Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cindy: I needed the TA's help this morning with the paperwork for our cruise in January. He was very "on top of everything", I'm glad. I could have contacted Carnival myself but I let him do it!

Bottom line....I had to contact Guest Access Support myself [any way] to find out about the darn form they're asking for us to complete and the $23.00 for getting it. Apparantly, it's the Agricultural Inspection Form and my Vet has them. And, it's the same form that we've been using for her past 12 cruises. I guess not all Vets have these forms....it's sure nice to have a Vet who has them.....makes the process so much simpler!

Their instructions were so dang complicated. I always use the same form and the same documentation and have NEVER been stopped or questioned. [Another reason to stick with Princess, they've got Brenda down to a science!] I had no idea what some of you have been going through. It's worth it to check with your Vet and see if he/she has these forms or not! It certainly makes traveling to foreign countries a lot easier.

When I explained it to Guest Access Support person she said that it's special licensing that the Vet has to be able to fill out these forms after checking the dog. Who knew!!!!

I pretty much do my own leg work for cruising and may not use a TA in the future.......we'll see. If I'm offered good OBC's I'll continue, if not.....I'm on my own!

I also asked about the filler for the pottybox and was told that it would be "paper pellets." We're definitely bringing along some astroturf to cover the stuff. Brenda hates it! I told the woman in Access Support about the pellet problem [and, that Princess is NOT using it anymore].....she said she would look into it! :mad:

SLOW, SLOW, that's what these deparments are. We've been telling them about it for years......When will they "get it?" I guess I'll have to cruise them more to get it right!!!!!!

They will place the pottybox on our veranda......we'll see!

Hi Everyone. I am off to pick up my special little guy tomorow. Then off to visit at the Children's Hospital and one night stay at the house. Hopefully crate sleeping will go better. My daughter and husband are so excited because they are going to the "U-2" concert tomorow. "Khaki" and I will have fun tossing stuffed animals around and snuggling. I figure when they get in late, it will be a good time to take him our for a potty run!. He is only staying one night, due to my work schedule. Next week he is spending 5 nights here, so he and Sandy(resident house dog and dog in chief" can due some bonding.

I asked his trainer want she wants me to work on, besides basics and she said, retrieving stuffed animals. OK, we call that "toss the teddy" in our house so I imagine we can do that. Don't tell her but "Teddy Tossing" is a regualr activity here. LOL.

DKD, We go back Feb 5th for recertification, do you have a date when you have to go?

Roz, When we were getting "Cujo" last year, I had checked with our vet and he does do the certificate we need. We were very happy because as you said not all vets are allowed to do that. John has told HAL that we want some type of mulch in our box. Wexy is used to going on that cuz they have that at CCI and we have it around here. He figures its easier to pick up poop on that. We have a cabin in the front of the ship and outside our door is 2 hatches leading out to a deck in the front of the ship. We have asked they put the potty box there. Only thing with that is that i'll be the only one able to take him potty. The deck is kinda small for a potty box and us, so we figure this would be a good solution.

Sunshine, Love the Milk Bone commercial for Canine Assistants!!!!

Cindy

DKD, We go back Feb 5th for recertification, do you have a date when you have to go?

Cindy,

We don't have a date yet but I would think it would be the same. If I remember, we only had one choice last year. And just so you know, the

recertification test in the mall is a whole lot easier than it was for the

certification. :D

Cindy,

We don't have a date yet but I would think it would be the same. If I remember, we only had one choice last year. And just so you know, the

recertification test in the mall is a whole lot easier than it was for the

certification. :D

I love this......When we went to the workshop in Oceanside, a few months ago, those of us who were up for recertification got to be recert'd. just by attending the workshop......talk about easy.

The instructors would observe each of us at various workshop areas/walking/toileting and while eating lunch.....unless there was some really overt mistake or a dog acting badly, you go recertified.....they sent it in the mail. Loved it!!!!! No stress, no taking anymore time off work, no special appointments!

Kathy, this is what happens when you spread yourself too thin. I thought I had told everyone the outcome......Well, he offered me $30 instead of the $60 he had initially offered. He whined and complained and reiterated....totally backpeddling.....that he didn't think he had done anything wrong but that he would be happy to meet me half way. He applied the $30 as a "discount" to my final cruise confirmation.

