Asian side of Istanbul - worth it?

Hello! I am trying to plan an itinerary for a private tour of Istanbul and wondered if it would be worth it to include a visit to the Asian side of Istanbul. Can anyone provide any insight? One tour company won't go there at all because of the traffic, although the cruiseline shore excursion does include it in the tour itinerary. Also, which sites would you recommend as "must see" in Istanbul? The sites I was considering were Hippodrome, St. Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Underground Cistern and the Spice Market. I know I can't fit all of them plus the Asian side of Istanbul in two half-day tours. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

The Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Aya Sophia and Underground Cistern are all very close to each other. You can easily see them in half a day. The Topkapi Palace is also very close and you can easily spend 2-3 hours there.

From the area in Sultanahmet where these sights are you can walk (follow the tram tracks) or take the tram to Eminou where the ferry stations are. Here you will find the Spice Market. Probably a 20 minute walk. You can spend a couple of hours in the Spice Market, not much more.

From there cross the road (underneath) towards the ferries and walk over the Galata bridge. At the end of the bridge take the one stop subway on the left (tunel) up to the top....Istiklal Cadessi. Walk all the way up the pedestrian Istiklal Cad....lots to see, shop, eat, etc. You end up in Taksim

Square. You can spend a whole afternoon doing this.

All of this is still on the European side. You can take a ferry at Eminou which goes to various spots on the Asian side but for two days it might not be worth it.

As for the Grand Bazaar....probably 20 minute walk from the Spice Market....you can spend days there.

Have fun.

Marty

The sites I was considering were Hippodrome, St. Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Underground Cistern and the Spice Market. I know I can't fit all of them plus the Asian side of Istanbul in two half-day tours. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

We did all of the things you list above -- except the Cistern -- in one long day in Istanbul, so it can be done, especially if your two half days are a bit long. Looking back I would skip the Spice Market and do the Cistern instead.

I'd also consider a cruise on the Bosphorus rather than seeing the Asian side, if you are looking for other suggestions. I didn't do it but talked to others who did and really enjoyed it because of all the views.

We went to the Asian side on our cruise in May this year and apart from a good view back to Istanbul I am not sure it was worth the trip. I think if you go by boat you disembark by a sign that says Welcome to Asia which is a good photo opportunity but as we went by bus we did not get that. If it were me, I would allow a more leisurely pace on the other side

Thanks everyone for your feedback! It is very helpful.

For those of you who did visit the Asian side of Istanbul, how long was the drive? Did you hit a lot of traffic?

Cruisemom42 mentioned that in hindsight she would have skipped the Spice Market. Is it not that different from the Grand Bazaar? Or is it just not as interesting as some of the other sights? How much time would you recommend allowing for the Grand Bazaar?

Thanks again!

The Spice Market is good for a half hour or so.....individual stalls selling spices, nuts, candy and other Turkish delights. Don't buy too much for gifts as it will only add to you already heavy luggage. Have some free samples....talk to the vendors. As I said, it is near the Galata Bridge....if you like walking, cross the bridge, take the tunel and walk up Istiklal Cadessi to Taksim Square. Have some simit, moda ice cream, doner kebops....enjoy. Buy some ties and scarves...lots to see and do....visit the Flower Passage or the hotel made famous by Agatha Christie.

There are many towns and little villages on the Asian side. The public ferries goes to many of them. There is also a full day ferry that takes you up the Bosphorus, lets you off for lunch at a little fishing village and returns you back to the ferry terminal....long day and your return traverses the same scenery as the trip up. If you were spending a week the Asian side would be OK.....stay on the Europen side (both sides of the Galata Bridge-Sultanahmet & Taksim).

Marty

Archived