Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well...we went to a great CCI graduation on Saturday. We saw our puppy raiser friends puppy graduate and go to a very nice young lady who lives with her husband in upstate NY. We also saw our other friend get her successor dog. We also got to see all the trainers and kennel staff. It was a very long day but one I'm glad I didn't miss.

I've done everything Dobiemom has suggested. I cannot put on a shoe which is the crappy part. My foot is so swollen and now purple that shoes are not going to fit for a while. I had promised mom and my son that I would be going down to CT today, so I guess I'm going shoeless. It's going to be 60's today so maybe I can wear a flip-flop.

Our cruise cannot come soon enough for me. But we got to get through the Holidays first. John decided since I got a new camera (old one was having major problems) that he needed a new TV! :eek: The excuses men come up with to get something they want is incredible. As far as I'm concerned, we didn't need a new one. But my son is thrilled cuz now he's gettting a camera and a tv. As he says "Merry Christmas to me". He is already getting a cruise and new luggage, which is actually his present. What a spoiled brat!!

So I will hobble home today and talk to all of you tomorrow. Thank you for all your concern. It's much appreciated. :D

Mornin' all:

Cindy: I demand the turd fairy leaves you alone! I agree, hubby keeps saying we need a new TV. BS, the one we have is fine, pull you chair closer if you can't see it, or better yet, go get your eyes examined and get new glasses since it has been, oh, about 8 years since the last pair! :D

Roz: I am not going to tell you to have a great day with our star Ms. Brenny. My eyes are already welling up. Chin up ladies. After Thanksgiving only 1 week? It will never get here, then sneak up on us and "Wham" sucessor is home and getting all loved on!

I've done everything Dobiemom has suggested. I cannot put on a shoe which is the crappy part. My foot is so swollen and now purple that shoes are not going to fit for a while. I had promised mom and my son that I would be going down to CT today, so I guess I'm going shoeless. It's going to be 60's today so maybe I can wear a flip-flop.

Our cruise cannot come soon enough for me. But we got to get through the Holidays first. John decided since I got a new camera (old one was having major problems) that he needed a new TV! :eek: The excuses men come up with to get something they want is incredible. As far as I'm concerned, we didn't need a new one. But my son is thrilled cuz now he's gettting a camera and a tv. As he says "Merry Christmas to me". He is already getting a cruise and new luggage, which is actually his present. What a spoiled brat!!

So I will hobble home today and talk to all of you tomorrow. Thank you for all your concern. It's much appreciated. :D

Have you tried elevating the leg? I have issues with clots and the vein ladders stuck open so my left foot is a size larger than the right. I elevate the foot when possible it does allow for blood and other body fluids to drain.

Okay; "body fluids"; "blood"....yuck!!!!! Let's move on to more fun topic......

Let's talk about Brenny's "good bye - retirement" party. She was all dolled-up with her "Sunday-go-to-church" collar on - There were pictures of her, a really cute card, signed by all, streamers, lots of fellow workers, chocolate cake and, even a gold watch [a toy one, of course.] Everyone wanted to know when the new dog is coming and will I bring Brenda back for visits [yes], as she went roaming through the room getting pats and big kisses on the head.

I've been on the job for 14 1/2 years. I've seen lots of people come and go but this group of folks are really some of the nicest and warmest towards Brenda [who's been here for 9 years.] There used to be a gal who would "shush" Brenda away when she would go near her.....she suddenly passed away, last year!!!! Uh! Oh! Boy, did I get blamed for that one!!!!

I wish you could have all been here.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Let's talk about Brenny's "good bye - retirement" party. She was all dolled-up with her "Sunday-go-to-church" collar on - There were pictures of her, a really cute card, signed by all, streamers, lots of fellow workers, chocolate cake and, even a gold watch [a toy one, of course.] Everyone wanted to know when the new dog is coming and will I bring Brenda back for visits [yes], as she went roaming through the room getting pats and big kisses on the head.

I've been on the job for 14 1/2 years. I've seen lots of people come and go but this group of folks are really some of the nicest and warmest towards Brenda [who's been here for 9 years.] There used to be a gal who would "shush" Brenda away when she would go near her.....she suddenly passed away, last year!!!! Uh! Oh! Boy, did I get blamed for that one!!!!

Sounds like it was a great party! :D And it sounds like you work with a great bunch of people! That's always so nice since we are with our "work" family almost more than we are with our regular families--if you don't count the hours sleeping! ;)

Sounds like it was a great party! :D And it sounds like you work with a great bunch of people! That's always so nice since we are with our "work" family almost more than we are with our regular families--if you don't count the hours sleeping! ;)

Boy, isn't that the truth. I swear, I live and do more with my "work family" than I do with my own! I'm very lucky to have such great folks around me every day! Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a fabulous dog to cut all the tension too!!!!! ;)

Well...we went to a great CCI graduation on Saturday. We saw our puppy raiser friends puppy graduate and go to a very nice young lady who lives with her husband in upstate NY. We also saw our other friend get her successor dog. We also got to see all the trainers and kennel staff. It was a very long day but one I'm glad I didn't miss.

This is the very best part of all of this Working/Service dog stuff........the support we get from each other.

I hope I won't miss out on the "Puppyraiser" and the specialness of it all, when I get "Successor!"

This is the very best part of all of this Working/Service dog stuff........the support we get from each other.

I hope I won't miss out on the "Puppyraiser" and the specialness of it all, when I get "Successor!"

