Any ideas for touring island on my own with a local resident or independent guide.

pinkaboo

I just tried to look up Cameron Reid's website scenicbarbados.com and there is only a page saying "this site has been disabled".

Has anyone been in contact with him this week? Maybe I should try contacting the others like Glory and Boyce?

Something must be very wrong.I had booked with him but have been writing to rebook since the cruise changed my day in Barbados.

I wrote once last week and two or three this week.I am looking elsewhere now.

Glad you posted about his website.I was on it last nite though and it was there.

!!!!!Weird!Thanks.

- that sounds like 320 local dollars (Barbados Dollars) - equivalent to U.S.Dollars 160.

Check which currency you're being quoted in, okay?

Sheesh if my car's a/c was workin a lil better than it is,

I'd jump into this, and give you guys tours you'd never forget!

AMERICAN!!!!

My last contact with him was on July 16th at camireid@yahoo.com.

Personally, I have given up finding a tour for 2 people - everyone charges too high for 2 people since pricing is based on 4 and above. Tour operators should consider the way the tour operators in St. Thomas operate and that is have a tour planned and keep booking folks until full. Most of these tour operators have more than 1 vehicle and could certainly offer that instead of the customers having to come up with their own groups to get affordable pricing before booking.

My last contact with him was on July 16th at camireid@yahoo.com.

Personally, I have given up finding a tour for 2 people - everyone charges too high for 2 people since pricing is based on 4 and above. Tour operators should consider the way the tour operators in St. Thomas operate and that is have a tour planned and keep booking folks until full. Most of these tour operators have more than 1 vehicle and could certainly offer that instead of the customers having to come up with their own groups to get affordable pricing before booking.

hope it is ok to post this--it is half a day

Bajan Sightseeing Tour

S_bathshebaPicture00.jpgbajantrsBajanSightseeingTourMap.gifLet us show you Barbados in half-a-day. Visit the Animal Flower Cave, enjoy the amazing view of the East Coast from Cherry Tree Hill. If you can't take one of our full day tours, this is the perfect half day tour for you. It is truly memorable. *Please wear comfortable shoes for cave.

Departure : 8:30am - 9:30am

Returns : 12:30pm - 1:00pm

Price : US $32.50 (Bds $65.00)

Tour Days : Monday, Thursday and Saturday

Places visited on the tour :

• East Coast
  • Bathsheba Community Centre - Stop
  • Codrington College - Drive By
  • Oistins

Thanks for posting that. I did find that site before and contacted the vendors. One was contracted with NCL and others only operate on certain days and others were much higher than we budgeted for. The one above is in our price range but does not operate on Wednesdays which is the day our ship will be there.

Have you found anything yet?

I would also recommend Bajan Tours, unfortunately I do not remember the cost but the service is excellent ..... and it is very easy to understand what their drivers are saying!

Call Sean at (246) 228 6000, sorry, don't have an e-mail address for them.

do you remember where you went?

Thanks for posting that. I did find that site before and contacted the vendors. One was contracted with NCL and others only operate on certain days and others were much higher than we budgeted for. The one above is in our price range but does not operate on Wednesdays which is the day our ship will be there.

I have found a couple but they dont write back so maybe they are out of business?

I am looking...lol.If you find let me know.

Who are you using in st thomas?

We booked Godfrey-he is great!

For St. Thomas we used Sonny last year but never again. Would definitely use Godfrey. This cruise does not go to St. Thomas in November.

Really-how come---I heard he was good but I like when you pay after the tour or at the tour.

If you want email me...love to chat with you.

- that sounds like 320 local dollars (Barbados Dollars) - equivalent to U.S.Dollars 160.

Check which currency you're being quoted in, okay?

AMERICAN!!!!

Yikes! That's hot.

For 320 U.S.Dollars, I can hire a suitable local vehicle for your day ashore,

meet you at the port, give you a better more educational tour,

return the vehicle after I drop you back at the Port,

and walk away with a hefty profit.

