Live from Millie 6/30-7/12- Damage

berryhappy24

You Go BurgerBits! I want to hear what happens when you contact that man's office...i don't know what page I was viewing, but i just recently saw his picture and his name so I know exactly who you are refering to...I was wishing there was a direct email link to his office because I would be TYPING! :-) Jordie

I just get nervous hearing this stuff because I experienced a broken down bus in Cozumel on an NCL excursion and upon running down the pier discovered that the gangway was being pulled off the pier. We asked and they said they had no idea any passengers weren't back from one of their excursions. Cozumel is not a place I would like to be left overnight especially when you pay extra for a ship tour thinking it is not possible. We don't do ship tours their anymore even though on the Century they assured us it couldn't happen we took a cab.

I am a travel agent...do it part time..first off........most ships today have electronic cards.....when you swipe the card to leave or reenter the ship...the ship knows who is back..and who is not....ncl is a puzzle to me sometimes...and if there is a problem with a tour arranged by the cruiseline...they will delay the ship...why ncl had no clue is a mystery to me........andy

Lsimon: Celebrity does offer shore excursions that feature train rides. Did one five years ago off the Constellation into Berlin. The train was late getting back, (had to be at least 75 of us) and the ship had to wait for us. Sailed about half an hour late.

I am a travel agent...do it part time..first off........most ships today have electronic cards.....when you swipe the card to leave or reenter the ship...the ship knows who is back..and who is not....ncl is a puzzle to me sometimes...and if there is a problem with a tour arranged by the cruiseline...they will delay the ship...why ncl had no clue is a mystery to me........andy
And they had the swipe cards. And would you believe there was one other tour that used a boat that came in right behind up. We saw there boat pull up at the bend of the L shape pier (they had a lot shorter distance to run). They came on board seconds after we did. We were really upset and complained and got half our money back for the tour. I know it's not supposed to happen but it's also something I discuss with the tour desk every cruise since. This incident was in 2004.

BTW I am so glad to hear that the passengers on this cruise ended up getting a 100% free cruise instead of a 50% they deserved it. The trip was shortened, they went to 2 of 9 ports, and all they went through to go home. I don't know what would have been worse having to deal with everything that happened or having to deal with my husband. LOL

Lsimon: Celebrity does offer shore excursions that feature train rides. Did one five years ago off the Constellation into Berlin. The train was late getting back, (had to be at least 75 of us) and the ship had to wait for us. Sailed about half an hour late.

OK.Fair enough. I guess I shouldn't comment on cities I really don't know about - although I should be learning some soon.

I haven't said it yet so I will....Sorry to all you folks suffering through the Millennium Problems and cancellation. No one wins in these types of situations. I think we still have room on our Sept 10 cruise an I know at least one of the July 12 cancelled cruisers has re booked for Sept. 10th. Come join us if you can!

We are among the last people still onboard...it seems most of the original passengers (particularly those from the US) have already left, taking advantage of the charters to JFK that Celebrity arranged.

We are taking a bus late tonight to Venice. The ship sails at midnight to drydock in Palermo.

Just a few minutes ago, the announcement was made that Celebrity will now increase their previously announced 50% credit for a future cruise to 100%!

The mood among us die hards sticking it out to the end has brightened considerably.

Overall, the mood aboard the last day or two has been rather strange. Service levels have dropped a bit, but in general the ship has done a good job of maintaining the food service, entertainment etc, even as people are loading luggage in the elevators and leaving.

Certainly a trip to remember....

We left the ship yesterday morning and it was still 50%. IF THIS IS TRUE could you post the follow up letter that is put under doors reinstating what was announced. It would be greatly appreciated.

We left the ship yesterday morning and it was still 50%. IF THIS IS TRUE could you post the follow up letter that is put under doors reinstating what was announced. It would be greatly appreciated.

The update below is from the Celebrity website:

Important Update: Celebrity Millennium - (July 11, 2007 - 11:00 am) -

Celebrity Cruises has cancelled two 12-night Mediterranean sailings onboard Celebrity Millennium due to damage to the ship's propellers. The ship will reenter service for its July 24 sailing.

On July 2, while anchored off Villefranche, France, the ship's propellers struck a submerged rock, following an electrical malfunction. Three of the four blades on the starboard propeller and one on the port propeller were damaged and needed to be replaced.

