Dining on the Pacific Dawn

Sorry in advance if this has been asked before, i have been out of the loop for a short time!!

While reading through P&O brochure 2007-2009 I noticed on page 74 it says "Our evening a la carte menu is available in either the main Palm Court dining room or in the bistro style Cafe del Sol" Ok, I know what a la carte means, and buffet, so what do they mean by "bistro" and if its the same menu as the a la carte, is it self service??

Also, on the deck plan on page 78-79 I can see where the Palm Court, cafe del sol, The grill, Bravo Trattoria are, where will the Steakhouse and pizzeria be?? will they be in the lido cafe??

Oh and also, the Grill doesnt have an * next to it, does this mean .....dare I say it......does it have an extra charge?

Thanks in advance to those in the know, or those that dont know but prepared to have a guess:D

Chez

xx

Sorry in advance if this has been asked before, i have been out of the loop for a short time!!

While reading through P&O brochure 2007-2009 I noticed on page 74 it says "Our evening a la carte menu is available in either the main Palm Court dining room or in the bistro style Cafe del Sol" Ok, I know what a la carte means, and buffet, so what do they mean by "bistro" and if its the same menu as the a la carte, is it self service??

Also, on the deck plan on page 78-79 I can see where the Palm Court, cafe del sol, The grill, Bravo Trattoria are, where will the Steakhouse and pizzeria be?? will they be in the lido cafe??

Oh and also, the Grill doesnt have an * next to it, does this mean .....dare I say it......does it have an extra charge?

Thanks in advance to those in the know, or those that dont know but prepared to have a guess:D

Chez

xx

In Guess mode Chez!

Strange when nobody here has cruised on her in the Pacific Dawn format!

Could be wrong on any or all of these:

Bistro to me is like a chalkboard menu. My experience of bistro is a simple menu cooked to order.

Not sure of the secret Pizza & Steak locations, but seems logical that all of the casual dining will be somewhere on the Lido deck.

No charge grill? I wonder if there is a layout error in the book. It reads:

• Casual dining in Bravo Trattoria*

or The Grill
(from 5pm)

• Steakhouse* (from 6:30pm)

The Grill would be a nice name for a steakhouse, and there isn't another listed, and casual dining usually attracts a fee. This might explain a couple of things.

Could this be meant to read:

• Casual dining in Bravo Trattoria* (from 5pm) or
  • The Grill Steakhouse* (from 6:30pm)

Can think up some wilder guesses with a bit more time!

Bon appetite,

Hi Chez

My guess would be (if it was free) the grill is where you get hamburgers etc.

Here is a pretty in depth review I found with lots of photos of the Regal Princess which may answer some of your questions to where the pizza place is etc..

http://www.fortunecity.com/oasis/tropicana/431/RegalPrincess/index.htm

hope this helps

Sue

Crikey am I confused..have to find out for myself when I board RP next month. The current movie theatre is going, maybe a 'pay restaurant going in there.? No doubt the dining arrangements on PD will be a lot different to RP. As you would probably know the RP has the main Palm Court Dining area, the buffet and the Trattoria, plus burger grill. Think that is it, there is no 'Cover charge restaurants such as 'Steakhouse and Sabbatinis, as other Princess ships have. Even Pacific Princess has those.

So eating areas are basic on RP, so any dining changes for PD would be welcomed I reckon. Additional dining capacity would have to made to cater for extra 460 pax on PD, over RP.

Cheers:cool:

The current movie theatre is going, maybe a 'pay restaurant going in there.? Cheers:cool:

NSWP

The "Shark shack" and "Pelican Bay" kids club is going where RP movie theatre is. The old kids club is going to be the "Teen Club"

Karen:)

Thanks for the replies guys, you'll just have to check it out for us Les:D

Karen, I wondered what they were putting in in place of the movie theatre, that makes sense, guess they have to make room for the increase in families that will be cruising as P&O, although no offence to those with little ones, I'd much rather a cinema;) Nothing like sitting at the bottom of the ship, watching a latest release, hearing the ship creaking, feeling the ship rocking!!

