driving time Md to New York

kgerkin

We sail this Friday, July 6th on Carnival Miracle out of New York. It leaves from the Manhattan cruise terminal. We live right outside of Annapolis Md and we are trying to decide what time we should leave. Im not familiar with traffic in New York and especially on a Friday, but can anyone make a suggestion. My husband is saying 6am and I'd rather be early than late but just thought someone here might be able to give some advise.

Karen

its two hours once you get on the NJ Turnpike. It should take you about an hour and a half from Annapolis to the NJ border. If you leave at 6 am you will be there in plenty of time Personally I would leave at 7 so you will be entering NY after the rush hour.

We had a bus to take our group from Seaford, DE 2 weeks ago to the Manhattan terminal. We left at 7:00 am and even with a stop on the NJ turnpike we arrived around 11:30. It takes us just about 2 hrs. to get to the turnpike from our town and should be a little less from Annapolis.

The turnoff to the Manhattan terminal is a little tricky, so be sure to print out directions before you leave. The GPS our bus driver used steered her wrong a couple of times and we still made it with plenty of time.

I printed out directions from the terminals website but I think it used Mapquest..which always makes me nervous. I dont always find mapquest to be totally accurate.

Seems like 7:00 is going to get there in plenty of time. We drove to Bayonne last summer and got there in 4 hours and thats with stopping so I'm guessing Manhattan cruise terminal is not too far from Bayonne.

I always check mapquest by also printing directions from Google Maps. I live in NJ, (around exit 4 on the turnpike), and I'll just add that the traffic into NYC varies widely. There is honestly no way to predict it, so you just have to plan accordingly. From the Delaware Memorial Bridge up to the end of the NJ turnpike takes me between 2 and 2 1/2 hours, without traffic. Just so you know, the traffic around here has been totally out of whack this week (because of the holiday in the middle of the week). You will likely hit some traffic on the turnpike near exit 7A, as this is a popular route to the shore. But if I had to guess, I would imagine that Friday into the city would be lighter than usual. Enjoy the cruise!

I printed out directions from the terminals website but I think it used Mapquest..which always makes me nervous. I dont always find mapquest to be totally accurate.

Seems like 7:00 is going to get there in plenty of time. We drove to Bayonne last summer and got there in 4 hours and thats with stopping so I'm guessing Manhattan cruise terminal is not too far from Bayonne.

I like to use www.randmcnally.com for maps. They seem to be more accurate.

If it was me, I would leave at 6:00 AM just to give yourself lots of extra time should there be any accidents along the way. And, to give yourself the extra time should you hit bad traffic in the city, get lost etc and to park.

Enjoy the cruise.

Keith

If it was me, I would leave at 6:00 AM just to give yourself lots of extra time should there be any accidents along the way. And, to give yourself the extra time should you hit bad traffic in the city, get lost etc and to park.

Enjoy the cruise.

Keith

I agree with Keith. Whenever you are dealing with tunnels and bridges there seems to be extra aggravation. One accident can shut the thing down.(Been there, done that, more than once :eek:) Most likely, traffic will be especially light this Friday going into the city, but better safe than sorry. Bon Voyage.

I went into the Rand McNally map but Im not sure how to write the terminals address. On Carnivals website it's listed as 711 12th Ave at 55th St. New York. How would you write that address in your search?

Karen

I went into the Rand McNally map but Im not sure how to write the terminals address. On Carnivals website it's listed as 711 12th Ave at 55th St. New York. How would you write that address in your search?

Karen

Just put in 711 12th Ave., NY for the destination. It should bring it up without problems.

On Friday July 6th, I suspect that the morning commute will be lighter than normal & there will be more people trying to get out of NYC than into it.

I'd still leave at 6 just so you can stop for potty breaks on the drive up. :o

I just did a roundtrip to NJ during rush hour this evening traffic was unusually light. I waited for less than a minute at the Lincoln tunnel coming back into NY at 7:30 and it was a less than 5 minute wait leaving at 6.

Archived