Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well mom got power back yesterday but she doesn't want to go home, probably cuz my brother drives her nuts. She is having to good of a time here. I will probably bring her home Sunday or Monday. We have our puppy class tomorrow night so she will go with us.

Puppy Class - Yippeeee!!!!! Nothing like a bunch of puppies to keep the spirit young!

You have solidified your chances of getting into heaven with the way you take care of everyone in your life!!!!!!

Puppy Class - Yippeeee!!!!! Nothing like a bunch of puppies to keep the spirit young!

You have solidified your chances of getting into heaven with the way you take care of everyone in your life!!!!!!

Who doesn't love a puppy? I'm not sure how many little ones we have but one is around 5 months old. They are the couple that want us to puppysit at the end of the month. We really haven't decided on that yet. 5 months is pretty young. I have enough trouble getting through the holidays without having a puppy. Boy I can't wait for this cruise, I really need it. I am making a new dessert recipe for this class, cappuccino chip cupcakes with mocha buttercream frosting, boy thats a mouthful just to say. I think we should try them out tonight to make sure I made them right. Every class I make some dessert to pick on and they expect it now,but I like making stuff so I don't mind.

Edited by rangeley

Who doesn't love a puppy? I'm not sure how many little ones we have but one is around 5 months old. They are the couple that want us to puppysit at the end of the month. We really haven't decided on that yet. 5 months is pretty young. I have enough trouble getting through the holidays without having a puppy. Boy I can't wait for this cruise, I really need it. I am making a new dessert recipe for this class, cappuccino chip cupcakes with mocha buttercream frosting, boy thats a mouthful just to say. I think we should try them out tonight to make sure I made them right. Every class I make some dessert to pick on and they expect it now,but I like making stuff so I don't mind.

5 months old ~ so cute and so much trouble!!!!!!

Your cupcakes sound so yummmmmmmmmmy!!!! No wonder everyone loves when Cindy comes around!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz is right, they do sound yummy! Do you share recipes?

Roz, thanks for bringing us all together and then doing a "round-up". I can't tell everyone how much I have learned from your experiences with service dogs! And I had such a good time time traveling with Roz and Brenny, just what I needed....

I remember when guiterst first started posting with Blitz...I just knew there was someone with a german shepard. So glad to see 'Ollie".

I love the puppies(hello: pediatric nurse here) and it gives me time to use my puppy voice. Of course I used it on Brenny and she never minded.

Cindy, if you want, take one home for the holidays. I had Cooler home last year at 7 months. I did barricade the tree the first day, but it really wasn't an issue. Of course she is my foster and well used to some of the household. But bring in multiple family members, laughs, conversation and PJ's...she was a bit confused. I finally told everyone they had to be quiet because "Cooler" needed to go "night-night" for Santa...how is that for puppy talk.... On the other hand, the house got quiet, Cooler went to sleep and so did I. Since Cooler will graduate in January, she get's another holiday with us. I might try midnight Mass this year.

Quam, so good to hear from you. You really have some of the best information, and it really has helped me with the legalites of puppy raising

And on a personal note, poor Sandy is still itchy and scratchy, despite the very $$$$fish food diet. Her nails and coat look good, and she's lost some much needed poundage. I'll be taking her to the University of Georgia's Vet Program for allergy testing and hopefully some resolution.

I love all of my CC buddies. Keep posting about your service dogs, it makes those middle of the night potty runs much eaiser.

I'm putting the word out to some of our past poster's with or without Service Dogs......How are you and most importantly how are your dogs and have you done any cruising lately? I'd love hear from you

Latitude20 - Kathi how are you?

Oh Roz, you're going to be sorry you asked :) I try to "lurk" every day and I think about all of you a lot. Haven't had much time to think about cruising or even working as we've had a terrible couple of months:

We lost Leo's Mom on September 7. Fortunately we were already in SoCal to take care of her when she was hospitalized for the final time. She had multiple health issues and we knew we probably didn't have much time left with her but we were figuring months, not days. She was admitted to the hospital on a Friday afternoon for relatively minor issues and by Sunday afternoon her body had shut down to the point that Leo made the difficult decision to stop all but pallative treatment. She was unable to speak or open her eyes but we think she could hear us as we spent the next three days constantly at her side. The hospital was great and let us have an entire two-person room to ourselves so someone could "sleep over" every night. It was an amazing time--she touched so many lives. I'm guessing at least 100 people came to see her in those final days and we had more than 300 at the funeral.

