Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Here's something that I'm sure some of you may not think about but I do.

When you enter a lot of the cruise terminals, with your Service Dog, you have the choice of using; stairs/elevators or escalators.

• DH Could never do the stairs
  • Brenda Could never use the escalator
  • So, we were always in the line with all the wheel chair/seniors/walkers who had no other choice and it would take forever to get upsatirs to the Registration Desk.

Now they train CCI dogs to use escalators, I can't wait to do the stuff that I haven't done with Brenda for almost 10 years.

For those of you whose dogs have been trained to use escalators can you tell me about it?

They never said anything to us about escalators. Maybe because our daughter is in a wheelchair. But even if Orson was trained on them, I don't think I would take the chance. I would always be worried about him catching a nail while trying to get off. It's not worth the risk in my opinion.

Here's something that I'm sure some of you may not think about but I do.

When you enter a lot of the cruise terminals, with your Service Dog, you have the choice of using; stairs/elevators or escalators.

• DH Could never do the stairs
  • Brenda Could never use the escalator
  • So, we were always in the line with all the wheel chair/seniors/walkers who had no other choice and it would take forever to get upsatirs to the Registration Desk.

My service dog is trained to do escalators, but we've never taken one in a cruise terminal. We are always led to the elevators by an employee (in the San Juan terminal, this bypassed the photo area, but I likely wouldn't have purchased it anyway). Going up was always immediate, never a line. At the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale terminals (Carnival and Royal Caribbean, respectively), the check-in desk is on the ground floor after you go through security, then you go on the elevator to get to the photo area and then onto the gangway. In San Juan (Carnival), I am not sure where the photo area is, but you go upstairs to the check-in area and then go through security before getting on the gangway - the waiting area gets super crowded there with there just being hallway areas in between check-in and security! (Some of my friends were very glad to have met up with me after my dog and I were all checked in so that they could skip their call number and join me in getting on the ship early [we asked permission first, of course, and the cruiseline said they could join me].)

Now they train CCI dogs to use escalators, I can't wait to do the stuff that I haven't done with Brenda for almost 10 years.

For those of you whose dogs have been trained to use escalators can you tell me about it?

I don't know if CCI trains them the same way my dog has been trained, but my dog has been trained to hop on and off the escalator/moving sidewalk ends so that her paws avoid the potentially-dangerous ends. It is pretty simple. And eternally helpful in large airports and such!

I can't recall if your husband is in a wheelchair or not, but don't put a wheelchair on a moving sidewalk - they don't come off those easily! :p

I had no idea they trained dogs for that :eek: That seems like such a bad idea, tails, paws, just not good. :eek:

It isn't dangerous if the team is trained properly on how to ride them. Some ppl make too big a deal out of escalators for service dogs because they either don't understand or are too lazy to train the dogs properly. Children can be taught to ride them safely, too. ;)

And, if the stairs have an opening between them [like the ones in the center of the Sapphire/Golden and Diamond Princess], Brenda will not go beyond the first step.......she literally STOPS DEAD!!!!!!! It's amazing to see this bold/brave Service Dog turn to jello!!!!

I do, too!! I hate "see-through stairs" (as I call them) soooo much!!!! You can't get me on those unless it is an emergency or something. (It is part of my height phobia.)

They never said anything to us about escalators. Maybe because our daughter is in a wheelchair.

That would be a pretty good reason. ;) Haha!

But even if Orson was trained on them, I don't think I would take the chance. I would always be worried about him catching a nail while trying to get off. It's not worth the risk in my opinion.

There's no risk, as the dog's nails (and the rest of the paws) don't come near the tread receptacle (I have no idea what it is really called) at the end when they get off. At least not how my dog is trained, and I'm assuming CCI's dogs would be trained in a similar way because it is a safe way. She hops right over the end (and the beginning).

They never said anything to us about escalators. Maybe because our daughter is in a wheelchair. But even if Orson was trained on them, I don't think I would take the chance. I would always be worried about him catching a nail while trying to get off. It's not worth the risk in my opinion.

I agree. Everyday someone is getting caught and killed by an escalator. I would never think of taking my dog on one.