Two of those tours a week and I'm cool!

..hmmm..got me thinking!

I think he's trying to rip you off.

Really-how come---I heard he was good but I like when you pay after the tour or at the tour.

If you want email me...love to chat with you.

We toured with him in April of last year and you paid at the end of the tour. What we did not know was he had 3 vans and we were in the one that he was not driving. This van had one tinny sounding speaker which screeched into our ears anytime the driver spoke. When the music that he is so famous for playing was put on people covered their ears because it sounded so bad coming thru that 1 tinny sounding speaker. When we did get to see Sonny it was at two stopping points, one at Mountaintop and one at a scenic view where 3 van fulls of folks had to try to gather around to hear what he was saying. We had a whole van full of folks who did not want to stay at the beach and the driver that we had this time never said a word all the way back from the beach to the port. We kept seeing Godfrey's customers having a blast and in fact Godfrey is the one who had to call Sunny to have him come over to our ship and get us and Sunny was late in picking us up and getting us after shopping. Nope, I do not recommend Sunny at all.

So now you have to pay in advance? Nope...would not do that.

We toured with him in April of last year and you paid at the end of the tour. What we did not know was he had 3 vans and we were in the one that he was not driving. This van had one tinny sounding speaker which screeched into our ears anytime the driver spoke. When the music that he is so famous for playing was put on people covered their ears because it sounded so bad coming thru that 1 tinny sounding speaker. When we did get to see Sonny it was at two stopping points, one at Mountaintop and one at a scenic view where 3 van fulls of folks had to try to gather around to hear what he was saying. We had a whole van full of folks who did not want to stay at the beach and the driver that we had this time never said a word all the way back from the beach to the port. We kept seeing Godfrey's customers having a blast and in fact Godfrey is the one who had to call Sunny to have him come over to our ship and get us and Sunny was late in picking us up and getting us after shopping. Nope, I do not recommend Sunny at all.

So now you have to pay in advance? Nope...would not do that.

instant message me -or email me at that address--check profile-have someone for you to contact.You may get a good tour.

We used Godfrey on our last visit to St Thomas and were very satisfied. We had been to St Thomas many times, and his tour sounded just like how we wanted to spend our day. He is a very nice man and is very accommodating of his passengers.

If you search this forum you can find lots of info about tours. I know there is Glory Tours (www.glorytours.org) and we used Boyce's tours (www.boycestours.com) a few years ago. We chose Cameron this time because for the 5 of us, he was less expensive and we wanted to customize our tour ourselves. I believe all the pricing for these companies is on their websites, and I'm sure if you just google barbados+tours, you can easily find others.

I just booked with glory tours.I had emailed many tour operators-some I heard about on here and some doing research.I can not tell you how many wrote me back.Maybe many are out of business???I dont know.

Some have given me crazy amounts for very little.

What I like about Sarah from glory tours-she is who I have been dealing with-I have written her repeatedly with questions and she answers them -doesn't get annoyed as some others seemed to to me.

I look forward to my tour and now except for deciding on a beach there-my tours are complete for my cruise.

LOL:)

florida lady

I just booked with glory tours.I had emailed many tour operators-some I heard about on here and some doing research.I can not tell you how many wrote me back.Maybe many are out of business???I dont know.

Some have given me crazy amounts for very little.

What I like about Sarah from glory tours-she is who I have been dealing with-I have written her repeatedly with questions and she answers them -doesn't get annoyed as some others seemed to to me.

I look forward to my tour and now except for deciding on a beach there-my tours are complete for my cruise.

LOL:)

florida lady

That is wonderful news. Congrats! Now you can just sit back and wait for your cruise since planning is done. I am trying to figure out your e-mail addy - I see the first part - but what service .com?

you are lucky you heard from them-i wrote about a few tours and heard nothing!

