Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

This is so funny.....I forgot about this.....This could be a thread all by itself - "What are some of the funniest things your Working Dog is called?"

The most frequent for me is: "Look, its a blind dog!"

I love the "fire dog!"

The funniest that I can think of is when an Autistic kid thought "service dog" meant I was training the dog to be a Secret Service dog! It was very cute!

I frequently get ppl thinking I'm blind and my mobility dog is a guide dog, so I often hear parents telling their kids, "That dog is helping that woman see," or somesuch thing. :rolleyes: I've also heard the "blind dog" thing. And I've had restaurant servers not give me a menu and employees at other places describe things to me.

My brain is dead right now, so I can't think of anything else, but I know there have been more funny things I've heard.

Hi guys

been a while I posted about the health certs and never checked back sorry we sailed away LOL Our disney cruise was amazing as usual and very great accomidations were made for Denver and I - NOW someone tell me if Carnival is good for a 7 night mexican riv ? I want to go again in Dec 2011 but for what I pay for 1 on disney 2 can sail on carnival plus disneys ship shurts everything down at midnight really 10 pm no food etc all night - are there buffets all night on carnival ? I herd there are

Glad you had a good cruise!

I've done two Carnival cruises and there is lots to do late at night. (Wow, that stinks about Disney shutting everything down at midnight!! I just would love to try that new watercoaster on their new ship, though! Doubt I'll ever go on it, though.) The pizza place is open 24/7 (if you don't like the pizza much - some do, some don't - you can always doctor it up with the jars of seasonings on the pizza counter: crushed red pepper, grated parmesan cheese, and an herb or herb mix). I think some parts of the buffet are also open 24/7. The dance club doesn't get hopping 'til after midnight. Movies run on the outdoor screen all night. Stuff like that. :)

I haven't done the Mexican Riviera (the two Carnivals I did were Eastern Caribbean and Southern Caribbean, plus I did Western Caribbean with Royal Caribbean), but Carnival is pretty good about service dogs. I bring my own dog potty stuff, though - faux grass with potty pads underneath.

(I did bring the faux grass back home this time, BTW. I brought a spray bottle of "Spectrum-24" disinfectant [which I purchased from a horse supply site] with me to spray on the grass before I packed it back up [i let it dry out in the sun a bit before packing it up - it helped that we were debarkation number 18 because our flight was the next day, so I had time to do that]. Cutting it in pieces the same size as the potty pads [instead of using two rolls of it like last time] worked beautifully for changing out the pads and stuffing them in the carry-on-sized suitcase.)

Another question, while I know Blitz can swim how many people if any bring a life jacket for their service animals? I have like thousands of questions; thanks....

I bring a life jacket for my service dog. I hope to never have to use it, of course, but it is best to be prepared with a dog life jacket that you know fits than to be stuck in an emergency situation trying to figure out how to fit a human's life jacket on a dog in a way that will keep their head out of the water and keep them afloat!

Your dog is not allowed in the pools onboard, of course.

The funniest that I can think of is when an Autistic kid thought "service dog" meant I was training the dog to be a Secret Service dog! It was very cute!

The only real issues with Blitz is the K9 thing, everyone thinks he is a Law Enforcement K9 and is treated as such. I see loads of people turn around and walk away, which is kinda funny. He was also stereotyped as a seeing eye dog, the mother walked pass me and blitz while I was reading the ingredients of some frozen pan fry instant meal in a bag. The mother to the child was something like, No son that's a seeing eye dog helping that man; which that comment alone is not too funny until she realized I was reading the label.... So in keeping with yhe child I let him meet Blitz and the little boy even said for a blind man I see pretty good....

Just thought it was funny.

Edited by guitarest

Hi all! I'm glad to be back. I have had the cold from heII for 2 weeks! It's finally over!! Hope everyone is well and I'll try to catch up.

Guitarest, Welcome!! Your dog is just beautiful!

We had about 4 dogs from our puppy class and a dog from our puppy raisers turn in this month. Hope they all make it! That also means we will have all new puppies at our class in a few weeks. We might be going to the graduation in May if they all make it.

Quam, Sorry you got sick on your cruise. But glad you still got to enjoy it.

I will be going to CT today, so I will talk to you all Wed when I get back.

Cindy

This is so funny.....I forgot about this.....This could be a thread all by itself - "What are some of the funniest things your Working Dog is called?"

The most frequent for me is: "Look, its a blind dog!"

I love the "fire dog!"

We were in Wal-Mart a while ago in the check-out line. Some guy got on his cell phone to tell someone there was one of those "eye-see dogs" there.

Dont tell him he is a Shepherd, I honestly think he believe he is a four footed human with a little more hair after I shave...... lol

I never tell Brenda she's a dog. She wouldn't believe me anyway! I just bought her the most gorgeous collars online. They're spectacular in color and design. I'll pass on the site as soon as I find the paperwork. So gorgeous and inexpensive!

