Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and support. The finest thing you can do for me is to give your special "fur-baby (ies)" an extra hug and kiss and fully appreciate their unconditional love.

Done! Sending our best to you - these amazing animals are truly like losing a family member.

Dianne

Can you specifically name which cruise lines, with proof?

And we are talking only about voyages with ports of call in the U.S.

From the Royal Caribbean website (which is also the same for Celebrity and Azamara):

"Royal Caribbean International welcomes service dogs on all ships.* Please note we do not accept pets.

A service dog is defined as "any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability." Service dogs are not considered pets."

This is the definition of a "service animal" found under the ADA. Cruise lines that fall under the US federal rules, may only decline to carry a service animal if it is not housebroken or if it is not under the control of its user and the user does not take effective action to control it.

Emotional support animals are not "service animals" because they do not require any specific training - it is the presence of the animal that provides the benefit to the person with the disability.

The federal rules that apply to cruise ships, also provide that animals that do not meet the definition of a service animal may accompany an individual to assist with a disability, but the decision can be made on a case-by-case determination.

The Royal Caribbean website states:

"If you have an animal that does not meet the definition of a service animal (i.e. a dog trained to perform a task) but must accompany you in order to assist you with your disability, please contact our Access Department at least 60 days prior to sailing."

If a cruise line decides to allow an animal that does not meet the definition of a "service animal," the cruise line can impose conditions that cannot be imposed on a service animal. For example, you might not be allowed to have your dog with you in the dining room and/or you may be required to provide documentation (for example, a letter from your doctor).

I hope this helps clarify things. As Chris suggested, it is always a good idea to contact the cruise line ahead of time and get everything in writing. Good luck with planning your cruise.

Well, this Tuesday is our crazy day. Vet appt. at 9am, then we are off to the USDA office in Harrisburg. The closer office we usually use, as of the first of this year, is without a vet. Theirs retired at the end of last year, and they don't have a new one in place yet. I don't want to risk Fedexing the form up to Albany, as they suggested, so I made an appt. at the next closest...non closest really...office. I can always breathe a sigh of relief once I get that stamp.

We will be on the Caribbean Princess next Saturday, if anyone wants to wave to us. I'm so glad we weren't sailing today, with all that went on in Fort Lauderdale today. A short while ago, I checked the ship cam and she was still docked in Port Everglades.

Wish us luck. The weather should be good for traveling/driving on those days.

Cindra

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi everyone. My assignment as a Host, as most of you know, is to deal with a variety of issues from assisting newbies to dealing with CC guideline issues. However, although I'm not an owner of a service dog, my appreciation for everyone involved in the field has grown enormously as this thread has continued.

Sadly today, because of serious illness, this afternoon we will have to put down one of our two miniature schnauzers after the long and happy life she has made for us since we became her guardians. Her name is Pinot Noir based on her unusual black color and she's been one of the sweetest dogs we've ever owned.

Although it doesn't make things easier, over the years there have been superbly written remembrances by several of you who have had to endure the same emotional pain that we are going through right now. Those remembrances are providing us comfort today as we say our very difficult farewell.

My gratitude to you all just for being so caring of your service dogs and for being so open and positive about the bonds you have created with your canine-heroes and with all of us who have participated in this thread.

Thank you for giving me a place to release a little of my personal pain. And yes, real men do cry.

Oh Walt! I'm so sorry. Even though it has to be done, it's the hardest thing ever. I'm sure Pinot has the best life. And yes, people that don't even know you are crying for you too. 😭

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I'm sure everyone has heard about the incident at the Ft Lauderdale airport yesterday. As some of you know, for me flying is the worst thing ever. After totally freaking out yesterday, I've calmed down but now I'm going to be an even worst wreck next weekend. Ugh!! All appointments made. I'm finally feeling better after 22 days of being sick.

Cindra, didn't realize we were cruising the same weekend! We will fly to Ft lauderdale but will cruise out of Miami. Hope you have a great cruise! Been a rough month and I'm so excited to be taking my son and DIL with us. We also have some good friends that will be on the ship too. Can't wait!!

I'm sure everyone has heard about the incident at the Ft Lauderdale airport yesterday. As some of you know, for me flying is the worst thing ever. After totally freaking out yesterday, I've calmed down but now I'm going to be an even worst wreck next weekend. Ugh!! All appointments made. I'm finally feeling better after 22 days of being sick.

