.

There is a place on Cruise Critic where you will probably not find rude comments...the Roll Calls! We are involved in one for our August 5 sailing and I must admit I am eager to meet these people because they come across in a most pleasant way.:)

That is a good point, but I will add that as a nursing manager, I am always telling the staff ... it is NOT WHAT you say ...it is HOW you say it!!!

Congratulations on the new Grandbaby!!!! :)

I have to agree with everyone here. Some people are just a little too opinionated and get a little too excited when voicing (writing it down) their views. We just need to take "their" opinions with a grain of salt and not take anything too personal.

And, THIS is the BEST PLACE to get valuable advice when it comes to cruising. You can learn everything from which cruise lines have the best room service to which ports-of-call have the best drinks or restaurants.

Give us a chance you will be glad you moved into our neighborhood.

countdown.pl?name=Cruise_Lover&date=1-13-2008&image=Beach-9&text=Cruising and birthdays are matches made in heaven!&ship=Voyager of the Seas

Norwegian SUN - January 2007

Carnival Conquest - September 2005

beachnative, some of the posters were questioning why she didn't come back and answer the questions they had about the blog thread. A few got on the rude wagon but that was after some days passed and she didn't return to help them understand.

I did notice a poster made a reference to a May 21st post but I didn't see one dated for then. Maybe something in that one was offensive and pulled.

There is always the possibility in a forum such as this when you post a question, comment, suggestion, etc, that someone will disagree in a manner that you won't like.

I do agree you will meet some very nice people and learn a lot in the roll calls. One must remember tho, those people know they will be meeting each other! ;) I believe when some get *rude* elsewhere, they aren't thinking that one day they may meet that person.

Hopefully she will come back and clear things up.

Would you believe that they FINALLY lowered the cost of the Empress to Bermuda out of Philadelphia? They put it in their July 4th sale, three sailings, for decent prices. (I've been complaining about how high they had priced her).

And would you believe that all three sailings overlap our Explorer cruise?!?!?!?!? Can't take advantage of the sale price AT ALL. :(

We are actually having a cool spell here in Philadelphia! Feels great.

Oh, that is just cruel! It's adding insult to injury, so to speak. Well, just keep checking. You never know when they might add another cruise date to the sale.

beachchick

Archived