Welcome to the boards Blitz and his dad! Glad to have more dog teams posting: It is always fun to learn about the different training methods. And how fun to see a Shepherd join the group. Is it Orsan that is a shepherd as well?

Cooler had a great home visit and of course enjoyed classroom talks today. Her advanced commands are really coming along and she demonstrated the fine art of door opening and light switches today. Love that "tug" command. All the children just clapped and I think if Cooler could bow she would have. Of course all those lunch boxes and backpacks on the floor were awfully tempting to her. I showed a training camp DVD since it was shorter and the audience was very young. Of course the one I showed was when Crackers graduated, so my heart was touched.

I know that seeing Crackers graduation must have really touched your heart. You amaze me how you move on. I know you have your moments but still you carry on and do your great work!

These organizations are NOTHING without people like you!

Quam: Welcome home. Wow! Your experience was truly "up and down!" I feel the same way you do......Once I've spent all the time and money to get onto the ship I force myself to get out and enjoy it, even when I may feel more like just laying down and doing nothing!!!!!! I hope you're feeling a lot better now!!!

The shop in St Lucia will NEVER get a dime from me. And, that jerk onboard the ship who was giving you a hard time to enter the lounge should have been reported to the Hotel Director. What a moron!!!!

I'm so glad your dog doesn't suffer any sea-sick symptoms. I've heard of some nightmares with Service Dogs who don't travel well in the car, I can't imagine how they'd do onboard a cruise ship. I imagine they do a lot of repeat-repeat-repeat to get these dogs desensitized to traveling in all venues.

We got so lucky with Brenda she is the best traveling companion.

Cindy

Thank you Cindy....

Back a decade ago I lived in Hartford, I loved it up there for sure. The only real negative for me like some here is my lack of mobility while it was not near the level it is today I still had loads of issues on ice. I also hated that I could not drive my Camaro year round. So I moved back to Mississippi where I traded snow for hurricanes. I am still wondering about that trade off since I was here for Katrina and Gustav; although I was in Hartford when they broke the snow fall amount record.

Thank you Cindy....

Back a decade ago I lived in Hartford, I loved it up there for sure. The only real negative for me like some here is my lack of mobility while it was not near the level it is today I still had loads of issues on ice. I also hated that I could not drive my Camaro year round. So I moved back to Mississippi where I traded snow for hurricanes. I am still wondering about that trade off since I was here for Katrina and Gustav; although I was in Hartford when they broke the snow fall amount record.

We're such wimps here in L.A. We're very lucky to have the sun shining most of the time. Of course, those earthquakes can take a lot out of you if you're not prepared.

I have enough stuff in my car for us to live on for a week, if need be. The "pack rat" in me always clicks-in when it comes to earthquake preparedness!

Hi all! I'm glad to be back. I have had the cold from heII for 2 weeks! It's finally over!! Hope everyone is well and I'll try to catch up.

We had about 4 dogs from our puppy class and a dog from our puppy raisers turn in this month. Hope they all make it! That also means we will have all new puppies at our class in a few weeks. We might be going to the graduation in May if they all make it.

Quam, Sorry you got sick on your cruise. But glad you still got to enjoy it.

Cindy

Cindy, it's good to hear from you. I hope all is well for you.

Did you hear about the moron who had his CCI dog taken back because he used a "shock collar" on his dog [amongst other horrendous things]?

I'd like to get my hands on that guy! I'm sure I'm not alone in that!

Tornado sirens screaming. Has felt warm and still all day. Smelled like tornadoes. Yet, am I ready.....Yes, Sandy and I are in the basement. Phones and Computer charged. Probably not needed as "hello" welcome to georgia in the spring.....see y'all on th flip side. I'm going to save the batteries.....Oh and Mr Sunshine is at the office. he won't head home until this thing passes,,,, which could be in the next thirty minutes....

Tornado sirens screaming. Has felt warm and still all day. Smelled like tornadoes. Yet, am I ready.....Yes, Sandy and I are in the basement. Phones and Computer charged. Probably not needed as "hello" welcome to georgia in the spring.....see y'all on th flip side. I'm going to save the batteries.....Oh and Mr Sunshine is at the office. he won't head home until this thing passes,,,, which could be in the next thirty minutes....

Oh! No! Be safe.....grab ToTo! Once when we were traveling through Oklahoma we had to go into Mr. and Mrs. Seeley's [a couple we had befriended on the road] basment because a big one was coming......so, so scary.

Take care of yourself and Sandy. I'm thinking very positive thoughts for you! :) :eek:

We're such wimps here in L.A. We're very lucky to have the sun shining most of the time. Of course, those earthquakes can take a lot out of you if you're not prepared.

I have enough stuff in my car for us to live on for a week, if need be. The "pack rat" in me always clicks-in when it comes to earthquake preparedness!