[/b][/color]

My service dog is trained to do escalators, but we've never taken one in a cruise terminal. We are always led to the elevators by an employee (in the San Juan terminal, this bypassed the photo area, but I likely wouldn't have purchased it anyway). Going up was always immediate, never a line. At the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale terminals (Carnival and Royal Caribbean, respectively), the check-in desk is on the ground floor after you go through security, then you go on the elevator to get to the photo area and then onto the gangway. In San Juan (Carnival), I am not sure where the photo area is, but you go upstairs to the check-in area and then go through security before getting on the gangway - the waiting area gets super crowded there with there just being hallway areas in between check-in and security! (Some of my friends were very glad to have met up with me after my dog and I were all checked in so that they could skip their call number and join me in getting on the ship early [we asked permission first, of course, and the cruiseline said they could join me].)

I don't know if CCI trains them the same way my dog has been trained, but my dog has been trained to hop on and off the escalator/moving sidewalk ends so that her paws avoid the potentially-dangerous ends. It is pretty simple. And eternally helpful in large airports and such!

I can't recall if your husband is in a wheelchair or not, but don't put a wheelchair on a moving sidewalk - they don't come off those easily! :p

DH does use a wheelchair [on most occasions-when we travel] so, it was not a big deal to avoid the escalator & moving sidewalks......when he's not cruising with me, I can't wait to use these devices with "Successor!"

[/b][/color]

Just like I have to watch when the little children are with me on the escalator, I'm sure I'd have to watch my dog so his tail/fur and paws are not near the stairs and the moving sides of the escalator!

I think Ollie gets on first and my husband follows. Ollie stands. Hubby can tell the end of the escalator is coming by the sounds and the curve of the handle. It's been a little while since we've been out with them where it's been an issue. Usually I'm keeping an eye on my kids for them to stay behind them or to get off quickly if they are in front. They use the moving walkway in the airport too.

Dark and dreary still here but not raining at the moment. We have probably gotten 7 inches in the past few days. The ground is so wet but my basement has stayed dry.

And I'm still looking for the Mexican paperwork for the website. I haven't looked too hard but I haven't come across it yet.

I think Ollie gets on first and my husband follows. Ollie stands. Hubby can tell the end of the escalator is coming by the sounds and the curve of the handle. It's been a little while since we've been out with them where it's been an issue. Usually I'm keeping an eye on my kids for them to stay behind them or to get off quickly if they are in front. They use the moving walkway in the airport too.

Dark and dreary still here but not raining at the moment. We have probably gotten 7 inches in the past few days. The ground is so wet but my basement has stayed dry.

And I'm still looking for the Mexican paperwork for the website. I haven't looked too hard but I haven't come across it yet.

All these tidbits of information will stay with me when I'm with "Successor", in December, and we're attempting the escalators in the mall.

We've had over 100 degrees [starting out being humid and now being very dry] for the past week. Depending on where we live, Mother Nature has been challenging this year.

The folks who live in Orange County [south of L.A.] and near the Mexican Border have had power outages that have lasted for way too long. I hope that CCI in Oceanside has been able to keep our dogs cool. First thing I ALWAYS think about are the animals.......how are they surviving?

I hope that none of you were hit too hard with weather or power outage problems. Everyone, please take care of yourselves and your dogs.

I'm sorry, my brain's having a power outage.....what exactly are you looking for in regard to Mexican paperwork. If you mean the paperwork to get into Mexico with your dog......your Vet will have it.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

It's definitely a scary thought, to think that Brenda would get hurt trying to please me, makes me crazy. I would NEVER do anything that would risk her getting injured in any way!

I wonder if Roz is out of power. I heard So. Cal is out.[

The power outage was about 80 miles south of us. It was pretty close to CCI in Oceanside. I hope none of the dogs were affected.

It's still very hot and our air conditioning is working round the clock.....eating-up all my cruising money!!!! :mad:

While it is not in my position to question the big man upstairs some times you have to say "*****". Point in fact to this thread; I have been looking for this fish for two years in its normal hiding place with no luck. Yesterday I decided to go fishing for the hell of it and the first cast I pulled in this freak. So what do ya do? It took me about ten minutes to offload all my gear, icebox, poles, nets and chair; do I let him go or load back up and bring him home. Its early in the day and no one is around so I dropped my buddy into a 5gal bucket and turn on the air pump. Load all my crap up drove home did the fastest normalization of tank water vs sea water and bam a new tank member. I drove back to the fishing spot, when I left no one was there, I get back and the entire town in fishing in my location.... I use barbless hooks so the fish that I don't keep have a small hole vs ripping out half their jaw. This morning his sore from the hook is close to completely gone and he ate two complete shrimp, head and all.