Then, as we were flying home from Mom's funeral, our vet called my cell phone at 6:30 a.m. (on a Sunday!) Our 17+ year old kitty, "Touchdown," had deteriorated dramatically in the past few days and she wanted to know what we wanted to do. A bunch of telephone tag later, I finally got to talk to her about 5:00 p.m. and Leo and I decided that Touchdown was going to have to go to heaven to keep Grandma company. Leo had to work on Monday so we went after work and they let us have as long as we wanted to say goodbye before putting Touchdown to sleep.

Oh yeah, and my brother's garage burned to the ground, causing more than $100k damage to it and his house (thankfully, no one was injured except for a few minor burns). And my cousin was critically injured by a drunk driver. Fun times--NOT!

But that's enough whining/venting from me. Looks like many of us are facing challenges so let's just hope for much better times ahead. There are cruises to take, new pups to meet and lots more!

Thanks so much Roz for starting this thread (we'll have to have a five-year anniversary celebration next July) and keeping everyone "in the loop." Here's to a great holiday season for everyone and a fantastic 2012!

Kathi

Roz, thanks for bringing us all together and then doing a "round-up". I can't tell everyone how much I have learned from your experiences with service dogs! And I had such a good time time traveling with Roz and Brenny, just what I needed....

I remember when guiterst first started posting with Blitz...I just knew there was someone with a german shepard. So glad to see 'Ollie".

I love the puppies(hello: pediatric nurse here) and it gives me time to use my puppy voice. Of course I used it on Brenny and she never minded.

Cindy, if you want, take one home for the holidays. I had Cooler home last year at 7 months. I did barricade the tree the first day, but it really wasn't an issue. Of course she is my foster and well used to some of the household. But bring in multiple family members, laughs, conversation and PJ's...she was a bit confused. I finally told everyone they had to be quiet because "Cooler" needed to go "night-night" for Santa...how is that for puppy talk.... On the other hand, the house got quiet, Cooler went to sleep and so did I. Since Cooler will graduate in January, she get's another holiday with us. I might try midnight Mass this year.

Quam, so good to hear from you. You really have some of the best information, and it really has helped me with the legalites of puppy raising

And on a personal note, poor Sandy is still itchy and scratchy, despite the very $$$$fish food diet. Her nails and coat look good, and she's lost some much needed poundage. I'll be taking her to the University of Georgia's Vet Program for allergy testing and hopefully some resolution.

I love all of my CC buddies. Keep posting about your service dogs, it makes those middle of the night potty runs much eaiser.

Sunshine, I hope the family is doing well, and I'm sorry to hear that Sandy is still suffering with her skin issues. I know you'll get it resolved, please let us know how her visit at the university goes.

Your CC buddies love you and I'm so grateful for the time that we got to spend together. I have some wonderful pictures to always remind me of our time shared!

I got really mad earlier today and it took my daughter to chill me out. We went to Hard Rock to celebrate my B-Day with the free buffet yet she somehow talked me into buying her dinner. Gotta stop doing that... lol Any ways we finished dinner strolled over to the giftshop and there was a woman with what must have been the most misbehaved service dog I have ever seen. NO way this animal was even a self taught service animal it was uncontrolled; running out as far as the retractable leash would let it go. Wrapped around the person walking the dog. Something like this dog does others so much misjustice in the eyes of the public. It even looked like the yorkie was going to pee on the floor and would have if the woman would not have jerked on the leash and picked up the dog. I was going to speak with them yet my daughter told me to leave it alone and its not worth it.

So what would have yall done?

Oh Roz, you're going to be sorry you asked :) I try to "lurk" every day and I think about all of you a lot. Haven't had much time to think about cruising or even working as we've had a terrible couple of months:

We lost Leo's Mom on September 7. Fortunately we were already in SoCal to take care of her when she was hospitalized for the final time. She had multiple health issues and we knew we probably didn't have much time left with her but we were figuring months, not days. She was admitted to the hospital on a Friday afternoon for relatively minor issues and by Sunday afternoon her body had shut down to the point that Leo made the difficult decision to stop all but pallative treatment. She was unable to speak or open her eyes but we think she could hear us as we spent the next three days constantly at her side. The hospital was great and let us have an entire two-person room to ourselves so someone could "sleep over" every night. It was an amazing time--she touched so many lives. I'm guessing at least 100 people came to see her in those final days and we had more than 300 at the funeral.

