Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Rangeley - they are so hard done by! I don't think! LOL!

I am happy to report that Aruba's op went very well and she is now home, sleeping it off in her lovely comfy bed right next to me so I can keep a close eye on her. She's a bit woozy, hasn't eaten anything yet but I'm going to leave her to sleep it off and we will try a little bit of her food at normal tea time. She goes back on Monday for a post op check.

"The two starved babies" have recovered from having a late breakfast and are running around somewhere with the DH, building up an appetite for their tea, I'm sure! They've also managed to stuff quite a few treats down into their bottomless pit of Labrador stomach, that's between snoozing on their sofa, chewing their toys and generally being doggy layabouts! Oh the life of a Labrador dog! ;) :)

Have a great weekend everyone! :).

Rangeley - they are so hard done by! I don't think! LOL!

I am happy to report that Aruba's op went very well and she is now home, sleeping it off in her lovely comfy bed right next to me so I can keep a close eye on her. She's a bit woozy, hasn't eaten anything yet but I'm going to leave her to sleep it off and we will try a little bit of her food at normal tea time. She goes back on Monday for a post op check.

"The two starved babies" have recovered from having a late breakfast and are running around somewhere with the DH, building up an appetite for their tea, I'm sure! They've also managed to stuff quite a few treats down into their bottomless pit of Labrador stomach, that's between snoozing on their sofa, chewing their toys and generally being doggy layabouts! Oh the life of a Labrador dog! ;) :)

Have a great weekend everyone! :).

Glad to hear everything is ok. Poor thing, I'm sure she will sleep most of the day.

Is everyone sitting down? I have been accepted by CCI to attend team training in August (Northwest Region)! I can hardly believe it since it seems like I have been waiting forever. I can't tell you how excited I am!

Dianne

PS to Fairbourne - glad to hear that Aruba made it through her surgery and is back home.

Is everyone sitting down? I have been accepted by CCI to attend team training in August (Northwest Region)! I can hardly believe it since it seems like I have been waiting forever. I can't tell you how excited I am!

Dianne

PS to Fairbourne - glad to hear that Aruba made it through her surgery and is back home.

Oh Dianne - that's just fabulous news - congratulations! :D. Do they tell you anything about the dog you might be paired with, or is this to find the perfect match?

Dianne

Congrats!!!!! :D:D:D Thats so great. Too bad we have to wait til August.

Dianne

Hooray Dianne! We are so thrilled for you. Remember we want lots of stories and pictures of your new adventure.

Thanks!

Beckie (Mayor of Lurkerville)

Aruba had a good night, in fact she slept well. She didn't eat anything yesterday and had half her normal breakfast kibble with some high protein liver food mixed through. She's still a bit sleepy, but stole the DH's slipper, so getting back to normal!

Yes Holly, I feel so much better today, thank you! :) - I hated seeing her like that. I did think I would spend the night downstairs sleeping on the sofa, keeping an eye on her, and if she was restless, but she went off to bed as normal wearing a "Buster" collar, and she was very settled, so we decided to leave her there and we would go to bed and whichever one of us got up in the night for a comfort break would go down and check on her. Well, I knew I was onto a winner as I never get up during the night! ;):D So needless to say, the DH went down in the early hours to check on her and she was fine, so we left her be. I was up at 6 and we all went out.

She has to be kept on a lead now for all exercise for 2 weeks. And that means also when she goes out to do what she has to do, as they usually all have a charge around the garden when they are out.

The other two starved puppies have been eating well, have had lots of biscuits so have decided for now to not put the SSPCA or Aunty Rangeley on speed dial!

Photo - "Boat drill anyone?"

image.jpg.e2af119c4ad1b964be2052030d2276c5.jpg

Thanks to all for the congratulations on the service dog. I still can hardly believe that it is actually going to happen. The training will be in Santa Rosa, CA which is about 90 minutes from where I live. You have to go stay there for two weeks for the training.

Fairbourne, they don't match you ahead of time - they have more than one dog in mind for you and then decide which is the best match after working together for a couple of days. They only have labs, goldens and lab/golden crosses at CCI. I have a feeling it is going to be a large male dog because of the type of things I asked that the dog be able to do. So only two more months to wait!

Dianne

I got good news while at the event this weekend. MAWP (My Angel With Paws) told me I could pick up Jagger today and keep him until Friday. :)

I have to go to an outing on Saturday that probably is too much too soon for Jagger on Saturday. But almost a whole week with him!

Dianne - I bet you are still over the moon!

How's Aruba this morning?

Holly

Hi everyone, hope you're all well! :)

Aruba is doing really well and pretty much back to normal! She's got to be kept on lead exercise till she heals and she's not that keen on being restricted all the time! She's a bouncy girl and loves running rings around Max and Poppy! She's been so good wearing her "boat drill" collar but only wears it in her bed at night or if we think she's a bit "interested" in her underbelly! But she's been very good and had her post op checks today at the vet and all is well. I'm always amazed at how quickly animals bounce back after major surgery.