I feel so fortunate to be able to cruise in light of our economy and in consideration of just how many folks lives are turned upside down because of it. I don't want to be in the "complainer camp" any longer.

I use this TA because he works with the special needs department of the cruiselines and is the "only" person in his agency who can help me with cruising with Brenda. I may change agency's in the future.

Thanks for asking!

Roz, I just found this out from my PVP at Carnival. Anyone with service animals or anyone who has special needs can call Carnivals Special Needs and get the same help that any TA would give you. All of the cruise lines that Carnival owns has these departments. Like my PVP said, they are the ones that the TA calls to set everything up. I think that is what I am going to do the next time I cruise with Missie. She said that these departments work very closely with the ship to make sure that everything you need or anything the service animal needs is taken care of. Just thought you would like to know this. Can't wait to meet you, we only have 95 days or to make it seem shorter, 13 weeks. :D :D :D

Edited by Chacooe

Roz, I just found this out from my PVP at Carnival. Anyone with service animals or anyone who has special needs can call Carnivals Special Needs and get the same help that any TA would give you. All of the cruise lines that Carnival owns has these departments. Like my PVP said, they are the ones that the TA calls to set everything up. I think that is what I am going to do the next time I cruise with Missie. She said that these departments work very closely with the ship to make sure that everything you need or anything the service animal needs is taken care of. Just thought you would like to know this. Can't wait to meet you, we only have 95 days or to make it seem shorter, 13 weeks. :D :D :D

Kathy, please come-up and introduce yourself to me.....you'll know who I am [so obvious]. I look forward to it! :)

And, you're so right about calling the cruiselines directly. I do most of the set-up and paperwork, for Brenda, myself, with them anyway!

I've been falling for their great prices and OBC's......I like getting the extra $$$$$$ to buy stuff and, I love the professional pictures of Brenda and always buy them. The money I get from the TA helps when the final bill comes. But, I'm sure there are lots of agency's that would be happy to have my "constant" business!

Sea you soon!

Roz

I will NOT microchip Brenda. She's almost 10, has a tattoo in her ear [done by CCI], always wears her collar with all information on it. I keep extra information in the glove compartment of my car [forms are gotten from IAADP] and in my refrigerator, at home. I have a sticker on my window [car and home] alerting the public and medical service people that I have an SD and her information is in the fridge. They're great for letting the public know that she's a Service Dog and to treat her differently than a pet!

That's your choice, but she won't be able to travel with you to the places that require a microchip. Microchips are better than tattoos and tags which can be modified/covered up/fade or can fall off/be taken off. You can put on your microchip record that your dog is your SD, too. Age isn't an issue, if that's what you're wondering; a dog can be microchipped at any age.

Be very careful with immunizations/vaccines on a "senior dog", they will ALWAYS need Rabi's Vaccine but some of the other's are no longer necessary and, sometimes can be too much for their systems to absorb. Always ask your Vet and make sure the person doing the innoculations knows the age of your dog.

Like I said, I titer instead of vaccinate. Everybody should do that with their pets and SDs. It is safer for your dog, as over-vaccination can cause illness and a shorter life. I don't give vaccines we don't need (like Bordetella) or that aren't reputable (like Lymes). We do need the Lepto one for the Bahamas every year; that one does last only one year, according to this country's leading vaccination expert, Dr. Dodds (I asked her myself). Oh, and of course we have to give the rabies vaccination every three years, unfortunately - you have to do that regardless of whether or not you travel, since it is required by law in our state (and other states).

If/when you do have to vaccinate, like for a puppy and boosters, stay away from those combination vaccines! Do single vaccines spaced out a couple of weeks from each other for the best interest of your dog (whether a pet or SD). This will help keep his health in good shape. It may cost more (if your vet charges you for each session), but it will be worth it to have a healthy dog who lives for a long time. :)

I am also looking for some grass to "roll-up" and take with us [and, then leave behind when we cruise.] The stuff we're using on our patio, now, is very expensive [it's been there for over a year and a half and looks like new and cleans so easily-I bought it from "In the Company of Dogs..online] I wouldn't buy it for this use.

Yeah, that stuff is expensive! Glad to know it works well, though.

