Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Can I just say NO Brenny just to see the Wrath of Roz....... lol

Oh Dear!!!!! Guitarest is pushing the envelope a bit far today!!!! Honestly, I'm as gentle as a kitten to get along with......but, do something to an animal or a child that is [in any way] a bit negative and I become "unhinged!"

Before I got Brenda I used to be able to watch all the animal rescue shows, no problem. Now, If anything comes on t.v. that shows any kind of animal abuse or injury and I'm crying and or kicking and screaming!!!!! [between you and me, I think it's what happens when a dog like Brenda comes into your life......your whole perspective on animals in general just changes!!!!!]

Mornin' all:

Thanks for asking Roz. Just ok, been busy. Mom is in the hospital, has been for a week. Not sure how that is going. The neighbor threw a rock and hit Travis in the back of the head, also off to emergency! :eek: It hit him right on the neck bone, out a nice "V" shaped cut and goose egg. They had to glue it. That's over he is ok.........

I read the posts every day but sometimes just don't have time to post. I am getting overly excited about "succesor" and cry every time I read about Ms. Brenny's retirement party! Way to go girl, you rock! I hope she wears one of her "prettiest" collars. And of course we want pictures!

I am here with you guys at all times! :)

Mornin' all:

Thanks for asking Roz. Just ok, been busy. Mom is in the hospital, has been for a week. Not sure how that is going. The neighbor threw a rock and hit Travis in the back of the head, also off to emergency! :eek: It hit him right on the neck bone, out a nice "V" shaped cut and goose egg. They had to glue it. That's over he is ok.........

I read the posts every day but sometimes just don't have time to post. I am getting overly excited about "succesor" and cry every time I read about Ms. Brenny's retirement party! Way to go girl, you rock! I hope she wears one of her "prettiest" collars. And of course we want pictures!

Sorry about your mom. It's so difficult to watch a parent go through health issues. My kids go nuts when I'm not well!!!!

What the heck was the neighbor thinking? You must have been so worried and poor Travis must have been scared at having to go to the ER and all. I hope everything turns out okay for everyone. This may be the end of a beautiful friendship with these neighbors though!!!!:rolleyes:

Oh Dear!!!!! Guitarest is pushing the envelope a bit far today!!!! Honestly, I'm as gentle as a kitten to get along with......but, do something to an animal or a child that is [in any way] a bit negative and I become "unhinged!"

Before I got Brenda I used to be able to watch all the animal rescue shows, no problem. Now, If anything comes on t.v. that shows any kind of animal abuse or injury and I'm crying and or kicking and screaming!!!!! [between you and me, I think it's what happens when a dog like Brenda comes into your life......your whole perspective on animals in general just changes!!!!!]

I agree 100%, in fact I am regretting one thing in life. You know those moments that people consider hindsight. I would not change anything in life except for one thing, the way I trained King. Blitz is Kings successor although they have different jobs. When I got King I was no where near as walking impaired as I am today. In fact its simply amazing what a few years will do for ya; I wasn't going to run a marathon although I could walk with minor pain almost a decade ago. Today I limit my walking due to the many things although the biggest impact are the heel spurs. Add in the knee surgeries that have not restored the usage of the left knee which is at about 50% usage due to limitations. Lets not forget the vascular issues with the clots and the open sores usually associated with diabetics. Naw nothing wrong with me at all...... lol. I just very lucky the injury that started all this crap happened while stationed in Korea while I was in the military and got hurt during a exercise. I did enjoy getting yelled at by the military nurses when I was confined to a wheel chair and learning to walk again. Did you know there are suggested speed limits with wheel chairs and they frown upon racing in wheel chairs... lol Ya know those sponge baths never happened... :(

Sorry for the tangent.... I have gone through a huge learning process with Blitz. With the help of his breeder he has become way more than a normal pet. So I reflect back to King; how I regret not knowing what I know now. I could put Blitz in a room of 5 year olds on sugar highs and not one fear that Blitz would cause any harm to those children. King never attacked anyone during his 8 short years of life yet the trust I have with Blitz was not there with King. All of this fear of King and what he could do is because I did not know what Blitz and his breeder has taught me. King was instrumental after Katrina in catching looters and we both received awards and letters thanking for our help. Its not that King was a bad dog; its because I am a better pack leader now. So my regret is not knowing what I do now; and regretting how much a better pack member King woud have been had I known better.