So back to the fish, he is called a Sea Robin. The big man upstairs must have had some spare parts and decided to be funny that day. This guy has 6 legs that he actually uses to walk along the bottom. Then the big guy gave them huge fins that he uses to fly in the water. Look at that face he has a huge shovel head for doing nothing but digging and then the big guy gives him a Raccoon mask. Yup a freak of nature, and a cool addition to my 100gal tank.

Some cool stuff, heading out today going fishing again since last weekend I thought about changing my name to Noah......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2AUv6CQCGY

While it is not in my position to question the big man upstairs some times you have to say "*****". Point in fact to this thread; I have been looking for this fish for two years in its normal hiding place with no luck. Yesterday I decided to go fishing for the hell of it and the first cast I pulled in this freak. So what do ya do? It took me about ten minutes to offload all my gear, icebox, poles, nets and chair; do I let him go or load back up and bring him home. Its early in the day and no one is around so I dropped my buddy into a 5gal bucket and turn on the air pump. Load all my crap up drove home did the fastest normalization of tank water vs sea water and bam a new tank member. I drove back to the fishing spot, when I left no one was there, I get back and the entire town in fishing in my location.... I use barbless hooks so the fish that I don't keep have a small hole vs ripping out half their jaw. This morning his sore from the hook is close to completely gone and he ate two complete shrimp, head and all.

So back to the fish, he is called a Sea Robin. The big man upstairs must have had some spare parts and decided to be funny that day. This guy has 6 legs that he actually uses to walk along the bottom. Then the big guy gave them huge fins that he uses to fly in the water. Look at that face he has a huge shovel head for doing nothing but digging and then the big guy gives him a Raccoon mask. Yup a freak of nature, and a cool addition to my 100gal tank.

Some cool stuff, heading out today going fishing again since last weekend I thought about changing my name to Noah......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2AUv6CQCGY

Jocko, he is an amazing example of what lives in freedom in the water, he's so ugly he's gorgeous......let him go! You've limited his world.....set him free! Sorry, I'm just not one who enjoys watching anything caged/tanked/barred from the normal life they've lived. I don't enjoy zoos, animal farms & hunting and fishing drives me nuts. Unless animals are being captured for rescue [to be set free again], I don't get how people enjoy watching them in enclosure's or how people can get enjoyment from watching fish going in circles, around and around.......Sorry!

My son has a phenominal tank of tropical fish and a hamster in a cage for his children's enjoyment......I want to swoop-up the fish and set them free and grab the hamster and let him go!

I know, I'm boring....I'm a profound animal lover.....I can't kill spiders, I try to chase fly's out of my house and I scoop-up creepy crawly things and let them go outside!!!! Exterminators make no money from me!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Jocko, he is an amazing example of what lives in freedom in the water, he's so ugly he's gorgeous......let him go! You've limited his world.....set him free!

I am a huge animal lover also and the flip side of this little fish is that they are killed by the majority of those who fish down here; so the limited area is exchanged for a longer life without BP oil and those who kill just because he is ugly. I have several fish tanks and this one is the 100gal and when the fish get too big they do get let go, in areas away from the normal fishermen. I recently let a few blue crabs go and the real big boy I wrote on his shell in perm marker "Please do not eat me I was a pet". Most of my fish in this tank (except for the new guy) have been in the tank for 2 years and were originally saved from the BP Oil spill. The other reason I can't or should not let these guys go is because of this right here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEv8vfP5eyw

These fish are very much humanized, and I very much respect your thoughts about the safety of these fish.

I LOVE that......Brenda will not tilt her head no matter what! Nothing can make me smile faster than watching a dog do the "head tilt!" :D

I agree and one day Blitz's head is going to pop off. Here is a video where I catch Blitz in a lie. The first barker is Sarge who is my son's dog and a Katrina Rescue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHWmY23rbS8

Blitz is going to snap that head right off.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlll_deuUjs&NR=1

I love it when dogs do that! :D

Be very careful when your out and about today. A new breed of attack dogs who are sadly the same breed of Blitz (German Shepherds) are being trained to attack and kill any one that comes close to harming their masters....

