Disembarkation-carry off own luggage?

fantavet

I only sailed once before where I didn't use air travel to get to and from the ship. I can't remember what I did :rolleyes:

I know you are always told to put out your luggage the night before. But I'm leaving the port directly. Majesty-Boston.

Do you put your luggage out regardless of travel arrangements or is it easier just to carry if off if you are leaving directly from port?

The only way you should carry your own luggage is if you decide to do Express Debarkation. It's an option offered if you can carry all of your things yourself, and they're the first people off the ship. Do that one if you need to be off early. Otherwise, put your luggage out the night before (there will be a cutoff time) then when your color is called the next morning you take your carryon with you, debark, and find your luggage waiting for you off the ship, then it's on through Customs. Have a good time. :)

Thanks Heelfan,

Trust me, I'm in no rush to get off the ship! I'll let NCL pick up the luggage then, sounds like the way to go.

That's the right attitude! You don't even have to rush when your color is called, that's just your first opportunity to get off the ship. Sleep in a little and enjoy a nice breakfast before you return to cold, hard world. ;) :)

The only way you should carry your own luggage is if you decide to do Express Debarkation. It's an option offered if you can carry all of your things yourself, and they're the first people off the ship. Do that one if you need to be off early. Otherwise, put your luggage out the night before (there will be a cutoff time) then when your color is called the next morning you take your carryon with you, debark, and find your luggage waiting for you off the ship, then it's on through Customs. Have a good time. :)

Actually this is not true. We always carry off our own luggage and we don't do Express Debarkation. If you are willing to lug it yourself and it is not so big that it causes a problem - they don't care if you carry it off yourself. We have back-packs and fairly small rolling suitcases.

Actually this is not true. We always carry off our own luggage and we don't do Express Debarkation. If you are willing to lug it yourself and it is not so big that it causes a problem - they don't care if you carry it off yourself. We have back-packs and fairly small rolling suitcases.

Not to split hairs, but my words were "The only way you should carry your own luggage is if you decide to do Express Debarkation."

I was only offering my opinion of what the OP should do, not what NCL allows. I would never voluntarily carry all of my things off the ship doing regular debarkation. I'm guessing you do that so you won't have to look through the rows of luggage waiting off the ship. :)

Not to split hairs, but my words were "The only way you should carry your own luggage is if you decide to do Express Debarkation."

I was only offering my opinion of what the OP should do, not what NCL allows. I would never voluntarily carry all of my things off the ship doing regular debarkation. I'm guessing you do that so you won't have to look through the rows of luggage waiting off the ship. :)

Sorry I missed the "should". Our regular suitcases are about the size of many people'es carry-ons and our packs are day-packs. I definitely would not recommend what we do to anyone with some of the GIANT suitcases I have seen,

Sorry I missed the "should". Our regular suitcases are about the size of many people'es carry-ons and our packs are day-packs. I definitely would not recommend what we do to anyone with some of the GIANT suitcases I have seen,

Goodness, no apology is necessary. I do that all the time. I'm getting better about packing lighter. Do you pack all of your stuff for one week in those cases and packs?

Goodness, no apology is necessary. I do that all the time. I'm getting better about packing lighter. Do you pack all of your stuff for one week in those cases and packs?

Yes we manage pretty well. I got into the habit of packing lightly years ago when I was back-packing through Europe.

Really depends upon how many and how heavy your bags are.

I'm a strong believer that if you have more than two bags per person (one for each hand), you shouldn't carry your own bags.

But I have seen trains of roll around bags with other bags tied to them during express disembarkation. Can you visualize four to six bags tied together going down the gangplank (ramp)? As soon as they have to turn a corner the whole train falls apart. :eek:

These passengers would be much better off letting the crew and porters handle their bags!

The early morning air fares are so much lower you'll be surprise how much trouble some go through attempting to catch them. It's far better to spend a few extra bucks for air, enjoy your morning aboard the ship, and get to the airport later. Why rush on the last day of your vacation? ;)

I agree with Electricon. The last thing I want to do after a nice cruise is hurry off the ship. I always book a late flight and if I have to spend a couple of hours at the airport I get a cup of coffee, take out my laptop and catch up on my e-mail. :D

• 8 years later...

We are planning on carrying ("rolling") off our own luggage (1 per person) so do we HAVE to leave with that first group of early disembarkers?

I am asking because first of all, I don't know what time to tell my sister to pick up us at port. Schedule says we arrive back in port at 8am so I'm just wondering what time to tell her to be there? If we must disembark with our own luggage at the required time, which will be earlier than the rest, does anyone know approximately how long that will be once we arrive back at port, (30 minutes after arrival; 1 hour; right away, etc)??

Last cruise we drove ourselves so it wasn't an issue with telling someone when to pick us up.

Thanks.

There is usually a must be off the ship time. Often 10 or 10:30, but they ask that you get out of your cabin by 8 - 9 - the rooms need to be cleaned and done up for the next cruise. Not fair to hold up the cleaning process so you can stay in your room for an extra hour.

I take my carry on with me and often go sit in the library with a coffee and relax and walk off when the ship is not so crowded.

You can have people meet you anytime you want at the pier - it often takes up to an hour to walk off and go through customs, but sometimes they surprise you and it is very quick and you are curbside in 30 minutes.

The usual is to clear your cabin by 9am and the ship by 10am. We usually carry our own, a backpack, a roller and two small pieces of hand luggage. Normally we join the queue when we are ready, we try to join just before they call the next coloured tabs!! When the line is moving normally it is not a long wait.

But beware if there is a hold-up as we had in Quebec a couple of months ago!! :mad: It took two and a half hours to get off as they were only letting one person at a time down the ramp as it was at a very steep angle.

Mike