With any luck your puppy raisers will be there to hand over the leash. It's also a time for them to see the dog they raised for what could be the last time depending where they live. I know they have done that here on the east coast before. Whether it's a big celebration or something small, the bottom line is you go home with a new partner. :D

There used to be a gal who would "shush":eek: Brenda away when she would go near her.....she suddenly passed away, last year!!!! Uh! Oh! Boy, did I get blamed for that one!!!! I wish you could have all been here.

A toy watch, that is such a cute idea! I hadn't even thought of your co-workers missing Ms. Brenny. She was such a fixture for 9 years, of course they will. I am sure she will get some visits in. We use to have a friend that would call our dobie "Bullet" over then push him away and tell him to go lay down. Now how dumb is that to call him then shush him away? Hubby told him not to call him if he didn't want him by him.

So, more count down time. The wait is escruitiating! :( I can't even imagine what you and Morey are going thru.

Sounds like a great time! We also had 2 of our puppy raisers (from our monthly class) graduate. Congrats to all!!

Mornin' all:

Cindy: I demand the turd fairy leaves you alone! I agree, hubby keeps saying we need a new TV. BS, the one we have is fine, pull you chair closer if you can't see it, or better yet, go get your eyes examined and get new glasses since it has been, oh, about 8 years since the last pair! :D

Roz: I am not going to tell you to have a great day with our star Ms. Brenny. My eyes are already welling up. Chin up ladies. After Thanksgiving only 1 week? It will never get here, then sneak up on us and "Wham" sucessor is home and getting all loved on!

The turd fairy? I love it!!! OMG please tell it to leave us alone.

They all THINK they need something new. Our tv would prob last another 10 years. When it comes to men and their toys, I just step aside and shut up. :eek:

Have you tried elevating the leg? I have issues with clots and the vein ladders stuck open so my left foot is a size larger than the right. I elevate the foot when possible it does allow for blood and other body fluids to drain.

I've tried it all! My foot is now purple, (which is my favorite color when it's not on my foot) and still incredibly swollen. Of course running around with mom all day, then with my son, and driving here and doing groceries hasn't helped. At some point today I am going to lay down and ice it again.

Sounds like a great time Roz! You know if we all could have been there we would have. You seem to have a nice group of people there. I remember when Rangeley had pancreatitis (sp) Johns school collected almost 2,000 for his hospital bills. Just goes to show that these dogs not only make our lives better, but the people around us benefit too!!!!

I am praying that you get the best puppy raiser ever!!! It's awesome to keep in touch, send pics and see eachother once in a while. I hope it's someone close and wants to keep in touch with you and successor.

Sounds like a great time! We also had 2 of our puppy raisers (from our monthly class) graduate. Congrats to all!!

Cindy,

There were, I think, 11 graduates. There were 28 matriculating pups. And with all the other service doga and pups in training, there must have been at least 75 dogs there. And we only heard 2 barks through the entire graduation. I pity the poor person who had to vacuum that room after we left. :eek:

The turd fairy? I love it!!! OMG please tell it to leave us alone.

They all THINK they need something new. Our tv would prob last another 10 years. When it comes to men and their toys, I just step aside and shut up. :eek:

So true.....Morey loves cars [we have 3 vehicles, why? Such a waste] and I swear he's such a "hoarder" - If I didn't keep an eye on what he saves we'd be knee-deep in his collectibles. I'm allowed to dust them but I can't throw anything away!!!!! :mad:

Sounds like a great time Roz! You know if we all could have been there we would have. You seem to have a nice group of people there. I remember when Rangeley had pancreatitis (sp) Johns school collected almost 2,000 for his hospital bills. Just goes to show that these dogs not only make our lives better, but the people around us benefit too!!!!

I love the people who adore our dogs......they're the best!!!!! :)

I am praying that you get the best puppy raiser ever!!! It's awesome to keep in touch, send pics and see eachother once in a while. I hope it's someone close and wants to keep in touch with you and successor.

I would love to keep in touch and share pictures of my dogs many adventures as he/she gets older.....I hope I get a Puppyraiser who wants and is interested in watching all their hard work go to someone who absolutely adores their puppy!

Even if they're not so close, I would keep them in the loop.

Cindy,

There were, I think, 11 graduates. There were 28 matriculating pups. And with all the other service doga and pups in training, there must have been at least 75 dogs there. And we only heard 2 barks through the entire graduation. I pity the poor person who had to vacuum that room after we left. :eek:

Wow! How much fun was that!!!!! I can't even imagine what work it would be to clean the floors/carpets from all those dogs.......I only have one and her hair is EVERYWHERE!!!!!

I've tried it all! My foot is now purple, (which is my favorite color when it's not on my foot) and still incredibly swollen. Of course running around with mom all day, then with my son, and driving here and doing groceries hasn't helped. At some point today I am going to lay down and ice it again.

Big OWWWWWIE!!!!!! You really injured it! Sorry! :(

A toy watch, that is such a cute idea! I hadn't even thought of your co-workers missing Ms. Brenny. She was such a fixture for 9 years, of course they will. I am sure she will get some visits in. We use to have a friend that would call our dobie "Bullet" over then push him away and tell him to go lay down. Now how dumb is that to call him then shush him away? Hubby told him not to call him if he didn't want him by him.

So, more count down time. The wait is escruitiating! :( I can't even imagine what you and Morey are going thru.

It is absolutely painful!!!!!! Although, there's so much to do inbetween then and now. Of course, there has to be Thanksgiving thrown in there to keep me "overly" occupied.....Geezzz! I'm so danged busy for that holiday, I won't have time to even think of Brenny, let alone her adopted sibling!!!! :p