Cindra, didn't realize we were cruising the same weekend! We will fly to Ft lauderdale but will cruise out of Miami. Hope you have a great cruise! Been a rough month and I'm so excited to be taking my son and DIL with us. We also have some good friends that will be on the ship too. Can't wait!! [END QUOTE]

Wow! What a coincidence. Wouldn't it have been funny if we were booked on the same cruise? Which ship and which ports will you be in? Maybe we will be in one together. We are hitting Curaçao, Aruba and Bonaire the first week. Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel the second.

Edited by tvaud

Cindra, didn't realize we were cruising the same weekend! We will fly to Ft lauderdale but will cruise out of Miami. Hope you have a great cruise! Been a rough month and I'm so excited to be taking my son and DIL with us. We also have some good friends that will be on the ship too. Can't wait!!

It sounds like you really need a cruise after being sick for so long, Cindy. Just keep picturing yourself on your balcony with feet up, a drink with a little umbrella in your hand, and the sun on your face. You deserve it.

It sounds like you really need a cruise after being sick for so long, Cindy. Just keep picturing yourself on your balcony with feet up, a drink with a little umbrella in your hand, and the sun on your face. You deserve it.

I'm picturing it !!!! Especially after 7 or so inches of snow yesterday. A mango meltdown (a special drink on ncl) is waiting for me !!!

Well, this Tuesday is our crazy day. Vet appt. at 9am, then we are off to the USDA office in Harrisburg. The closer office we usually use, as of the first of this year, is without a vet. Theirs retired at the end of last year, and they don't have a new one in place yet. I don't want to risk Fedexing the form up to Albany, as they suggested, so I made an appt. at the next closest...non closest really...office. I can always breathe a sigh of relief once I get that stamp.

Its always a relief to get the papers signed, endorsed and out of the way. Have a great cruise!

Dianne

We will be on the Caribbean Princess next Saturday, if anyone wants to wave to us. I'm so glad we weren't sailing today, with all that went on in Fort Lauderdale today. A short while ago, I checked the ship cam and she was still docked in Port Everglades.

Wish us luck. The weather should be good for traveling/driving on those days.

Cindra

Cindra, good luck at the Vet.......And Bon~Voyage, if I don't get a chance before you actually leave. I wish you calm seas and sun shiny days!!!!

Cindy, I wish you and your family and friends a wonderful, sunny and restful vacation. You have definitely earned this one......BON~VOYAGE Wexy, have fun, get lots of sun! You don't have to think about weather or crazy people for a whole week!!!!

Holly and I are Facebook friends and they are both doing great (except for putting up with our cold Florida weather). Of course, cold is a relative term.

Possibly they aren't cruising any time soon, so haven't checked in lately.

Cindra, let us know how it goes tomorrow! Good luck with the USDA.

Holly and I are Facebook friends and they are both doing great (except for putting up with our cold Florida weather). Of course, cold is a relative term.

Possibly they aren't cruising any time soon, so haven't checked in lately.

Cindra, let us know how it goes tomorrow! Good luck with the USDA.

Thanks Chris, there I was going backwards in our thread......it has been months since she's checked in.....it seems once she moved and then graduated she became inundated with life.

Holly, if you have a chance let us know how life is treating you and Jagger.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

And I was thinking too we haven't heard from DKD lately either. Or maybe I missed him.

I have some news ..... Bonnie is going to training school next week for her assessment with a trainer for a few days. So I'm being very hopeful that next week will bring news that she will be accepted for formal training - I do hope so!

Yesterday she was very keen to go to work - out with me in the car and then a walk around a shopping mall - she has been a bit tardy lately with her season and all that going on. So it was great and we were working well, until this idiot started clucking at her. I'm afraid I did say to him "Don't do that!" In my best Maggie Smith (aka Miss Jean Brodie) voice! I was then standing looking at something on a shelf with my DH and of course Bonnie standing right by me. The aisle was very narrow and this woman came around the corner, looked at us (we did take up the whole aisle), then just stood there staring at us. None of us moved, and she looked like she was about to say "can I squeeze past" or maybe she was just going to barge through. Of course if I had been a guide dog owner, I wouldn't have seen her! But I really think she expected us to move out of her way! It was not like she couldn't go around us another way! Maybe I'm being over sensitive after watching that BBC film the other day!

Cindy - have a great cruise, I could do with some sun too! We have snow forecast and high winds later this week.

And I was thinking too we haven't heard from DKD lately either. Or maybe I missed him.

