Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

The organization I will receive Jagger from does a graduation each year. While it's fun and important for the recipients of the dogs, it's really for the puppy raisers.

They put so much time and love into raising a dog, and then handing him/her over ...I can't even imagine how that feels. While I am sure it feels wonderful to know you've made a difference in someone's life...still...

At graduation they always have boxes and boxes of Kleenex. After attending last year, now I know why.

Like I said before, people like me are so grateful for people like you. I hope Davis likes college - but I am glad he has a home if he decides college isn't quite his cup of tea. You can be proud of him!

Now I have to go find some Kleenex....

To all you folks who have those gorgeously, handsome English Labs......give them an extra kiss and hug from Auntie Roz. Brenda Elizabeth was a pure Black English Lab and as she grew older she looked more like a bull dog. Such a beautiful girl.

When I got Horton Jeffrey, in all his magnificent, American Lab/Golden Retriever cross glory, I never thought I could love and admire a dog as much I loved and admired Brenny........But, he's so handsome and such a character that to know him is to truly love him!

As I get older and live with Horton I wonder if I will do it again. He just turned 6 and is as spry and youthful as he was the day I brought him home 3 1/2 years ago. Except, I love him more now than I did then.

We have lots more time together and he shows no signs of slowing down so thinking about a successor now is way too premature, I know......but when are WE too old to care for a Service Dog?

Such a personal thing, I know! And, honestly, I can't imagine my life without a CCI dog in it! ;)

He is out of the hospital but in rehab, and unfortunately the long-term prognosis is not very good. Also unfortunately most of the burden is falling on my wife.

I do appreciate you asking Beckie.

I'm sorry to hear his prognosis isn't the best. Please be assured that there are many of your friends here in the cyber universe who are keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers. Especially give our warmest most positive regards to your dear wife. This road is not one that anyone wants to travel.

Thank you for keeping us posted!

Beckie

Well DKD, you just boosted the stock in Kleenex. :) All of us are going to miss our Davis adventures, but we will be hopping up and down waiting for your new bundle of fur to arrive.

Just wondering if Orson gets attached to these young ones, or if he is indifferent when they go.

Thank you for including all of us!

Beckie

To all you folks who have those gorgeously, handsome English Labs......give them an extra kiss and hug from Auntie Roz. Brenda Elizabeth was a pure Black English Lab and as she grew older she looked more like a bull dog. Such a beautiful girl.

When I got Horton Jeffrey, in all his magnificent, American Lab/Golden Retriever cross glory, I never thought I could love and admire a dog as much I loved and admired Brenny........But, he's so handsome and such a character that to know him is to truly love him!

As I get older and live with Horton I wonder if I will do it again. He just turned 6 and is as spry and youthful as he was the day I brought him home 3 1/2 years ago. Except, I love him more now than I did then.

We have lots more time together and he shows no signs of slowing down so thinking about a successor now is way too premature, I know......but when are WE too old to care for a Service Dog?

Such a personal thing, I know! And, honestly, I can't imagine my life without a CCI dog in it! ;)

Roz,

I know that Gibson will appreciate all the extra hugs that you specified. He really never lacks in that department though. Yesterday I was leaning over in the back seat of the car to adjust Diana's oxygen concentrator. Gibson thought his Grammie must be in need of an ear lick. NO, thank you very much! Well then, if Grammie was going to stay leaning over in his space of the car she must need a hug. (He really does give hugs, wish I could post a video for you to see.) Needless to say my hair didn't look the same when I stood up.

I would say that maybe age 100 might be too old to care for a Service Dog. So you have many years of faithful service from CCI dogs ahead of you. :rolleyes:

You did something really wonderful when you started this thread. There is not a single one of us that can imagine life without our daily Roz and service partner fix.

Beckie

Well DKD, you just boosted the stock in Kleenex. :) All of us are going to miss our Davis adventures, but we will be hopping up and down waiting for your new bundle of fur to arrive.

Just wondering if Orson gets attached to these young ones, or if he is indifferent when they go.

Thank you for including all of us!

Beckie

I'm not sure if Orson wants to help Davis pack or bar the door so another little ear and ankle biter doesn't walk in the door. Orson

will be nine next month. These kids are starting to get to him at

times.

Thank you all for the well wishes!!