Anyone have a good connection for the right stuff.....not "astroturf", [this would never clean-up easily] but the faux grass that has been antibacterial treated and is reasonably priced would be perfect?

This is the site I found, though I have not tried their grass or made an inquiries yet about it (since I have been busy with other things): http://www.synlawn.com/ They have many different types of grass, several of which are antibacterial for doggy use. If you try it, let us know how it is!

The potty area is the biggest stress for us when cruising. After the issues last time, I am scared to try going without taking something with me. I am hoping to find something before we cruise again

Same here. That's what I am looking to do. And not only because of the issues I had, but because of the issues others also have had and posted on here!

Cindy: I needed the TA's help this morning with the paperwork for our cruise in January. He was very "on top of everything", I'm glad. I could have contacted Carnival myself but I let him do it!

So glad your TA is back to doing things right after I read your thread in the Carnival forum!

Bottom line....I had to contact Guest Access Support myself [any way] to find out about the darn form they're asking for us to complete and the $23.00 for getting it. Apparantly, it's the Agricultural Inspection Form and my Vet has them. And, it's the same form that we've been using for her past 12 cruises. I guess not all Vets have these forms....it's sure nice to have a Vet who has them.....makes the process so much simpler!

Their instructions were so dang complicated. I always use the same form and the same documentation and have NEVER been stopped or questioned. [Another reason to stick with Princess, they've got Brenda down to a science!] I had no idea what some of you have been going through. It's worth it to check with your Vet and see if he/she has these forms or not! It certainly makes traveling to foreign countries a lot easier.

Yes, PLEASE never pay for an int'l health certificate form! If your vet is USDA approved (as they need to be to fill out the form), they will have these forms and they are included in the cost of the exam for getting them! You can find Web sites online that will try to sell you the forms, too, but that's just silly. Not all vets are USDA vets, so that's why not all vets will have the form. Those who aren't can't fill out the form, so there's no need for them to have them. At my vet office there are two USDA-approved vets and the others are not USDA-approved. One of the two appoved vets will always be working (though when I travel around holidays I always make my appointment months in advance to be sure I don't affect the vets' holiday plans).

(Note: This is different from getting the certificate stamped/signed by the USDA office, which some countries require, but not any that I've been to or am planned to be going to within the next year. In the case of those countries, your USDA-approved vet fills out the form which you then take or send to the closest USDA office which certifies the form and sends it back to you. It sounds complicated!)

I pretty much do my own leg work for cruising and may not use a TA in the future.......we'll see. If I'm offered good OBC's I'll continue, if not.....I'm on my own!

You'd likely do fine on your own. I use a TA for these group trips (and she's my best friend), but otherwise I do things myself (or a family member or friend does some of it, if I'm not going solo).

I also asked about the filler for the pottybox and was told that it would be "paper pellets." We're definitely bringing along some astroturf to cover the stuff. Brenda hates it! I told the woman in Access Support about the pellet problem [and, that Princess is NOT using it anymore].....she said she would look into it! :mad:

SLOW, SLOW, that's what these deparments are. We've been telling them about it for years......When will they "get it?" I guess I'll have to cruise them more to get it right!!!!!!

They will place the pottybox on our veranda......we'll see!

I'm going on Carnival this time, too, so will DEFINITELY be bringing something so we don't have to use those evil paper pellets!! I saw a bag of those things at Petco the other week and I can definitely see why Brenda had such a bad time with them! :(

What form(s) have you completed for Carnival as far as special needs goes? I have only gotten one one-page form from them so far and it had no mention of service animals, so I just wrote it in on the little place they had to write in things that weren't included on the form. My TA is going to call in another day if she hasn't yet heard back from them about anything else. Royal Caribbean had a better form. Though the form's potty specs did NOT reflect what they actually gave us! :mad:

[/b][/color]

I'm going on Carnival this time, too, so will DEFINITELY be bringing something so we don't have to use those evil paper pellets!! I saw a bag of those things at Petco the other week and I can definitely see why Brenda had such a bad time with them! :(

What form(s) have you completed for Carnival as far as special needs goes? I have only gotten one one-page form from them so far and it had no mention of service animals, so I just wrote it in on the little place they had to write in things that weren't included on the form. My TA is going to call in another day if she hasn't yet heard back from them about anything else. Royal Caribbean had a better form. Though the form's potty specs did NOT reflect what they actually gave us! :mad:

Quam: I received a "welcome" letter which specifically states: "Carnival Cruise Lines only permits service/working animals onboard; a working/service animal is legally defined and is trained to meet the disability related need. We DO NOT allow guests to sail with pets, therapy/companion animal, or service animals in training."