Then, as we were flying home from Mom's funeral, our vet called my cell phone at 6:30 a.m. (on a Sunday!) Our 17+ year old kitty, "Touchdown," had deteriorated dramatically in the past few days and she wanted to know what we wanted to do. A bunch of telephone tag later, I finally got to talk to her about 5:00 p.m. and Leo and I decided that Touchdown was going to have to go to heaven to keep Grandma company. Leo had to work on Monday so we went after work and they let us have as long as we wanted to say goodbye before putting Touchdown to sleep.

Oh yeah, and my brother's garage burned to the ground, causing more than $100k damage to it and his house (thankfully, no one was injured except for a few minor burns). And my cousin was critically injured by a drunk driver. Fun times--NOT!

But that's enough whining/venting from me. Looks like many of us are facing challenges so let's just hope for much better times ahead. There are cruises to take, new pups to meet and lots more!

Thanks so much Roz for starting this thread (we'll have to have a five-year anniversary celebration next July) and keeping everyone "in the loop." Here's to a great holiday season for everyone and a fantastic 2012!

Kathi

Oh! Kathi, I'm so sorry about the loss of Leo's mom, may the memories that you shared during the good times sustain you and Leo through the months ahead.

And, to think that "Touchdown" is now keeping Grandma company sure helps baring the sadness of the loss. 17 years is a great life and I'm sure you made many memories together.

Your brother got very lucky that he only lost "stuff!" Very scary! I'm glad that he survived it.

Wow! You've been a very busy gal while you've been away. You definitely could use a cruising break.

I'm so glad we all met. We've been a comfort to each other on so many different levels and to celebrate our thread we will need to do something in July, 2012.

Take care of yourself and come back to share your stories, it's so much fun to read your writings even if they may be filled with lives drama's that are thrown our way! You're not alone~we all share the day-to-day trials and tribulations...of course, yours were a bit too much for anyone to handle. Hopefully, life won't throw such overwhelming challenges your way for a long time!

I got really mad earlier today and it took my daughter to chill me out. We went to Hard Rock to celebrate my B-Day with the free buffet yet she somehow talked me into buying her dinner. Gotta stop doing that... lol Any ways we finished dinner strolled over to the giftshop and there was a woman with what must have been the most misbehaved service dog I have ever seen. NO way this animal was even a self taught service animal it was uncontrolled; running out as far as the retractable leash would let it go. Wrapped around the person walking the dog. Something like this dog does others so much misjustice in the eyes of the public. It even looked like the yorkie was going to pee on the floor and would have if the woman would not have jerked on the leash and picked up the dog. I was going to speak with them yet my daughter told me to leave it alone and its not worth it.

So what would have yall done?

Doesn't that drive you nuts [was Bltiz with you?] It's been a long time since I've seen an ill-behaved Service Dog in public. But, if I did I wouldn't hesitate to comment to the person that their dog is acting inappropriately and I'd even request that the manager have them removed.

It's okay for the public [and, that includes you] to request that a poorly behaving SD be removed from the public venue. Quite frankly, I prefer it!!!! They just make it more difficult for the rest of us, who legitimately train their dogs to act with great respect for the public.

It's really important that we "call" the imposter out!!!!

Doesn't that drive you nuts [was Bltiz with you?] It's been a long time since I've seen an ill-behaved Service Dog in public. But, if I did I wouldn't hesitate to comment to the person that their dog is acting inappropriately and I'd even request that the manager have them removed.

It's okay for the public [and, that includes you] to request that a poorly behaving SD be removed from the public venue. Quite frankly, I prefer it!!!! They just make it more difficult for the rest of us, who legitimately train their dogs to act with great respect for the public.

Blitz actually stayed home with his adopted sister Dia. My daughter came down and both Blitz and Dia were fired up so we left them at home to play with each other. We came home to happy pups and I had also gave them rawhides that I just purchased. Blitz laid with my daughter on the couch and Dia laid on me on my Lazyboy. She is smaller than Blitz and is about 15lbs lighter. Both dogs are great pups and its really nice to have German Shepherds that listen to both of us. Blitz and Dia are equally as well behaived and tomorrow (depending on my right leg which is on fire right now) is the world championship Frizbee Catch Off between Blitz and Dia. I will post pictures later in the day. Hope all have a great weekend and I do pray for those still without power will soon have power.