For those of you who live in the UK, there is programme on ITV1 tomorrow (Tuesday 9 June) evening at 8pm about Guide Dogs for the Blind - all about the pups, puppy walkers and training. I'm not sure if you would be able to watch this overseas on ITV player.

Holly - that's wonderful you're having more time with your special boy! :D.

Thanks to all for the congratulations on the service dog. I still can hardly believe that it is actually going to happen. The training will be in Santa Rosa, CA which is about 90 minutes from where I live. You have to go stay there for two weeks for the training.

Fairbourne, they don't match you ahead of time - they have more than one dog in mind for you and then decide which is the best match after working together for a couple of days. They only have labs, goldens and lab/golden crosses at CCI. I have a feeling it is going to be a large male dog because of the type of things I asked that the dog be able to do. So only two more months to wait!

Dianne

That's what they do here - it's very interesting how they match everyone up. It won't be long now. :)

Wow! Such great news from everyone!

Aruba, you sweet darling, you did your surgery and are recovering. I'm so glad that it all went well for you. The picture of you, with your big eyes is so sweet! It means that it won't be long now and your family will be sending you off to formal training. Life will certainly be different for you. I have such hopes for your future, as I'm sure your Mum & Dad do!

Fairbourne, we're all here for you. As DKD can attest to, the knowledge of what she'll soon be doing with her life must make your heart sing! She will have such great purpose!

Dianne, Congratulations! August is just around the corner. Just think your forever friend/partner is waiting for you. Do you have any thoughts on whether it will be a he/she...yellow/black? It didn't matter how much I guessed, I was wrong! Trust in the trainers and their brilliance at what they do. They know so much more than we do!

I know how excited you are. It's the most wonderful time of your life, right now: To be matched with a dog who will make your world so much more rich and fuller.

Holly, I hope your time with Jagger is good for both of you. You must be so happy to have him for a whole week.

Everyone is having such positive experiences with their dogs. It's great news!

Oh! Jagger! You look so cute! Sometimes we humans get so carried away with our adorable dogs. Enjoy the attention and love.

I don't think any more love and joy could be thrown your way!

Dianne, I have a very soft spot in my heart for CCI Santa Rosa-Charles & Jean Shultz Campus. It's where I received Brenda and Horton. The grounds are spectacular for the dogs to run and enjoy themselves and the dorm rooms and kitchen is just like home, only with concrete floors.

I cooked many a delicious meal in that kitchen. The laundry facilities are really nice if you want to bring your own bedding and towels.

I brought my own notebook, pens/pencils.

Bring comfortable shoes/clothes and sleepwear.

I was there during the winter months and boy does it rain there. You'll be there during the summer, which should be really lovely.

Breathe.......think.....and have fun!!!! You'll be going home with the most amazing being you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting!

I know, it will be so exciting to hear about Dianne's adventures in Santa Rosa. CCI is such a great organization.

And yeah, I just love that goofball, Jagger. You should have seen him chasing his tail today....

MAWP likes to train the dogs to wear different things so they will be open to whatever will be thrown their way. A graduation cap, a harness, etc.

Edited by thephantomsgirl

I got good news while at the event this weekend. MAWP (My Angel With Paws) told me I could pick up Jagger today and keep him until Friday. :)

I have to go to an outing on Saturday that probably is too much too soon for Jagger on Saturday. But almost a whole week with him!

Dianne - I bet you are still over the moon!

How's Aruba this morning?

Holly

Holly, that's great that you get to keep Jagger all week!

Dianne

Dianne, I have a very soft spot in my heart for CCI Santa Rosa-Charles & Jean Shultz Campus. It's where I received Brenda and Horton. The grounds are spectacular for the dogs to run and enjoy themselves and the dorm rooms and kitchen is just like home, only with concrete floors.

I cooked many a delicious meal in that kitchen. The laundry facilities are really nice if you want to bring your own bedding and towels.

I brought my own notebook, pens/pencils.

Bring comfortable shoes/clothes and sleepwear.

I was there during the winter months and boy does it rain there. You'll be there during the summer, which should be really lovely.

Breathe.......think.....and have fun!!!! You'll be going home with the most amazing being you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting!

Thanks Roz - I hope the next two months go by fast!

Dianne

Dianne

Congratulations!!!! :D That's not too far away at all, so very exciting that we should have a new service dog in the group soon!

Dianne, are you booked on the Princess 50th Anniversary Cruise onboard the Pacific Princess on December 3rd?

If so, you'll have your new dog and Horton will be onboard too. That would be so much fun.

Roz, we are not on that cruise, but that would be so much fun! It must be very popular, it looks like it is sold out. As of now, our next cruise is a 2016 Panama Canal.

Dianne

Edited by DUTRAVEL