How long to get to Skyway Bridge?

betsyrossapk

I live in near Tampa and never sailed out of Tampa, always other Florida ports. My bucket list is to sail under the Skyway. I've tried to time it to go over the bridge when a ship is going underneath. I came within 20 minutes of doing so once. The new bridge is taller than the original.

When we sailed on the Paradise, we had early dining. Went topside and stood at the base of the whale tail as we went under the bridge. By the time we has passed under it, it was way too late for the MDR. Thought I was taping it on my cell phone but I had hit the wrong button and never did tape it. :mad:

Sunshine Skyway is my favorite bridge of all! The views from up top are awesome. I don't find it scary at all! We sailed under it twice and both times it was around 6-ish.

One thing to remember, the best view is from the front of the ship, there's even a deck area in front of the mini-golf, where you can walk out and get a completely unobstructed view as you come up to and pass under the bridge. But bear in mind, it is VERY windy up there, so if you've already dressed for dinner, wear a scarf or hat or be prepared to go to dinner looking like the wicked witch of the west!

I LOVE the Skyway Bridge, such a beautiful structure. Even the original cantilever bridge was a sight to behold, let alone drive/ride over! I grew up in the Tampa Bay area in 1970s/1980s, moved away for many years and then moved back in 2001. I remember the original bridge disaster in May of 1980, such a tragedy. The north and south portions of the old bridge are now fishing piers that we visit often. The debris from the old central span was used as artificial reefs. Even though I live only 40 minutes from Channelside, I've yet to sail from Tampa. But that will change since hubby and I just booked the Paradise for Oct of this year. Can't wait to experience sailing under the Skyway! If it interferes with dinner time, then dinner will have to wait! A good reason to choose Your Time Dining (of course there's always Lido or room service!) LOL

We’ve never sailed from Tampa before.

Is going under the Skyway similar to going under the Verrazano out of NY?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been under 100's of bridges....what's the fascination? When I go under it, I look up, to make sure nothing is dropping on my head.

Go on Youtube and search for Paradise sailing under the Skyway Bridge. It looks like the whale tail barely misses the bottom of the bridge.