Well...the countdown has begun. This is the last week with Davis. We will be turning him for advanced training on Friday. Hopefully he likes college and becomes someone's amazing service dog. If not, we have a local family that wants him. So if Davis and college aren't a match, we hope this local family will be lucky enough to get him as a pet. The hole in my heart is starting to grow as I type this. But with any luck, when we get back from Disney World, we will be picking up our next challenge. Friday is gonna be a long day.

Davis-Easter%202015.jpg

As someone on CCI's waiting list, thank you, thank you, thank you for raising Davis. Whoever ends up with Davis is going to be eternally grateful. I can only imagine how hard it is going to be to give him up, but he will change someone else's life.

Dianne

Edited by DUTRAVEL

As someone on CCI's waiting list, thank you, thank you, thank you for raising Davis. Whoever ends up with Davis is going to be eternally grateful. I can only imagine how hard it is going to be to give him up, but he will change someone's else life.

Dianne

I hope you get matched soon, Dianne! And it's true, it's people like DKD that make it possible. :)

Beckie's kind post reminded me that I owe you guys a summary of the travel insurance experience...well here it is - I posted it on the insurance board and here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2207632

I will be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for posting the insurance info. Its good to know that it can actually work. Best of luck to your brother-in-law.

Dianne

Well...the countdown has begun. This is the last week with Davis. We will be turning him for advanced training on Friday. Hopefully he likes college and becomes someone's amazing service dog. If not, we have a local family that wants him. So if Davis and college aren't a match, we hope this local family will be lucky enough to get him as a pet. The hole in my heart is starting to grow as I type this. But with any luck, when we get back from Disney World, we will be picking up our next challenge. Friday is gonna be a long day.

Davis-Easter%202015.jpg

DKD - you have one of the biggest hearts with all you do and I for one would not be doing this journey with Aruba if you hadn't been doing what you do! I remember you telling us, that if we can raise a pup and that pup heads off to school with its head held high and doesn't look back, then we've done a good job. I'm sure you have done a brilliant job with Davis. My head right now wants Aruba to do well, but as for my heart, well that's a bit like I imagine yours is feeling right now. All we can do is love them and let them go on to their next adventure.

Aruba has just strolled nonchalantly in from her last visit outside before bedtime, and I'm just going to go grab her for an extra big cuddle!

I hope you get matched soon, Dianne! And it's true, it's people like DKD that make it possible. :)

Thanks me too! I have been on the waiting list for almost a year and a half - so hopefully it will happen soon.

Dianne

Beckie's kind post reminded me that I owe you guys a summary of the travel insurance experience...well here it is - I posted it on the insurance board and here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2207632

I will be happy to answer any questions.

Sending you every best wish for your brother in law and your family.

Good luck to Davis and good luck to you on getting over his absence! You know you're awesome for raising him!

June, no actual date yet. She goes in on Friday for her spay op, has to rest for two weeks after that, and then ............

Wow - just when we all finish bawling over Davis leaving, we get to do it again for Aruba!...gonna be a rough few weeks for sure.

Just think though how wonderful the new owners will feel when they are united with both of them.

I cannot imagine the emotions your two families are going through right now. All of us on this thread are thinking of you guys...

Well, we would love to do all of this again ..... But and its a big but, we are going to wait until we see how Madame Aruba gets on. And we have a cruise planned for late summer - and I think our two, who have been so good with her, need a wee break themselves and all of my attention for a few weeks.

But I've heard these Guide Dog folk have a habit of turning up with a new pup before you can say "cheerio" to the first one! LOL! And I don't think I would be able to say "no" if that happened!

My DH keeps telling me they gave us such a smasher this time to guarantee us having another one! :rolleyes:

I spent the afternoon today starting work on Aruba's photo album, and looking back I can't believe how fast this year has gone! She spent the afternoon snoring at my feet! :D

image.jpg.917b1966b4609640c2121b372a7ff220.jpg

Wow - just when we all finish bawling over Davis leaving, we get to do it again for Aruba!...gonna be a rough few weeks for sure.

Just think though how wonderful the new owners will feel when they are united with both of them.

I cannot imagine the emotions your two families are going through right now. All of us on this thread are thinking of you guys...

That's what keeps me going .... That someone, somewhere will have this beautiful girl to help them.