Roz one of the things I am trying to do in this area, and I am getting allot of resistance is waking up locals on those backyard breeders. There is a hge difference in breeders in my area; there are no decent breeders in my area. Blitz came from Lousiana and his mom and dad are directly from Germany. Whats is here in my area are those who purchase a dam and a sire and breed them till they die. There are no tests on the breeding pair to test for possible problems when those puppies get older (this is the main reason King is no longer with me). Had King's breeder done a few simple tests they would not have bred the dam to the sire. My fault in this situation was I was not educated enough to know I was getting King from a backyard breeder and his facility was eventually shut down by the ASPCA as a puppy mill.

So I am with you 100% Roz and will go out of my way to shut down those backyard breeders who are in it for the money only. Below are a few photo's of King. Its been a few years yet it still hurts so much.

This is King (The german shep), Willie (Katrina survivor) and you can actually see afew scars on that left knee of mine

75705_456996716021_508476021_6035914_780749_n.jpg

Great example of why a German Shep should not be allowed to eat lemons.

75762_456999381021_508476021_6035958_4656149_n.jpg

Look at dem ears......

75105_456998316021_508476021_6035945_4112303_n.jpg

A very happy King before Katrina (exactly a month before our lives changed for ever.

75346_456997686021_508476021_6035932_1870420_n.jpg

Edited by guitarest

What Guitarist had to say is one of the reasons I went to Canine Companions for Independence specifically. I knew that they bred/raised and trained their own dogs. This was important to me. I knew that wonderful folks in our society donated their services to become the foster families for the "Breeder" dogs and other's became "Puppyraisers" ~ These amazing people are the heart and soul behind CCI.

Guitarist, no need to carry all that guilt. You did the best you knew [at the time]....and, how lucky is "Blitz" to get all the love & respect from all your knowledge now!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

What Guitarist had to say is one of the reasons I went to Canine Companions for Independence specifically. I knew that they bred/raised and trained their own dogs. This was important to me. I knew that wonderful folks in our society donated their services to become the foster families for the "Breeder" dogs and other's became "Puppyraisers" ~ These amazing people are the heart and soul behind CCI.

Guitarist, no need to carry all that guilt. You did the best you knew [at the time]....and, how lucky is "Blitz" to get all the love & respect from all your knowledge now!

Thank you and your wrong about one thing. Its how lucking I am to have a dog as smart and his willing to please me no matter what (I'm not trying to be rude Roz, I hope you know that). There is a connection between Blitz and I that I have never experienced with any dog ever. King was smart and was a great dog yet there is something very different about him. I don't know if its the higher breed standard, my knowledge base is greater, combination of both or none of the above. Yet there is a huge difference with Blitz. He always checks on me, will get items out of my reach, so willing to assist me when we leave the house. I just hope one day to meet some of yall and then we can not only compare notes; we can show off our lil helpers.....

Edited by guitarest

I just hope one day to meet some of yall and then we can not only compare notes; we can show off our lil helpers.....

I never thought I'd meet, much less cruise with a lovely and giving lady [who works with Canine Assistants] from Georgia......so, be careful what you hope for!!!!!

I never thought I'd meet, much less cruise with a lovely and giving lady [who works with Canine Assistants] from Georgia......so, be careful what you hope for!!!!!

I know for a fact when my grandson is born in March of 2012 I will be in the LA Area. Hopefully I will have time and you will be home from all the cruises....

Mornin' all:

Nancy, So sorry to hear about your mom and Travis. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Thank you... and if any others are on here I would like to thank all those who served. There is one other group of people I would like to thank; I would like to thank those defendant wives and husbands. Without those individuals those in the military would not be able to serve this country in foreign lands worrying about their affairs in the states.

Edited by guitarest

Guitarist, that article in the newspaper was priceless. I loved it!!!!! Congratulations on serving in our military and THANK YOU!!!!

My brother served in Vietnam and, is and always will be, one of my hero's!