Floridalady,

Where are you going on your tour with Glory Tours? I am considering their Best of Barbados tour, but it is a bit pricey.

I am going to harrisons caves,bathsheba,east coast,north point,animal flower caves,then drive west coast speightstown to beach of my choice.

I am going to

harrisons caves,

bathsheba,east coast,

north point,animal flower caves,

then drive west coast speightstown

to beach of my choice.

Sounds a logical circle.

With an under-50 taxi driver

(the older ones craawwl and 'drag their feet')

you'll see the middle and north end of the island,

the more scenic bit.

Get started early.

Sounds a logical circle.

With an under-50 taxi driver

(the older ones craawwl and 'drag their feet')

you'll see the middle and north end of the island,

the more scenic bit.

Get started early.

sarah is my driver and she is young and she has been there many times.I feel in good hands.I am so looking forward to it especially after what you told me.Thanks again.

We used Glory Tours last year and it was fantastic. Going to contact Sarah again for this year and request a change or two if she can. We did the Best of Barbados and two of the stops were at the zoo and swimming with the turtles. The zoo is beautiful but you really need several hours there. The 45 minutes allocated on the tour just isn't enough. I'd like to skip the zoo this time and do something else. Although I had a great time swimming with the turtles my wife can't swim so she didn't get off the boat in the deep water. I'd prefer to do a beach this time so she can venture into the water. Hopefully Sarah will be able to acomodate us.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be visiting Barbados in november, we really didn't want to take a ship tour or get a private driver. Does anyone know if there are any tour guides or locals waiting for the ship passengers when they get off the ship to show them the island? When we were in curacao, as soon as we walked off the ship we saw several signs and had several people asking us if we wanted to tour their island for a small fee of $15.00 or $20.00 per person. We decided go tour with a woaman and her daughter and they gave us a fantastic tour. Her Van was air conditioned and there were 5 other people in her van and we were not crowded at all. That's the only type of tour that I am interested doing since we've been to several of the ports many times over. Her tour consisted of sightseeing the island, sighseeing two of the beaches for pitcure taking only, the distillery, the historic area which consisted of Jewish historical area along with the historical slave areas, The tour also consisted of a short stop for shopping and then you could choose to be let off in town or back at the ship. They were very knowledgeable about their island. The entire tour took about 3-4 hours and it was one of the best paid tours i've ever taken. So again, that's the type of tour we're looking to do, something very simple but yet covers all of the basic sights and stops. Any suggesstions or names to look for?

We did the same thing in Jamaica and it still reigns as THE BEST ever tour.

We LOVE meeting people native to the island that live there, nothing like it! I didnt book anything for Jamaica yet we knew a few things we wanted to do and see. We love seeing an island from the point of view of someone that lives there. Wow this man was really great. He first drove us through areas that an average tour wouldnt and we did see some different sides of Ocho Rios- ie: a man whittling a coconut on the side of the road- we stopped, watched him finish and bought it from him. Took pictures of the ship (Voyager of the Seas) from a great vantage point, stopped off at a side of the road shop also hand made items. He took us to Dunn's River Falls and he was there waiting for us when we were done.

We were hungry and asked him to take us to a place with a view and good food and he did (albeit pricey for very average pub type food) but the view made up for it. He waited for us and made sure we were taken care of. For us, it is the best type of tour!! We absolutly love being adventurous and mixing it up with the natives!

Lines_Port_holes_prv.gif

We will be visiting Barbados in november, we really didn't want to take a ship tour or get a private driver. Does anyone know if there are any tour guides or locals waiting for the ship passengers when they get off the ship to show them the island?

Does anyone have an answer to that question ? I also would like to know if there are any guides waiting at the port ?

Take the money that you would spend on a tour guide (generally, the taxi drivers double as guides) and invest in a Fordor’s or Frommer’s written guide that includes the Barbados’ high points.

Then…take the bus!

For US$.75 you can’t go wrong.

Archived