Blitz actually stayed home with his adopted sister Dia. My daughter came down and both Blitz and Dia were fired up so we left them at home to play with each other. We came home to happy pups and I had also gave them rawhides that I just purchased. Blitz laid with my daughter on the couch and Dia laid on me on my Lazyboy. She is smaller than Blitz and is about 15lbs lighter. Both dogs are great pups and its really nice to have German Shepherds that listen to both of us. Blitz and Dia are equally as well behaived and tomorrow (depending on my right leg which is on fire right now) is the world championship Frizbee Catch Off between Blitz and Dia. I will post pictures later in the day. Hope all have a great weekend and I do pray for those still without power will soon have power.

314778_10150316881856022_508476021_8417966_1947410772_n.jpg

Blitz is in the front and Dia is the smaller pup. To put things in perspective, Dia is 60lbs in this picture and Blitz is 89lbs

Edited by guitarest

314778_10150316881856022_508476021_8417966_1947410772_n.jpg

Blitz is in the front and Dia is the smaller pup. To put things in perspective, Dia is 60lbs in this picture and Blitz is 89lbs

Such beautiful dogs. Did you hear about the Shephard mix that was tied behind some moron's truck and dragged? A woman driving nearby saw it and called 911. The dog is only 10 months old and had some severe injuries to his back legs [that required surgery] and a large gash on his muzzle but he survived and now folks are calling the shelter to adopt him. I hope they caught the idiot who did this [i'd love just a minute with him.]

This happened in Riverside County, CA. The Vet was paid by donated funds. Just looking at the pictures on t.v. makes me tear for the way he was treated.

OH they had a blast this weekend; since Friday afternoon nothing but playing catch, learning new tricks, car rides, and sharing love between each other. At night my daughter sleeps in her old room and closes the door so Dia can't leave. I wake up around 6:30 and let her out and thats when the day starts. I have to let them out separately if not Dia will not go to bathroom.

I also experienced what its like to have a lapdog of Dias size and it was great. Dont get me wrong Blitz is the stuff; very smart and loving and except for the almost 20lbs more they are identical. Those few extra pounds mean allot when Blitz is laying on your lap and that elbow causes your leg to go to sleep or sharp pains.

Well after Julie leftwith Dia Blitz laid next to the kitchen door for about 2 hours hoping they would return. I felt sad for him; so I gave him and his brothers a large chew bone treat.

Hope everyone had a great weekend I sure did with my daughter stopping by.

This week I'm starting Brenda on a 2 day work week, then next week it will be a 1 day work week and after that she'll retire. This will give her some time at home with Morey and then with Morey and me [i'm going to take some time off for Thanksgiving.] Brenda, Morey and I can share being with each other before I leave for Santa Rosa to get "Successor!"

Life will change drastically for Brenda and with all the family get together's coming-up it will be interesting to see how we all manage it.

Guitarest, Great pics as always!!

Roz I noticed 4 weeks til successor!! OMG!! I'm sure Brenny will be fine. Bailee didn't have a problem when Wex came into her life, they will be like 2 peas in a pod after a few days.

Well mom is home now. It was exhausting having her here. But I'm glad she was here, especially for the hospital visit.

Puppy class was great! We had a ton of people there and almost all the cupcakes went. When John scans the cupcake recipe, I will try to post it here for anyone that wants it. They were good but I'm a chocolate kinda girl. We have 2 or 3 dogs graduating from our puppy class. It's awesome!!

It's like 65 degrees today and even nicer tomorrow. After people froze their butts off last week now it turns out nice. Alot of people still do not have power and the clean up is incredible. In front of everyones houses theres piles and piles of tree limbs and brush. What a mess! Makes you think the end of the world might be coming with all these disasters.

Guitarest, Great pics as always!!

Roz I noticed 4 weeks til successor!! OMG!! I'm sure Brenny will be fine. Bailee didn't have a problem when Wex came into her life, they will be like 2 peas in a pod after a few days.

Well mom is home now. It was exhausting having her here. But I'm glad she was here, especially for the hospital visit.

Puppy class was great! We had a ton of people there and almost all the cupcakes went. When John scans the cupcake recipe, I will try to post it here for anyone that wants it. They were good but I'm a chocolate kinda girl. We have 2 or 3 dogs graduating from our puppy class. It's awesome!!

It's like 65 degrees today and even nicer tomorrow. After people froze their butts off last week now it turns out nice. Alot of people still do not have power and the clean up is incredible. In front of everyones houses theres piles and piles of tree limbs and brush. What a mess! Makes you think the end of the world might be coming with all these disasters.

