Help Quick! - GTY Suite or CC 6136???

OnlyMe

Here's the thing, we are booked into CC 6136 for our sailing in 3 weeks. I was just checking cabin availability and I see Suite GTY (cat. SS or better) available for about $500 less than the price of a CC.

Now, we have already made final payment so I have two questions:

1. Should we switch to SS GTY??? What would be the worst we could end up wityh? Are there any 'horror' suites that we wouldn't want? Would it be a real sacrafice to lose the balcony if we were assigned a Sky Suite bearing in mind that it will be an Alaska Cruise and last time in Alaska we really loved our Grand Suite with balcony on RCCL Radiance? Would the advantages make up for the disadvantages???

2. Is it even possible to switch now? Is it possible to get a refund if we switched?

To be honest, the $500 is not the be all and end all. It would be nice to have an extra $500 spending money but if the CC is worth the extra then we really don't mind.

Also, really, at the prices for suites, the possibility of us ever booking a suite would be very minimal so this might be the only way to sail in a suite on X .....

Thoughts very much appreciated!!!!

I'd jump on the Suite guarantee before it is gone. You can't do any worse than a Sky Suite. We took the Celebrity Suite to Alaska and loved it. Wonderful views from the floor to ceiling windows.

Susan

Hi OnlyMe !

If it is still available, I would probably go with the Suite GTY, and use the 500.00 for onboard expenses, and shore excursions etc. About the only downside is, for the moment, you wont know what cabin you will be getting. I do not know of any "horror" Sky Suite cabins.

No matter which choice you make, you wont be making a mistake. Good luck !

I have e-mailed my TA to see what the situation would be if we changed, or indeed if we can change at all.

I also looked at the price again and because my TA discounted our cabin we most likely would not get $500 back - probably more like $330 (I 'think' this is the way it would be as opposed to getting the difference of Celebrity's quoted price when we booked originally minus the price of the GTY, if anyone can understand that? - put simply(???) X's CC price when we booked was $X, TA gave us discounted price $Y now GTY suite is price A, am I correct in saying that we'd get back $Y minus $A )

Anyways, in the meantime I put the GTY on hold (don't know whether I should have done that either as now there are no GTY's left but I can release it as soon as my TA gets back to me).

Anyways, I'm getting long winded - sorry!!! We still haven't decided whether to take the GTY suite or not (in the event that we can) - has anyone sailed both CC class AND Celebrity Suite? How did they compare? Any more advice to help convince me???

ALL advice is greatly appreciated!

We stayed in a CC on Infinity for our last trip to Hawaii. Our Cruise Critic group organized a "cabin stroll" so we got to see many other categories. I would DEFINITELY go for the suite guaranty. The cabin is much bigger and the extra amenities in CC weren't special enough to pass up a suite for the same or LESS money. Have a great trip and let us know how it works out.

If you end up with a celebrity suite, remember no balcony. The suite is fantastic, but there are some people that absolutely wont be without a balcony.

Also the sky suites on deck 9 could be noisy. I was only a few cabins forward in a CC and the worst noise ever experienced in a cabin.

Taking both situations in consideration, if it were ME, I would still go with the suite Guarantee..:D

..I'm afraid I'm one of those people who just cannot make a decision - especially in so little time!

My TA has been fantastic - she is contacting X to see if they would waive the change fee - I haven't heard back from her yet but I'm hoping she will be back to me tomorrow. In the meantime I'm going to try to buy a couple of days to decide - I'll phone X in the morning to see if they can 'extend' the hold period until Saturday and by then I should have heard back from my TA and have decided ... hopefully!

We're trying to figure if we would really really miss our balcony if we were assigned a CS and I think the chances of that happening are fairly high because as of now, the only suite available is CS with all the others showing sold out for our sailing. Also, I'm thinking of all the money we would have 'saved' by booking a GTY (as in we would get a REALLY cheap suite so to speak) - I mean a CS is selling for almost TWICE what we would pay for the GTY SS. And then there's the 'chance' we could really luck out and get a RS or even FV etc etc!!! BUT ... would we miss that balcony????????????? That's the major question!

Last time in Alaska, even thoough we sailed in September and it was cold, we used the balcony quite a bit. DH loved sitting out there with his book. And one more thing (no flames please) DH is a smoker so liked having the balcony to get his fix (and no, he never allowed smoke to blow into nextdoors balcony when there was anyone there).

Also, and I swear this is the last of my now rambling - 6136 is one of those 'secret' balconys with a balcony that is double depth.

Rambling finished! If anyone is still reading, I still need HELP!

Thanks all!!!!!

Personally, for LESS than a CC I'd jump on the suite GTY in a second. Even if you don't get the balcony, the CS has those beautiful floor to ceiling windows and a ton of extra space. Totally worth it, IMO.

I don't believe you can be upgraded to FV like you seem to think, though. I believe it's not a suite category.

I wonder what happens if someone books that lone CS, then. What happens in a GTY situation where they can't fill the GTY?

Don't forget, someone in a SS may be upgraded to that/those CS's. Then you could get their SS.

Hey, live dangerously, take a chance, see what happens. It will be much better/bigger inside than 6136. Chances are you will still have a balcony, if not you get to experience an even more expensive suite.

You all did a fantastic job of convincing us to make the switch, thank you! - Just got confirmation from my TA that we are now booked in a SS GTY!!!!! She has been utterly fantastic. Apparently ,when she spoke to X initially re changing, it couldn't be done as the reservation was 'greyed out' (that's what they told her) BUT she didn't let it drop at that and managed to sort it all out so now we're getting ready for the 'suite' life!

Now it's a case of waiting with baited breath to see what cabin X gives us and also do some 'research' on suite 'amenities' :D ! .... Speaking of which .... is there anything I should know??? Any tips for SS and higher??? Can we still get the 'CC' breakfast? I'm thinking that we can?

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!

I went through this same debate just a few weeks ago. I was able to trade up from a CC to a SS gty for a cost of just 200 more. I took it and am glad I did. You will love the size of the cabin, the storage and you still get special perks that come with a suite.

As far as breakfast goes, find a copy of the CC breakfast here on the boards somewhere - Radagast an episodic review has one - make a copy and just write in anything not on your regular menu. Shouldn't be a problem.

We loved our sky suite in Alaska because you could lay in bed and watch the scenery go by. It was great!!

You made the right decision !!

Darrell Duncan

I agree with others that my main concern would be that I end up with a Celebrity Suite that has no balcony. I would not trade my CC for a suite with no balcony. They mean that much to me. The CC suite you have booked has a very large, wonderful balcony. Tough decision. I would probably stay in my CC room unles somehow they could guarantee me not to have the Celebrity Suite. Hope everything works out for you and enjoy your cruise.

Archived