Wow! My first doberman could catch her tail... and it was cropped!

Guitarest, I love your videos (and the videos you find)! BTW How is your friend's wife doing?

Help! :confused: I'm going on my first cruise with a service dog in just a few weeks, and I can't seem to find information on what to do when you arrive at a foreign port -- if the service dog stays on board, does she have to pass customs and do I still have to present her rabies and international health certificate and all forms and titres? Or if my dog stays on board, does she not go through customs?

I have the info from all the countries we will visit (Greece, Turkey, Israel) but there are going to be some problems to take our dog off in Israel -- namely that her health certificate can't possibly be signed within the six days because we will be in the middle of the Aegean and Mediterranean seas then!!

So I'm wondering if I leave her on board in her kennel, then maybe she won't have to pass through the animal control when we arrive in port???

Help if you can, please all you seasoned cruisers!;) Im a newbie and worried:(;) -- and thank you.

Help! :confused: I'm going on my first cruise with a service dog in just a few weeks, and I can't seem to find information on what to do when you arrive at a foreign port -- if the service dog stays on board, does she have to pass customs and do I still have to present her rabies and international health certificate and all forms and titres? Or if my dog stays on board, does she not go through customs?

I have the info from all the countries we will visit (Greece, Turkey, Israel) but there are going to be some problems to take our dog off in Israel -- namely that her health certificate can't possibly be signed within the six days because we will be in the middle of the Aegean and Mediterranean seas then!!

So I'm wondering if I leave her on board in her kennel, then maybe she won't have to pass through the animal control when we arrive in port???

Help if you can, please all you seasoned cruisers!;) Im a newbie and worried:(;) -- and thank you.

Once you're dog is onboard you've passed customs. When going into a port that requires a certain time period for the Rabies Titre to be done, the titre that you received prior to boarding should be accepted by Immigration authorities. It would be impossible for a cruiseship passenger to have this done while onboard and the authorities know it.

Immigration may ask that you leave your dog behind, for some folks that would make travel impossible and may cause great distress. A letter from you doctor, presented to the authorities at port may give you special dispensation.

Immigration/Port Authorities may board and do a physical inspection of your dog prior to disembarking or they may not. They have the right to delay or deny your entrance to any port. Don't argue with them. Be prepared for this to happen and be ready to have someone to share the dog sitting onboard. [some cruiselines will not allow you to leave your dog unattended in the cabin.] You may make a friend of a crew member and your dog can stay with them for the time that your visiting a port.

I have NEVER left Brenda behind....I simply kept an assertive, firm voice, had the appropriate paperwork and letter from my doctor and have NEVER been denied entrance.

Be very careful about some of the ports you may visit. They don't all have good canine laws and many of their dogs carry disease and can be aggressive towards your dog.

If your dog goes into port with you, it's important to keep all your dogs paperwork on you, along with your Passport and your Sail & Sign Card.

I love traveling with Brenda - Especially on cruise ships.

I love it when dogs do that! :D

Wow! My first doberman could catch her tail... and it was cropped!

Guitarest, I love your videos (and the videos you find)! BTW How is your friend's wife doing?

They took her off life support last week and she is actually doing real good currently. On Friday she sat up in the bed and now the docs can address her secondary issues. The primary issue being the life support and had swelling of the blood upon the brain due to a broken blood vessel or something like that. The docs decided not to open her up to relieve the pressure from the swelling on the brain and it worked out for her. The secondary stuff like the broken collar bone and the superficial cuts and bruises have now been addressed. I am heading to Ohio in October to help Calvin with his wife. They are having a few benefits for the family and I am donating a few of my paintings to be sold at the local auction. I am donating the Catfish painting below and a few others.

Speaking of what a weekend, I fished the entire weekend (dang near). I actually wore out Blitz. We were fishing from the harbor barrier and there was so much going on with kids, seagulls, bratty teenagers throwing huge stones and then jumping off the pier near where we were at. After we got home today, we went to Walmart and then came home; he has been sleeping since. Below are a few pictures from last night; these do not do justice to the actual view.

300996_10150273193321022_508476021_8168721_3805879_n.jpg

317185_10150278685741022_508476021_8204755_1021602590_n.jpg

312220_10150278685166022_508476021_8204742_46479621_n.jpg