The company originally thought divers could accomplish the repairs while the ship was docked. The company has now concluded that a drydock is necessary. As a result, the remaining portion of the current cruise, which began June 30, has been cancelled. The next cruise, scheduled to depart July 12, has also been cancelled.

"We deeply regret having to cancel these sailings and apologize to our guests for the disruption this will cause them," said Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises. "We will continue to aggressively address the repairs and return the ship to service July 24."

The ship will remain in Civitavecchia until the night of July 11, while the company assists guests in flying home from Rome and Venice. Guests from the June 30 sailing have received an onboard credit and other compensation that is equal to their full cruise fare, and a future cruise credit worth 100 percent of the value of their current cruise fare.

Guests booked on the July 12 sailing will receive a full refund of all monies paid to Celebrity Cruises and a future cruise credit worth 100 percent of the value of their cancelled sailing.

The company has established a special Help Desk to assist guests or travel agents who might have questions about this matter. That toll-free phone number is 1-888-281-9343.

Celebrity Millennium departed Barcelona, Spain, June 30 on a 12-night Mediterranean sailing that was scheduled to concludes in Venice, Italy, July 12. The ship was then scheduled to depart Venice July 12 on a 12-night Mediterranean sailing that was to conclude in Barcelona, Spain, July 24.

Hope this helps, Marlee

You Go BurgerBits! I want to hear what happens when you contact that man's office...i don't know what page I was viewing, but i just recently saw his picture and his name so I know exactly who you are refering to...I was wishing there was a direct email link to his office because I would be TYPING! :-) Jordie

Thanks, Jordie - I think I've seen the page to which you're referring. (The fellow looks like he's in his 20s... hmmm. Not that there's anything wrong with that!! LOL)

I will ABSOLUTELY post any responses I get from his office - on this and all of the RCCL and Celebrity boards I can find.

The update below is from the Celebrity website:

Important Update: Celebrity Millennium - (July 11, 2007 - 11:00 am) -

Celebrity Cruises has cancelled two 12-night Mediterranean sailings onboard Celebrity Millennium due to damage to the ship's propellers. The ship will reenter service for its July 24 sailing.

On July 2, while anchored off Villefranche, France, the ship's propellers struck a submerged rock, following an electrical malfunction. Three of the four blades on the starboard propeller and one on the port propeller were damaged and needed to be replaced.

The company originally thought divers could accomplish the repairs while the ship was docked. The company has now concluded that a drydock is necessary. As a result, the remaining portion of the current cruise, which began June 30, has been cancelled. The next cruise, scheduled to depart July 12, has also been cancelled.

"We deeply regret having to cancel these sailings and apologize to our guests for the disruption this will cause them," said Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises. "We will continue to aggressively address the repairs and return the ship to service July 24."

The ship will remain in Civitavecchia until the night of July 11, while the company assists guests in flying home from Rome and Venice. Guests from the June 30 sailing have received an onboard credit and other compensation that is equal to their full cruise fare, and a future cruise credit worth 100 percent of the value of their current cruise fare.

Guests booked on the July 12 sailing will receive a full refund of all monies paid to Celebrity Cruises and a future cruise credit worth 100 percent of the value of their cancelled sailing.

The company has established a special Help Desk to assist guests or travel agents who might have questions about this matter. That toll-free phone number is 1-888-281-9343.

Celebrity Millennium departed Barcelona, Spain, June 30 on a 12-night Mediterranean sailing that was scheduled to concludes in Venice, Italy, July 12. The ship was then scheduled to depart Venice July 12 on a 12-night Mediterranean sailing that was to conclude in Barcelona, Spain, July 24.

Hope this helps, Marlee

Thank you so much. Shortly after posting, I went to the Celebrity web site and saw that. I must say,we are rebooked on the July10 sailing on Summit for next year, but I must say hearing the credit went up, does help take away some of the bitter taste from a week of dissapointments and dashed hopes every time we woke up and saw we were still in Citivatechhia.

Martodd-Welcome to the July 10th cruise! All of us July 12ers started "a very special roll call" - come and join! We laugh, we cry, we moan and we look forward to next summer when our dream cruise will work!!!!

I applaud those of you who are already planning your 'special' cruise next summer despite your serious disappointment this year! Here's wishing that it's the BEST ever and that your compensation will add to the enjoyment. It is a lovely cruise - one of our favorites.