I hear ya Roz, I have two heros, my Father and my Son. Father was a original Snake Eater (Special Forces in Vietnam) and my son is a US Marine.

Thank you for your service Jocko and thanks to all who have served our country or have kept the "home fires" burning. I'm spending Veteran's Day as I do every year--convincing Leo (20 years USAF) that Veteran's Day is NOT a gift-giving holiday! :)

That is very cute...... ;)

Thank you for your service Jocko and thanks to all who have served our country or have kept the "home fires" burning. I'm spending Veteran's Day as I do every year--convincing Leo (20 years USAF) that Veteran's Day is NOT a gift-giving holiday! :)

Depends on who is doing the giving...

Well the luck of Cindy strikes again. Yesterday I tripped on an uneven sidewalk and fell. I have a scraped up knee and an ankle the size of a baseball. I can barely walk. UGH!!!!!!!! Enough already!!! :mad: This is just crazy. I am suppose to go home tomorrow and help mom, luckily it's not my driving foot, but don't know how much help I will be. Now John is up and I gotta go help him. :D

Well the luck of Cindy strikes again. Yesterday I tripped on an uneven sidewalk and fell. I have a scraped up knee and an ankle the size of a baseball. I can barely walk. UGH!!!!!!!! Enough already!!! :mad: This is just crazy. I am suppose to go home tomorrow and help mom, luckily it's not my driving foot, but don't know how much help I will be. Now John is up and I gotta go help him. :D

"UGH" is right! I hope you get better real soon. I know you know this but try to keep that ankle elevated as much as possible (in between all the things you do for others ;)), take some anti-inflammatory meds, and maybe wrap it in an ace bandage.

Wow sounds painful... :(

Cindy, ouch...don't falls hurt, both your pride and the injured part. I was tripped up once by one of the pups, fell, skinned both knees and my elbow. And of course the puppy started jumping and licking my face when I was on the ground......

Getting excited for Roz and Mr or Ms Successor. Can't wait for a new round of storie!!!

Not much knew here. Wedding plans continue for my daughter. Rich and I are finally starting to heal and enjoy life again. This summer was so rough for both of us. Planning a "sailing" trip next Fall with great friends. Quite a bit different from cruising, but, something we really love as well. Still looking at a Panama Cruise crossing as well, maybe in Febuary.

No new doggy stories. Mackey and Cooler continue to progress. Sandy is still itchy, but improving. Off all steroids now, then weaning her from antihistamines before allergy testing beguins. I'll keep everyone posted.

Warm Wags,,,

Aw! Geez! I thought I'd check-in before heading for bed and seeing Brenda [tomorrow] at her "farewell" party at work tomorrow and what do I see.......Cindy has fallen, I'm so sorry.....please take dobiemom's advice and elevate and ice it. You know it's going to take time for it to heal...it's worse than a break in that the inflammation is so annoying until it goes away.

Cindy, you've got a cruise coming-up very soon.....do we have to put you in a cage to protect you?

Cindy, ouch...don't falls hurt, both your pride and the injured part. I was tripped up once by one of the pups, fell, skinned both knees and my elbow. And of course the puppy started jumping and licking my face when I was on the ground......

Getting excited for Roz and Mr or Ms Successor. Can't wait for a new round of storie!!!

Not much knew here. Wedding plans continue for my daughter. Rich and I are finally starting to heal and enjoy life again. This summer was so rough for both of us. Planning a "sailing" trip next Fall with great friends. Quite a bit different from cruising, but, something we really love as well. Still looking at a Panama Cruise crossing as well, maybe in Febuary.

No new doggy stories. Mackey and Cooler continue to progress. Sandy is still itchy, but improving. Off all steroids now, then weaning her from antihistamines before allergy testing beguins. I'll keep everyone posted.

Warm Wags,,,

It was a rough summer for you and your family, I hope you, Rich and your beautiful daughters are finding some sort of "normal" again. Please give my regards to Rich and let us know how your planning is going for that Panama Canal cruise.

We're going to Eugene to spend Thanksgiving with our daughter, they're expecting some snow....I hope so, that would be fun. And, then it will only be one week before I go to CCI for "Successor", so exciting!