Well just as soon as I get my finances in order I will be heading to Calif; landing at LAX then driving to Palm Springs. My son is stationed at 29 Palms and I can't believe how much more expensive a plan ticket is to go to Palm Springs. So I am renting a SUV and driving there. I like the idea of a non-stop to Calif from New Orleans so Blitz should be OK with the trip. Delta is putting me and Blitz in the front of the section so he can lay down. Sadly his sister (different litter and only 9 weeks old) has to ride in a crate in the belly of the plane.

OBTW I was stationed at Travis and loved San Fran and that area; while I was out there they had a real small quake. I totally freaked out and swore I would never live there; the small quake was on the news although it was so small most didn't notice it. I damn sure noticed it, I can run away from Hurricanes and we get decent warnings about those storms. I don't understand how you can deal with the ground moving....

Oh! No! Be safe.....grab ToTo! Once when we were traveling through Oklahoma we had to go into Mr. and Mrs. Seeley's [a couple we had befriended on the road] basment because a big one was coming......so, so scary.

Take care of yourself and Sandy. I'm thinking very positive thoughts for you! :) :eek:

Crazy Weather for Febuary!!! No significant problems here and everyone is out of the basement. Sandy is up under the bed because we still have some thunder in the area.

Well just as soon as I get my finances in order I will be heading to Calif; landing at LAX then driving to Palm Springs. My son is stationed at 29 Palms and I can't believe how much more expensive a plan ticket is to go to Palm Springs. So I am renting a SUV and driving there. I like the idea of a non-stop to Calif from New Orleans so Blitz should be OK with the trip. Delta is putting me and Blitz in the front of the section so he can lay down. Sadly his sister (different litter and only 9 weeks old) has to ride in a crate in the belly of the plane.

OBTW I was stationed at Travis and loved San Fran and that area; while I was out there they had a real small quake. I totally freaked out and swore I would never live there; the small quake was on the news although it was so small most didn't notice it. I damn sure noticed it, I can run away from Hurricanes and we get decent warnings about those storms. I don't understand how you can deal with the ground moving....

Guitarest, Ontario Airport is only 2 hours from 29 Palms. Much easier drive than through LA traffic. Just FYI.

Edited by dobiemom

Guitarest, Ontario Airport is only 2 hours from 29 Palms. Much easier drive than through LA traffic. Just FYI.

Thank you, my only real issue is the direct flight thing. This will be Blitz's first flight and going for as long without the ability of a bathroom break. Yes he can do it but without a direct flight I am in the airport for almost 10 hours. The direct route will only take 4 hours (estimated).

Thank you, my only real issue is the direct flight thing. This will be Blitz's first flight and going for as long without the ability of a bathroom break. Yes he can do it but without a direct flight I am in the airport for almost 10 hours. The direct route will only take 4 hours (estimated).

:eek: That's too long for us people too! :eek:

We live very close to "ground zero" and when the Northridge earthquake hit in 1994 we had to leave our home and move into a hotel for 4 weeks. It was something you only see in movies. It looked like the world had come to an end. I didn't have a Service Dog then. Now, if we get just the tiniest of shaking I look for Brenda first. I hope we NEVER have to worry about any of it. Believe me, it scares us pretty good too. It just lingers in the back of our minds and since most of our buildings have been retrofitted we feel somewhat safe! :rolleyes: It just lingers in the far recesses of our minds! We have no warning and the surprise of it all can be very scary!!! :eek:

You're very smart in not creating too much air travel time for Blitz. The bulkhead seats are the best. Make sure that the pup has a favorite blanket and she should do okay too. Please let us know how it all goes and have a safe trip.

Crazy Weather for Febuary!!! No significant problems here and everyone is out of the basement. Sandy is up under the bed because we still have some thunder in the area.

I'm glad your all safe. Mother nature has a way of putting us all in our place! :rolleyes:

:eek: That's too long for us people too! :eek:

That's exactly what keeps us from booking a European trip. I hate the air travel time for Brenda. I can't bare watching her face as she squirms to get comfortable and then when she gets thirsty [to only give her ice chips to lick], it feels like I'm torturing her.

I know DH will NOT do it again. I may have to go with Successor [brenda's younger replacement] and leave DH and Brenda at home.

I still have some traveling I MUST do before I'm using a walker. ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

That's exactly what keeps us from booking a European trip. I hate the air travel time for Brenda. I can't bare watching her face as she squirms to get comfortable and then when she gets thirsty [to only give her ice chips to lick], it feels like I'm torturing her.

I know DH will NOT do it again. I may have to go with Successor [brenda's younger replacement] and leave DH and Brenda at home.

I still have some traveling I MUST do before I'm using a walker. ;)

OK...anybody that believes a walker is gonna stop Roz from traveling, start flapping your arms and fly around the room!! :D

OK...anybody that believes a walker is gonna stop Roz from traveling, start flapping your arms and fly around the room!! :D

I spit my coffee on my screen!!!!! You crack me up!!!! Okay, okay, I'll be pushing that walker [with tennis balls on the tips] into everyone who doesn't move out of my way!!!!! And, every dog withing 10 feet of me will be going for my tennis balls!!!! :p

You know me way too well!!!!!! ;)