I have some news ..... Bonnie is going to training school next week for her assessment with a trainer for a few days. So I'm being very hopeful that next week will bring news that she will be accepted for formal training - I do hope so!

Yesterday she was very keen to go to work - out with me in the car and then a walk around a shopping mall - she has been a bit tardy lately with her season and all that going on. So it was great and we were working well, until this idiot started clucking at her. I'm afraid I did say to him "Don't do that!" In my best Maggie Smith (aka Miss Jean Brodie) voice! I was then standing looking at something on a shelf with my DH and of course Bonnie standing right by me. The aisle was very narrow and this woman came around the corner, looked at us (we did take up the whole aisle), then just stood there staring at us. None of us moved, and she looked like she was about to say "can I squeeze past" or maybe she was just going to barge through. Of course if I had been a guide dog owner, I wouldn't have seen her! But I really think she expected us to move out of her way! It was not like she couldn't go around us another way! Maybe I'm being over sensitive after watching that BBC film the other day!

Cindy - have a great cruise, I could do with some sun too! We have snow forecast and high winds later this week.

I hope that our dear "Orson" is doing okay with his health issues. I can only imagine how difficult it is to keep watch on our dear Service Dogs with such a diagnosis. I hope that DKD will give us a check-in report.

Bonnie, good luck on moving on to formal training! I don't know what you would do if you had to adopt another fur-baby!

Do the Guide dogs "alert" their handlers to the presence of others, like in your story of standing in an aisle.....would the dog let the handler know in some way that someone is walking past him or just standing nearby?

I've had many variations of how other shoppers handle Horton and me. Sometimes they'll just keep inching closer and closer with their cart in hopes that I will get the hint or they'll just stand there and wait for me to make the first move. Some will just turn around and go the other way! I try to keep my eye out for others and not let Horton monopolize the aisle-way!!!

It seems that the universal sign for "come play with me" is when someone is crouched down to get something on a lower shelve. I have to be very mindful of Horton who immediately wants to go to them and interact!!! Mostly poking his nose into their butt!!! So embarrassing!!!!

Good luck to Ms. Bonnie. I hope she does well!

Dianne

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Things have been crazy busy at home and at work. Orson is doing fine. The lump on his face is a little bigger but he was just at the vet and he actually gained a pound. He still wants to work. We are getting close to turning in Sutter. (February 10) It's not gonna be a good day. Because my daughter is near the top of the list for a successor dog, CCI will not let us puppy raise until she has bonded with her new dog, whenever that is. We are hoping for the April/May class.

Hi DKD - glad to know all is well with you and yours! But I have missed the one liners, usually (well always) because they were aimed at Her Majesty! LOL!!!

I know exactly how you will feel come 10th Feb - it's never a good day.

Roz, I don't know if the dogs are trained to alert their owner if someone gets too close or needs to get by - I will ask the question next week. I think probably not as it would be too confusing/disorienting for a blind person to know where the person was and where they were expected to move to. The other thing which I did not expect was when I've done blind fold walks was the swaying of the dog when it walks in the harness. Future guide dog owners are taken for walks with their trainer before they get their dog. The trainer takes hold of the harness and physically sways it to emulate the motion the dog makes naturally. You also have to walk with your left arm (holding the harness handle) straight down by your side. That's very different too as I had been used to walking our dogs with an outstretched arm. It's all this sort of thing that when you take your pet out for a walk on a standard leash that you do not notice. It's important I think for puppy walkers to do blind fold walks as it helps us understand the challenges blind or partially sighted folk have. And that, in turn, helps us understand why we do things in a certain way for training the pups. I was so disoriented the first time I honestly thought I was walking bearing off to the right i.e. Diagonally, and as I had seen the room, I thought I was going to walk straight into the wall! I wasn't of course, but it was such a strange feeling.

"We" went to the hairdresser today and after an initial checking everything out, Ms B settled down and enjoyed a lovely nap while I had my hair done. She adores my hairdresser which helps! So as far as going into places like this, she's very good. I'm taking her to the dentist next week - she's been before but someone has always come with me to keep an eye on her while I'm having my treatment - but this will be the first time I'm taking her on my own, so I have to trust her to lie down and stay while I have my hygiene visit as I clearly won't be able to watch her. So a big test for her - and me!

Glad your ok DKD.

Roz - ah the sniffing of "well anything seems to be fair game" as far as dogs are concerned! We do love them to bits but they can be quite disgusting creatures sometimes! :eek: I think that's why they adore children, everything is at perfect sniffing height for dogs! :rolleyes: