Be XTRA careful in Rio

greatam

In case you haven't heard, the security issues were resolved and the show will go on in Rio.

Keith

They had to bring in a private security force to supplement the police or the judge would not raise the injunction.

The concert is free on the beach in Copa. Some of my business associates from Chile were going to go. Speaking to their associates who live in Rio, they decided not to. Just too dangerous.

From emails I receive from South American business associates, the situation in Rio is just getting worse and worse. The Rio cops have been cracking down on drug dealers and raiding the favelas (which abutt Copa and Leblon). The murder rate is the highest in the world (2068 murders in 5 months). We wanted to have a meeting in Rio in December. None of the South Americans would go. So now it is scheduled for Caracas. Not sure I want to go.

Please understand I am not a fan of the situation in Rio. We were there earlier in the year on a world cruise and where we stopped for Carnaval. I would have been fine to have skipped the port in its entirety because of the crime issues.

It's such a beautiful place though.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
It's such a beautiful place though.

Keith

Have a friend whose wife is from Brazil. When I asked him about Rio, he said it is only beautiful when you look at from certain angle (I suppose he meant from high up with the Bay and the islands et al), but when you go inside, it is dirty, filthy and dangerous. He said it is probably the most dangerous city in the world. What a shame.

I have just come across this posting from the RCL boards talking about Aruba:

Today, 09:32 AM

lucky99 vbmenu_register("postmenu_11036893", true);

Cool Cruiser

Does anyone still boycott Aruba? Did you ever?

Quote:

Originally Posted by time4u2go

I was just curious to know if anybody ever boycotts Aruba because of the Natalie Holloway story. If not now, did you ever?

Jamacia just had a bus load of tourists from a cruise ship get robbed at gun point and I don't think they found the people that did it yet. And if I were you I would not get on a ship that docks in Jacksonville, Florida because we have a lot more unsolved murders of residents and visitors alike to choke a horse, it is dangerous here. Stay away from New Orleans too because there crime rate is through the roof. Oh and when we went to the Panama Canal they told us best to stay near the ship because it was very dangerous there. Oh and in Columbia, we chose to stay on the ship because there was a warning on the internet that said if you are an American Columbia was the place to get kidnapped. Costa Rica, yep, dangerous there too, lots of unsolved crime. And when we docked in Venezuala it was just before the uprising and there was a possibility we would not dock. Bahamas had gotten so bad the cruise ships for a while would no longer dock into the evening hours. They now have what is called the crime against the tourist. They know where their bread is buttered. It happens every where. The parents trying to find their daughter kept it going as I would have had it been my daughter. It is a beautiful port and I would go back.

This is just to put things into context. RIO IS NOT ALONE. I think that we have to accept that the world is a dangerous place and we have to take care anywhere we go.

Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I was just curious to know if anybody ever boycotts Aruba because of the Natalie Holloway story. If not now, did you ever?

Jamacia just had a bus load of tourists from a cruise ship get robbed at gun point and I don't think they found the people that did it yet. And if I were you I would not get on a ship that docks in Jacksonville, Florida because we have a lot more unsolved murders of residents and visitors alike to choke a horse, it is dangerous here. Stay away from New Orleans too because there crime rate is through the roof. Oh and when we went to the Panama Canal they told us best to stay near the ship because it was very dangerous there. Oh and in Columbia, we chose to stay on the ship because there was a warning on the internet that said if you are an American Columbia was the place to get kidnapped. Costa Rica, yep, dangerous there too, lots of unsolved crime. And when we docked in Venezuala it was just before the uprising and there was a possibility we would not dock. Bahamas had gotten so bad the cruise ships for a while would no longer dock into the evening hours. They now have what is called the crime against the tourist. They know where their bread is buttered. It happens every where. The parents trying to find their daughter kept it going as I would have had it been my daughter. It is a beautiful port and I would go back.

This is just to put things into context. RIO IS NOT ALONE. I think that we have to accept that the world is a dangerous place and we have to take care anywhere we go.

There is danger and then there is DANGER (one on one danger, not bombings, war, etc). Rio, Haiti, and a couple places in Africa ARE alone. They are truly, truly dangerous. Even Nuevo Laredo (with running gun battles almost every day) is safer than Rio.

I spend a lot of time in dock/warehouse areas worldwide at night and in the early morning hours. My company delivers perishable items worldwide and most perishables are handled at night so they can arrive first thing in the morning to the end consumer. I am not afraid walking around alone taking care of my business. I have done this for 30 years and have only been robbed once (inside a NYC post office of all places). I am also a 59yo woman.

I AM afraid in Rio. Until 3 years ago, we had an annual perishable meeting in Rio. The South Americans on the committe REFUSE to go to Rio anymore. The police WON'T do anything if there is a problem-in fact, you wonder if they are not part of the problem. I have seen them watch while people's stuff was ripped off.

The disparity between rich and poor in Rio is more glaring than most of South America. The poor live DIRECTLY next door to the rich. Most areas of South America (and the world) are not like that-you have poor areas and rich areas but they are usually separated by a middle area. And drug use has reached epidemic proportions.

The Sheraton in Rio is a perfect example-luxury resort hotel, supposedly private beach. HOWEVER, the Sheraton abuts a very large favela (poor shanty town) and it is the only beach that I have seen worldwide that has an ARMED guard. The armed guard is there to keep the patrons of the Sheraton from being robbed, not to prevent the poor kids from using the beach (would be impossible-there are 100's of kids and maybe one or two tourists).

Rio IS dangerous. Do not wander around alone. Do not wander off the beaten path. Please be careful

Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I traveled all over the US, Canada and

Caribbean. Jacksonville has got to be one of the best cities I have visited. Don't go to the drug areas. And you should be happy. My warning is to stay alert, where ever you go!

Archived