This certainly answers the question that some have about therapy or puppies in training dogs.

Attached to this letter is a form which states all their rules for the service dog and must be signed by you; relieving Carnival of any respsonsibility for the dog or any damage that the dog may cause, including injuring another passenger and if your dog causes any disturbance it may be denied passage on any future Carnival Cruise ship......Please....they should have passengers that behave as well as these service dogs!

Anyway, you MUST sign and affirm your signature with a date and fax it back to them.

I also fax'd the Department of Food and Agriculture form along with her Certification [from CCI], City License and Vet Receipt for recent medical exam visit.

I make two copies of all of the above documentation...*One to keep in my purse; *one to give to the folks at registration [it definitely speeds-up the process, you don't have to wait for them to make a copy.]

Quam: I received a "welcome" letter which specifically states: "Carnival Cruise Lines only permits service/working animals onboard; a working/service animal is legally defined and is trained to meet the disability related need. We DO NOT allow guests to sail with pets, therapy/companion animal, or service animals in training."

This certainly answers the question that some have about therapy or puppies in training dogs.

Attached to this letter is a form which states all their rules for the service dog and must be signed by you; relieving Carnival of any respsonsibility for the dog or any damage that the dog may cause, including injuring another passenger and if your dog causes any disturbance it may be denied passage on any future Carnival Cruise ship......Please....they should have passengers that behave as well as these service dogs!

LOL, seriously! All the human passengers should sign that for themselves! :p

That's not the form I got. Maybe they will send it after my TA speaks with them in another day or so. Though, it seems like it is something that could be signed on the day the cruise starts if need be. (It isn't something the vet needs to sign or something, in other words.)

Anyway, you MUST sign and affirm your signature with a date and fax it back to them.

I also fax'd the Department of Food and Agriculture form along with her Certification [from CCI], City License and Vet Receipt for recent medical exam visit.

I make two copies of all of the above documentation...*One to keep in my purse; *one to give to the folks at registration [it definitely speeds-up the process, you don't have to wait for them to make a copy.]

I won't have that 'til a day or two before the cruise, since the Bahamas requires it within 48 hours of departure, so they will get it on cruise day. Yeah, copies are good to make. Royal Caribbean took forever to make copies when I was waiting to get on the ship and then they apparently didn't even make enough copies because they called me later during the cruise to ask if the purser could come up to get the papers from me so they could make more copies! :rolleyes: I guess they forgot how many ports they were going to or something, I don't know.

Thanks for your info.!

Roz,

Valentine and I have traveled with Carnival so much that when she arrives in Rome this week they are to have a special platinum card just for her. LOL We will be on a b tb cruise and David and I won't be platinum until the 2nd week but miss Valentine gets hers right away. Hmmmmm I wonder if she will let me use her benifits? Last year on Carnival Freedom they did give her a solid gold ship on a stick for being the hardest working dog on board,.

This year we will be leaving on Monday for our btob cruise. Can't wait. Valentine does have a microchip but I really don't think that I 'd do it again. I think a tat is much better. Her chip tends to travel ( not dangerous yet but can be.)

Other than the problem with the potty box abd pellets you shoiuldn't have any problems. The staff is very friendly just sometimes a little too happy to have a dog on board.

All I have ever done so far is fill out the paperrwork that they sent me fill out the one page they send the fax the shot records and the large agruculture papers.

Hope to see you aboard sometime.

Now getting a h/a room is another matter all together.

:confused: What ship are you going on, on Monday. We are going on the Dream next month, and was wondering about the liter box, and where they might put it on this ship.

Have a great trip.