I'm glad Mom's good. And, can the end of the world wait until I get Successor......I feel like I've waited so long and I really want Brenda to have a buddy and I need to get back into life 100% and, well, that's it!!!! End of world just wait for me, please!!!!!!

I'm glad Mom's good. And, can the end of the world wait until I get Successor......I feel like I've waited so long and I really want Brenda to have a buddy and I need to get back into life 100% and, well, that's it!!!! End of world just wait for me, please!!!!!!

Hi Roz,

You will be getting acquainted with your "Successor" while I'm in hospital, having a revision knee replacement (the old knee replacement, done in 2000, has failed). One of the things that is going to encourage me to do all my exercises, so that I get home as quickly as possible, is looking forward to hearing about Successor, how you adapt to him/her, and how Brenda gets on with another dog in the house.

You may remember that I said I was my DH's hearing assist dog - he is almost totally deaf in one ear and has significant loss of hearing in the other ear. Initially, he was completely against the thought of having a dog to help him.

Since we learned that I would need surgery, DH has acknowledged that he would now consider a dog to assist him, should anything happen to me. I consider that to be progress! A dog to replace me! :D (For what it's worth, I once stated to DH that, if anything ever happened to him, I would not bother looking for another man, but would "just get a dog.")

My very best wishes to you and your new dog, and to Brenda and Morey, who will enjoy companionship together.

Celle.

Roz, I can't even begin to understand your excitement. I know your retiring Brenny, so does that me no more leaving the house and the new pup gets to leave all the time. I wonder how Brenny is going to react? What about you; since you two have been a team for a very long time. Or can you bring both the same time?

OK question for the experts here, I had another thing happen to me in my travles and basically I called it BS. While I didn't tell the woman myself I felt she was not only full of it.

Basically this woman had three small dogs oone was a Yorkie, and the other two were around that size and all three sported new "Servicedog" vests. I found it just not of the normal situation. I started a conversation with her and she was immediately defensive about her dogs. My comment was "Wow three service dogs", and she replied "The ADA says you can have servicedogs if your handicap". I agreed and while I was standing there one of the dogs started growling at Blitz, which would be understandable if these were normal dogs. Service animals are supposed to have much more training especially when it comes to socialization. I just out of habit mentioned its OK Blitz has had allot of training and jokingly told her the Yorkie could beat Blitz's butt. So I mentioned to her it it was very unusual to have three dogs with only one master; what is the reason. Then she said you can't ask me what my disability is. I said OK I'm not trying to be rude just wanted to know the reason. So then I did ask her "What exactly does these dogs do for you" she again said I can't ask that question. I pointed to Blitz and he has a ID which is like any ID that can be purchased on line (I also carry my perscription with me just in case I need it) and on the back of his ID card is a brief of the ADA and showed her that two questions can be asked and one of those is "What service does the service animal do for you". Her reply could have been a situation like knocking me over with a feather. According to her all three dogs were "Hearing dogs". I jokingly said "Really 3, what does one hear and tell the other and tell the other and the Yorkie tell you"? Buy then she as very nervous and also jittery and her voice was starting to have a edge on it as if I was annoying her. I told her thank you and good luck.

So I personally think she was full of 100% Grade A BS; although I am not a expert in this field and this is why I am asking you the experts. Can any one think of a valid reason to have 3 hearing dogs; all were a few years old and none appeared to have too much training. I know those dogs are trained to assist a individual who is hard of hearing although I did not see any hearing aids and she heard everything I said. Since our conversation was personal my tone and volume was lower than if it was just a casual conversation.

Any ideas? Could I be wrong?

Hey shift in gears; are all the members who live in the CT area have power now? It looks like those in Ok will be having another rough day with rain finally. That storm front goes up to the U.P of Michigan and will turn to snow.

OK I'm finished heading out to vote this morning. Not really too concerned about the offices open heading out to Vote against 26. Way too many rights being taken away from women including most forms of birth control.

C Yall Ltr....

This is a very pretty photo of Blitz's sister

225437_10150176733076198_588716197_7262861_1683364_n.jpg

I always have a soft spot in my heart with lil German Shepherd puppies signaling for that right turn...... lol

312686_10150339744606198_588716197_8527295_753496215_n.jpg

This is a beautiful picture of Dia this past weekend.