Chez

xx

When we were first looking at the deck plans of Pacific Dawn we noticed the movie theatre wasn't there any more, and I emailed P&O to ask them if it would remain or not, since we enjoyed the cinema on Pacific Sky.

P&O emailed me back saying the theatre was being removed and would be replaced by crew storage. (Presumably that's meant to be storage for crew's supplies, not storage of any spare crew they have!:D )

I guess they must have changed their minds and decided it would be better to store the children there instead! :)

Also I saw on a list of specifications for Regal Princess that the maximum number of passengers is 1792.. which means there's only an additional 258 people to find seats for :)

Chez

xx

After looking at the link Sue posted, the Bravo Trattoria is probably where the pizzas are (Is currently named Bravo Pizzeria on Regal Princess).

Also I saw on a list of specifications for Regal Princess that the maximum number of passengers is 1792.. which means there's only an additional 258 people to find seats for :)

Only passenger specs I have seen is 1590. Regal Princess has approx 1792 cabin berths. Something in the numbers, where they sail full, but without all the bunks taken. eg

All the suites & minis have capacity for 3, but many will sail with 2 passengers.

Likely that several of the 4 bunk cabins will sail with 3 in them and there will be single cruisers in twins, balconies & suites as well.

They will have a formula where they figure how many bunks they can expect to have filled when all the cabins are sold.

Have also looked at numbers with Pacific Dawn & Sun Princess.

Stated passenger capacity: Regal 1590, Pac Dawn 2050 increase of 460 passengers, Sun Princess is 1950

No of cabin berths: Regal 1792 (approx), Pac Dawn 2362 (approx), increase of 570 bunks, Sun Princess 2199

% of bunks full when stated capacity is reached:

Regal Princess: 89%

Pacific Dawn: 87%

Sun Princess: 89%

Am pretty sure they have bought some more chairs as well. :D

Cheers,

Talk about a numbers game, geez. Confusing. It is bovious then that they expect a lot of tin lids on PD with the new facilities in ex movie theatre.

As long as they don't forget to put a few more vino glasses on board for PD. No need for anymore beer glasses, we like it straight out of the stubby, well I do..not out of a can though, stubby or glass for me.

Cheers.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Yay it worked Jarrod!

How nice does all that sound, I so hate being a Libra, I can just never make up my mind, if this menu is anything to go by this is not going to make things anything easier. But do know I shall stick to Seasonal fruit for dessert, or will have to pack wire coathanger to do zipper up on jeans on last day to come home!

Though this certainly doesn't look like the Bistro menus we are used to here which as Geoff said are usually relatively simple cooked to order meals Pub and club style, ie steaks, pastas, fish.

Is that BISTRO menu from Regal Princess ? Tell me. 7pm to 4am, crikey I can have a late snack at 3am, thats after 5 courses in the Palm Court dining room at second sitting. I feel the kilos coming on already.

Stop press..just checked out Cafe del Sol whatever on RP, that bistro is open 7pm - 4am with 3 course menus. Hope that facility is still on PD for you guys.

Cheers..Les:)

Is that BISTRO menu from Regal Princess ? Tell me. 7pm to 4am, crikey I can have a late snack at 3am, thats after 5 courses in the Palm Court dining room at second sitting. I feel the kilos coming on already.

Cheers..Les:)

Yes Les, it is from the Regal Princess. The menu is a few years old, but will give you and idea of what is available.

Wouldn't it be great if they kept it on the PD??:)

Thanks Jarrod you are a mine of info, keep it up.

Reading some of the P&O foodie threads, I notice they charge like $10 for oysters/lobsters on Pacific Sun/Star, little bit rich I reckon..surely they can include those dishes for no charge. I have never seen Oysters on Carnival/Princess ships but lobster appears every 3 or 4 days in the main dining room, many as you like, no extra charge.

Cheers:cool:

Archived