Hi giggleykim

We will be on the Dream doing a Med cruise then staying on for the T/a crossing into NYC As for the potty box they use the dreaded paper pelletts it's called Second Nature by Purina. Valentine has used it since we got her so she doesn't mind. However she is a small 10 lb dog not a large 50 lb lab with webbed feet. The box is 4x4 wooden and usually placed on an outside deck that is not often used. You can have it put on your balcony if you wish, I keep Valentine's in my bathroom as her's is the size of a cat box. Just ask if you have any other questions if I can't help someone else on this board will gladly help. We are all friends and welcome you to our group.:D

When I take Missie, I just use Chux bed pads for her to do her business on, them I drop the tiny poop in the toilet and throw it away. Missie only weighs 3 lbs so this is perfect for her. Here is a picture of my Missie,

Sparkles2.jpg

This is one dog that love to travel and when she sees me pull out my suitcases she knows it is time to go somewhere, but what is really cute is when I pull hers out, she just runs in her little circles until I close her suitcase, then she starts this little whimpering, kinda of like she is telling me, "Well mom I am all packed let get a move on here, no more dillying or dallying around." Some people think I am crazy to have a suit case just for Missie, but I carry everything in there for her and that way it is not in my suitcase. I keep hers right with me that way I don't have to worry about it getting lost.

Funny thing, the day after I posted my last post, Carnival sent my TA the two pages that Roz mentioned getting. So, now I just have to fax back the second sheet (just something you sign and date and put your booking info. on) and I have to fax the Bahamas permit (I guess I will make a shrunken photocopy of it to fax since it is legal size and not letter size) and rabies certificate (just got the new one [and rabies tag] for the next twelve months). After my service dog's annual vet exam coming up, when I get the titer results I will fax those as well. They said something about faxing the health certificate, but I won't get that 'til the day before I leave for the cruise, so I'm not sure why they ask for that if it likely won't even make it to the ship (unless they fax or e-mail it onto the ship from their offices or something).

I saw on the paper that it says if you don't want to use paper pellets, you must bring your own substance/surface that you do want to use. No way will I be using the paper pellets - I think my dog will hate them, I don't want her going on paper, I don't want to clean up in the paper pellets, and I think they'd get stuck in her paws (her breed has webbed feet) and be painful, too. So, I'll be doing my own potty box. I just need to get going on making it. I know exactly what I want to do for it, just need to figure out the specifics....

First: Bon Voyage to all of you who are going to cruise soon or on your cruises......May your skies be blue and your sea be gentle.

Barbara: Have a fantastically wonderful time.....Please come back and tell us all about the cruise and how Valentine did. I love that Valentine is such a frequent cruiser. She and Brenda could go off on their own and know more than most of us!!!!

Kathy: "Missie" is so cute....I'd have a very had time not picking her up and playing with her. You must have a tough time convincing folks to leave her alone!

Quam: When is Carnival going to "get it!" We ALL HATE THE PELLETS....and, they're not necessary or needed. There are better choices, "HELLO"; "just contact some of your sister companies and ASK!"

Second: Our neighbors were laying down artificial turf on their front lawn....I asked if I could have a 5x5 cutting, and I'd be willing to pay for it......they gave it to me.....I'm so excited. It rolls-up very nicely and looks just like the piece I bought from "In The Company of Dogs", for over $140.00.

It's going onboard with us. I'm just going to leave it [it was free]....unless, somehow I can get it hosed off for our last morning disembarkation. Then, I could take it with us on every cruise.......Cleaning it off [just the urine] is the main issue. I'm going to let the ship lay down whatever they'd like...I'll just lay the grass on top of their litter. I'll clean the pooh, but the urine is my concern.

I thought about placing it in the shower and washing it there......what do you think? It dries very quickly....that the amazing part about this stuff.

Geezz! I wish the cruiselines would invest in it. They have someone cleaning the area that we use and filling the box......it would be so much easier and, I think more hygienic, if they'd invest in the artificial stuff. ALL the dogs would love it!!!!

Hi all, I have a few questions,

1. Does anyone have info on taking the dog to..St Thomas, Puerto Rico, or Grand Turk?

2. Any info on the dog getting seasick?

3. Any info on the dog drinking the water on the ship?

4. Anyone have some terrific travel bowls they bring with them? (most

of the ones i've seen aren't that great)

5. Anyone bring a dog bed with them? We have something called "the dog hog" it's a thin bed that rolls up.

Any other helpful hints would be much appreciated.

