Yankee Game

fitters

well they lost my respect when the added the Gorton's Fisherman to their uniform.

:D Hey Gotta agree with you on this one. We are leaving SUNDAY on our cruise! Lots of Red Sox fans in Bermuda coming over on the Majesty. They will tell everybody the TRUTH about the Yankees. :eek: :D I would say it here, but I am a polite lady. :rolleyes: (and would get banned from CC forever)

one of these days i'll see the big house. i just hate the thought of driving out there. and i'd need at least 4 days in ann arbor to make the flight worthwhile...and a victory to make it all palatable.

Yes, the big house is something you need to experience! And there is plenty to see and do in Ann Arbor....especially in the Fall.

Okay....I've found two hotels that I'm considering....the Marriott Brooklyn and Marriott Financial Center...which would you recommend? Again, we want to catch the subway to the game during the day....then off to cruise the next day (out of Manhatten).

Is there a big cost difference between the two hotels? Most people would say the Marriott Financial Center because in Manhattan but it is way downtown and I think only one subway stop away from the one in Brooklyn. If the same price then stay in Manhattan. Now that I think about it, stay in Manhattan. After the game you will want to go out in Manhattan (dinner, etc...).

Yes, the big house is something you need to experience! And there is plenty to see and do in Ann Arbor....especially in the Fall.

Okay....I've found two hotels that I'm considering....the Marriott Brooklyn and Marriott Financial Center...which would you recommend? Again, we want to catch the subway to the game during the day....then off to cruise the next day (out of Manhatten).

well for "ease"...they seem to be off the subway line (#4 Train) to yankee stadium. if you don't mind the connections and such...Marr FC is a nice location...right downtown in a nice part of the city.

but then the marriot-brooklyn bridge is right there by the 4 train (gonna be a 30min ride or so). but then getting to the pier in manhattan is the only obstacle (but nothing unbearable that day). doubtful traffic will be a factor.

anyone else concur?

In NY the big house is a jail.

SHea Stadium may be the worst baseball stadium ever built. That is why they are tearing it down(and Yankee Stadium too)....

Yankee Stadium is the house that Ruth Built or Bombers Field...but never the big house that is Sing Sing(aka up the river).

and finally no one cares about ice hockey they can't even get a national TV contract ON CABLE.

SHea Stadium may be the worst baseball stadium ever built. That is why they are tearing it down(and Yankee Stadium too)....

Yankee Stadium is the house that Ruth Built or Bombers Field...but never the big house that is Sing Sing(aka up the river).

and finally no one cares about ice hockey they can't even get a national TV contract ON CABLE.

whut are ya tahkin' aboot, eh? americans love 'ockey. hehehehheeh

hey you are right! i never noticed that about hockey.

Thanks! Price between the two dosen't play a part as I can use my Marriott Rewards.

well lah di dah...mr. fancy pants with the marriott rewards. pretty schwank of you. hehehehehheheheheh

and by the way...Ann Arbor is a "lady of the night" (euphemism for the W word). saw this on a tshirt...thought it was creative.

fitters, is it time to go home yet!!?!?!?!??!?! c'mon buddy...i'm buying the first round.

well lah di dah...mr. fancy pants with the marriott rewards. pretty schwank of you. hehehehehheheheheh

and by the way...Ann Arbor is a "lady of the night" (euphemism for the W word). saw this on a tshirt...thought it was creative.

fitters, is it time to go home yet!!?!?!?!??!?! c'mon buddy...i'm buying the first round.

Hhm....that would be Mrs. Fancy Pants... :p

And you know what? I think it is about quitting time....I'm ready for a cold one! Bring it on!

Hhm....that would be Mrs. Fancy Pants... :p

And you know what? I think it is about quitting time....I'm ready for a cold one! Bring it on!

nothing like a lady tossing back a beer. my wife actually drinks guinness! how about that?!??!

I respectfully disagree. I'm not gonna say Shea is a beautiful park but it's not all that horrible. It's better than, say, Pittsburgh's Three Rivers or Cincinnati's Riverfront, even better than St. Louis's Busch Stadium (the old one). In other words, it's better than the generic, perfectly symmetrical, artificial surface stadiums of yesteryear that are all thankfully gone.

Old Comiskey was worse. The same for Cleveland's Municipal Stadium.

I'd even take Shea over Wrigley. The only reason Wrigley is not criticized as a terrible stadium is for sentimental reasons. If not for the Green Monster, I'd even put Fenway into the same category as Wrigley - an old, sentimental stadium in a neighborhood setting that lives off its historic reputation.

All that said, yes, I'm happy that the Mets are getting a new stadium.

Go, Mets!

Obviously, by my screen name you can tell I am biased. Yankee Stadium is a little bit of history, a must see in NY. And while they are building a new stadium, (saw it going up on our trip to the baseball cathedral 2 weeks ago) they are not tearing down the House That Ruth Built. I heard they intend to use it for HS and exposition games. Good to know. It would be a tragedy to lose it. :( And although I hate the 'Sox like any good Yankee fan, I think it would be a tragedy to tear down Fenway and Wrigley too. All three are pieces of baseball history.

Obviously, by my screen name you can tell I am biased. Yankee Stadium is a little bit of history, a must see in NY. And while they are building a new stadium, (saw it going up on our trip to the baseball cathedral 2 weeks ago) they are not tearing down the House That Ruth Built. I heard they intend to use it for HS and exposition games. Good to know. It would be a tragedy to lose it. :( And although I hate the 'Sox like any good Yankee fan, I think it would be a tragedy to tear down Fenway and Wrigley too. All three are pieces of baseball history.

I agree with you 100%. Although we no longer live in New York I have such fond memories of the stadium. I went there as a yougster with my dad and then many years after moving away from New York went back their with my wife and children. And we have been back several times since and my wife and I will be there in September.

Although I am an avid Yankee fan, I hope to see Fenway Park. Our cruise is going from NYC to Monteal with a stop in Boston and my only disappointment is that the Red Sox are on the road as I would love to have seen a game there. The cruise line offers a tour which included Fenway so we might take that tour just to see the stadium.

Keith

I am pretty sure that the old Yankee stadium will be torn down. They have had structural issues with it over the last 10 years and while they might leave the field the stadium will go. I too think that is a mistake. Shea Stadium was built as both a football field and a baseball field with movable stands to reconfigure it. It never worked well for either. It is by far the ugliest stadium and will not be missed by me. Its is definitely going...to be replaced by a stadium that will approximate ebbet's field.

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1c701c789a0/index.jsp?pageID=mayor_press_release&catID=1194&doc_name=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml%2Fom%2Fhtml%2F2006b%2Fpr294-06.html&cc=unused1978&rc=1194&ndi=1

here is the Government press release. It says it will maintian the achitectural intregity of Yankee stadium that is beauro-speak for moving some of the facade to the new building. It doesn't say the old building will remain and I'll bet you a nathan's hotdog its a goner.

Archived