We were also booked for this sailing. Can someone tell me what they mean by "the value of their cancelled sailing" ? There are different ways to interpret this, but I suppose it means "cruise only" (without any taxes) ?

Hey! Has anyone heard about the people who showed up to the dock on July 12th with no boat?

Us July 12ers were wondering about them. (Looking forward to a nice beach trip next week to drink away our tears!)

Bella, seriously?:( :eek: there were a dozen folks who never

found out about what happened?:confused:

We were also booked for this sailing. Can someone tell me what they mean by "the value of their cancelled sailing" ? There are different ways to interpret this' date=' but I suppose it means "cruise only" (without any taxes) ?[/quote']

What this means is that the passengers get a credit of exactly what they paid for their cruise. If it was say $ 3000 per person with taxes- then they get $ 3000 per person with taxes. There is no reason why taxes wouldn't be included. Don't know where that came from.

The issue is that next year- the same sailing on Summit is probably going to go up in price. So, if you missed July 12, 2007. The same trip might be more for July 2008. So, even though you are getting a free cruise- it is only going to be the dollar amount you spent on this one. So if the fare is say $ 3300 for next July- then you will have to kick in the extra $ 300.

But it is still a great deal.

What this means is that the passengers get a credit of exactly what they paid for their cruise. If it was say $ 3000 per person with taxes- then they get $ 3000 per person with taxes. There is no reason why taxes wouldn't be included. Don't know where that came from.

It's the first time we encounter this kind of situation, so we don't know what to expect. Neither does our TA, for the same reason and she was talking about "cruise only" but wasn't sure. Next week we'll get an answer, but I wanted to have some more info before that.

So what about paid transfers and prepaid gratuities ?

so here is what I am wondering: I originally paid 2300 each for the July 12 cruise...then the price went down to 1899 and I got a refund. So...The July 10th 2008 cruise is 2300...I now have to pay the difference from the 1899. Now...if it goes down can I get that refund? Not dogging the deal but I wish Celebrity would just give us the free cruise...After all the cancellation did give me an asthma attack!!:p

Oh and I was just assuming that people were in Venice for July 12 because some people left the week before...

We were aboard the aborted millenium cruise. while dining in our hotel in Venice we met another family from Belgium who had arrived in Venice for the 7/12 sailing. They had NOT been notified of it's cancellation before leaving belgium. Our cruise was officially cancelled on sunday night. They didn't notify the next group until tuesday. Why the delay? Did the engineers really think they could get from Civitivecchia to Florence, complete the repairs and test it on time??? Suspect, since we were given a letter stating that once the propeller was removed, replacement took 9-12 hours of work.

We were aboard the aborted millenium cruise. while dining in our hotel in Venice we met another family from Belgium who had arrived in Venice for the 7/12 sailing. They had NOT been notified of it's cancellation before leaving belgium.

I had to call my TA on monday morning to tell her this cruise was cancelled. I don't blame her, since she wasn't notified yet. I guess, if I didn't read these boards so often, we would have been at the same table, at the same restaurant with our compatriots in Venice... So barryhappy24, thanks again for starting this thread !

breslow, do you happen to know if this was the first cruise of the Belgian family you met in Venice ?

so here is what I am wondering: I originally paid 2300 each for the July 12 cruise...then the price went down to 1899 and I got a refund. So...The July 10th 2008 cruise is 2300...I now have to pay the difference from the 1899. Now...if it goes down can I get that refund? Not dogging the deal but I wish Celebrity would just give us the free cruise...After all the cancellation did give me an asthma attack!!:p

Oh and I was just assuming that people were in Venice for July 12 because some people left the week before...

I am going through this now from my cruise cancelled in Dec.

What you will do is book your next cruise. You will then pay your deposit just like anyone else would. Then you can play the same game if the price falls you can request the lower price. You or your travel agent will receive in the mail a cruise certificate with the value of your cruise. Before your final payment is due (I suggest before to allow time for it to hit your account and be able to see that it did) have your certificate applied (your agent might be able to do this online or you or your agent can fax it I am not at this point yet) then either you need to pay the difference by the deadline or Celebrity will reimburse you if your deposit has caused you to overpay for your cruise.

I hope this is clear because I have gone through a lot to try and understand all this myself and I can only hope I can clearly communicate my thoughts.

Archived