Cindy

1. Does anyone have info on taking the dog to..St Thomas, Puerto Rico, or Grand Turk?

2. Any info on the dog getting seasick?

3. Any info on the dog drinking the water on the ship?

of the ones i've seen aren't that great)

5. Anyone bring a dog bed with them? We have something called "the dog hog" it's a thin bed that rolls up.

Any other helpful hints would be much appreciated.

Cindy

Cindy,

We didn't need any paperwork for St. Thomas.

Orson never had a problen with being seasick or with the water on the ship.

We have a travel bowl that stands up on it's own so it works pretty good.

Orson slept on the bed with our daughter.

Hope this helps a little.

Mornin' all:

I have the week off for Fall Break. Never heard of such a thing, but am up for it. I needed some time off. We also get 2 weeks at Christmas and then 2 weeks at Spring Break. Unfortunately those dates are also the most expensive for cruising! Maybe I can catch up with some of the threads here at CC.

Everyone have a great week.

Nancy

Cindy,

We didn't need any paperwork for St. Thomas.

Orson never had a problen with being seasick or with the water on the ship.

We have a travel bowl that stands up on it's own so it works pretty good.

Orson slept on the bed with our daughter.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks DKD. What kind of bowl do you have??

Nancy, John had a few days off this week. I never heard of fall break. But I wouldn't complain. John is lucky that his school is very flexible about him going on trips. We never go on any school vacations. Always after or before. We used to go in April, now we have changed to January. No kids and nice and quiet!

Cindy

Edited by rangeley

Cindy;

I agree. I have my pay check averaged out so I get paid every 2 weeks whether I am there or not. The checks are smaller, but at least I know that money is coming in. We love to cruise in the fall. Now, having custody of 6 year old grandson the issue is "Will it hurt him missing school?" He is doing fantastic. He got student of the month last month and we are very proud of him. We just need to keep up the momentum. His mother and uncle didn't do so well in staying in school and we definately do not want him to follow the same path..........

Nancy

Thanks DKD. What kind of bowl do you have??

Cindy

Not sure of the brand but it's made out of a blue nylon. It's round and the sides stay up. It also came with a food bowl made the same way. It worked out well because we could leave it out in the cabin so Orson could get a drink while we were in there.

1. Does anyone have info on taking the dog to..St Thomas, Puerto Rico, or Grand Turk? We had no problem in St. Thomas or Puerto Rico, I've never been to Grand Turk. Just be aware of strays. You may not see any, hopefully! Carry all of Wexler's papers with you, along with your Passport or copies thereof!

2. Any info on the dog getting seasick? In 12 cruises and long, long road trips....she's NEVER gotten sick. How did Wex do on his road trip home? That's a pretty good clue.....cars move more than ships do [usually].

3. Any info on the dog drinking the water on the ship? The drinking water on the ship is more purified than most bottled water [although Morey still brings his own bottled water] it's not necessary.

of the ones i've seen aren't that great) I bought a plastic /sectioned bowl. It's very light and fits in my suitcase [it's a bit smaller than her normal bowl but it's perfect.

5. Anyone bring a dog bed with them? We have something called "the dog hog" it's a thin bed that rolls up. I always get a cabin with a couch and Brenda sleeps there but once we brought a sheepskin bed [i rolled it up, tied a ribbon around it and shlepped it with us.] In hotels/ships that don't have a couch she sleeps with PaPa. [she won't sleep with me....]

Any other helpful hints would be much appreciated. Don't forget his favorite toy...Brenda has a black dog [Maggie] and a squeaky squirrel, we bring them both. We also bring a few tennis balls for playing in a deserted lounge [she's lost a few overboard...when she carried them in her mouth to the outside Promenade Deck and literally dropped them in the ocean.] I don't let her carry them outside anymore!

Have a wonderful time! Wait til you see Wex wafting his nose in the sea air......it's glorious!

Don't forget to look for people in darkened theatres and lounges.....they're not expecting a dog and Wexler is black and not easy to see. Brenda's tail got run over by a wheelchair, I have never heard her cry like that......it was awful!

Cindy

You're going to love cruising with your dog........